(Topic ID: 148540)

FATHOM... if you can't find one, build one!!!

By Drano

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 203 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by orangegsx
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180327-162356 (resized).png
20180325_225857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3446 (resized).JPG
IMG_3440 (resized).JPG
IMG_3441 (resized).JPG
IMG_3444 (resized).JPG
20161009_180849 (resized).jpg
20161009_200534 (resized).jpg
IMG_3421 (resized).JPG
IMG_3439 (resized).JPG
IMG_3438 (resized).JPG
IMG_3427 (resized).JPG
IMG_3401 (resized).JPG
IMG_3365 (resized).JPG
IMG_3402 (resized).JPG
IMG_3398 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I'm thinking the drop target mechs won't be fun to find... or making the playfield harness. Luckily I have a donor Fathom playfield and it's mostly intact save for a few gates, apron and a flipper and pop mech. Fireball 2 will be well harvested

The DT banks are fairly easy to find--I saw a marketplace ad today and a few listings on ebay. The in-line drop targets--those will be tought to find.

Put up WTB ads in the marketplace for the stuff you can't find. I've had good luck with that so far.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Inline drop target are memory target...pretty sure they are Fathom specific...

It wasn't the only game bally used them on (centaur, eight ball deluxe). Although, granted, I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to see if they are actually identical--they might be.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I completely agree though I'd imagine anyone that produced it would probably list it at 4500 with a street of at least 4K. Seems like a game that could be made at a reasonable profit at 2500 though, particularly given the more basic nature of the game. Besides the drop mechs, there isn't much to these games compared with today's machines.

Plus, just use an altek boardset for the MPU, lamp, aux lamp, and solenoid driver boards, pick one of the producers of LED displays, a Rottendog rectifier board, and there's pretty much no software/hardware game development costs. Then it would just come down to BOM and labor costs.

[edit]: Almost forgot about the sound board:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-squawk-talk-sound-board-gordons-alive

ebay.com link: New Squawk Talk Sound Board by myPinballs In Stock

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That Altek MPU board costs like $50 to make, so I'm sure Stern would just make their own board rather than buy an existing one.
Same with all the other boards, way cheaper to make them, especially at quantity 500 (or 5000 if they are doing a bunch of different titles).

Yeah, you're probably right about that.

I wonder if they would bother with licensing existing designs just for manufacturing or just redesign from scratch. Or, completely ditch the whole idea about compatibility with the original boardset and do something like WNBJM and drop their existing boardset into the game. It's not like recreating the rules and sounds would be too complicated for an early solid state game. The only thing would how the current boardest would handle LED displays, rather than a DMD/LCD.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The SDB, the Rectifier Board and the Transformer could all skip the high voltage circuits, for further $$$$ savings.

For that one, I was mainly thinking about lighting display segments vs displaying dots/graphics. Someone did some work to come up with a custom add-on board for the P3-ROC boardset to drive an alphanumeric display, rather than a graphical display.

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sr0dqafe8h4m8l7kejmrsdmms2&topic=745.0

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-if-you-cant-find-one-build-one?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.