(Topic ID: 148540)

FATHOM... if you can't find one, build one!!!

By Drano

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 203 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by orangegsx
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180327-162356 (resized).png
20180325_225857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3446 (resized).JPG
IMG_3440 (resized).JPG
IMG_3441 (resized).JPG
IMG_3444 (resized).JPG
20161009_180849 (resized).jpg
20161009_200534 (resized).jpg
IMG_3421 (resized).JPG
IMG_3439 (resized).JPG
IMG_3438 (resized).JPG
IMG_3427 (resized).JPG
IMG_3401 (resized).JPG
IMG_3365 (resized).JPG
IMG_3402 (resized).JPG
IMG_3398 (resized).JPG

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 7 years ago

The Apron looks very good, is that blue the same as the cabinet? The reason I ask is I used some Home Depot paint for a side rail and very limited ball contact damaged it. I found I had to protect the paint with something like a hard clear. I am in the process of doing my own apron on an Eight Ball and the ball obviously hits the apron constantly.

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

The Apron looks very good, is that blue the same as the cabinet? The reason I ask is I used some Home Depot paint for a side rail and very limited ball contact damaged it. I found I had to protect the paint with something like a hard clear. I am in the process of doing my own apron on an Eight Ball and the ball obviously hits the apron constantly.

I'm using a lacquer based spray. It should hold up as well as a factory finish I think.
That being said, I have access to a vinyl plotter and I often cut custom clear stickers for hard wearing areas such as where the ball contacts the apron paint. I think modern Sterns do this as well. I
I've even laid it down on shooter lanes and around various playfield holes/scoops with good results. When the vinyl eventually wears, it's easier to peel up than Mylar and can be replaced.
I'm sure the same could be done to a side-rail... especially where the ball kicks out.

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I also stripped the old apron and repainted. Then added a nice new decal. Looks pretty sweet I think.

Where did you buy the new decal from? It looks very good, very close to the original. Pinball Rescue used to have these, but from what I understand now they are not allowed to continue to sell these.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from pinplayer01:

Where did you buy the new decal from? It looks very good, very close to the original. Pinball Rescue used to have these, but from what I understand now they are not allowed to continue to sell these.

We have a full graphics department at work. Made one for me and a couple of buddies, but yeah, these are otherwise contraband. Can't/won't make or sell any more. Personal use only.

There are some you can buy off eBay but they look terrible and the details are all wrong.

#155 7 years ago

That looks awesome!

1 month later
#157 7 years ago

Waiting on CPR now

#158 7 years ago

Well, hopefully just a few months away then. I remember it stating when the pre-order went up/filled, they were to be done in 3-4 months from December....which would have fit in your wheel house looking at your progress. I'll be watching

1 month later
#159 7 years ago

I't better to use painted hardwood. I order such stuff in Demyanovskie Manufactures.

1 month later
#160 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Waiting on CPR now

Now showing "CLEARCOATING NOW" Getting closer

2 weeks later
#161 7 years ago

Not want to spoil your topic but just want to show my Fathom LE built from " scrap "
Lower body - silverball mania
Head - power play
Wiring harness - vector/flash gordon/silverball etc.
cpr playfield - previous run

Almost finished, just some minor adjustments to do ...

IMG_3398 (resized).JPGIMG_3398 (resized).JPG
IMG_3402 (resized).JPGIMG_3402 (resized).JPG
IMG_3365 (resized).JPGIMG_3365 (resized).JPG
IMG_3401 (resized).JPGIMG_3401 (resized).JPG
IMG_3427 (resized).JPGIMG_3427 (resized).JPG
IMG_3438 (resized).JPGIMG_3438 (resized).JPG
IMG_3439 (resized).JPGIMG_3439 (resized).JPG
IMG_3421 (resized).JPGIMG_3421 (resized).JPG

#162 7 years ago

Love the shark under the back box!

#163 7 years ago

Tell me more about the coin door price plates plates and start button

#164 7 years ago

The shark tank is an awesome idea!

#165 7 years ago

As others have said, kudos on the shark... very nice touch

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Tell me more about the coin door price plates plates and start button

The start button is a switch that you can buy on Ebay, I have one on my Fishtales for a shooter button.

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

The start button is a switch that you can buy on Ebay, I have one on my Fishtales for a shooter button.

Thanks all !
Indeed you can find the start button here :
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-22mm-Stainless-Steel-Reset-On-Off-Push-Buttons-Switch-LED-Light-/152029600429?hash=item2365ab9aad

Grab 6 volt from the coindoor bulbs that will work fine even if the blue led button needs 12 volt as indicated .

Coin door plates are included with the cpr repro plastic set, I think sold out at the moment .

#168 7 years ago

Well my project has begun and I'm loving these pinball pinball pimp stencils. shoutout for pinball pimp

20161009_200534 (resized).jpg20161009_200534 (resized).jpg

20161009_180849 (resized).jpg20161009_180849 (resized).jpg

#169 7 years ago

shark mode,
two multiball two blue led's, three multiball will add yellow eye led ...

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

shark mode,
two multiball two blue led's, three multiball will add yellow eye led ...
» YouTube video

Shark mode you have is sweet. I noticed the sounds are a bit distorted. The voice is both faster and higher pitch than it should be.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Shark mode you have is sweet. I noticed the sounds are a bit distorted. The voice is both faster and higher pitch than it should be.

Someone having an idea how to slow the pitch, there is no potentiometer on the soundboard as far as I know ???

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

Someone having an idea how to slow the pitch, there is no potentiometer on the soundboard as far as I know ???

Change the value of R9, or put in a pot.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

» YouTube video

HMMM, what value pot would you suggest?

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

» YouTube video

Will try this later and let it know here in the meantime I placed the NOS backglass and the matching legs ...

IMG_3444 (resized).JPGIMG_3444 (resized).JPG

IMG_3441 (resized).JPGIMG_3441 (resized).JPG

IMG_3440 (resized).JPGIMG_3440 (resized).JPG

IMG_3446 (resized).JPGIMG_3446 (resized).JPG

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

HMMM, what value pot would you suggest?

A 150k ohm pot would give you the right range, though I'd be worried about the adjustment being too touchy. A change of 5k ohm makes a pretty big difference in the rate of the speech.

I like to keep a couple different resistor values on hand for this application (I think I have 120k, 130k, 135k, 140k, and 150k ohm). I clip out the body of resistor R9 and attach mini grabbers to the remaining leads. I then experiment with various resistors until I'm happy with the pitch of the speech and solder in that value.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 7 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

A 150k ohm pot would give you the right range, though I'd be worried about the adjustment being too touchy. A change of 5k ohm makes a pretty big difference in the rate of the speech.
I like to keep a couple different resistor values on hand for this application (I think I have 120k, 130k, 135k, 140k, and 150k ohm). I clip out the body of resistor R9 and attach mini grabbers to the remaining leads. I then experiment with various resistors until I'm happy with the pitch of the speech and solder in that value.

Thank you very much for your co-operation, will try that !

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

Thank you very much for your co-operation, will try that !

No problem! Very nice work on your game!

#178 7 years ago

ok, Instead of the original 129 K ohm resistor I placed a 139 K ohm resistor for R 9.
Infact in real the sound / voice is much better because I was forgotten to lower the lifting table under the pinball

#179 7 years ago

Thierry my game didnt come with a shark mod!!!! I think the dark blue legs you did on my game look better than the powder blue ones! Just an opinion! I think you should start your own post showing your game and give the OP back his thread!!!

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Thierry my game didnt come with a shark mod!!!! I think the dark blue legs you did on my game look better than the powder blue ones! Just an opinion! I think you should start your own post showing your game and give the OP back his thread!!!

Sorry for that Vince, hadn't that shark idea at that moment

The powder blue legs is maybe something we can discuss, a litte poll here ???

And indeed I will no longer spoil OP's thread here was a bit rude of me, sorry to Drano ...

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

Sorry for that Vince, hadn't that shark idea at that moment

I feel so cheated

Quoted from thierryv:

The powder blue legs is maybe something we can discuss, a litte poll here ???

Quoted from thierryv:

And indeed I will no longer spoil OP's thread here was a bit rude of me, sorry to Drano ...

Yeah start a new poll and let us know when you do. I would like to see this to fruition. You can also start a poll on your post! ! Nice work!!

#182 7 years ago

If anyone has a lead on a used/worn/good/ or CPR Fathom play field for sale, please let me know.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Been plugging away slowly.
Got my displays installed and aligned properly to the backglass windows and continued to run some of the wiring.
I'm going very slowly so I don't make any mistakes with the alterations necessary from Fireball II to Fathom wiring.

I also stripped the old apron and repainted. Then added a nice new decal. Looks pretty sweet I think.

Drano,

I just want to let you know , I think you need to cut off the inside back panel of your firepower cabinet ( under de horizontal chrome bar with the 4 screws ).
It,s comes too low ( panel too high ) this means you will not be able to pivot the playfield, I have made the same mistake with my silverball cabinet

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

Drano,
I just want to let you know , I think you need to cut off the inside back panel of your firepower cabinet ( under de horizontal chrome bar with the 4 screws ).
It,s comes too low ( panel too high ) this means you will not be able to pivot the playfield, I have made the same mistake with my silverball cabinet

Thanks for the tip. I'll measure my friend's real Fathom and see what the difference is. The project is still on hold while I await the CPR playfield. I'm restoring my Quicksilver, Star Gazer and Sea Witch while I wait.

The donor cabinet is a Fireball II (not firepower). I'm assuming that's what you meant?

#185 7 years ago

Yes ofcourse fireball

You can do the test with a old non populated pf but don't forget to mount the blue wooden rail on the back of the pf for an acurate simulation .

2 months later
#186 7 years ago

Nice work man. I posted a thread about my Seawitch restore here. Now I'm starting in on Fathom myself

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

The project is still on hold while I await the CPR playfield.

Did you receive your CPR playfield? Looking forward to seeing updates start again

#188 7 years ago

Did you receive your CPR playfield? Looking forward to seeing updates start again

Yessir! Playfield is here.
I'm going to finish up a few other projects I had started in the interim so that my shop doesn't turn into a hot mess.

#189 7 years ago

You guys are all crazy!- but I love it!

Amazing jobs- all of you. Would love to do something like this someday for sure. I really want to tackle a play field swap at some point. That will probably be an "easier" first step.

7 months later
#190 6 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Yessir! Playfield is here.
I'm going to finish up a few other projects I had started in the interim so that my shop doesn't turn into a hot mess.

How thick is the dust on this project now? More Fathom updates, please.

#191 6 years ago

How thick is the dust on this project now? More Fathom updates, please.

Haha! I feel bad but still haven't got the parts I need from my buddy. Seems his playfield swap is not a priority

Also, I ended up finding a real Fathom in the meantime and have been playing it. I'm still committed to finishing this project before I restore the new one though. I need to sell it after all

#192 6 years ago

Color me jealous....I have zero Fathoms here.

6 months later
#193 6 years ago

Wow! It's taken a REALLY long time, but this project is back on track.
I finally got my parts Fathom playfield from my friend this weekend. It's missing a few small bits and pieces, but I should be able to get what I need from it.
Just gotta find a few odds and ends.

If anyone here has a spare parts game, let me know. I think I'll be needing a couple of the bent wire guides and the metal posts (bell armatures) that hold up a few plastics, but nothing too crazy.

I'll be stripping and assesing this soon. Can't wait to get this project rolling again!

20180325_225857 (resized).jpg20180325_225857 (resized).jpg

#194 6 years ago

What a win landing that playfield! If you know of anyone else with a spare I'd love to tackle the project too Especially those in-line drop targets, that has to be the hardest part to find.

#195 6 years ago

Nice pickup with the spare playfield. I'm in need of a few wire ball gates for my Fathom rebuild if anyone has extras?

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Can't wait to get this project rolling again!

Yea, neither can pinside!

#197 6 years ago

It's about time!

#198 6 years ago

It's about time!

Luckily I picked up a real Fathom during this long wait. Actually, being able to play Fathom has probably contributed to the delay a little bit

Once I clear a couple of machines out of my garage I will set them both up side by side so I can use the original to check against my work on the conversion.

Quoted from roar:

What a win landing that playfield! If you know of anyone else with a spare I'd love to tackle the project too Especially those in-line drop targets, that has to be the hardest part to find.

Funny enough, I grabbed a big box of Fathom parts during this long process as well. It seems to have a complete 2nd set of drop target mechs and there is even a playfield harness... although it has been cut in a few places. But I'd say it's 90% there. Once I'm done with both of my machines I'm sure I'll offer up whatever I have left in case someone really wants to attempt this themselves.... but that'll be a while

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Luckily I picked up a real Fathom during this long wait. Actually, being able to play Fathom has probably contributed to the delay a little bit
Once I clear a couple of machines out of my garage I will set them both up side by side so I can use the original to check against my work on the conversion.

Funny enough, I grabbed a big box of Fathom parts during this long process as well. It seems to have a complete 2nd set of drop target mechs and there is even a playfield harness... although it has been cut in a few places. But I'd say it's 90% there. Once I'm done with both of my machines I'm sure I'll offer up whatever I have left in case someone really wants to attempt this themselves.... but that'll be a while

Well that is pretty exciting! How do I get to the top of that list? I'll come pick-up!

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Well that is pretty exciting! How do I get to the top of that list? I'll come pick-up!

I accept cash

But seriously. You're not far. If you are crazy enough to take it on, just check back with me once this thread is nearing completion and we'll see what I have left.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
£ 195.00
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-if-you-cant-find-one-build-one/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.