• Latest reply 6 years ago by bonzo442
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180109_182731 (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Weird issue with my Fathom left side flipper getting stuck in the up position. When this happens it’s not a magnetized coil stop as I’ve checked and it seems to be getting just a tiny bit of power just enough to keep it in the up position and easily falls if any pressure applied. I took a few coils off the return spring and that seemed to have solved the immediate issue but before I did that I noticed every once in a while when the flipper stayed up it coincided with a phantom pop bumper activation ? I know my EBD also has these weird phantom pop bumpers activating once in a while along with activating the flippers but no issues with the flipper staying up. I’ve read somewhere about the diodes going bad alowing the flow of voltage in the wrong direction so was wondering if I changed the diodes on the pops or just put new coils in would this be a solution to the phantom pops and phantom flipper power? Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Have you flipped the game off when the flipper is stuck up? If it falls then it's electrical, if it stays up it's a mechanical issue.

My guess is mechanical and maybe the phantom pop bumper is just a switch needing adjusting and maybe they are unrelated?

I had a similar issue and just taking apart the flipper mech and cleaning it and replacing the coil sleeve fixed my issue. Sounds like maybe something is just slightly out of alignment?

#3 6 years ago

Hmm wish I had tried that before I cut the spring. Guess I could switch my spring from right side just to check. Btw yes all new parts sleeve & coil, stop ect.. couldn’t be a coincidence because I would hit the flipper over & over maybe 10-15 times and it only stayed up along with the phantom pop? And that happened over many tries as well.

#4 6 years ago

Years ago there was a 'residual magnetism' problem with the coil stops that locked the flipper coil in place when you released the button. You would flip the flipper and it would stay up. A gentle tap on the coil would break the spell and the flipper would drop. The eventual fix was new copper colored coil stops with a different metal content. Distributors retro fitted all the games however you may have one that slipped through the cracks or someone may have installed one of the defective coil stops while making a repair.
If the other flipper works fine compare or even swap components and see if the problem moves.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks, I have the copper colored stop. Also the leaf switch is new and properly gapped. Also cleaned switch with rag to make sure no filings causing spark jump. Just weird that it’s tied in with pops and if it is a diode issue I would gladly make changes to stop the phantom pops on both games. Funny I haven’t noticed this issue on my Frontier.

#6 6 years ago

Turn the game off the next time it sticks. If it stays stuck you have a mechanical issue. If it returns you have an electrical one.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Turn the game off the next time it sticks. If it stays stuck you have a mechanical issue. If it returns you have an electrical one.

Definitely gonna try that as pinlink had mentioned as well, that should confirm one way or the other if it’s electrical or mechanical.

#8 6 years ago

OK I checked and it must be mechanical because after it was caught in the up position I turned the game off and it did stay? Funny thing is that it’s still coinciding when I get a phantom pop on the pop bumper.....weird. I’m going to put the shortened spring back on and just play the game ...idk

#9 6 years ago

Flipper bat too tight against the bushing? Should be about 1/8 inch vertical up / down play. If you pull up on the bat and it doesn't move up or down at all could be the bat needs to be loosened a bit by loosening the lock nut or screw on the flipper shaft and adding a bit of play.

#10 6 years ago

Yea I leave the thickness of a business card in between, theres some up down play there. I did notice the coil has a little more play than normal on that side and wondering should I tighten that up a little.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Btw yes all new parts sleeve & coil, stop ect.

If you have the old coil stop, try putting that back in.

I've had an issue with the PBL coil stops on both Flash Gordon and Fathom, for some reason. The plunger moves great until the last 1/4" and then seems to be sticky.

#12 6 years ago

Have you removed/replaced the pancake caps in it? That may explain your phantom pop issue.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

If you have the old coil stop, try putting that back in.
I've had an issue with the PBL coil stops on both Flash Gordon and Fathom, for some reason. The plunger moves great until the last 1/4" and then seems to be sticky.

Me too. I put a thin shim under the mount, and fixed it.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Have you removed/replaced the pancake caps in it? That may explain your phantom pop issue.

The pancake caps? not sure what those are do you mean on one of the boards?

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Me too. I put a thin shim under the mount, and fixed it.

where does the shim go? Under where the stop coil mounts?

#15 6 years ago

So - I had a Fathom and I think it also had the phantom pop issue .

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

So - I had a Fathom and I think it also had the phantom pop issue .

I think it's common on these games, like I had said it also happens on my EBD. Wish someone here could chime in on possible causes but I suspect bad diodes.

#17 6 years ago

It's mechanical so something is just slightly off like the coil could be slightly adjusted so that the shaft moves more freely.

For the pop issue. Have you tried flipping one leg of the cap that's on that switch? That may fix it.

#18 6 years ago

<blockquote cite=

where does the shim go? Under where the stop coil mounts?

Yeah, its like the coil stop is a hair short, or maybe bent just a hair, and not parallel to the line of the rest of the flipper mechs.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Have you tried flipping one leg of the cap that's on that switch? That may fix it.

Sorry still not sure what you mean by "flipping one leg of the cap"

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

<blockquote cite=
Yeah, its like the coil stop is a hair short, or maybe bent just a hair, and not parallel to the line of the rest of the flipper mechs.

Oh Ok I I get what you mean and will try that thanks!

#20 6 years ago

Most of the switches on the underside of the playfield will have these "pancake" caps on them. If original it's most likely they have failed. They aren't necessary for the game to play but are only $0.12 each so easy to replace. If they are original cut a single leg off. I don't think they're directional so you don't have to worry about which leg goes to which side, I may be wrong though.

20180109_182731 (resized).png20180109_182731 (resized).png

#21 6 years ago

Sorry I meant "clipping". Yes what thrillhouse said. Clip a leg of that capacitor on the switch for the pop bumper so that it is no longer connected. Does that fix the phantom pop?

#22 6 years ago

Ahh OK yes I will try that when I get a chance, I work at night so at work now, thanks for the heads up and I actually knew about this as I had seen a friend do this to his game as well and he said they are useless.

1 week later
#23 6 years ago

Ok finally got a chance this weekend to take another look.....all those caps are already gone but still getting phantom pops (I can live with it) just realized I was missing that spring washer that holds the coil tight & ordered a new one that should fix that issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 195.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-flipper-gets-stuck?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.