New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 110059)

Fathom ...... led or no led?

By treasurecove

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0591a.jpg
IMG_0592a.jpg
195369.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hey all, I'm restoring a Fathom and the customer wanted to know if leds would make the game too brite.

I know Cointaker has regular and Super Brites...

If anyone has installed leds, ... please post how you liked the end result.

thanks
Allen
TreasureCove

#2 5 years ago

Although I do not have one I have seen one with LEDs in the inserts and it looked excellent. I am one that likes LEDs but also know that some machines LEDs just don't look that great. The Fathom I had seen had OptiFlux LEDs in it and they weren't too bright at all. It actually led me to purchasing the same LEDs and putting them in my RFM.

In short Allen, LEDs for the inserts and #44 for the GI look excellent!

#3 5 years ago

thank you, ... anyone else?

#4 5 years ago

I like LEDs in Fathom. Just use frosted bulbs to keep the brightness down.

#5 5 years ago

Fathom looks good with led its a very cool game

#6 5 years ago

Also, try experimenting with warm white & cool white to see which suits the game best.

I'm guessing here, but I think an original playfield would look better with warm whites and a CPR playfield would look better with cool whites.

195369.jpg

#7 5 years ago

thanks guys, I'll let the customer know!!!

Allen

#8 5 years ago

If they don't like how it turns out, sell it to me.

#9 5 years ago

I have a cleared 2004 Halifax PF in mine, with 44s, and you would SWEAR it's LEDs.
I would use 44s in a Fathom for home use.
-mof

#10 5 years ago

I used the retro coin taker bulbs on the playfield. They look nice.

#11 5 years ago

Do you have an Altek lamp driver board? If not, I think Fathom, like other Bally/Sterns from this era will have flicker issues with LED's in a CPU driven lamp socket. Even with non-ghosting one's. If I'm wrong, please correct.

#12 5 years ago

Yeah I have the alltek boards in most of my bally games. They work great. I believe Comet pinball less was working on less that would work in the classic ballys and sterns.

#13 5 years ago

Leds I meant. Dam phone auto correct.

#14 5 years ago

lamps if you can see the bulb. LED's if its behind an insert or plastic.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Do you have an Altek lamp driver board? If not, I think Fathom, like other Bally/Sterns from this era will have flicker issues with LED's in a CPU driven lamp socket. Even with non-ghosting one's. If I'm wrong, please correct.

I had a bally era playboy and I BELIEVE I had comet leds in there and they did NOT ghost. It was either them or cointaker. And that was without the Alltek board. If you have one of each give it a try, I know one should be good.

And yes, go for the leds...at least under the inserts. Haven't played fathom much, but I remember it not being a heavily lit game...are there any flashers on it? Those I usually keep regular bulbs in.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I believe this is correct. I have the Altek lamp driver board with LED's and they look great.

snaroff

#17 5 years ago

Hmm… I was just wondering about the same subject… imagine that...

#18 5 years ago

Probably thinking about Cointaker Premium low ghost low flicker w/ Alltek lamp board but just for the inserts and bg (especially to decrease heat there.. if original bg is still pretty good)
and stick with either retro cointaker for GI or just plan #44s...

#19 5 years ago

Personally, for this game, I like the 2 Resin LED bulbs, used in the first release of AC/DC.
Brighter than a single, and easier on the eyes than a SMD.
Really nice. But if one wants brighter, and are going with 5050, you may want to try some ICE BLUE
in the GI. Either by itself, or scattered with some regular blue...the color us very nice.

With regard to modified bulbs I am working on, to eliminate the need of an Alltek board.
I am hoping the proto bulbs will arrive next week.

Art

#20 5 years ago

I put LEDs in all the inserts and then frosted cool white LEDs for the GIs. Could not be happier with the way it looks.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from PromoJoe23:

I put LEDs in all the inserts and then frosted cool white LEDs for the GIs. Could not be happier with the way it looks.

While I haven't done the inserts yet, I did do the cool whites (Pinballbulbs) for the GI. Looks great. I also converted all the 555 sockets in the game to 44/47 when I did the playfield swap.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from PromoJoe23:

What kind of LEDs in thr inserts? Did you color match them? Pics?

#23 5 years ago

Recently sold a Fathom with Leds and it looked great.

#24 5 years ago

If anyone has photos of their led'd Fathom it would be great if you could posts them for the rest of us. I will be restoring a Fathom in the near future and was wondering about leds as well.

#25 5 years ago

Allen, if you would post pictures of the Fathom once done?

#26 5 years ago

These are not the best shots, but they were taken just after I put the new playfield in. In the photo of the whole machine, the back glass still has 555 incandescents in it, but it kind of gives you an idea what the cool whites do in the playfield. I really like the cool whites in games with a lot of blue. My son has my game right now and if this thread is still alive when I get it back I'll take more photos.

IMG_0591a.jpg IMG_0592a.jpg
#27 5 years ago

This thread is not helping me with wanting a Fathom.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Play one. The want will come back!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Play one. The want will come back!

No, that's what I mean, it's making me want one more looking at these photos!

#30 5 years ago

I forgot how much better the CPR PF looks just due to changing the greens to blue. I probably shouldn't have traded my CPR PF (+cash) for an Abra Ca Dabra.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Really miss mine. Best early ss IMO.

#32 5 years ago

Found this brief video I took. Shows the play field LEDs (one handed gameplay )

#33 5 years ago

I played one last year before (with incandescents), and afterwards with white PF frosted LEDs, that were color matched (yellows had warm white LEDs). It's not a bright game anyway, but the cool white GIs helped brighten the game up a lot, along with a couple of well placed blue and green LEDs too. I do not believe there was a whole lot of ghosting.

It looked awesome!

#34 5 years ago

Shoot, I meant cool white insert frosted LEDs, that were color matched, reds mostly.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I forgot how much better the CPR PF looks just due to changing the greens to blue. I probably shouldn't have traded my CPR PF (+cash) for an Abra Ca Dabra.

I love my Abra Ca Dabra, so just enjoy it with no regrets!

I'd love to find a Fathom with the CPR playfield, that might be worth shipping. I prefer the blue too.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Dude. There's no denying it. Fathom is an example of early solid state pinball at its finest. Perfect artwork. Perfect layout. Superb lock/release system for two or three ball multiball. And an almost perfect sound package. Just wish there was a little more variety in the sound bites. There was a dude named Scapino who made a VP version of Fathom years ago that had some music from, I think, James Bond's Thunderball at the beginning. Wish that was in there.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Dude. There's no denying it. Fathom is an example of early solid state pinball at its finest.

Unfortunately they're also not easy to come by!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 17.00
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Machine - For Sale
Morrisville, PA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside