(Topic ID: 285720)

Fathom lagoon and cave trap star rollover switches not registering

By solarvalue

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dakine747.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

That’s not their purpose at least according to my game, if I bypass the rollover & lock a ball, the targets reset as normal.
Those two rollovers have a very specific function that is not always known about.
They come into play when you have a two or three multiball occurring & one of the balls lands in either the cave or lagoon saucer. At that point the targets for that saucer do not reset (they do not reset during mulitball) now this rollover target is ready to be actioned - when you roll the ball over the rollover towards the locked ball you get a speech call “help me” in essence the locked ball (the mermaid) is asking for help to be released.
This is my favourite speech call in the game - I always go for the locked ball in multiball to get the rollover & speech call.

DANG, I'm not going crazy after all!!! I too thought there was something wrong with the game. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why the inline drops wouldn't reset after capturing a ball again DURING multiball! And then the ball smacking into the captured ball (also during multiball) just seemed like it shouldn't happen that way. Now I understand the callout "HELP ME" when a ball hits the other trapped ball during multiball. I've also noticed that hitting the three "fish tail" drop targets (of the same color) only once will release that captured ball during the multiball scenario. I SCOURED the internet looking for different game scenarios, rules, and gameplay, or situations where the inline drop targets don't reset when a ball is captured, and came up with nothing......until I read this thread! It all makes TOTAL sense now! WHEW!! These nuances are one of the reasons why this game is so great, IMO!

1 week later
#18 2 years ago

Wow, thanks!! Mind blown (again)! I just now watched a YouTube vid of a sound test on Fathom, and there were a few sounds I’ve never heard on my game! “The trap is SET!”, “Air supply gone!”, and “Mermaid’s revenge!” among them, and I going nuts wondering under what conditions these call outs occur. Some time back I was reading about this home ROM modification, and assumed that these call outs were already in my game’s arsenal, but since I’ve only had my game a couple of months, I was trying to figure out what (other than the ROM modification) I had to do to hear them! Seems weird to me knowing that these sounds are included in the original ROM code, but go unused. Anyway, I’d be MORE than eager to take advantage of this upgrade to the ROM, but after looking at, I wonder if it’s beyond my skill set. I’ve only been involved in this awesome hobby since last fall, and I’ve learned TONS regarding the mechanics of my two games, but board dynamics seems WAAAY beyond my expertise. Ya think I could install the upgrade myself??

Quoted from Joydivision:

Also worth noting is the home ROM version upgrade is a must as this utilizes the speech that is stored in the original ROM code but remains unused. The extra speech phrases added to this ROM fit perfectly just like they should have been there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

£ 195.00
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dakine747.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-lagoon-and-cave-trap-rollover-switches-not-registering?tu=Dakine747 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.