(Topic ID: 97577)

FAST Portable Pinball

By fastpinball

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6740.jpg
    IMG_6693.jpg
    IMG_6821.JPG
    IMG_6817.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6704.jpg
    IMG_6682.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fastpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hello! I started this thread to post pics and answer questions on the Portable Pinball game we built and have been bringing to shows (and to not highjack Brian's Mission Pinball Framework thread!)

This was a build designed to provide a fun booth demo with a game running on our hardware, but in a form factor that travelled well. Being from the Seattle area, most shows are a bit of a trek for us!

This was a 2 week build from idea to getting on the plane for the 2013 Chicago Pinball Expo. I like a challenge and I believe there was a promise of a beer if I pulled it off. It has since also flown to the Texas Pinball Festival. The airport staff love seeing pinball! Here is a video of it playing.

I'll post more pictures soon and show some of the more challenging bits in more detail. Based on the response at CAX this last weekend, I will be creating build plans and eventually probably sell kits of sorts bundled with our hardware to drive it.

When making the games work is easier, the form factors can get wilder!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

FYI: Skillshot Pinball was our old name, so that is why you see it in some of the pics.

IMG_6682.jpgIMG_6682.jpg IMG_6704.jpgIMG_6704.jpg IMG_6708.JPGIMG_6708.JPG IMG_6817.JPGIMG_6817.JPG IMG_6821.JPGIMG_6821.JPG IMG_6693.jpgIMG_6693.jpg IMG_6740.jpgIMG_6740.jpg
    #3 9 years ago
    Quoted from jtimmons:

This is awesome! I would buy one in a heartbeat! It would be cool to have an easy way to edit rules / kind of create your own game with the Fast Pinball system too! Maybe have add on kits with ramps and other items people could put in. Kind of like a Knex or Lego version for pinball. Looks like a cool project!

Hey thanks! We joke that this is aimed at the RV market (you cant get a full-sized pin in those doors!) but really its just a nice little form factor.

From a first time builder standpoint, it has everything that the full-sized games have with regard to hardware, software, etc. It makes for an ideal form factor for doing your first game build and programming, especially when you dont have access to a large workspace. Even without the fold-up aspect, it makes for something small enough to slip in a closet or slip under some higher beds.

A sample game would be included if we make a kit. It would be great to give builders a starting point to begin personalizing the game for themselves.

I have been saying that building a game from a kit like this should require the skills needed to wire-up a high-end stereo and put together some Ikea furniture. The programming success will vary, but the goal would be to have well documented, logical code that should be too intimidating.

I love how its full-sized playfield and lockbar. Playing it you can close your eyes and it feels/sounds full-sized.

Also, if anyone has seen/played it in person, please chime in with your comments/critiques!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from horseypin:

Nice one.
    You say full length, it looks standard'ish 20" wide?
    Kit is great idea , you're onto something here.

The playfield is an unaltered (aside from sanding) "classic" length of 42" and I believe 20.25" in width.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

6 years later
    #8 3 years ago
    Quoted from InsideOutlane:

I know this is a very old thread, but any updates? How as the machine held up? If you don't plan to sell it as a kit would you cobsider posting the plans? Thank you.

It's still around. I have started rewiring, but other projects have popped up in the way. It would be a fun kit idea. I'll get back to it sometime.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fastpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-portable-pinball?tu=fastpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.