Pinside_forum_8029089_3774311 (resized).jpg
20240211_154907_1.gif
Pinside_forum_8020812_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8017530_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_4164 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4163 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20230907_160233590_BURST001 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,076 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 22.
#551 3 years ago

More goodies I am selling:

Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “Two custom plastics to replace the most commonly broken ones at the flippers. The originals are only .100" thick. These custom replacements are .170" thick.... 70% thicker! Also ha...”
2020-07-08
San Jose, CA
60 (Firm)
Archived after: 46 days
Viewed: 91 times

IMG_5379 (resized).jpegIMG_5379 (resized).jpeg
#552 3 years ago

i am in the club

IMG_20200704_192922[2] (resized).jpgIMG_20200704_192922[2] (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#553 3 years ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

Just joined the club yesterday. A definite players game, but I am OK with that for now. The machine is almost 100% playable. The issue I am having is with the 3x green drop target. The solenoid to reset the bank in the up position is pushing the 3x target too high and the corner of the pivot arm is coming out of the slot. I tried lifting the 4x and 5x targets and they seem to have a stop the prevents them from being pushed too high. I do not see a physical stop though.
All 3 drop targets seem to be connected the same way to the arm and the 3x doesn’t seem any more “sloppy” than the others.
Here are 2 pictures. The first showing the target higher then the other 2 and the second picture showing the corner of the drop target arm out of the slot in the bank.
Is this common? Is there something I can do to prevent it?[quoted image][quoted image]

Not sure if you ever got an answer to your problem. I had targets that kept going too high. Problem was broken nut and spring brackets as shown on the attached picture. I made new ones and solved the problem.

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 10.15.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-29 at 10.15.27 PM (resized).png
#554 3 years ago

Those are hard to source. Good business if you have the ability to produce.

#555 3 years ago

JethroP Nhpolarbear

Sorry, I thought I had replied a long time ago.

I found a site that had some info on recreating these. Went to Home Depot and grabbed some angle aluminum. A saws all with a metal blade, a grinder with a thin disk, and a small tap-and-die allowed me to create a few. I admit they are butt ugly, but it works. My Farhom is working 100% now!

B92072D5-1492-4469-B77E-E44F7C7463DC (resized).jpegB92072D5-1492-4469-B77E-E44F7C7463DC (resized).jpeg
#556 3 years ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

A saws all with a metal blade, a grinder with a thin disk, and a small tap-and-die allowed me to create a few.

Great! So you also figured out that was the bad part causing the problem. I found a source in Europe producing replacement parts for $20 each. Ouch. They looked nice, but I didn't want to spend $60 plus shipping for 3 little parts you don't see. Glad you got your game working again too.

#558 3 years ago

Found these pics I thought worth sharing from 2014 buying Fathom off a dealer. He let me pick the best bits from the two games to put into the one I bought. Should've grabbed them both looking back.

IMG_0196 (resized).JPGIMG_0196 (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (resized).JPGIMG_0198 (resized).JPGIMG_0198 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#559 3 years ago

What are you guys doing about replacing the little fish plastics in the ball return lane? They have stainless steel posts underneath that are “riveted” to the plastic (ie. The neck is flanged). Are you reusing the original posts or getting new ones?

F947EC13-39DA-426C-8DEE-66CD16016630 (resized).jpegF947EC13-39DA-426C-8DEE-66CD16016630 (resized).jpeg
#560 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Are you reusing the original posts or getting new ones?

You have to re-use the old ones - give them a polish if they need it.
Unless you found a source, nobodys selling brand new metal bell posts.

#561 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You have to re-use the old ones - give them a polish if they need it.
Unless you found a source, nobodys selling brand new metal bell posts.

Do you try and “rivet” them back in the new plastic or just leave them sitting in top?

#562 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Do you try and “rivet” them back in the new plastic or just leave them sitting in top?

To remove the bell post, stick a hot soldering iron tip into the "rivet" area and hold it there for 10 seconds. The post will then just slide right out as the plastic softens.

Then find a drill bit that fits in the bell post rivet hole, use an auto lug crimper or just a pair of pliers to squeeze the rivet flange against the drill bit to remove the flange so you can slide the bell post into the new plastic.

#563 3 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of Shay's new Fathom reproduction backglass?

#564 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Does anyone have pictures of Shay's new Farhom reproduction backglass?

I have an unused repro that I purchased a few years back.Never installed it . No lift channel or trim.Better off with someone who can use it.

#565 3 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

I have an unused repro that I purchased a few years back.Never installed it . No lift channel or trim.Better off with someone who can use it.

Who reproduced the backglass you have?

#566 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Who reproduced the backglass you have?

I’m unsure about that.
Bought from Bay Area Amusements in 2016.Which is now merged with PPS I see.

#567 3 years ago

Ah ok, can you please post a few photos?

#568 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

What are you guys doing about replacing the little fish plastics in the ball return lane? They have stainless steel posts underneath that are “riveted” to the plastic (ie. The neck is flanged). Are you reusing the original posts or getting new ones?
[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-owners-club/page/12#post-5735767
I made new plastics and used aluminum spacers (which you don't see).

#569 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

If you have a "dapping punch" available - something around 8mm diameter - set the two posts (with plastic sitting on the posts) on a hard surface, then gently whack the top of the post with the punch & hammer to re-expand / flare the top of the post onto the surface of the plastic. Works great, and prevents the plastic from wobbling as the ball tracks down it to the flippers.

There's a serviceable set of punches on Amazon for not a lot of money; if you work on classic Bally games you'll find these handy when replacing plastics on the smaller size bell posts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00819E0WG

#570 3 years ago

My Fathom has a mostly rubber grommets holding down the plastics. Is this stock and where do you get them?

#571 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

My Fathom has a mostly rubber grommets holding down the plastics. Is this stock and where do you get them?

Pinball resource

#572 3 years ago

Yes, Pinball Resource. Item: Post cap (RIN-PC)
http://www.pbresource.com/Rubberprc.html

2 weeks later
#573 3 years ago

Does anyone in here have or know where to find the metal playfield hinge/ support that bolts to the side of the cabinet and allows the playfield to swing up? I could use a whole set and can’t seem to find them anywhere.

#574 3 years ago
#575 3 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Does anyone in here have or know where to find the metal playfield hinge/ support that bolts to the side of the cabinet and allows the playfield to swing up? I could use a whole set and can’t seem to find them anywhere.

You need to find a parted-out old school Bally game to get those parts.

#576 3 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

I have a friend who reproduce it... i just contact him.

#577 3 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Like this?

IMG_2612 (resized).jpgIMG_2612 (resized).jpg
#578 3 years ago
Quoted from PAIDGE:

Like this?
[quoted image]

I’d be interested in a couple sets too.

#579 3 years ago
Quoted from PAIDGE:

Like this?
[quoted image]

Um, yes, exactly like that! Where can I find me a set?!

#580 3 years ago
Quoted from PAIDGE:

Like this?
[quoted image]

Me too!! About to start a full Fathom resto and need a set myself!

2 weeks later
#581 3 years ago

I'm making use of an old Fathom PF donated from a fellow pinsider... awesomely fun project!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFe_0fgncgW/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Also have a matching amp in progress to go with it.

30CD1D93-6929-4A40-A0AA-46F0D3FFFEE7 (resized).jpeg30CD1D93-6929-4A40-A0AA-46F0D3FFFEE7 (resized).jpeg
#582 3 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I'm making use of an old Fathom PF donated from a fellow pinsider... awesomely fun project!

That is way too cool!!!!!

#583 3 years ago

I'm having a weird issue with my Fathom that I just rebuilt. Here's the overview -

All new Alltek boards. Everything tests properly including all the switches and solenoids.

Here's what happens. If I lock a ball in the green lagoon, the green inline drops reset to the up position and another ball is served into the shooter lane. This is the expected behavior.

Now if I lock a ball into the top blue lagoon, the game acknowledges it by playing "Diver Captured", but the blue inline drops never reset and another ball is never served. The game just sits there. I've also verified that switch works by dropping a ball into the saucer during the diagnostics.

I haven't put the original CPU back in to see if that's the problem as the game has been apart for *many* years and I'm not exactly sure that board functions anyway.

Any ideas?

#584 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

The game just sits there. I've also verified that switch works by dropping a ball into the saucer during the diagnostics.

I had a similar issue a while back where after a ball was captured the game froze and no ball was served. Traced it to a bad ball switch in the outhole.

#585 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I had a similar issue a while back where after a ball was captured the game froze and no ball was served. Traced it to a bad ball switch in the outhole.

I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, can someone post a picture of the two switches to the left of the outhole switch? I'm particularly interested in how the wireforms on those switches are bent/positioned.

#586 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

That's what she said...

#587 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

This. I read somewhere that trough switch errors are known to create havoc on Bally early multiball games. Had similar issues on mine and was a bad trough switch.

#588 3 years ago

I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip.

As I recall, my bad switch was the one that would "read" the second ball in the outhole. Determined it was bad checking its continuity. I replaced it with an unused, identical switch from the coin mech. I did swap out the wire form as the coin mech was a different shape than the one in the outhole. I later opened the defective switch and cleaned the contacts with a piece of paper, and it is now repaired.

Not sure the wire forms on my switches are factory spec. You just need to bend them (if necessary) to "read" the ball when it comes to rest in the outhole. You can hear the switch click with it opens and closes.

Speaking of wire forms, they are so easy to contact with your hand when lifting the playfield, resulting in bent and/binding switches. Careful when lifting the playfield.

Hope you report back your findings.

#589 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Hope you report back your findings.

It may be a while before I get back to it but will definitely report my progress once I do.

#590 3 years ago

So, the perennial pinball dilemma - clear coated re-stenciled cab or keep the original art which is in decent condition. Some planking but colours good. No major damage. No touch ups. Only problem is the back box surround at the front has been painted with a darker navy, which I could repaint.

I’ve got a brand new CPr to go in and will polish/restore all pf parts. Which is making me lean to the full cabinet restore also.

But I still kind of like the patina of an old original cab.

90E9681E-1191-4AFD-A3A8-E736A4E7C3BE (resized).jpeg90E9681E-1191-4AFD-A3A8-E736A4E7C3BE (resized).jpeg
#591 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

clear coated re-stenciled cab or keep the original art

Are you kidding??? That cabinet looks great! The backbox surround repaint, ok, but I wouldn't touch the rest of it.

#592 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Are you kidding??? That cabinet looks great! The backbox surround repaint, ok, but I wouldn't touch the rest of it.

Yeh, thats why I posted. I think i would feel wrong sanding off all that nice original art.

Do you guys think its possible to match the old colour on the backbox surround without it looking stupid? Any tips on this?

#593 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Do you guys think its possible to match the old colour

Sure...most paint supply stores have color samples (we call them paint chips) you can bring home to compare/match what you want, then have the store mix up a pint of the matched color.

#594 3 years ago

No way I would be repainting that cabinet - that looks pretty good. Yeah, as said just the surround painted will make it look so much better.

You could try this formula for that particular colour. I think it's pretty good match for the surround, I think it was a computer match from a sample, can't remember as it was years ago - certainly better than the current colour.

Think it might be with a blue base colour.

IMG_1514 (resized).JPGIMG_1514 (resized).JPGIMG_1516 (resized).JPGIMG_1516 (resized).JPG

#595 3 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

No way I would be repainting that cabinet - that looks pretty good. Yeah, as said just the surround painted will make it look so much better.
You could try this formula for that particular colour. I think it's pretty good match for the surround, I think it was a computer match from a sample, can't remember as it was years ago - certainly better than the current colour.
Think it might be with a blue base colour.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I know that it sais Satin on the tin, but would it be better to use a matt paint to match the old existing paint? And oil based? Sprayed is better?

#596 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I know that it sais Satin on the tin, but would it be better to use a matt paint to match the old existing paint? And oil based? Sprayed is better?

I did this about 20 years ago! satin matched better as the cab had a satin finish more than matt in my case. I brushed the acrylic Duraguard on, but not as good as spraying would be of course - all I could do at the time. Can't advise on finish whether oil or acrylic is better.

#597 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So, the perennial pinball dilemma - clear coated re-stenciled cab or keep the original art which is in decent condition. Some planking but colours good. No major damage. No touch ups. Only problem is the back box surround at the front has been painted with a darker navy, which I could repaint.
I’ve got a brand new CPr to go in and will polish/restore all pf parts. Which is making me lean to the full cabinet restore also.
But I still kind of like the patina of an old original cab.
[quoted image]

What else is in the collection? As a stand-alone pin or one surrounded by others in similar shape I’d probably leave it alone, looks solid to me. If it’s not a keeper I’d leave it 100% alone as the labour and cost to redo it won’t be recouped... play the heck out of it and leave it be

#598 3 years ago

I'm having a weird issue with my Fathom that I just rebuilt. Here's the overview -
All new Alltek boards. Everything tests properly including all the switches and solenoids.
Here's what happens. If I lock a ball in the green lagoon, the green inline drops reset to the up position and another ball is served into the shooter lane. This is the expected behavior.
Now if I lock a ball into the top blue lagoon, the game acknowledges it by playing "Diver Captured", but the blue inline drops never reset and another ball is never served. The game just sits there. I've also verified that switch works by dropping a ball into the saucer during the diagnostics.
I haven't put the original CPU back in to see if that's the problem as the game has been apart for *many* years and I'm not exactly sure that board functions anyway.
Any ideas?

SOLVED! Here's what I did.

First I tested all the trough switches. I was pretty sure they were good but wanted to verify. No problems.

Started a game and shot a ball into the top sink hole. "Diver Captured" played but the inlines never reset. Arg! I reset the game and tried the green lagoon - ball in the sink hole, sound played, inlines reset as they should. It was then that I noticed the green arrow to the lagoon was off. Figured that was probably normal as I'm not real familiar with the game. Shoot the first two inlines, green arrow flashes, shoot the third inline and the ball is released. Normal.

I went back to the blue lagoon. Shoot the ball into the sink hole, sound is played, inlines don't reset. And HERE is where I figured it all out. I noticed that the blue arrow was still ON. So I reset the game, started a game, but this time I held down the blue sink hole switch with my finger. Sound triggered, inlines reset and another balll was served. Yes!

Apparently the blue sink hole switch was gapped just enough that the switch would close very briefly when the ball dropped onto it but open immediately after. So I gapped the switch properly and now the game is 100%!

1 week later
#599 3 years ago

Anyone got a template of the Bally backbox back with the vent holes? Want to replace mine and just thought I’d check if anyone has a cad or something I can give direct to the cabinet maker.

1 week later
#600 3 years ago

Hey folks, just picked up a fathom and have a few "chase lights" that aren't lighting (back by/including the star rollovers). Looking at the wiring on this it appears these lights are running ground --> positive every other socket on the strand that's not working.. is this normal...?

EDIT: have done a lot of reading - seems like this issue is pretty common and well documented. I'll start down the road of troubleshooting as recommended by 59083408934 sources.

EDIT: flakey sockets, tested w an alligator clip. Think first, post second.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
£ 195.00
$ 90.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,076 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-owners-club/page/12?hl=canadianpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.