(Topic ID: 156038)

FAST or P-ROC controllers?

By iko

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fast-power-filter-supplies_(resized).jpg
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-08_at_10.07.00_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-08_at_10.06.34_PM_(resized).png
    project-thunderdome-cc_(resized).jpg
    debounceswitcho_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160406_103114_edit_(resized).jpg
    WP_20160325_23_39_23_Pro_(resized).jpg
    science-dog1_(resized).jpg
    337fdc973ee7960404af000ced85f3be70aa2258165264b03643349aa86f9593_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mocean.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 8 years ago

Hi Fred,

I was going to sit this one out, but if you're a developer too, I have to toss my opinion into the mix. My advice is to go with the system that limits you the least.

You should go with PyProcGame (or one of its variants), and for that you want the P-ROC.

- there are several 99% done games running on the P-ROC and P3-ROC. At Expo you could find: WooLY, BoP2.0, Buffy, Kuglers, and Deadpin. ES aftershock was at the Pinball Life open house. There's also CCC and the Matrix off the top of my head.

These are complete, complex games. They are mostly written in Python on some variant of PyProcGame. If you placed them next to commercial pins they would not seem out of place. In fact, you can buy BoP2.0 now and TBL is coming imminently (both P-ROC based). Many of these projects are open source so there's lots to go off of.

- I've seen only one complete game on Fast/MPF and it wasn't that deep. As far as I know, Fast is still MPF only. Personally, I can read Python easily but I can't read MPF yaml without a dictionary --I sure wouldn't be able to write it without one.

- P-ROC runs both pyprocgame and MPF. It also runs C++ games written for Libpinproc directly, fancy HD/LCD games via PyProcGameHD, and SkeletonGame tries to help you write less code to get your game done in PyProcGame, but it's still code. check out http://pinballprogramming.com/

Before folks bash me for being totally P-ROC biased (obviously, or I wouldn't have written PyProcGameHD or SkeletonGame):

- I look forward to seeing MPF based games being completed. I wouldn't want to use that framework but I greaty respect the motivation for it and its authors.

- I honestly enjoyed playing Nightmare at expo, but I don't think Mark would say it was close to done at that time.

In closing, if you can find something that makes it easier to build, code, price, or wire up a FAST based build over a P-ROC based one, then I would understand choosing to go that route instead, but all things being Mosty equal, P-ROC will limit your software options far less and support Stern, WPC and WPC95 all from the same board, too.

Whatever you choose, prepare yourself for a long, fun, and educational journey

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Hey MOcean, is there any documentation to get PyProcGameHD or SkeletonGame running on a linux system?

http://pinballprogramming.com/step-1-alternative-manual-installation-osxlinux/

PM incoming.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I like the Rgb support so I'll try and hold out --

Several folks have serial (ws2811) RGBs running with a P-ROC/P3-ROC boardset (we use the Teensy ($20) on Buffy; WooLY and F-14 Second Sortie use Arduino --it's all essentially the same open source code). To really confuse matters, some folks are even using FAST's individual ws2812 LEDs, driven by these solutions, connected to their P-ROCs.

There's also the non-serial RGB LED solution with Gerry's PD-LED boards, which pretty much everyone else on the P-ROC boards use.

Just want to clarify since this /is/ a "comparison" thread.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Do either of these solutions offer a C library? Seems like there's ton of python libraries and at least one C++, but I would be way more comfortable in straight C.

I misspoke. Libpinproc is C-based not C++. I believe the archer pin is using it exclusively and not using a Python layer on top of it.

https://github.com/preble/libpinproc

#49 8 years ago

Man, these are some long replies!

To summarize:

Great new developments on MPF and solid established functionality in PyProcGame and its ilk. A great time to be building and programming pinball.

* FAST runs MPF only.
    * P-ROC can run MPF -and- libpinproc -and- PyProcGame.

I think my first post in this thread stands, as it still sounds like P-ROC is the clear winner from a software developer-options perspective.

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Gerry, just typing something in a long pinside post doesn't wipe the past and make what you say true. If you aren't proud of the experiences that some people have had, own it and make steps to keep it from happening with others.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

This might be the least classy post I've seen on pinside in a long while.

If you're going to attack someone's character at least have the decency to substantiate it with evidence.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I honestly hate that this is how all these threads turn out. I feel like I have to hide things, because Gerry will throw Rosh at me to ride my nuts some more. Shit is getting old.

Stay classy.

#127 8 years ago

Cool videos!! Would you be open to me adding them to PyProcGameHD/SkeletonGame when they are done? --except the last one in the sequence, of course

#154 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's not 100% accurate.
    Here is a great article from Maxim Semiconductor, written by a friend of mine.
    https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/287

That is a great reference! For the more EE-squimish, here is something more simplified, based on what I teach my class on a first pass introduction to the subject:

Take away the control system, all the fancy stuff and think about a single leaf switch mounted to a pinball machine and an Arduino connected to the switch. I'm using the Arduino for simplicity's sake. It runs a single program, running a single loop, that is constantly checking to see if that switch is open or closed. What we care about in pinball is when a switch transitions from open to closed and back to open again.

We assume that switches attached to targets close because the ball strikes them, but that's not always the case. Pinball machines get bumped and jostled and even adjacent coils firing can momentarily close those switches just from vibrations. Since those vibrations can close switches when the ball isn't there, we don't want is to treat EVERY closure as a result of the ball hitting it... We need to throw away these spurious closures and, in essence, this is what debouncing is.

One approach to solve this problem, is to scan the switch less frequently. Suppose I slow this down so I only read the switch every 10ms. If I see a closure twice in a row, then I know that the switch was closed for 10ms, so something_ is clearly pressing that switch down. Consider the following, where I check the switch every 10ms (at exactly times 0, 10, 20, 30 below) where '+' is closed and '0' is open

time = 0------10-----20-----30----40
    state = ++++++++00000000000000

Using the this tactic of ensuring that two consecutive reads report closed (the "debounce" part is to throwing away a closure that doesn't read as closed twice in a row), this works in the example above, because the switch was closed at the read that occurred at time 0, and again at time 10 (from my high quality ASCII art it appears that the switch was closed for about 14ms).

10ms is a very long time to wait between scans, and as a result we could wind up missing perfectly good closures, even those that are 10ms long! Consider the following:

time = 0------10-----20-----30----40
    state = 00+++++++0000000000000

The closure starts at time 4ms, but we didn't see it at time zero. We see it for the first time at time 10, but it's done by 18ms (before 20ms) so we don't see it on the next scan!

So, even if I want to say it needs to be closed for 10ms, those scans are too infrequent/slow. We missed a 10ms closure! If we scanned every 5ms, we would have seen it at time 5ms and again at 10ms, and again at time 15ms, so our rule would have to be that we want to see the switch as closed three times. Even 5ms will break down if we come up with some worst-case examples. So it would be better for me to physically scan every 2ms (or faster for that matter) and use software based logic to determine how many consecutive closures would be from a ball-strike instead of a random vibration.

It's slightly more complicated than this simplistic explanation, but not very. Vibrations can also open a legitimate closure early, which is covered in the excellent article wolfmarsh posted.

If we look at the history, debounce values have evolved based on hardware capabilities, increased ball speed, and another of other factors. It needs to be data-driven, and carefully determined. If the hardware scans as quickly as possible, you can refine what you do with consecutive values the values in software. If you are scanning too slowly in the hardware, you might not see enough of the truth to make a good guess.

I don't explain any of this when I teach my P-ROC/PyProcGame unit. I do it in the unit before, when we wire up an Arduino to a pinball switch matrix --on the P-ROC is just works

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mocean.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-or-p-roc-controllers?tu=Mocean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.