Pinside_forum_8020812_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8017530_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_4164 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4163 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20230907_160233590_BURST001 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #63 Source for aftermarket outhole kicker arm. Posted by swinks (9 years ago)

Post #197 Source for a New Aftermarket Fathom Playfield Apron. Posted by brenna98 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 1,076 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 22.
#1 10 years ago

I suppose there is every other pinball club on here why not a Fathom club.
Show what you got and share your stories.
Well suppose I might as well expand these to owners threads to restoration and technical threads as well for every

#2 10 years ago

Heres some pics of mine.
Its not restored yet but shopped, cleaned and waxed for the moment.061.JPG061.JPG062.JPG062.JPG063.JPG063.JPG053.JPG053.JPG054.JPG054.JPG055.JPG055.JPG

#3 10 years ago

It's painful how stunning this game is. My #1 wishlist pin.

Sorry to crash the clubhouse. Carry on.

#4 10 years ago

Same here, somebody please sell me and Shame this game so we can join the club.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

somebody please sell me and Shame this game

ok you're on CL for $50 and the games mother wears army boots

#6 10 years ago

I'm afraid more people want in this club, than exist in the club. Dear me... (raises hand)
-mof

#7 10 years ago

I think this would be a great game for someone to do a reproduction of. Almost all the parts have already been reproduced at some time or another. You would just have to get the manufacturers to do another run for the project, get the few remaining parts made and put them together. Maybe one for Retro Pinball?

#8 10 years ago

my fathom looks like its been polished with an angle grinder and its still awesome. One day hopefully I'll find a PF

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'm afraid more people want in this club, than exist in the club. Dear me... (raises hand)
-mof

I'd luv to be in the club. There's just not enough of them to go around.Damn shame!

Games like Midway's 'Galaga' were doing huge numbers in the arcades the year Fathom was released.

#10 10 years ago

Ive bought 3 of these over the last 3-5 years, the first one i got at a good price got it working and was offered over $1000 more than i paid for it so i sold it.
i got this one about a year ago finaly again, They dont come up alot or for the right price but they arent unabtainable This one is never leaving my collection took me 3.5 years to get it esp the price i got it for.
then a month after this one i got another for a restore or a customer.
They are out there but you need to be willing to get it fast and be willing to travel a bit. I did regret selling the first one but in the end this one i have now is nicer than the first one.

#11 10 years ago

I have a restored one. Its a beautiful game a definite keeper. I will post some pics when I get a moment. Keep looking and you will come up with one. Im still looking for a seawitch to sit next to it.

mike

#12 10 years ago

I'm a Fathom wannabe. Someone sell me theirs.

#13 10 years ago

Here's an extreme Fathom restoration I picked up about a year ago. Like many restorations, it wasn't 100% complete, so I finished the job. Plays lightening fast

Mail Attachment-243.jpegMail Attachment-243.jpeg
Mail Attachment.jpegMail Attachment.jpeg
Mail Attachment-494.jpegMail Attachment-494.jpeg

#14 10 years ago

Fathom was the game that really fueled my love for pinball. My Dad surprised the family and had it delivered to the house in 1983. He ended up selling it to a co-worker in 1988 (he still has the game in his basement to this day) and I made it my quest to have another someday. After searching for 12 years once I had the means to purchase one, I finally found one 2 years ago. It's a beautiful all original example. It could use a restenciling of the cabinet to make it perfect but for now it is the only machine in my collection that will never leave.

#15 10 years ago

I really miss my Fathom. I sold it a couple of years ago. Just a beautiful game and a great player.

Every pinball collector needs to own one at some time.

Mine just didn't get played much after awhile so I sold it.

The one above is gorgeous.

#16 10 years ago

Snaroff,
Very nice Fathom, mine has a pretty nice original cabinet but i plan to repaint it i want to add a few colors some highlighting airbrushing and pearls to make mine realy pop.
Im currently working on a centaur for a customer that will be the first cabinet restoration with automotive pearls and airbrushing, @$100 a quart its hurting the pocketbook a bit lol. and fathom will need 7 colors.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Snaroff,
Very nice Fathom, mine has a pretty nice original cabinet but i plan to repaint it i want to add a few colors some highlighting airbrushing and pearls to make mine realy pop.
Im currently working on a centaur for a customer that will be the first cabinet restoration with automotive pearls and airbrushing, @$100 a quart its hurting the pocketbook a bit lol. and fathom will need 7 colors.

Glad you like it! My Fathom is more "blinged out" than my Centaur restoration, but my Centaur restoration is nicer overall (has one of the new Big Time cabinet's).

The Paragon in the middle of my Fathom/Centaur I believe to be HUO. It was in climate controlled storage for a very long time and the owner had a "free play" button installed. That, coupled with 0 wear on the PF (and NO mylar around the slings), make me think it's HUO. No fade, cabinet is spotless inside (and it wasn't restored...just vacuumed

I like restorations, but there's nothing like a natural beauty!

snaroff

#18 10 years ago

Yeah i got lucky on this Fathom i have now unsure of the past but bet it wasnt played since the 80s it was filthy as hell but once i cleaned it up it is in actualy pretty nice condition. it had alot of parts stripped off such as popbumpers, slingshots, flipper mechs etc but still a very nice original example. needs a backglass yet. but cabinet is very nice mine just needed vacuuming and cleaning as well.
The Centaur 2 I own well has a pretty nice original PF yellowed of coarse cabinet is pretty decent but when i restore it I will convert it to a Centaur 1 .
The Centaur 1 im restoring well the whole machine is pretty trashed including the cabinet lol but it has a nice backglass at least. lol.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I like restorations, but there's nothing like a natural beauty!

100% true!

I own a super duper restorated Centaur, a very nice original Fathom and a Viking comparable to your Paragon...
I am thinking about selling my Centaur, but the two others... not at this time!

Centaur was formerly my favorite, but after a long restoration process and quite some trouble, he "lost kind of his soul"... can't really say why!

But in the meantime Fathom became my absolute favorite pinball machine! Why... because he has the most clever gameplay of all EEs (my opinion). There are super nice shots. A lot of the EEs have just one or two "rewarding" shots, Fathom has some of them AND is the only (not 100% sure) with a "rewarding" combo... left flipper, right cave drop target, then right upper flipper, lagoon drop target

Also the timed extra ball feature - SUPER!

#20 10 years ago

I love most all the post Xenon Ballys until about 1982. Fathom is prolly arguably the most beautiful of them.
but they machines between these years had completely different gameplays thinking outside of the box, cool themes and prolly the nicest art of all time. they are realy nice if you have the whole set im working on obtaining most of them in this period.
I think Flash Gordon will be the last one i need yet since i made a deal to sell mine when its restored.

These are prolly fighting words but williams seemed to make black knight and a bunch of knock offs after in this era either way they look like cheap kid machines next to these Ballys, and well Gotteliebs they just cant seem to compare in my opinion like it or not thats how i feel about it lol.

#21 10 years ago

Found my Fathom last November. There was an estate auction listed on CL and it mentioned 2 pinball machines. Do further investigation on the auction company's website to discover the machines were a Speakeasy and a Fathom. I have to go out of town that weekend and contact a good friend of mine to see if he would go to the auction and check it out. He looked it over and called me back to discuss thoughts on bids. Ended up pulling this out of an old lady's basement for only $800 and a lifetime of gratitude and favors to my friend and his fiancee (who went with him).

Here are some pics (1 before pic and the rest after)

Fathom3.jpgFathom3.jpg Fathom4.jpgFathom4.jpg Fathom1.jpgFathom1.jpg Fathom2.jpgFathom2.jpg Fathom5.jpgFathom5.jpg
#22 10 years ago

I normally don't like toppers at all but that one is sweet singleb.

#23 10 years ago

2 years ago I had a chance at a Fathom for under 1000 bucks, but passed because I thought the game was lame... What an idiot. Now I've had some signficant time on friend's games, and I really really want one. One day...

#24 10 years ago

Great game, I restored mine in 2009. It came from a rich family's vacation home on the tip of Maine, where it saw mild use, and I had it shipped to Los Angeles - doesn't get much farther than that!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

I normally don't like toppers at all but that one is sweet singleb.

Yeah, I'm not really a big fan of most after market toppers either, but this one takes the original artwork and makes good use of it. It kind of works into the backglass and makes it look as if what's going on in the backglass is happening under the boat/topper.

#26 10 years ago

I will own one someday.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from singlebanana:

It kind of works into the backglass and makes it look as if what's going on in the backglass is happening under the boat/topper.

Exactly. The topper artwork of the girl looking into the water from the boat can be seen on the upper part of the playfield, it's a very cool topper that came with the CPR plastics set.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Here's an extreme Fathom restoration I picked up about a year ago. Like many restorations, it wasn't 100% complete, so I finished the job. Plays lightening fast

Mail Attachment-243.jpeg 129 KB

So that's where the NOS Paragon Playfield went. Jealous. If your Centaur needs a playfield I'll trade you my CPR one for it.

Naturally if you ever want to sell the Paragon I'll be here.

Brian

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

So that's where the NOS Paragon Playfield went. Jealous. If your Centaur needs a playfield I'll trade you my CPR one for it.
Naturally if you ever want to sell the Paragon I'll be here.
Brian

Hey Brian,

My Centaur already has a CPR PF (http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/snaroff/library/Centaur?sort=2&page=1).

The NOS Paragon PF looks a little cheesy by itself, so a pinball buddy plans to make me a fancy frame for it with lights/ornaments. Should look cool when it's done.

I'm going to be in NY/NJ next week...I have a tight schedule, but one of these days it would be great to get a tour of your collection and play some pinball!

snaroff

#30 10 years ago

Fathom is a great game and anyone near South West CT sell let me know the condition and price.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hey Brian,
My Centaur already has a CPR PF (http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/snaroff/library/Centaur?sort=2&page=1).
The NOS Paragon PF looks a little cheesy by itself, so a pinball buddy plans to make me a fancy frame for it with lights/ornaments. Should look cool when it's done.
I'm going to be in NY/NJ next week...I have a tight schedule, but one of these days it would be great to get a tour of your collection and play some pinball!
snaroff

Nice, if you're around North Jersey just PM me. I'm usually not far from home.

#32 10 years ago

Heres some more pics for promojoe he asked to see the leds in the backbox. i went with the new cointaker warm white frosted leds. they are not a true warm white anymore they are a natural white instead they look nicer with the blue blackglass.
I tried smd super on the bally backglasses but they are too spotty i like the new cointaker frosted better for even lighting.
Also some pics inside the backbox the driver and light board are just being run in for a customers machine atm i still havnt gotten around to building a new boardset for this machine yet003.JPG003.JPG005.JPG005.JPG

#33 10 years ago

Yeah, I did the old warm whites in my bg and they look pretty good. I decided to put incandescents in the "game over," "tilt", "high score," etc. sections, since the LEDs are so bright they fill in the rubber barriers and project boxes on the backglass and don't just make the words stand out. I tried retros, but they did the same thing, just too bright to be contained.

Man I wish there was a bulb over the upper right display to light up the rest of that sea nymph's tail. It's a real dead light area. I'm thinking of adding modding mine and adding one there.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from singlebanana:

Man I wish there was a bulb over the upper right display to light up the rest of that sea nymph's tail. It's a real dead light area. I'm thinking of adding modding mine and adding one there.

Im going to add a few more bulbs to my backbox as well esp along the bottom the green coral, star fish etc on the bottom would look alot nicer with extra illumination. The tail bothers me as well.

#35 10 years ago

Thanks for the pics Hellfire. I've been trying different bulbs and colors and they just were not looking right. This helps a lot!!!

#36 10 years ago

Here's mine, i restored it 4 years ago. I'm very proud of it, bought it many years ago in a very bad condition for 800$ and a Centaur in the same time for the same price.

I try to keep her as original as possible.
Nos backglass
Original playfield
Original plastics
Original display
Original electronics
LED on the backbox to save heat from the glass. I choose carefully them
to have the same light effect as the original incandescent bulbs
I remove all the inserts, sand them to remove cracks. They are transparent as crystal.
Original paint on the cabinet
All metals parts zinc replated
Not original, i repainted inside cabinet, it was very dirty and now look super clean

image-14 (1).jpgimage-14 (1).jpg image-16.jpgimage-16.jpg IMG_6051.JPGIMG_6051.JPG IMG_6052.JPGIMG_6052.JPG IMG_6053.JPGIMG_6053.JPG IMG_6054.JPGIMG_6054.JPG IMG_6055.JPGIMG_6055.JPG IMG_6056.JPGIMG_6056.JPG IMG_6061.JPGIMG_6061.JPG IMG_6060.JPGIMG_6060.JPG
#37 10 years ago

The machine looks great HPR I am going to do the same on my machine I have the insert decals its just a matter of the time to do it. i detest the cracked inserts lol.
Did you get all your mech parts replated?
Where dod you get the replacement power supply plate decal?

#38 10 years ago

Thanks for the comments Hellfire !
Yes all the mechs parts were zinc replated. The decal PS was made by myself on a yellow thick paper sprayed with Triple Thick for the glossy effect and protect it from dirt falling from the playfied

Also changed all the connectors all around, changed pins from boards. Nothing, no problemo for 4 years, it play fast and perfect and i played more than a thousand games !!

The others things i want to restore in the future is the cashbox i recently found and the coils wrap.

#39 10 years ago

Got mine a couple of years ago in a bulk deal with two other games. Never really paid that much attention to the game prior to that but I knew it was the money game of the three. Ended up selling the other two games off and keeping the Fathom, which in the end only cost me $450. It worked but the playfield is worn out. I already had a new CPR playfield for it hanging on my wall that I think I paid $400 shipped for it a few years earlier. Kruzman is doing the clear on it as we speak. Cant wait to get that one put it and make it look nice.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#40 10 years ago

I bought mine from a collector in Wisconsin sight unseen , it took me a year to pick it up and get the fathom back to Oregon ... I had a fathom restore thread going on the machines restore , I picked up an extra playfield for it off e bay and an having it restored ... I had insane headaches trying to get insert decAls to work ...

Warning '''do not use the stickers off e bay , get the ones from Bay Area amusements !!! Also laser printed ones that you made yourself suck your life away as well

Always learning the hard way

image-822.jpgimage-822.jpg image-590.jpgimage-590.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
#41 10 years ago

The the game is not working sounds and driver seem fine, mpu?

#42 10 years ago

Missed a fathom couple year ago because i can't make the deal for 100$ difference between the asking price and what i was willing to pay. Had an other one offer to me in worst shape but little cheaper... still high. I bought it because i want one real bad, and never regret it. Almost cry when to pin show up... The backglass was scratch by the white panel, not secure before the transportation! I was lucky enought to have a friend with a repro backglass and a first generation repro playfield (Halifax). Made a playfield swap and never look back. Still my favorite pins of all time.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-147.jpgimage-147.jpg image-898.jpgimage-898.jpg image-762.jpgimage-762.jpg image-173.jpgimage-173.jpg
#43 10 years ago

P.S i would love to swap it again if i can find a CPR second run playfield!

#44 10 years ago

Terrible Im getting sad seeing everyone machines all sexy and restored and i can even fathom when Ill have a chance to restore mine.

#45 10 years ago

Could I get a picture of all the green ground connections ? For some reason I can not for the life of me find the pictures of those little buggers , I have a few missing... Wtf knuckle head !! , also still working out the bugs in the game , and thought these might help if they were installed ...

image.jpgimage.jpg
#46 10 years ago

Here's a question: Fathom has 2 insert arrows labeled "Trap ball when lit, Release ball when blinking". On my Fathom, the right/green side works as you would expect. Unfortunately, the left/blue side does nothing during gameplay. In test mode, the lights appear to work (i.e. they blink). I thought this may be a board issue, but I'm fairly certain the malfunction happens with both original & repro boards. I also corresponded with another Fathom owner and he says his example does the same thing. Can you guys tell me what yours does? If it works fine, any ideas on what would cause this?...kind of obscure issue.

Thanks for any help!

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Here's mine, i restored it 4 years ago. I'm very proud of it, bought it many years ago in a very bad condition for 800$ and a Centaur in the same time for the same price.
I try to keep her as original as possible.
Nos backglass
Original playfield
Original plastics
Original display
Original electronics
LED on the backbox to save heat from the glass. I choose carefully them
to have the same light effect as the original incandescent bulbs
I remove all the inserts, sand them to remove cracks. They are transparent as crystal.
Original paint on the cabinet
All metals parts zinc replated
Not original, i repainted inside cabinet, it was very dirty and now look super clean

image-14 (1).jpg 243 KB

image-16.jpg 225 KB

IMG_6051.JPG 272 KB

IMG_6052.JPG 347 KB

IMG_6053.JPG 182 KB

IMG_6054.JPG 276 KB

IMG_6055.JPG 237 KB

IMG_6056.JPG 255 KB

IMG_6061.JPG 290 KB

IMG_6060.JPG 323 KB

Nice. Beautiful work.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Dawson:

Could I get a picture of all the green ground connections ? For some reason I can not for the life of me find the pictures of those little buggers , I have a few missing... Wtf knuckle head !! , also still working out the bugs in the game , and thought these might help if they were installed ...

All the green ground jumpers go in the lower cabinet the 4 playfield mounting hinges should each have one to the ground braid some goto the leg bolt brackets if not ground braided and to the 2 will be used to ground the sided rails from the front carriage bolts to the ground braid and also another one or 2 to ground the coin door and lockdown bar, and one more from the ground braid to the metal switch plate.
Basicly leags and anything metal in the lower cabinet gets grounded together to the ground braid. I dont know how much these would affect gameplay as much as potentialy shock a person if not installed and the player becouse a ground bridge. You might want to check the ground brade though and make sure the backbox is grounded to the lower cabinet.

#49 10 years ago

He'll fire thanks , I've got all but one on now still, loads of issues still like you said ..

3 weeks later
#50 10 years ago

Ok hands up ..who wants a 300dpi ( ie really good quality) scan of the fathom manual + schematics? PM if you do

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Green Lane, PA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

There are 1,076 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-owners-club/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.