(Topic ID: 148540)

FATHOM... if you can't find one, build one!!!

By Drano

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 205 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Drano
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 97 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20180327-162356 (resized).png
20180325_225857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3446 (resized).JPG
IMG_3440 (resized).JPG
IMG_3441 (resized).JPG
IMG_3444 (resized).JPG
20161009_180849 (resized).jpg
20161009_200534 (resized).jpg
IMG_3421 (resized).JPG
IMG_3439 (resized).JPG
IMG_3438 (resized).JPG
IMG_3427 (resized).JPG
IMG_3401 (resized).JPG
IMG_3365 (resized).JPG
IMG_3402 (resized).JPG
IMG_3398 (resized).JPG

There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 3 years ago

This might be a bit nuts, but I'm thinking I'd like to try building my own Fathom.
A friend of mine knew I was looking for this game for a while and he offered me a partially populated Fathom playfield so that I could build my own as an alternative. The challenge and fun of pulling this off were just too good to pass up, so off I go!

This last weekend I scored a complete Fireball 2 to act as a donor game.
The FB2 is super rough and the cabinet needs a lot of work, but all the boards, harnesses, displays and a bunch of internal parts are present... even if a bit rusty in some places.

The Fathom playfield comes with a lot of the critical parts like drop target banks and most of the metal guides and, of course, the harness!

I will likely be in for a CPR repro playfield and will need to get a backglass, plastics etc. However, my immediate challenge is in locating some of the missing stuff that has been picked off the Fathom pf my buddy has as well as items not found in the fireball 2 cab. In particular, the metal playfield supports and pivot brackets as well as some of the one-way gates on the playfield.

It should be a great project!
I'll keep updating as I make progress.

Here's what I have to start with

20160102_175114_(resized).jpg

20160102_152131_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Good luck sir, this should be fun to watch Bringing another Fathom to life will be worth it

#3 3 years ago

Good luck with your project Drano!

I see you don't have the right speaker, I used this in my classic stern and bally project, I think they sound better then a subwoofer, Full range speaker is the way to go in this generation of pin...

amazon.com link »

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Good luck with your project Drano!
I see you don't have the right speaker, I used this in my classic stern and bally project, I think they sound better then a subwoofer, Full range speaker is the way to go in this generation of pin...
amazon.com link »

Yup, I have a weird speaker.
I was going to hunt around my local surplus electronics store for a match, but that is a very reasonable price!

#5 3 years ago

Where there's a will there's a way! :applause:Good luck!

#8 3 years ago

I looked at that Pinball Pro replacement... until it was going to turn into $125 CAD shipped!!!

Anyway, at $5 I can get a few of those Amazon ones for all my classic Bally and Stern.
Thanks man!

#9 3 years ago

Actually, I did this a couple years ago. I used a pacman as a donor. It turned out pretty sweet and plays great. So....It can be done. Here is a pic when it was about 85% done. It was a very fun project. Took mega hours though!

20130713_213227_(resized).jpg

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I looked at that Pinball Pro replacement... until it was going to turn into $125 CAD shipped!!!
Anyway, at $5 I can get a few of those Amazon ones for all my classic Bally and Stern.
Thanks man!

No problem! i bought 8 and change all my classic stern and bally. I don't like the sound of the sub in an older game, this one sound much better to me. Hope you will like it, but at 5 dollar it's not a big gamble!

#11 3 years ago

you know who cnc'd their own fathom copy?? I'm pretty sure Aaron of FAST pinball did..

found an old shot of it (I think its sans the arrow inserts)...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-pinball/page/3#post-2501801

#12 3 years ago

Oh, I plan on doing this myself if finding one doesn't work out. Mechs will be the hardest to get, particularly the trough stuff, but if I have to I'll figure it out.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Oh, I plan on doing this myself if finding one doesn't work out. Mechs will be the hardest to get, particularly the trough stuff, but if I have to I'll figure it out.

I'm thinking the drop target mechs won't be fun to find... or making the playfield harness. Luckily I have a donor Fathom playfield and it's mostly intact save for a few gates, apron and a flipper and pop mech. Fireball 2 will be well harvested

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I'm thinking the drop target mechs won't be fun to find... or making the playfield harness. Luckily I have a donor Fathom playfield and it's mostly intact save for a few gates, apron and a flipper and pop mech. Fireball 2 will be well harvested

The DT banks are fairly easy to find--I saw a marketplace ad today and a few listings on ebay. The in-line drop targets--those will be tought to find.

Put up WTB ads in the marketplace for the stuff you can't find. I've had good luck with that so far.

#15 3 years ago

Inline drop target are memory target...pretty sure they are Fathom specific...

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Inline drop target are memory target...pretty sure they are Fathom specific...

It wasn't the only game bally used them on (centaur, eight ball deluxe). Although, granted, I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to see if they are actually identical--they might be.

#17 3 years ago

Hopefully I'll be doing the same thing with a Centaur soon...

Good luck!

#18 3 years ago

Zacaj are you sure you want to sacrifice a Centaur to make a Fathom? You just made me realize maybe I should sacrifice the Skateball. How are you planning on scoring the playfield harness?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Zacaj are you sure you want to sacrifice a Centaur to make a Fathom? You just made me realize maybe I should sacrifice the Skateball. How are you planning on scoring the playfield harness?

You guys are crazy talkin'

Buy a $400 Bally beater, don't kill Centaur or Skateball

I understand the madness though...

#20 3 years ago

Too true iron00monkey I guess I should be patient

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It wasn't the only game bally used them on (centaur, eight ball deluxe). Although, granted, I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to see if they are actually identical--they might be.

Centaur have a regular drop bank with memory like 8ball de luxe, but no inline drop bank with memory...

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Thanks man!

No reason to spend all that money on a Pinball Pro setup.

I used this speaker http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc160-8-6-1-2-classic-woofer--295-305 powered by a $5 garage sale Sony amp by means of a speaker-level to RCA converter, coupled with an external Polk Audio powered 10" sub. Just ask anybody who played my Quicksilver at shows....it's a KILLER setup. Held its own next to an awesome Centaur similarly configured with an 8" internal sub.

There are other speakers out there with higher sensitivity that will sound great without needing a separate amp and converter so you just need to shop around and pay attention to the specs.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I'm thinking I'd like to try building my own Fathom.

I really hope this works out for you.It's something that I wouldn't even contemplate doing.Mainly because I simply don't have the know how.I would just have to cough up the bucks,'IF' a decent condition Bally ss was there for purchase.
Marco has full plastic sets available.Trying to source a backglass must be a challenge .

#24 3 years ago

If you want to sell the plastics from FBII I need the top left and the one over those 3 standups top left...

#25 3 years ago

That FBII center drop target plastic may finance your CPR playfield.

#26 3 years ago

That's Mr. Drano to me. Good luck, and yes the harness will be the worst part to replicate. You might be able to find the drop mechs on a different Bally machine from that era? Everything is doable, just look at the guy who built his own MM and CC.

I'm reworking my fathom, so I'll take a ton of pics of the bottom of the playfield for you if you're interested?

#27 3 years ago

I hadn't thought about the fact that the inlones are memory and not one, but two sets, those will be hard... I have one set of inlines now, but they are not memory.

#28 3 years ago

I still think that PPS or someone could remake this game and NIB at 4-4500 it would sell. Imagine brand new everything. A game with rules, art, everything done already?

#29 3 years ago

Nice examples go up for sale in that range...I know I would like brand new ones around that price point.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I still think that PPS or someone could remake this game and NIB at 4-4500 it would sell. Imagine brand new everything. A game with rules, art, everything done already?

I was talking to a friend the other day about this. I don't know why Stern doesn't re-run all of their classics?
I mean, imagine what a StarGazer VE would go for NIB? I'm sure they could easily charge $5K-$6K for it and the cost to produce has got to be a fraction of a modern pin. They could extend it to other titles like Quicksilver, Sea Witch etc....

Quoted from PinballMikeD:

That's Mr. Drano to me. Good luck, and yes the harness will be the worst part to replicate. You might be able to find the drop mechs on a different Bally machine from that era? Everything is doable, just look at the guy who built his own MM and CC.
I'm reworking my fathom, so I'll take a ton of pics of the bottom of the playfield for you if you're interested?

Thanks Mike!
Everything helps and is great;y appreciated. I do have access to a friend with a Fathom that's in pieces. He's about an hour away so I'll be planning a few visits there over the coming months, but a good gallery of pics is invaluable.

Quoted from kursiv:

Maybe not quite THAT much
There has been a lot of interest in the plastics. Some are great, others have cracks and have been patched... but all there.

Quoted from chalkup8:

Marco has full plastic sets available.Trying to source a backglass must be a challenge .

I placed my order with Marcos last night. A $0.71 Canadian dollar made that transaction VERY painfull
I grabbed some new targets and a full pop bumper set too... plus a bunch of odds and ends.

PBR had a few of the gates I needed. The rest I will scavenge or make.
Action Pinball also had a few small bits

Backglass repros are still available but they had some issues with the quality. They're still better than nothing but the word is that Shay Arcade Group is planing to run their own. I will wait and see if they are any better or worse than the CPR ones.
Maybe the dollar will have improved a bit by then

Quoted from ForceFlow:

The only other game I can think of that Bally made with "smart" targets in a 3 in-line configuration was Special Force. It's 1986 so I'm not sure if it's compatible, but maybe. I actually have one that I pulled off a buddy's playfield at home. I can compare later once I receive the Fathom donor pf from my other friend.

#31 3 years ago

I also have quite a few detail photos of the underside if you want them. Consider upgrading those pesky 555's to 44/47's!

#32 3 years ago

Hmmm sounds fun (and very difficult). Why not just go ahead and build a brand new cabinet and then just stencil it from Pinball Pimp?

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Hmmm sounds fun (and very difficult). Why not just go ahead and build a brand new cabinet and then just stencil it from Pinball Pimp?

Personally, that's what I would do as well!

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I also have quite a few detail photos of the underside if you want them. Consider upgrading those pesky 555's to 44/47's!

Yeah, totally thinking of doing this.
Is there a specific part # you'd recommend? I can never figure out what sockets would be best just from a website... and how many tabs it needs.

Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

This is a strong possibility. We do have a full woodshop at work.... but seems somewhat wasteful too. I like the idea of 'saving' stuff

#35 3 years ago

Seawitch, Nine Ball (with finished code), Galaxy, Stars, Meteor. Yeah, Stern should do VE runs of these games, they would sell and surely could be done at a lower price point than the current offerings. Might not be able to though owing to the lack of copyright on things from what I've heard here or there. At any rate, there seem to be some older titles that would do well as retro releases, NIB, all shiny with brand new control boards.

#36 3 years ago

The harvesting has begun!

20160105_234331_001_(resized).jpg

20160105_223235_(resized).jpg

20160105_234315_(resized).jpg

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Yeah, totally thinking of doing this.
Is there a specific part # you'd recommend? I can never figure out what sockets would be best just from a website... and how many tabs it needs.

This is what you need for the playfeild insert.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/E-120-127

I like to keep the one we see on the top in 555 and change all the insert one for 44/47. Keep the look more original

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I like to keep the one we see on the top in 555 and change all the insert one for 44/47. Keep the look more original

Awesome!... Figures I just sent my marcos order in last night

#39 3 years ago

pinballmedics have it in stock at 2,50$ can

And pinball life have a quantity discounts...

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=992

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I like to recycle old 44/47 sockets. While not all are suitable for reuse I have found that most I can save. I give a day or two in the vibration tumbler then solder the bases. As far as the link shown above for the insert lighting, there is another alternative for this socket. While they don't carry all the different ones you need, as least on these you can get significant saving by ordering them here...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/ls-9/mini-bayonet-base-lamp-socket/1.html

#41 3 years ago

Cool! best price in town... I had a local source before at 0.20$ can but they are out of stock and they didn't planning order it anymore. Last time i go with pinball life and pay 0.89$ US. I will keep this link for futur order.

Old 555 socket clean real good in the ultrasonic cleaner.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Cool! best price in town... I had a local source before at 0.20$ can but they are out of stock and they didn't planning order it anymore. Last time i go with pinball life and pay 0.89$ US. I will keep this link for futur order.
Old 555 socket clean real good in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Another local Pinball enthusiast turned me on to these. I did just notice that they have one other socket that might work in some applications...typically the one used for some playfield GI....has a diode already incorporated into it...Also just $0.35 per socket. Next time I order I will get a few of these.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/ls-8/mini-bayonet-base-lamp-socket/1.html

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

You guys are crazy talkin'
Buy a $400 Bally beater, don't kill Centaur or Skateball
I understand the madness though...

Whoops, wasn't clear enough. I mean that in going to build a Centaur from a beater cabinet and and old populated playfield after a friend finishes restoring their own centaur with a CPR playfield.

Hell, even just seeing someone repainting a Fireball II cabinet makes the preservationist in me a bit sad, I'm probably going to end up building the cabinet unless I can find one where the paint is really far gone already...

As for the wiring, I'm just going to make my own board set and wire it up custom.

#44 3 years ago

Good, good

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

"The PIN" is a much more complicated (Ramps, flashers, toys, licensed theme, .....) and can be delivered to your door, with 1 year in home warranty, for $2499.

So a simple game like Fathom could certainly be sold for the same price.

#46 3 years ago

If you could get a few people interested, you could laser cut the Inline Memory Drops and have the parts bent for very little money.

The patents on that stuff ran out decades ago.

PBR and Marco would probably be interested in a few too.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

hahah Glad I have two of those

#48 3 years ago

here is a link that might help you with lots of links to fathom parts

http://www.pinball.yoo-design.com/pages/links.html

also using that new pinball parts search link

http://www.pinballsearch.com/#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=fathom

good luck.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

"The PIN" is a much more complicated (Ramps, flashers, toys, licensed theme, .....) and can be delivered to your door, with 1 year in home warranty, for $2499.
So a simple game like Fathom could certainly be sold for the same price.

I completely agree though I'd imagine anyone that produced it would probably list it at 4500 with a street of at least 4K. Seems like a game that could be made at a reasonable profit at 2500 though, particularly given the more basic nature of the game. Besides the drop mechs, there isn't much to these games compared with today's machines.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I completely agree though I'd imagine anyone that produced it would probably list it at 4500 with a street of at least 4K. Seems like a game that could be made at a reasonable profit at 2500 though, particularly given the more basic nature of the game. Besides the drop mechs, there isn't much to these games compared with today's machines.

Plus, just use an altek boardset for the MPU, lamp, aux lamp, and solenoid driver boards, pick one of the producers of LED displays, a Rottendog rectifier board, and there's pretty much no software/hardware game development costs. Then it would just come down to BOM and labor costs.

[edit]: Almost forgot about the sound board:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-squawk-talk-sound-board-gordons-alive

ebay.com link » New Squawk Talk Sound Board By Mypinballs In Stock

pasted_image_(resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside