(Topic ID: 97763)

FAST Pinball

By fastpinball

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

io loop wiring (resized).jpg
    12V 3 feeds (resized).jpg
    8 solenoids 1 wire (resized).jpg
    switches-right-wrong (resized).jpg
    ssr-wiring-with-neuron (resized).jpg
    power circuit ratings (resized).jpg
    coin door wiring (resized).png
    bill reader wiring (resized).png
    cabinet left switches (resized).png
    FP-IO-0024-4 (resized).jpg
    cabinet io board features (resized).png
    pindevcon photostrip (resized).jpg
    20230111_115946 (resized).jpg
    20230110_075345_smaller (resized).jpg
    101527CC-A8F5-4824-B759-89FA9D1FCA10 (resized).jpeg
    81C5D8B9-F384-4C7C-B167-350AEEAC0B83 (resized).jpeg
    There are 412 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
    #251 7 years ago

What I said the mini controller board for? I see it in the store, but not on the hardware page of the main site. For instance, if I'm using a Win10 computer, what board would work for me? Expanding the discriptions would be nice for researching.

#252 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

What I said the mini controller board for? I see it in the store, but not on the hardware page of the main site. For instance, if I'm using a Win10 computer, what board would work for me? Expanding the discriptions would be nice for researching.

Also, documentation. Is there anything to describe how to not make fuses cry (or kill drivers)?

#253 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Thanks for you patience. Sometimes I leave these threads open on my laptop and when it reloads the tab it treats it as read, and I miss posts.

For the mini controller, can I assume you mean the FAST Nano Controller? I ran out of time before heading to Expo to get the new content posted to the website, but here is a direct link to the information about the FAST Nano Controller. I will be working on our website this week to get all the new content online. FINALLY!!!

http://fastpinball.com/platform/hardware/controllers/fast-nano-controller

Our FAST Controllers will work with anything that can make a serial connection. Windows 10 will work fine.

Sorry for not getting back to you last night, as I said I would. Cello lessons fed right into soccer which ran right into swim team. I got home and fell asleep on the couch! But today I have all to myself, to catchup on orders and correspondence.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#254 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Also, documentation. Is there anything to describe how to not make fuses cry (or kill drivers)?

The docs for the hardware are FAST specific and will be trickling up to the website here soon. The new FAST Kit documentation is in the works and is being done in more of a step-by-step instruction manual format.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#255 7 years ago

No worries, life is life. Yes, I did mean the Nano. I look forward to the updates to the site and I know how that goes. Tucsonpinball.com gets neglected too long fairly often. I'd like to see how wiring for the RGB LED's is supposed to go. That will be way down the line for me, but still.

Does the power filter board do what the smart fuse block does and more?

I'm looking at a setup with this:
    FAST Nano
    Filter board
    I/O 0804
    and later expand.

Are these all available? Might have to buy as the budget allows, but wondering if anything just isn't available yet.

Thanks again.

#256 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

FAST Nano
    Filter board
    I/O 0804

That's a great starting setup and very similar to where I started.

I'd recommend adding a sheet of LEDs to the order as well. You will use them eventually, and being able to flash some lights is a nice way to get some satisfaction out of the stuff almost right out of the box.

#257 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's a great starting setup and very similar to where I started.
    I'd recommend adding a sheet of LEDs to the order as well. You will use them eventually, and being able to flash some lights is a nice way to get some satisfaction out of the stuff almost right out of the box.

Good point. Thanks.

#258 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

No worries, life is life. Yes, I did mean the Nano. I look forward to the updates to the site and I know how that goes. Tucsonpinball.com gets neglected too long fairly often. I'd like to see how wiring for the RGB LED's is supposed to go. That will be way down the line for me, but still.
    Does the power filter board do what the smart fuse block does and more?
    FAST Nano
    Filter board
    I/O 0804
    and later expand.
    Are these all available? Might have to buy as the budget allows, but wondering if anything just isn't available yet.
    Thanks again.

The FAST Power Filter board has the FAST Smart Fuse Block tech built in. All of the items you listed are available. That is the bare minimum to get things flipping. If you swap out the 0804 with a 3208 you have everything you need for the "lower 1/3" playfield. But with it being simple/modular you can mix and match parts as you go.

Danny has been working on the website content while we were out at Expo. So we should have things in order here for the site soon. FINALLY!!!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#259 7 years ago

If you can get the 3208, I'd recommend it. It gets you the "lower third" as Aaron said, plus two extra coils. If your game does not include an auto-plunge, the 3208 gets you two flippers, two slings, the trough and three pops. Value!

#260 7 years ago
    Quoted from BrewinBombers:

If you can get the 3208, I'd recommend it. It gets you the "lower third" as Aaron said, plus two extra coils. If your game does not include an auto-plunge, the 3208 gets you two flippers, two slings, the trough and three pops. Value!

That will depend on your flipper types. Many users are going with the dual wound WMS style. So common breakdown is:

Drivers: 8

(2) Left Flipper Main & Hold Coil
    (2) Right Flipper Main & Hold Coil
    (1) Left Sling
    (1) Right Sling
    (1) Auto Fire
    (1) Trough

Switches: 32

Cabinet (7)
    (1) Start Button
    (1) Left Flipper
    (1) Right Flipper
    (1) Coin Door
    (1) Shooter Lane Switch
    (1) Launch Ball
    (1) Tilt

Playfield (13)
    (7) Ball Trough (Six balls + Trough Jam Switch)
    (1) Left Sling
    (1) Right Sling
    (1) Left Outlane
    (1) Left Inlane
    (1) Right Outlane
    (1) Right Inlane

Leaving 12 more switches for targets, etc.

A 3208 and 0804 would give you the 4 more drivers for the 3 pop coils and a scoop or something like that.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#261 7 years ago

Oops, I forgot I was the only single-coil weirdo.

#262 7 years ago

Any news on kit pricing/availability? Would like to start saving up for that. Would also be interested in seeing a list of all that's included. I spoke with you at expo about it so I have a good idea but not sure what I/O and Controller config is planned to be offered in it.

#263 7 years ago
    Quoted from pigeonfarmboy:

Any news on kit pricing/availability? Would like to start saving up for that. Would also be interested in seeing a list of all that's included. I spoke with you at expo about it so I have a good idea but not sure what I/O and Controller config is planned to be offered in it.

Getting close. We are working with a couple other companies to finish out the parts list. I was sick after Expo so I am catching up a bit. I hope to have these details wrapped up in the next week or so. The response has been great. I was honestly surprised by the messages I was getting before we were even home from Chicago. Very encouraging!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#264 7 years ago

Yeah the kit really makes sense for me jumping into this blindfolded. I have not pulled the trigger on a cnc router yet either (waiting for Shaper Origin) so this gets me a lot further along with a build. Looking forward to hearing the details.

3 weeks later
    #265 7 years ago

Any update on a starter kit? Looking specifically for a Nano controller option.

#266 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Any update on a starter kit? Looking specifically for a Nano controller option.

Hey! I have been waiting on some parts and parts quotes to get the kits pricing finished all together. Finally, getting caught up and recovered from Expo. So things should start moving more smoothly soon. Gotta have kits ready for Christmas! Who doesn't want a box of pinball making goodness under the tree this year?

I'll get our website updated with the kits as soon as I have it all wrapped up. Soon!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#267 7 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Hey! I have been waiting on some parts and parts quotes to get the kits pricing finished all together. Finally, getting caught up and recovered from Expo. So things should start moving more smoothly soon. Gotta have kits ready for Christmas! Who doesn't want a box of pinball making goodness under the tree this year?
    I'll get our website updated with the kits as soon as I have it all wrapped up. Soon!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Sounds good, looking forward to it.

#268 7 years ago

Here is the super cool wooden model that is included in the FAST DIY color LED display kit!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #271 7 years ago

Does anyone know if the FAST guys have vacation? We have not received any replay to our emails except the first one we sent where I forgot to ask for information about when they will restock.

#272 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gondar:

Does anyone know if the FAST guys have vacation? We have not received any replay to our emails except the first one we sent where I forgot to ask for information about when they will restock.

Hey there! Sorry if we missed an email. I sometimes get contact form and direct email messages that look like they are the same inquiry and maybe they were not in your case. We have had a surge in interest in the FAST Core Controller and are working out our restock plans for that controller.

We have been pretty focused on the new kits and displays.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#273 7 years ago

I sent an email question a while ago as well and never received a reply. I was just wondering if the Core controllers would be restocked? I wasn't sure if the Nano controller was replacing it, or if they would both continue to be in your line.

- John

#274 7 years ago

John,

So sorry about that! I was sick for a bit after we got back from Expo and got behind on some of my responsibilities but I thought I had caught up with everyone.

The FAST Nano Controller was born after requests for a controller without the cost bound to the DMD controller that they didn't expect to use. By shedding the DMD control and the Beaglebone Black interface we lowered the cost of getting started on pinball development.

Since the FAST Nano Controller was available, interest in the FAST Core Controller decreased... until lately. I think the update to the BBB renewed interest in that form factor. We do have some Core Controllers left which needed one part installed after manufacturing. There has been enough interest lately that it's probably time to get those completed, tested and on the store.

Our goal with our controller design was to make it so programmers could write code using our FAST Protocol interface and not be burdened by changes we may make in the hardware itself. For example, if we decided to change the ARM processor we use to control the RGB LEDs or the FAST Loop Network, you wouldn't know the difference because we handle all the processor specific work in firmware. You just make your serial connection to the virtual COM port for the specific processor and you are on your way.

We will go through the FAST Core Controller inventory and see what is readily available and get those online. I'll reach out to you and the others the have expressed interest in the order of inquiry. If you emailed me I likely have it archived. Sometimes we get messages from a few places at once and I incorrectly assume they were the same inquiry.

Thank you for your patience. Looking forward to sharing progress on some other fun stuff soon, too!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#275 7 years ago

Aaron:

Thanks for your response. I will continue to watch for the core controllers. I will try to send you my email address through private message.

- John.

#276 7 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Thanks for you patience. Sometimes I leave these threads open on my laptop and when it reloads the tab it treats it as read, and I miss posts.
    For the mini controller, can I assume you mean the FAST Nano Controller? I ran out of time before heading to Expo to get the new content posted to the website, but here is a direct link to the information about the FAST Nano Controller. I will be working on our website this week to get all the new content online. FINALLY!!!
    http://fastpinball.com/platform/hardware/controllers/fast-nano-controller
    Our FAST Controllers will work with anything that can make a serial connection. Windows 10 will work fine.
    Sorry for not getting back to you last night, as I said I would. Cello lessons fed right into soccer which ran right into swim team. I got home and fell asleep on the couch! But today I have all to myself, to catchup on orders and correspondence.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Is there a page like this for the power filter board? I'm going to start piecing together parts and seeing the wiring diagram for the filter would be nice.

1 week later
    #277 7 years ago

Just bit the bullet and ordered everything needed to do a full EM to Solid State conversion. Cant wait to go pick everything up this weekend.

#278 7 years ago
    Quoted from JosiahCox:

Just bit the bullet and ordered everything needed to do a full EM to Solid State conversion. Cant wait to go pick everything up this weekend.

Right on! Looking forward to meeting up on Sunday.

For anyone interested there is an impromptu FAST/Mission Pinball meetup shaping up for Sunday evening at our arcade space in Gig Harbor, WA. Brian Madden is coming to town and that is more than enough reason to get together. Brian Cox, designer of Tattoo Mystique (and what feels like a dozen others pins in the works including Steampunk Royale, Roller Girlz, and more) will be joining us, as well as my Pinball Expo road trip buddy Jeremy Edwards (you will know his work soon enough!).

Saturday evening we will be visiting Mike O'Rourke in Portland for a night of pinball and drinking (at least I am drinking!). Come out and find us if you are in Portland saturday night. Mike is working on some cool, original pinball designs and has helped many of us with modeling and printing (check out that bathtub in Mark Incitti's Nightmare Before Christmas!) for our own pinball designs. Mike is an active pinball player and I look forward to getting a primer on the rules and a bunch of plays on BM66 this weekend, just like I did with Ghostbusters on my last Portland trip.

It's a good weekend for pinball in the Northwest. PM me if we want to meetup!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#279 7 years ago

Somebody couldn't sleep last night because I see I got a shipping confirmation email for a power filter board at ~2AM. Looking forward to that.

EDIT: Still wondering if there is a document area for other items like what was linked above for the Nano Controller? Looking for anything I/O and power filter related.

#280 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Somebody couldn't sleep last night because I see I got a shipping confirmation email for a power filter board at ~2AM. Looking forward to that.
    EDIT: Still wondering if there is a document area for other items like what was linked above for the Nano Controller? Looking for anything I/O and power filter related.

Getting caught up and aim to be back into faster fulfillment times next week. It's nuts how getting sick knocks you out of our groove and just how long it takes to get back in it!

I'll grab some links from the staged website we have been working on and post them back here.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#281 7 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Getting caught up and aim to be back into faster fulfillment times next week. It's nuts how getting sick knocks you out of our groove and just how long it takes to get back in it!
    I'll grab some links from the staged website we have been working on and post them back here.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Thanks and feel better.

#282 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Thanks and feel better.

Better now, but from Expo to New Years, not so much!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

1 month later
    #283 7 years ago

We couldn't make it to Texas Pinball this year, but will be back there soon. While our pinball friends look like they are having a blast in Texas, we are keeping ourselves busy in the workshop. Super stoked to be getting prepared for some cool happenings at and around the NW Pinball Show in June. Making pinball is awesome!

IMG_0410 (resized).JPGIMG_0410 (resized).JPG

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

2 months later
    #284 6 years ago

Aaron - It was great meeting you at NWPAS last weekend. I assume you're buried, but would love a synopsis of your show experience.

#285 6 years ago
    Quoted from HughesDForce:

Aaron - It was great meeting you at NWPAS last weekend. I assume you're buried, but would love a synopsis of your show experience.

Great to meet you too! Funny, I was just getting ready to head out to the Fab Lab to meet some folks for some playfield cutting and I was reflecting on the show.

I'll let the thoughts settle a bit and post something here. Thank you for the suggestion!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#286 6 years ago

Don't know if this question has been answered already but, few yrs back PPS mentioned FH and TOTAN 2.0and of course it never happened. Any way you can bring this to life? I'm guessing you'd need someone to get the programming done?

#287 6 years ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

Don't know if this question has been answered already but, few yrs back PPS mentioned FH and TOTAN 2.0and of course it never happened. Any way you can bring this to life? I'm guessing you'd need someone to get the programming done?

After the fallout from both of the "companies" we were going to work with on those, we continued focus on our new game hardware. At the same time, we have been revising our approach to platform specific hardware interfaces. The FAST WPC/WPC-S Controllers required a lot of components that were not all used in each use case, making them expensive and wasteful. This new approach will allow us to make more generic platform interface boards with focus on the context specific inputs and outputs. These platform interface boards are much less expensive to produce and the controller modules they could include would be useful in whatever controller form factor we produce.

Our FAST Controllers have always been modular in their SMD components, so now we are taking that a step further. The first place this design approach will appear is in our FAST RGB DMD. We are working on some final code refinements and some of that was witnessed in real time at our FAST Pinball booth. Dave and Eli were working on the code a bit at the booth on Friday and talking about the designs.

Full circle, back to your question. We needed to nail the hardware to deliver any 2.0 games in a way that was cost effective, as well as easily expandable. Allowing game re-designers to easily add RGB LEDs, additional drivers for adding coils or magnets, etc. etc. Here are a few pics showing the FAST RGB DMD w/ some unpopulated modules I had lying around. There is also a pic showing a mockup of how our reimagined FAST WPC/WPC-S Controller will be arranged. We don't have the new PCBs for those yet.

Finally, for the programming. We have had some folks express interest in taking lead on the code work, but it hasn't been aggressively pursued as the hardware was still in transition. If you or anyone else is interested in kicking some 2.0 butt, shoot me a message. I am always interested in meeting pinball loving programmers who want to push the platform further.

Top: FAST WPC/WPC-S Controller. Bottom: Backside of FAST RGB DMDTop: FAST WPC/WPC-S Controller. Bottom: Backside of FAST RGB DMD
    FAST RGB DMD w/ a few unpopulated controller modules includedFAST RGB DMD w/ a few unpopulated controller modules included
    Existing FAST WPC/WPC-S Controller w/ some controller modules sprinkled about as a mockup.Existing FAST WPC/WPC-S Controller w/ some controller modules sprinkled about as a mockup.

Ok. Jack is about to cut a playfield, so back to the CNC.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#288 6 years ago

Jack is stoked to be cutting his latest Muppets playfield. Brian looks on a make sure all runs smoothly.

IMG_1308 (resized).JPGIMG_1308 (resized).JPG

Up next: new Jupiter Crush playfields and some playfields for the new FAST Starter Kits.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#289 6 years ago

man i wish i knew someone who could tackle the programming ! if i could do it myself... it would have been done a long time ago !!!

#290 6 years ago

Why is Brian the only serious guy in the shop right now?

IMG_1313 (resized).JPGIMG_1313 (resized).JPG

The answer is because he is the only one here who has built like 6 pins? And cut dozens of playfields!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#291 6 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Great to meet you too! Funny, I was just getting ready to head out to the Fab Lab to meet some folks for some playfield cutting and I was reflecting on the show.
    I'll let the thoughts settle a bit and post something here. Thank you for the suggestion!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

And now I'm really wishing I'd been able to make it out to your maker-day at the Fab Lab.

#292 6 years ago
    Quoted from HughesDForce:

And now I'm really wishing I'd been able to make it out to your maker-day at the Fab Lab.

Keep in touch. We have plans for another event later this summer.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

3 months later
    #293 6 years ago

No news I can find of starter kits. Came up in discussion the other day with a friend and I became curious again.

#294 6 years ago
    Quoted from pigeonfarmboy:

No news I can find of starter kits. Came up in discussion the other day with a friend and I became curious again.

Hey! We had sold out of our FAST Nano Controller and needed to reorder. We have got them in now and will begin promoting them soon. Excited to say that one of the first hardware kits is going to our friends the Pinball Amigos for their Crazy Mansion game!

Thank you for the interest! I’ll be posting info on the kits most likely this weekend.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#295 6 years ago

Any progress on the pf blanks? I finished my restore essentially and am gearing up to start messing with the FAST boards I ordered years ago and getting them running - be awesome to have a couple Playfields to start working with that were drilled and ready to roll

#296 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Any progress on the pf blanks? I finished my restore essentially and am gearing up to start messing with the FAST boards I ordered years ago and getting them running - be awesome to have a couple Playfields to start working with that were drilled and ready to roll

Yeah! We have been cutting blanks for ourselves, getting it right. 20.25" x 42" and 20.25" x 46" cuts. We are going to do the kits with and without playfield wood. Also, lower 3rd playfields w/ shooter lanes at the dimensions above. We can setup for a widebody, as well.

I think we are going to try and do another meetup here in November at the FAST space in Gig Harbor. It would be cool to have you down!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#297 6 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Yeah! We have been cutting blanks for ourselves, getting it right. 20.25" x 42" and 20.25" x 46" cuts. We are going to do the kits with and without playfield wood. Also, lower 3rd playfields w/ shooter lanes at the dimensions above. We can setup for a widebody, as well.
    I think we are going to try and do another meetup here in November at the FAST space in Gig Harbor. It would be cool to have you down!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Right on- a couple lower 3rd cuts would be sweet and save a lot of time! Love to make the meetup in nov

#298 6 years ago

keep us posted sounds like fun

1 week later
    #299 6 years ago

Hi dudes at Fast Pinball!

I'm planning a homebrew pinball and I'm trying to find a path to start my journey.
    I have a few questions about FP.

It's been a while I visited your website and I noticed it's not working very good for a while now. Not at all in fact. I used to use my mobile instead of desktop if I wanted to see your site but that doesn't work anymore either. Are you guys familiar with that? Is it because I live in Europe? I believe you don't actually ship over here, or I'am I wrong?

You sell a Meanwell 48v regulated power supply, if I remember correct, right? Does it really need those two big capacitors on your small fuse board?

And I'm planning to use a 5v dmd (6 amps max fully on). Do you think I should add such a capacitor on 5v line too to keep other controllers on the 5v line working?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Mek

#300 6 years ago
    Quoted from MasterMek:

Hi dudes at Fast Pinball!
    I'm planning a homebrew pinball and I'm trying to find a path to start my journey.
    I have a few questions about FP.
    It's been a while I visited your website and I noticed it's not working very good for a while now. Not at all in fact. I used to use my mobile instead of desktop if I wanted to see your site but that doesn't work anymore either. Are you guys familiar with that? Is it because I live in Europe? I believe you don't actually ship over here, or I'am I wrong?
    You sell a Meanwell 48v regulated power supply, if I remember correct, right? Does it really need those two big capacitors on your small fuse board?
    And I'm planning to use a 5v dmd (6 amps max fully on). Do you think I should add such a capacitor on 5v line too to keep other controllers on the 5v line working?
    Thanks for your reply in advance.
    Mek

Morning!

What mobile device do you use? I have not had complaints that it did not work for mobile, although it is not updated to a responsive layout just yet. You can checkout a staging site in the meantime http://fastpinballdev.gdsocial.com

When using a switching power supply like the 48v Meanwell we sell, we recommend our FAST Power Filter Board. This encorporates the HV enable found on our FAST Fuse Block and adds the capacititors that allow the switching power supply to perform as pinball demands. I don’t believe you would need a capacitor for your 5v line. Your power needs are hard to estimate without knowing what other demands you have.

We do ship internationally. Canada, Europe, Australia, etc. I will be adding international shipping information to the website soon. What we do now is ask you to email us with yours needs and we will submit a PayPal invoice for the items and shipping. Go ahead and email [email protected] with your needs and any other questions!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

There are 412 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-pinball/page/6?hl=hughesdforce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.