You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BY-35_After.jpg
20200904_113931 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi
My Fathom was working fine, now it act strange.
Mpu boot up with 1 flicker an 6 flash=normal.
All solderings seems fine and I have replaced sockets for u2 and u6. I have also test s1-s32 switches and the diodes close to it.

Game starts with spinner lit and 2x or 3x pf alternates by flippers and a lot of other weird things.

If I replace the board to an Altec mpu replacement board the game works perfect.

So, before I buy a new altec, I would hope to get this original fixed.

2 questions:
#1 any Idea what might be wrong with my board?
#2 I have new gameroms (u2 and u6) but they are of another chip (2732). That means I have to rejump the board. Should I cut off all the older ones including the ones that seems factorysoldered (eg e31-e32 e7-e8 ) as you hopefully can see at the picture, close to the dots.

Hope for answer
/Stefan

20200904_113931 (resized).jpg20200904_113931 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Did replacing the sockets at U2 and U6 change anything, or was that problem there before replacing them?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Did replacing the sockets at U2 and U6 change anything, or was that problem there before replacing them?

The reason I replaced the sockets was due to the problem, so yes the problem was there before.

#4 3 years ago

So the board boots properly? I would change your jumpers and burn new roms.

Pinwiki.com has the proper jumpers listed when using 2732 EPROMs

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballark:

#1 any Idea what might be wrong with my board?

Any possibility you can post a video showing the strange behavior? We're looking for more clues.

Quoted from Pinballark:

#2 I have new gameroms (u2 and u6) but they are of another chip (2732). That means I have to rejump the board. Should I cut off all the older ones including the ones that seems factorysoldered (eg e31-e32 e7-e8 ) as you hopefully can see at the picture, close to the dots.

Below are the jumper settings needed for two 2732 EPROMs. Any other existing jumper should be cut/removed.

BY-35_After.jpgBY-35_After.jpg

#6 3 years ago

Thanks for the answers
I was on my way to rejump, but before I did, I lifted the original roms and sanded each legs very carefully.
Voila...it now works perfect.

Quoted from Quench:

Below are the jumper settings needed for two 2732 EPROMs. Any other existing jumper should be cut/removed.

Thanks for this excellent info, It might be of use later on
Take care and again...Thanks

#7 3 years ago

replace your eprom sockets with machine pin strips. never have a problem again. Those old sockets SUCK!! Machine pin strips are military grade and are amazing when used correctly.
Cheers and glad your flipping again

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballark:

Game starts with spinner lit and 2x or 3x pf alternates by flippers and a lot of other weird things.

Have you tried replacing the PIA chips?

What are the other weird things?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Green Lane, PA
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

£ 195.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-mpu-re-jump-or-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.