Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by McPin54
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Need a little help. Here is the issue. My drop targets do not have enough power to reset outside of test mode. They reset in test mode but not when you start a game (or game boots up) The mechs are free mechanically. The problem lies on the MPU. They are not getting a strong enough signal from the MPU and Im not sure the culprit.

When I short the transistors they reset strong with no issue. My first thought was it was a ground issue, so I ran the driver straight to ground.....no luck. I've tested this game with 2, 100% working drivers (Rebuilt and playing strong in other games).

I not only repined all 4 molex connectors to the MPU but Ive repined all 4 headers on the board. Does someone know where my issues is on the MPU? What component is responsible for sending the signal to the driver?

Thank you in advance!

#2 1 year ago

I think your problem may be the connectors on the Solenoid expander board under the playfield. Reflow/replace the headers there & check the relay terminals for cracks/dry joins & check the female connectors too. In lamp test mode check the dedicated lamp associated with the SEB is present & flashing with the rest of the lamps. The relay should be clicking as well.

Failing that, check/replace the female connectors on the solenoid driver board J4 if they have not been replaced (good to replace anyway) as you have tried several boards so probably not male connectors. These are the solenoid data lines that come from the MPU (J4) most likely not the issue though as a J4 connector problem would usually cause erratic or wrong coils firing rather than a weak coil(s)

#3 1 year ago

Check the manual, I believe there is a switch setting for that.

#4 1 year ago

Repinning the MPU connectors won't help. They're just sending binary data to the driver board, a weak connection won't affect the strength of the pulse. The MPU's coil pulse times are controlled by the zero crossing signal so it's not really possible for them to be off either. Manually shorting the transistors is not a good test since you can't control your timings. Repin the connector for the coil on the driver board, check connectors on the rectifier board, clean/replace the playfield coil fuse holder, etc

#5 1 year ago

Switch test mode operates the coils for a slightly longer period than game mode so will appear stronger.
You also want to make sure it's not a slightly binding mechanical issue with the mech.

#6 1 year ago

Odd one. Just for fun, test to see what DC voltage you are getting at the coils for the targets. Have you replaced the Rectifier board? (or at Minimum the fuse clips). Have any rusty, 40 year old fuses in it?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I think your problem may be the connectors on the Solenoid expander board under the playfield. Reflow/replace the headers there & check the relay terminals for cracks/dry joins & check the female connectors too. In lamp test mode check the dedicated lamp associated with the SEB is present & flashing with the rest of the lamps. The relay should be clicking as well.
Failing that, check/replace the female connectors on the solenoid driver board J4 if they have not been replaced (good to replace anyway) as you have tried several boards so probably not male connectors. These are the solenoid data lines that come from the MPU (J4) most likely not the issue though as a J4 connector problem would usually cause erratic or wrong coils firing rather than a weak coil(s)

repinned Headers on solenoid expander. Same deal. Relay joints look good but I'll hit them tomorrow.
I had already repinned both male headers and female pins for molex.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Switch test mode operates the coils for a slightly longer period than game mode so will appear stronger.
You also want to make sure it's not a slightly binding mechanical issue with the mech.

the mechanics are loose and free

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Odd one. Just for fun, test to see what DC voltage you are getting at the coils for the targets. Have you replaced the Rectifier board? (or at Minimum the fuse clips). Have any rusty, 40 year old fuses in it?

I will check for this tomorrow

#10 1 year ago

Thank you everyone for responding. I will get some time tomorrow evening and get back to it.
Thanks again

#11 1 year ago

Fantastic news! WE found the cultrate. I took apart the relay on the solenoid expander board and cleaned the contacts and she fired!
Thanks everyone for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

£ 195.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 199.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-coil-power and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.