• Latest reply 5 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1884.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I have a really sweet Fathom restoration that looks/plays great in general.

Unfortunately, I have some intermittent bug with the "traps". Here are some examples:

- The ball will get ejected before knocking down all the green/blue targets (and it will lean against the topmost target until it's knocked down).
- When you knock down all the green/blue side targets, the "trap" target corresponding to the color does not go down.
- The targets will rise even when no ball is trapped.

I thought it might be flaky boards, so I installed all new Altek "ultimate" boards and I'm still still this intermittent/flakey behavior.

Any clues on what would cause this behavior? I had a pinball tech out today and he noticed a switch was stuck. After fixing the switch, it passes all of the switch tests.

Thanks for any help! Really want to get this pin up to 100%...

snaroff IMG_1884.JPGIMG_1884.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Usually problems like that are coming from connectors pins, diodes, contact adjustment.
Look like you make a playfield swap, very old diodes or wires that broke during the swap is common. Check carefully the drop target assembly and you will find it.

#3 10 years ago

Bad relay under the playfield possibly. It switches between some coils, so if it's not working you'll get flaky behavior.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Bad relay under the playfield possibly. It switches between some coils, so if it's not working you'll get flaky behavior.

The connectors/contacts all look clean. Wires all look good, however it's hard to know for sure (since there are so many of them Also seems like a wiring problem wouldn't be so random and intermittent (but I'm sure there are exceptions).

Fathom does have a "Solenoid Expander Board" with a relay. A new one is inexpensive...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AS-2518-66

Sounds like this is my best shot at fixing the flaky behavior.

Thanks a lot for your help! Much appreciated,

snaroff

11 months later
#5 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The connectors/contacts all look clean. Wires all look good, however it's hard to know for sure (since there are so many of them Also seems like a wiring problem wouldn't be so random and intermittent (but I'm sure there are exceptions).
Fathom does have a "Solenoid Expander Board" with a relay. A new one is inexpensive...
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AS-2518-66
Sounds like this is my best shot at fixing the flaky behavior.
Thanks a lot for your help! Much appreciated,
snaroff

Did you ever solve this?
-mof

#6 9 years ago

I had a similar problem with my Fathom. I solved the issues by swapping in a known working "Solenoid Expander Board" under the playfield. Sounds like the OP was on the right path.

2 months later
#7 9 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

I had a similar problem with my Fathom. I solved the issues by swapping in a known working "Solenoid Expander Board" under the playfield. Sounds like the OP was on the right path.

"Solenoid Expander Board" -- what is its role?
-mof

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

"Solenoid Expander Board" -- what is its role?
-mof

The decoder on the solenoid driver board can only decode 16 addresses, one of which does not control any solenoids and is used to signal an inactive state. This leaves 15 solenoids available for use. As games became more complex and a need for more than 15 solenoids arose, Bally overcame this limitation by using the SEB to add anywhere from 1-15 coils using a single lamp address as a bank select. Lamp off - coils 1-15 selected, lamp on - coils 16-30 selected. Due to the lag in activating the SEB relay, quick react solenoids are on the "lamp off" bank and other coils like saucers, target resets and the outhole, which don't need to be fast are on the "lamp on" bank.

The solenoid driver board doesn't do "banks". It thinks there are 15 solenoids in the machine. Period. That's why wrong coils will fire if the SEB lamp burns out, connectors fail or the relay goes bad. So if you have a machine with a SEB and weird things are happening with the coils it's usually the first thing to check.

3 years later
#9 5 years ago

I already installed a new "red" SEB a few years ago, and it cleared up some issue (I forget what)

Here's the problem I am now having:

1. Play balls 1-2-3 no problem on rest of playfield
2. Shoot any ball into cave, and it always registers, "mermaids trapped" (switch 5 seems good) -- BUT -- sometimes it fails to raise 3 targets and say "dive again" and feed a new ball.

Clues:

1. sometimes right lower flipper has chatter
2. sometimes 2x scoring mode happens randomly?
3. last night I pressed the right flipper switch lug with the wire on it, and I saw "3" in switch test -- which is the top trough switch... WTF

-mof

Got some tips/ideas already here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-owners-club/page/9#post-4460869

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-fathom-shop-job#post-1716042

#11 5 years ago

Ok - so if I hold the switch down with a pencil - it works -- very strange, I suppose it is the switch -- will have to take a closer look -- tougher working on components way up there - especially when PF is on the hinge.

-mof

#12 5 years ago

I cleaned the switch, and bent it up a little. It's all fixed for now -- but I still don't get how...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-cavelagoon-trap-intermittent-bugs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.