(Topic ID: 156038)

FAST or P-ROC controllers?

By iko

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fast-power-filter-supplies_(resized).jpg
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-08_at_10.07.00_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-08_at_10.06.34_PM_(resized).png
    project-thunderdome-cc_(resized).jpg
    debounceswitcho_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160406_103114_edit_(resized).jpg
    WP_20160325_23_39_23_Pro_(resized).jpg
    science-dog1_(resized).jpg
    337fdc973ee7960404af000ced85f3be70aa2258165264b03643349aa86f9593_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider linolium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 8 years ago

It doesn't matter which hardware you use. If you design and program based on hardware selection then you're doing it wrong.

Design and write your game to interact with a generic hardware interface class, and create a NullDevice child class uses that interface as its parent and stubs out all necessary functions with debug code. Write your entire game using this on your PC/Mac. Deal with hardware later.

When the time comes to actually build and test with real hardware, simply create a new child class using the interface you previously defined that correctly communicates with the board set you want to use. Replace the NullDevice class' instance you've been passing around with the real hardware class' instance.

Vuala game complete, debugging easy.

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

My problem with this whole discussion is someone looking to possibly get into making a custom pinball in the future. But have no real idea where to start. I have coded throughout my life, and once started I can figure stuff out, but the intial setup is usually the tricky part. I have also done sodering and used small Microcontrollers, so that side (again once started) doesn't seem daunting. It's just the vastness of choice that it appears when just starting out that is really stopping me.
    I don't want to jump all the way in without some expirence, so I have the idea of getting one of the Sentinal/Wonder Wizard home pinballs (that are everywhere on craigslist) and create a custom ruleset.
    Is there someplace to actually read what suggested hardware/software would be for certain requirements?
    For example it looks like (ignoring how they actually do it) that there would be
    17 Inputs
    10 Outputs
    Custom Audio Out
    Custom Screen of some kind, with animations

A good baseline start is to assume:

32 direct input switches
    64 input switches via an 8x8 matrix
    at least 8 if not 32 high/mid power outputs
    64 lamps via 8x8 lamp matrix controller OR some form of LED driving board
    Audio comes from the PC and gets fed into some amp
    Screen comes from whatever you want- DMD, VGA, DVI, HDMI... your choice

Design your game on paper first to get an idea of what you need

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

I agree that I want as much on paper first, but just in your response
    "64 input switches via an 8x8 matrix" I don't know what that is or where to find out more about it.
    But I can tell, my questions are better off in my own thread, to not derail this one.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

Understanding switch matrices and lamp matrices are vital in pin design. They can go beyond just switches and lamps to more complex things such as enhanced toy control, dmds, and alpha numeric displays.

Besides- do you really want to piss away money on 64 wires for a switch bus and lamp bus (128 total!) when you only need 16 wires for each (32 total)? I sure don't... I'd much rather buy that extra drop target assembly instead

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I tend to design more the way you do, physically. Working with others I have been trying to get more into Fusion360 and other software tools. I wanted to make sure that the hardware played nice with all design approaches.
    For example, I can get my game wired up and I don't even need to run MPF to get flippers flipping. I have a snippet that I copy/paste of FAST Pin Protocol commands to make it easy. Here are the two lines I enter into my terminal connection with the FAST NET processor to make a flipper flip:
    DN:00,01,00,10,20,FF,00,00,50
    DN:01,01,00,18,20,FF,FF,00,00
    The first line says: Driver 00 (Main Coil) should be triggered when switch 00 is pressed.
    The second line says: Driver 01 (Hold Coil) should be latched when switch 00 is pressed.
    Now if I press switch 00 the flipper flips! I keep a raspberry pi laptop in the garage so i dont need to get sawdust in my Macbook Pro. But that's all that is needed to start my physical game testing.
    Other parameters are for coil pulse times, cool down times, as well as empty params not used by these modes. All this is in the FAST Pin Protocol and will be available on our website.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Actually I tend to do dozens of drawings on paper and some in cad before ever cutting a piece of wood. Pinside and Youtube never sees that part of my design phase. There's a little bit of it on my www.linscustompins.com web page, though it is a bit abridged.

King of the Arcade is different, Mike Testa is spearheading that table's design with me there as suggestion, philosophy, and build support. That game is purely a spit-ball bolt-on-the-table design. I'm in the process of inputing everything into cad now... and it is VERY tedious to measure and rebuild that into a cohesive schematic. I don't think I'll really ever design like this again.

I also never program my games, do a build, test, make changes, do a build, test, etc. I always 100% write game rules, logic, and visuals on my PC in my office. Every once in a while I make a new release build to test on real hardware. For example- Tail of the Dragon was written in 1 weekend while sitting on my couch. it wasn't until like 2 weeks later I tested it on the actual table. I have my custom LinPingine engine built and ready to go, I know what my hardware IDs are and what wire to hook up to what pin so everything works.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

We also have a Switch Matrix daughter board coming "soon" that allows you to add a switch matrix in a FAST system using a Nano or Core controller. So you could at it to a FAST I/O 1616 and have 64 Matrix Switches, 16 Direct Switches and 16 Drivers.

I eagerly await this!

1 week later
    #153 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Maybe someday it will even reach the level where I can design and build one!

Quoted from fastpinball:

You just need to start!

Been there, rather buy a product myself
    http://www.linscustompins.com/?page_id=239
    (also made a lamp matrix and switch matrix back then, though don't have pics of them up)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider linolium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-or-p-roc-controllers?tu=linolium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.