Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2022-07-2621.54.509192838097945258907.jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi,
I was wondering if it was possible to find a nice original backglass or only reproduction? Is the quality of reproduction close to original?
Thanks

#2 5 years ago

for this title most people want the original the repro is close but it comes in second place compared to the orig. which can be VERY difficult to find for purchse

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

for this title most people want the original the repro is close but it comes in second place compared to the orig. which can be VERY difficult to find for purchse

How many runs has been made? Is there a reproduction better than another if there were several runs?
Thanks

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

How many runs has been made? Is there a reproduction better than another if there were several runs?
Thanks

Their have been 3 runs of the Fathom backglasses, first was Phoenix arcade around 2004, then CPR did a run a few years ago, then Shay did the most recent run a year or two ago.

I had a phoenix arcade repro, it was very saturated with the colours like blue, purple. Side by side looked nothing like an original bg. Also resolution was not very good, ie blurry, probably due to a different reproduction process.

I also bought a CPR repro, basically the same as the Phoenix repro. When juxtaposing the two repros, the Phoenix was actually a little better resolution wise. Both repros have been well documented here & on other forums regarding these issues.

Needless to say both have gone. Great to have an option if you didn't have a backglass at all or a terrible one. At the time I simply wanted to upgrade a 7.5 glass to a mint glass, my original was way better, even being a bit rough.

The final repro that is available now was produced Shay Arcade I believe, I don't have one, but from a review here (somewhere) & close up pics it is excellent, with just a few small issues. I sure I would be more than happy with one if I needed it, Shay do fantastic quality faithful to original backglasses.

As far as an original, I think with the high price of Fathoms now, the backglasses do command a lot. I bought a near mint glass from a ebay seller in Europe a couple of years or so ago, it cost US$800.00 (with shipping) to Australia, so about US$600.00 just for the glass.

Their was another near mint Fathom glass for sale here more recently, not sure if it sold, I the asking price was $600 - $800. finding an original in any condition is now very difficult, let alone a mint glass.

#5 5 years ago

Shay Arcade Group announced on their website that they will be making Fathom backglasses again soon

#7 5 years ago

Is there the last run you are talking about?
Thanks

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Is there the last run you are talking about?
Thanks

Yeah last run was about 6 months ago.

#9 5 years ago

The last run was produced by the same manufacturing company that produces Hardtops. Planetary Pinball has been using them in recent years for multiple projects. This latest reproduction is probably the closest there is.

1 week later
#10 5 years ago

Hey guys, just need some info on a Bally Old Chicago Backglass and if it's worth $150.00 asking price. I've looked it over and it appears to be original and in unbelievable shape; 9.9 atleast. I was going to buy it to make a shadow box out of. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thx Russ

4 years later
#11 1 year ago

Hi,
I saw PPS was selling a run, a mirrored one called G440-17. Any review about the quality and why that name?
Shay is still selling it too, is there any difference between them?
Thanks

#12 1 year ago

Here is a pic of the recent PPS run back glass. I think it's awesome. Hard for me to compare to a mint original as mine was pretty toasted. It's actually great quality IMO. As with all other repro glass, the credit wording/label is not there. PM me if you want more pics.

2022-07-2621.54.509192838097945258907.jpg2022-07-2621.54.509192838097945258907.jpg
#13 1 year ago

Always go with Shay when possible IMO.

#14 1 year ago

Well, i guess i can’t go wrong either PPS or Shay.

I would have prefered an european source but near impossible to find.

Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.