(Topic ID: 97763)

FAST Pinball

By fastpinball

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

io loop wiring (resized).jpg
    12V 3 feeds (resized).jpg
    8 solenoids 1 wire (resized).jpg
    switches-right-wrong (resized).jpg
    ssr-wiring-with-neuron (resized).jpg
    power circuit ratings (resized).jpg
    coin door wiring (resized).png
    bill reader wiring (resized).png
    cabinet left switches (resized).png
    FP-IO-0024-4 (resized).jpg
    cabinet io board features (resized).png
    pindevcon photostrip (resized).jpg
    20230111_115946 (resized).jpg
    20230110_075345_smaller (resized).jpg
    101527CC-A8F5-4824-B759-89FA9D1FCA10 (resized).jpeg
    81C5D8B9-F384-4C7C-B167-350AEEAC0B83 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider irishbastard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#344 3 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Wow. Things have been so busy I have failed at posting updates!
    First off, Expo is coming up next week and we are really excited to be heading out there once again. Bringing with us this year the more "maker space" style presence we have had at other shows and events. Come and hang out with us and see what everyone is working on. If you want to jump in a lend a hand on something, feel free to ask where you can help! Our theme this year has been "The Process" and many of us have been working hard on developing work flows and methods to make certain parts of the process more effecient and successful.
    We will have some new items to show off at the booth this year but I do want to post a quick pic of our new FAST RGB DMD! These will be for sale for $299. We are just holding on an update to our bootloader software (which might be done by the time we start the journey to Chicago!) which allows for the "in the field" easy firmware updates.
    [quoted image]
    We have been trying to keep what is "in development" more to ourselves until it's closer to being released. We have taken flack for that in the past. But who knows what we share in person and after a few drinks!
    To all my pinball developer/maker/programmer/designer friends, rally til the goal! See you at Expo!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Does anyone have any information on this RGB DMD?? Instructions, software, documentation of any kind? Is it dead tech? Started a post, which hasn't had any responses. Sent a PM here to OP and email to the Fast Pinball website, no response. I have one, and just want to have some information to go off prior to testing it in a pin.

Thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-pinball-rgbdmd-questions

#346 3 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Hey! Sorry I didn't see you message. We have been head down on some fun stuff. I'll collect some info for you later today.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Sorry about that, Thank You!!

1 year later
    #360 1 year ago

So, is there any way to use the DMD as a multi-color, color DMD on a regular game?

#362 1 year ago
    Quoted from BrianMadden:

We have an RGB LED DMD (wow that's a lot of letters) which can be a drop-in replacement for original DMDs. (Product page is here, I assume this is the one you're talking about?) It should work in any machine that has the 14-pin DMD connector as a drop in replacement (and like any LED DMD, it only needs 12V and not the original high voltage). My "to do" list includes testing this on all the various machine types. We have this on several of our WPC machines, but it should work on SAM, White Star, SPIKE 1, etc. (Worst case we would have to adjust some timing and add a menu option. And when I say "we", I mean ecurtz as he's the one who wrote all the code for this.)
    Since those original machines just did four brightness levels of orange/red (well, some were 16, but let's just call it four for now), there's a menu where you can set what four RGB colors you want for each of the four shades. This means that it essentially can become any "color" replacement DMD you want.. set it to four shades of green or pink or orange or whatever you want. The menu interface lets you map any hex color to the original shades, so you can get really trippy and mix colors which doesn't look as crazy as you'd think in some machines. (I mean like use black, red, purple, white, for example, for the original 0,1,2,3 brightness levels.)
    This DMD product also has a USB port on it where you can attach to it via any host computer and send DMD frames via the FAST Serial Protocol. In that case you get the full RGB 16.7M color options for full color DMD at up to about 20fps. That is how people use it in the homebrew community for a full color DMD.
    If you are working on a 2.0 game and you want to keep the DMD look, then you could also use this DMD. It would be 4 shades (though set to any color you want) for the 1.0 / original game running via our FAST emulation (also thanks to ecurtz), and then full color for the 2.0 game.
    Getting back to your actual question, at this time if you buy this RGB LED DMD and drop it into an original machine with no other FAST hardware, you will just get the ability to recolor the four original shades. It won't let you fully colorize every original frame or replace original frames.
    Also quick note that the version of this DMD listed on our docs site has a lot of other components on it to allow plugging in additional expansion modules. We've since evolved our approach to this (culminating with the FAST Retro Platform we announced at TPF last month) which moves those components from the DMD to the FAST Retro Controller, so future LED DMDs from FAST will look different on the back but will essentially be functionally identical.
    All that said, this space is changing and evolving quickly, and we have lots of plans and partnerships in the works. We'll keep you posted!

Thank You for the indepth response! I have one collecting dust. I was going to try it in my Sopranos, just never got around to it. I figured I'd ask about "full color" as I've been procrastinating for years to add a ColorDMD to it, and of course now prices have jumped and stock is unavailable.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider irishbastard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-pinball?tu=irishbastard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.