• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello
On my fathom, I have a very intermittent problem.
When I activate the right or left flipper, from time to time ( 1 for 20 or 50 times) one bumber is activated.
I have confirmed that it does not come from the bumper switch. It is not a vibration issue, it looks more like an electrical coupling effect.
Can someone help on that problem ?
Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Is it always the same bumper?

#3 5 years ago

No , I have seen that phenomena on two different bumpers and rarely also on a target (the targets are down and there is a sound like if the target was hit).
I have read on another forum that it is a know issue on bally 80 and it could be related to cables coupling effects.
Indeed, that could be the root cause, but I would like to know if it is possible to fix that without moving and isolating all cables

#4 5 years ago

I'm thinking a switch matrix problem involving the lane change switch on the right flipper button. Would help to know specifcally which bumpers are firing.
Usually matrix sneak paths are caused by stuck coin switches or shorted coin switch wiring.

#5 5 years ago

First, change the switch capacitor on the pop bumper, as they age, they sometimes trigger all by themselves or even tap out a little beat.

If the MPU board is covered in black dust/soot, run it in the dishwasher on "pots and pan scrub" cycle. Some have reported that this fixes it.

If you end up doing a playfield swap on the game, put the whole harness and mechs in the dishwasher and get rid of all the conductive carbon stuck to the plasticizes on the wires.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-playfield-harnesses-vids-guide

#6 5 years ago

Can you explain the expected behavior difference between having fresh new ones and having nothing at all. (clipped)

-mof

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Can you explain the expected behavior difference between having fresh new ones and having nothing at all. (clipped)
-mof

Removing the capacitor can mean that some quick closures don't register, but if the capacitor was the problem then it would stop misfiring from the flipper

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

The cap lets the CPU detect quick ball hits that would otherwise be missed.

So you get more action by having the cap properly installed.

If you have a bunch of people over and the pop starts going "tap - tap - tap - tap" all by itself, you would raise the playfield and snip one leg of the cap - but to restore the gameplay back to normal, you need to replace said cap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

£ 195.00
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-intermittent-bumper-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.