image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dawson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I decided to go deep on this one , never have I done a cab restore before this ... It took me 4 bondo Try's just to get the back smooth ... Damn particL board .. Now what do I do with this , super dirty nasty , paint it blue? Clean it ( with what) it's so absorbent ... Thanks

#2 11 years ago

Pics

#3 11 years ago

Try again pic?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#6 11 years ago

Thanks fellas , yeah I was just trying to clean up the underside of this game , it's pretty dirty ... Maybe some magic bubbles? Just trying to remove the brown dirtiness of it ... The inside of the cab has been sanded and looks great , I will likely clear coat the bottom in satin and than tape off some nice lines and finish the rest in the body color... Will likey paint the area where the coin box goes , that areas really hard to sand ... I will keep posting , a lot of work but I like the way it's turning out...

#13 11 years ago

Woweeee.. Incredible !!! What did you cut to slide out the partial board out from its dado's? Nice I'm going to have to do something here " get tricky" I think I will cut it back to slide the parti al board out , then add some hdpe to fit exactly in place ... For sliding in and out of car .. And to Protect from further damage ..

image.jpgimage.jpg

#15 11 years ago

Nice call on the fix for the picture posted , I had already cut wood and wrapped with wax paper, , will photo the process ... Maybe I will just leave the HD partical board .... By the way that 8 ball is insane .... Wholly shit if my restore looks half that great I will be happy ...

2 weeks later
#20 11 years ago

Almost ready to shoot I may route in (make it flush)a nice alloy plate here , this i think might be a makeshift head hinge plate from an earlier owner or may be stock? , this fathom is a going to be moved a lot in my car , so I like the head hinge idea... This is my 4 or 5th try at getting things smooth using glazing compound .. Looks and feels paintable now..

This is the paint I will be using ( what a head ache , would rather spray auto paint but this is what pinball pal recommended ... And a few paint guys said it was good , high scrub ability .. Any criticism appreciated Thanks

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#21 11 years ago

Playfield just finished tonight ... Looks great inserts are being sanded flat and installed using vids guide.. So many to sand ...

I had a screen print made for the numbers in white... They were screened using acrylic paints
On to water slide decal paper. it going to be a bitch getting things strait

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 11 years ago

Here are the decals the first photo is the licensed the second is a scan printed on waterslide decal paper the third is a screen print printed on water slide decal ... Now what do I use?

#24 11 years ago

Sanding inserts(and my thumb) today as rain continues to pour in the PNW. Took vids advice and found the crazing could be sanded out, just not easily .. Should I clear over inserts before adding decals?

1 month later
#25 10 years ago

Getting the cab back togeather I find to be tedious because I did not label parts or fasteners its trail and error at this point

#28 10 years ago

That's a wall speaker from the house I'm remodeling , I believe it's a DLS. It has a high range speaker as well and what looks like a small sub booster.. Other than that I would say its 8 ohoms , I'm not sure even if it will work or fry my sound board ..I took the sub out of it case here and mounted it...

#29 10 years ago

Shit no pic

#31 10 years ago

I've got the playfield back ... And it looks amazing , auto clear is the best of the best like all the pros would say , it took a long time to get it here , coat after coat, but it's finally flat, I made good friends at the auto shop and am now considered family , I traded a couple pieces of this donacur Oregon coast halibut for the clear coat ...

#33 10 years ago

Up till 3 the last two nights , I should have replaced all ground braid as some is fraid pretty good , also looking for a couple parts

Steve at pbr does not have these , any ideas or is it a make your own?

Also looking for a complete lock down bar for the back glass

#35 10 years ago

Ha, no that's the old playfield which was in much worse shape , yours has been cleaned , inserts removed and cleared for sealing will paint it while in Alaska

image.jpgimage.jpg

#37 10 years ago

Well I paid 60 bucks ! as well as giving him a couple pieces of fish, I did most of the sanding (which wasn't a lot ) still a hell of a bargain , 6 lbs fish x 22 bucks a pound .. He was stoked because you can't get fresh day caught fish even here on the coast of Oregon ...

#38 10 years ago

Not sure how these sling shot switches are wired
a photo would be greAt it anyone has one , I know this is rookie as hell but .

I made these out of some copper pipe smashed with a hammer ... Worked nice and still pretty stiff

image.jpgimage.jpg

#40 10 years ago

Honey cut thanks for the quick response , got it ! She's finally back togeather ! 6 months in my living room restore time to flip the switch ,.,. Ta da!! Pop bam wiz ! 20 amp big dog fuse blown , wtf I ? Never seen that !

#41 10 years ago

Just took the u tube class on testing bridge rectifiers ( just install new 35 amp ones 2 months ago ) and they tested out fine , I've got a ground crossed somewhere dammit ,.. Off to the store for more fuses

I would also like to add when clear coating a playfield make sure to sand the edges down before you put it back together as I learned the building up prevents the ease on installing pf into cab

#43 10 years ago

Ahh great , I will take a close look , I did realize I did not connect the cab ground to the heads ground , the flat ground braid the runs to the back box,

Also I could not find any fuses except for these twenty amp 250 ceramic fuses will those be ok , ?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#45 10 years ago

Honeycutt. Dam dude , you are good!!!
yep the aux light board was mounted to the stand offs then bolted down , fixed that fuse issue , also realized I had a wired one light in reverse that I knew about! it had just slipped my mind ... Idiot... , I think the short was hitting the aux board before my other fuc up ... Pinside has treated me very well today

Can't thank people enough for there knowledge and the sharing of that knowledge , tj

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dawson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-cabinet-restore?tu=Dawson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.