Pinside_forum_8029089_3774311 (resized).jpg
20240211_154907_1.gif
Pinside_forum_8020812_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8017530_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_4164 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4163 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20230907_160233590_BURST001 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,076 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 22.
#701 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

^^^ yes, that’s the one.

Thanks! I’ll troubleshoot that as well.

#702 2 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Not sure which part you’re referring to?

The hasp that hooks/locks the head to the cab.

#703 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Isn’t it the same as other ballys of the era with two hinges on the front then two bolts that go through the bottom of the head and thread into the neck? In any case, I don’t have a clasp. Marco has the over-center style clasp used on Williams games, maybe that would work?

#704 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My Fathom didn't have one.

#705 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I had similar weirdness with mine a long time ago, and the culprit was the connector for the relay module under the playfield. I replaced the connector and everything was fine. Of course all of this happened while the game was part of a temp trade. Trades and pinball shows seem to bring out the gremlins.

It’s not the solenoid expander board. The game boots as normal with all drops going up and down.

I unplugged the board and the game didn’t behave normally. The drops didn’t go back down. Plugged it back and the game behaves normally.

Could it be the solenoid driver board? I tested the fuse, and it was weak but registered.

This is so odd... Even the green arrow insert remains lit after locking the ball in the cave. Still digging...

#706 2 years ago

The best advice I can give is to start replacing connectors until the problem goes away. Connectors have been the culprit for at least 75% of my many early SS headaches.

#707 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The best advice I can give is to start replacing connectors until the problem goes away. Connectors have been the culprit for at least 75% of my many early SS headaches.

Thanks. The solenoid driver board does have one replacement connector. I’ll do the rest.

#708 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

When locking a ball in the Cave Trap, the game says ‘mermaids captured’ but another ball doesn’t kick out, and the drop targets don’t engage.

I had this problem right after I did my swap. Ended up being the gap in the sink hole switch.

When the ball would drop into the sink hole, it would close the switch just briefly enough to trigger the callout. But the switch was gapped *just* enough that it was open, even with the ball sitting in the sink hole.

Once I gapped the switch so it *remained* closed with the ball sitting in the hole it worked perfectly.

#709 2 years ago

I wonder why they did not put all the solder connections along the top edge of the penis?

Or at least put a secondary set of connections along the edge, allowing a normal .156 connector....

IMG_1575_1024x1024@2x (resized).jpgIMG_1575_1024x1024@2x (resized).jpg
#710 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I wonder why they did not put all the solder connections along the top edge of the penis?

Probably becasue the wires wouldn't reach.

#711 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They all spread out from the two trunks, if you put the connector there, you would have everything in a single location.

At least offer the option, like the aftermarket KISS lamp board does. Would not cost a single penny extra....
image-B17 (resized).jpgimage-B17 (resized).jpg

#712 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I am thinking it looks more like a planarian, but that aside - sounds like there must be a joke re the wires not reaching?

#713 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I wonder why they did not put all the solder connections along the top edge of the penis?....

I thought this was a typo, until I saw the mushroom shape. Thanks for that Vid

#714 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

...like there must be a joke re the wires not reaching?

Ah a length joke? But no, I thought he meant at the balls not the tip.

#715 2 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I had this problem right after I did my swap. Ended up being the gap in the sink hole switch.
When the ball would drop into the sink hole, it would close the switch just briefly enough to trigger the callout. But the switch was gapped *just* enough that it was open, even with the ball sitting in the sink hole.
Once I gapped the switch so it *remained* closed with the ball sitting in the hole it worked perfectly.

ZOMG!!! That was it, thank you thank you!!!

Just like you said, that switch’s gap was so tight that it registered but went back to being gapped.

Again, thank you so much!!

Mermaids captured!

#716 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I thought this was a typo, until I saw the mushroom shape. Thanks for that Vid

Mushrooms have become legalized in 5 states.....
AR-310039948 (resized).jpgAR-310039948 (resized).jpg

#717 2 years ago

Is this the right switch for the two saucers? My top one isn't registering the ball when goes in the saucer.

Thanks!

https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-secondary-end-of-stroke-switch-normally-open.html

#718 2 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Is this the right switch for the two saucers? My top one isn't registering the ball when goes in the saucer.
Thanks!
https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-secondary-end-of-stroke-switch-normally-open.html

That looks right, but you’ll need fish paper or some other border to prevent contact with the metal saucer.

#719 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

That looks right, but you’ll need fish paper or some other border to prevent contact with the metal saucer.

Thanks. It's in such an easy spot to work on too.

#720 2 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Thanks. It's in such an easy spot to work on too.

No doubt! You could use the fish paper from the old switch or fashion your own. Good luck with the soldering, I hope you have a third arm!

#721 2 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Isn’t it the same as other ballys of the era with two hinges on the front then two bolts that go through the bottom of the head and thread into the neck? In any case, I don’t have a clasp. Marco has the over-center style clasp used on Williams games, maybe that would work?

Shit. I meant the hinge brackets. Have any spares?

#724 2 years ago

IU have a Beatiful Bally Fathom. Just ordered the Haggis Mermaid edition to replace it. Thought about it for a couple days but can't resist new and shiny.

#725 2 years ago

I don’t know, man. Will the shiny dimple-proof hardcoat play the same as our Bally tuff-coat playfields? New rules would be cool, but I love my old warhorse of a game.

#726 2 years ago

Not planning on selling it yet, but there's only one way to find out.

#727 2 years ago

Machine - For Sale
Fathom Archived
Partially shopped/refurbished - “Beautiful Fathom for sale. Works 100%, has Alltek driver, mpu and aux light boards and Rottendog rectifier board. Original playfield, original backglass with no flaking. Lighted fl...”
2021-05-05
Massillon, OH
6,000 (Firm)
Archived after: 23 days
Viewed: 1724 times

1 week later
#728 2 years ago

I’m in.
Only took 15 years

1 week later
#729 2 years ago

We have C-951 and C-952 short and long ringed posts available.

These are from WMS drawings, and have wider hole for #8 posts.

Have additional 'in-between' colors amber and light blue which more matches what was used on early ballys.

Have Transparent: Red, Amber, Orange, Clear, Light Blue, Dark Blue

Now Available

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PP

C-9512-ALL (resized).jpgC-9512-ALL (resized).jpg
1 week later
#730 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:We have C-951 and C-952 short and long ringed posts available.
These are from WMS drawings, and have wider hole for #8 posts.
Have additional 'in-between' colors amber and light blue which more matches what was used on early ballys.
Have Transparent: Red, Amber, Orange, Clear, Light Blue, Dark Blue
Now Available
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PP[quoted image]

Rick are these hollow or solid? Can you provide a picture of the post from the bottom? Thanks!

#731 2 years ago

I had a mate do my playfield swap for me
everything was rebuilt with new parts and some i had to make
and swinks chimed in with some parts https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinksc-972-3parts
the pic does not give it justice on how good it looks
thanks Edy Stevens
i just need to do the spinner the decal i have is totally wrong

Resized_Fathom playfied finshed (resized).jpegResized_Fathom playfied finshed (resized).jpeg
#732 2 years ago

Edy's the man. Beautiful.

#733 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinoffski:

I had a mate do my playfield swap for me
everything was rebuilt with new parts and some i had to make
and swinks chimed in with some parts https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinksc-972-3parts
the pic does not give it justice on how good it looks
thanks Edy Stevens
i just need to do the spinner the decal i have is totally wrong [quoted image]

yeah, was really impressed when I saw this in Edy's workshop, enjoy

1 month later
#734 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

How many fathoms have the black trim around the front of the backbox? I assumed mine was just an operator hack, but surprised to see Pinoffski ’s has exactly the same? Was it possibly another “factory” variation like the yellow. And on mine the backbox stand is also matching black. [quoted image][quoted image]

Just must of been the thing to do back in the day .
Definitely original colour under the black.
The hardest decision to do is to sand of the original artwork..

16264317393345431864950385050955 (resized).jpg16264317393345431864950385050955 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#735 2 years ago

Just joined the club today, much happiness.

PXL_20210731_043559876 (resized).jpgPXL_20210731_043559876 (resized).jpgPXL_20210731_043607562 (resized).jpgPXL_20210731_043607562 (resized).jpgPXL_20210731_043645775 (resized).jpgPXL_20210731_043645775 (resized).jpg
#736 2 years ago

Why s the backglass all blue?

#737 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Why s the backglass all blue?

good question. It has been given an led kit, the backglass appears to be all a cool white, but maybe that's giving it that overtone. I appears to be an original glass. I don't have any other bulbs to swap in of that style, but will probably add some on my next order.

#738 2 years ago

I have to do the led replacement still yet, but more white shows through with incandescent, that's for sure.

DSCF9471[1] (resized).jpgDSCF9471[1] (resized).jpg

#739 2 years ago

I'm a believer of incandescent butbs in older pins, but I suppose some machines pop better with LED's. Fathom would be one of them, I think. Any recommendations for where you have installed LED's in Fathom, and what color/shades they are, and pics to go along with your results? Thanks.

#740 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Just joined the club today, much happiness.

Congrats, you're miles ahead of those waiting on the remake.

#741 2 years ago

I'm waiting on the remake and playing the original in the meantime.

#742 2 years ago

I found a bag of incandescent bulbs in all the stuff the seller gave me and swapped the backglass out. gone is the blue everything, not nearly as bright, but much better colors. I will be putting in comet leds when I next order some, the question is sunlight or warm white, definitely not the cool white this kit came with.

PXL_20210731_214122296 (resized).jpgPXL_20210731_214122296 (resized).jpg
#743 2 years ago

Warm white looks ok, but I stilling think the incandescents look better

#744 2 years ago

Before and after, comet frosted warm whites.

DSCF9471[1] (resized).jpgDSCF9471[1] (resized).jpg

DSCF9473[1] (resized).jpgDSCF9473[1] (resized).jpg

#745 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Before and after, comet frosted warm whites.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

colors look good to me, but looks a little bright, are those 1SMD or 2SMD? pictures don't always work great for lights, does it look brighter in person, what are your impressions?

#746 2 years ago
Quoted from PAIDGE:

Like this?
[quoted image]

So are these actually available to purchase anywhere? My front supports are missing the peg to support the playfield.

Alternatively has anyone swapped in a slide mechanism to allow easier ability to work on the bottom side? I'm thinking something like https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-slide-pivot-support-bracket-right.html and the associated parts seen at the bottom of that page. Purists would be outraged, but I think it would make life much easier after having to adjust the switches on the blue inline bank (none of either inline bank drops switches would register, making multi-ball impossible, crazy).

#747 2 years ago

So, the worst piece of my Fathom. The story from the guy I bought it from is the owner before him lost the keys and had to drill out the lock, well he didn't drill the lock, he hacked the cabinet and attempted to patch up the hole. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do yet as I don't have any of the inner lock mechanism and don't really need it at home, so may just clean it all up, smooth it out and paint it to match.

PXL_20210801_175243286 (resized).jpgPXL_20210801_175243286 (resized).jpgPXL_20210801_175418816 (resized).jpgPXL_20210801_175418816 (resized).jpg
#748 2 years ago

God, that looks like he did it with an axe.

Quoted from BorgDog:

colors look good to me, but looks a little bright, are those 1SMD or 2SMD? pictures don't always work great for lights, does it look brighter in person, what are your impressions?

2smd. It looks much brighter in person than it did, but not as much as the pixs show.

It's also bluer, but not nearly like the original pic that started me off of the other one. The flesh tones are still flesh coloured, but the tails are quite blue.

#749 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

So, the worst piece of my Fathom. The story from the guy I bought it from is the owner before him lost the keys and had to drill out the lock, well he didn't drill the lock, he hacked the cabinet and attempted to patch up the hole. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do yet as I don't have any of the inner lock mechanism and don't really need it at home, so may just clean it all up, smooth it out and paint it to match.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That is a shame. The OEM paint looks good to. Personally I would repair it even if you don’t have the parts.

2 weeks later
#750 2 years ago

Are there any other pinsiders in here building a Fathom from scratch? I’m trying to come up with a solution to mounting the playfield into the cabinet since the original style playfield pivot brackets seem to be unobtanium. I was thinking a sliding mount like B/W wpc era might be cool. Has anyone else crossed this bridge yet? If so, I’d be interested in hearing from you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
There are 1,076 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-owners-club/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.