QDAddReplay (resized).JPG
QDArelay (resized).JPG
SO76 Head (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Untitled-2 (resized).jpg
Untitled-3 (resized).jpg
Untitled-1 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Bought a Gottlieb 1975 Fast draw , and noticed that the "Special when lit" lamp stays off when it should light up. The lamp and socket check out OK.
It should light up when either of the 5 bank drop targets is completed and all the rollovers "A + B + C " are completed.
I am new in this , but I managed to find the schematics of the game.
I understand that for the "Special" to light , except the 5 drop targets to drop , a switch on relay "A" must close , additionally to a switch? ( Sequence bank? ) on Relay 4B. The problem is ... I dont know where the Relay A is located physically and what a "Sequence" bank looks like or where to find it ! The colors on the cables are really faint , so I intend to trace the cable from the "special" lamp connections to the switch with a continuity meter and a try and clean and adjust them.
Is there an easier way ?

Charles

Untitled-1 (resized).jpgUntitled-1 (resized).jpg

Untitled-3 (resized).jpgUntitled-3 (resized).jpg

Untitled-2 (resized).jpgUntitled-2 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

the "Special when lit" lamp stays off when it should light up. The lamp and socket check out OK.
It should light up when either of the 5 bank drop targets is completed and all the rollovers "A + B + C " are completed.

AND the Alternating relay (A) is in the correct position.

Quoted from phototamer:

I dont know where the Relay A is located physically and what a "Sequence" bank looks like or where to find it

Where have you looked for Relay A?

The Sequence bank looks like this only 1 relay smaller. It's probably on the lower panel below the playfield.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#reset

#3 6 years ago

Not entirely sure if this is relative.

The "Replay Counter" on Fast Draw is that crescent style, it has a maximum of 9 Credits. If your Credit Counter is at maximum, a Gottlieb EM game will not reward any further credits/replays.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

I dont know where the Relay A is located physically and what a "Sequence" bank looks like or where to find it !
Is there an easier way ?
Charles

If you can figure out from the schematic what should make the A/Alternating Relay fire, you can do whatever is necessary on the playfield and listen closely for the relay changing position. You should be able to experiment with the playfield up (and pulled forward a bit so it can lean back against the head) so you can zero in on the relay(s) making noise as you hit that target or switch or whatever that should activate it.

The sequence bank is a set of trip relays that trip and hold their positions once they activate, just like a circuit breaker does. They're usually mounted together in a frame so they can all be mechanically reset together with a big honkin' solenoid or two.

Note that the "4B/A-B-C Sequence Completed Relay" shown in your scan above also says "No Coil". That means that the switch you're looking for isn't closed by one of the trip relays, but instead by a mechanical link or bar between the A, B and C rollover trip relays. The link only moves and closes the switch once all three relays (A, B and C) trip. It's a mechanical shortcut used instead of having a switch on each of the A, B and C relays. It's essentially a mechanical 3-input AND logic gate.

/Mark

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Not entirely sure if this is relative.
The "Replay Counter" on Fast Draw is that crescent style, it has a maximum of 9 Credits. If your Credit Counter is at maximum, a Gottlieb EM game will not reward any further credits/replays.

The credit wheel is at zero , and the problem is that the " special when lit " light will not turn on to give an extra game.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

If you can figure out from the schematic what should make the A/Alternating Relay fire, you can do whatever is necessary on the playfield and listen closely for the relay changing position. You should be able to experiment with the playfield up (and pulled forward a bit so it can lean back against the head) so you can zero in on the relay(s) making noise as you hit that target or switch or whatever that should activate it.
The sequence bank is a set of trip relays that trip and hold their positions once they activate, just like a circuit breaker does. They're usually mounted together in a frame so they can all be mechanically reset together with a big honkin' solenoid or two.
Note that the "4B/A-B-C Sequence Completed Relay" shown in your scan above also says "No Coil". That means that the switch you're looking for isn't closed by one of the trip relays, but instead by a mechanical link or bar between the A, B and C rollover trip relays. The link only moves and closes the switch once all three relays (A, B and C) trip. It's a mechanical shortcut used instead of having a switch on each of the A, B and C relays. It's essentially a mechanical 3-input AND logic gate.
/Mark

I was wondering what the " no coil " meant thank you for clarifying this one Mark !
Will try and listen for anything closing , or moving when manual completing the sequence
And hopefully will resolve this one.
I could clean and adjust every single switch in the game but that would be a huge task .

Charles

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

AND the Alternating relay (A) is in the correct position.

The Sequence bank looks like this only 1 relay smaller. It's probably on the lower panel below the playfield.

The sequence bank use in EM games indicated by your link changed when Fast draw came out in 1975 and gottlieb used the Ax and Bx reset relays after that. And there is no sequence bank like that one in Fast draw.

so the A relay can be the Ax relay ?

Charles

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

The sequence bank use in EM games indicated by your link changed when Fast draw came out in 1975 and gottlieb used the Ax and Bx reset relays after that. And there is no sequence bank like that one in Fast draw.
so the A relay can be the Ax relay ?

I don't have access to a Fast Draw, but a couple of photos I found lead me to believe that the sequence bank (or trip relay bank) is hanging across the back of the playfield. Also, I think the "No Coil" trick described earlier only works on a bank of trip relays.

The Ax and Bx relays are interlock relays. Interlock relays use two coils to remember the last position that was set by the game. They can hold the last value indefinitely without consuming power. (Trip relays can do that too, but they're generally all reset together while interlock relays can be set and reset individually.) Near the bottom of the Relay list above you'll see the AX and AXR coils which are both part of the AX interlock relay that controls the game reset. The A/Alternating relay at the top of the list is what you're looking for. I'd guess it's either hanging from the playfield, or in one of the two rows of relays in the bottom of the cabinet.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

a couple of photos I found lead me to believe that the sequence bank (or trip relay bank) is hanging across the back of the playfield

Good call. There it is at the bottom of the picture of Quick Draw.
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1893&picno=25928

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

I could clean and adjust every single switch in the game but that would be a huge task .

I wouldn't adjust all the switches but your time might be well spent by tightening all the switch stack screws, and passing a file, flexstone or even a dollar bill between the contacts of as many switches as you can reach. Manually actuating the relay ladders or turning the score motor (with the power off) is also a quick way to see that the switches are opening and closing as they should. It might take 30-60 minutes to go through everything but if it eliminates one problem or even a potential problem that you didn't even know you had it would be worth it, especially if the game has been sitting for an extended time.

Gottlieb relays that are mounted on the metal rails are only held in place with a removable pin giving you better access. Pull the pin, remove the relay, tighten screws, clean contacts, visually inspect, then put it back and replace the pin.

Sometimes fixing one problem at a time on a game with an unknown history is a little like playing Whack-A-Mole.

#11 6 years ago

When working o EM's I try and focus on what contacts need attention. If you don't know what you're doing and adjust every contact in the game I guarantee you'll end up with more problems.

The sequence bank is mounted on playfield underneath the top rollovers.

Here's what I would do using known good lamp bulbs

Trip the A, B C rollovers and determine if 4B trips on the sequence bank. Knock down all the targets and then manually operate the A relay (this may be mounted in the playfield adjacent to the sequence bank.) Does the Special lamp light? If yes, them you need to determine why A is not being operated (probably the F relay 00-90 unit needs cleaning). If the lamp doesn't light when you manually operate A then you need to check the 4B, A and drop target switches in the previously posted schematic.

FYI Here's what operates A (taken from Quick Draw schematic but will be the same as Fast Draw):

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from woz:

When working o EM's I try and focus on what contacts need attention. If you don't know what you're doing and adjust every contact in the game I guarantee you'll end up with more problems.

woz is right, and I upvoted your post. That includes not tightening switch stack screws on relays that are working, because tightening those screws can change contact adjustment.

#13 6 years ago

Thank you all for pointing me to the correct direction ! I was looking to find the A and 4B relays on the bottom of the cabinet but they are on sequence bank hanging from the bottom of the playfield under the A-B-C rollovers as Mark mentioned This is true for 4B but not for A relay.
-

Quoted from HowardR:

There is indeed a sequence bank but is near the top , on the underside of the playfield under the A-B-C roll overs.
I was looking inside the cabinet instead where all the relays are ( or so I thought) . HowardR was right and the second link he supplied opened my eyes !!

On the Sequence bank under the top A-B-C rollovers there are ...
1B = A Rollover relay
2B = B Rollover relay
3B = C Rollover relay
4B = A-B-C Sequence completed relay
5B = Targets completed relay
LB = Extra bonus relay

Quoted from MarkG:

The A/Alternating relay at the top of the list is what you're looking for. I'd guess it's either hanging from the playfield, or in one of the two rows of relays in the bottom of the cabinet.

Will have to locate the A/Alternating relay as per Marks advice hopefully tomorrow evening that I have some time off , and I hope that I will nail it

Quoted from woz:

Trip the A, B C rollovers and determine if 4B trips on the sequence bank. Knock down all the targets and then manually operate the A relay (this may be mounted in the playfield adjacent to the sequence bank.) Does the Special lamp light? If yes, them you need to determine why A is not being operated (probably the F relay 00-90 unit needs cleaning).

F Relay .. another relay I will have to hunt down Thank you for the detailed instructions woz .. will get to it as soon I have the time .

Charles

#14 6 years ago

F is not really a relay but rather a mini stepper unit. It is essentially the "Match" or 00-90 unit in the head. It has a relay coil in the middle with a small armature and ratchet cam sandwiched between two small wiper PCBs. They are notorious for sticking or not moving at all. Just search Gottlieb AS relay and you will find lots of info and tears about them.

It is also possible that the unit is completely missing from your game. The entire assembly is usually wired by using one or two Jones plugs so they can be easily removed and serviced on the bench. This means that sometimes, the operators pulled a working one from a warehouse game and never put the bad one back in.

#15 6 years ago

Here is the F relay outlined in the head of a Spirit of '76 (similar age and set up).

SO76 Head (resized).jpgSO76 Head (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

F is not really a relay but rather a mini stepper unit. It is essentially the "Match" or 00-90 unit in the head. It has a relay coil in the middle with a small armature and ratchet cam sandwiched between two small wiper PCBs. They are notorious for sticking or not moving at all. Just search Gottlieb AS relay and you will find lots of info and tears about them.
It is also possible that the unit is completely missing from your game. The entire assembly is usually wired by using one or two Jones plugs so they can be easily removed and serviced on the bench. This means that sometimes, the operators pulled a working one from a warehouse game and never put the bad one back in.

Aha .. Thank you for pointing that out ... I already cleaned and adjusted ( very carefully) that stepper unit following Clays suggestions in pinrepair.com . I don't really understand though how this unit has to do with the "Special when lit" lamp lighting up .

#17 6 years ago

In the center, you will see at least one leaf switch set that rides on the center cam. This switch should open and close ever other step. It is the switch on the print shown as F (1). So, with every other advance, it will energize or de-energize the A relay which must be energized in order to allow the special lamps to light. And, just so you know, only the special on the side where all 5 targets are down will light (not both). So, you can never have both specials lit since if you get both banks down, they come back up for the 5000 point horseshoes.

#18 6 years ago

You don't really need to be concerned with F yet.

Do what I suggest in this post and report back.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-draw-special-will-not-light#post-4024490

Many, many years ago when I started working for the telephone company (when the central office/exchange was EM with thousands of relays) a wise old tech told me to always work back from the fault. I always try and aplpy this when troubleshooting EM pins as well. So in this case....

Problem: The Special Lamp doesn't work

1. Check lamp is known working (remember working backwards from the problem). We can assume because other lights work, the power/fuse is good.

2. What switches need to operate in order for the lamp to turn on?

- All drops in one bank must be down
- "A" relay switch must be closed (I'm pretty sure Relay A will be mounted on the playfield next to the sequence bank) .
- 4B sequence switch must be closed

So, check these conditions are met and whether the lamp lights. Relay A can be manually operated you don't need to worry how it is activated electrically....yet! If you start delving into how A operates then you can quickly get sidetracked.

3. This will give you two outcomes:

a) Special Lamp lights...yay! Electrically the lamp circuit is good, now you need to figure out what electrically operates A (the dread AS stepper Relay F!).

b) Lamp still doesn't light even after relay A is manually operated, 4B is tripped and the all targets in a bank are down. Now you have isolated the problem to the switches directly in the lamp circuit.

...and on, and on, until you find the fault

If you jump ahead of the process you can miss the easy faults and start fixing stuff that doesn't need to be fixed.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from woz:

You don't really need to be concerned with F yet.
Do what I suggest in this post and report back.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-draw-special-will-not-light#post-4024490
Many, many years ago when I started working for the telephone company (when the central office/exchange was EM with thousands of relays) a wise old tech told me to always work back from the fault. I always try and aplpy this when troubleshooting EM pins as well. So in this case....
Problem: The Special Lamp doesn't work
1. Check lamp is known working (remember working backwards from the problem). We can assume because other lights work, the power/fuse is good.
2. What switches need to operate in order for the lamp to turn on?
- All drops in one bank must be down
- "A" relay switch must be closed (I'm pretty sure Relay A will be mounted on the playfield next to the sequence bank) .
- 4B sequence switch must be closed
So, check these conditions are met and whether the lamp lights. Relay A can be manually operated you don't need to worry how it is activated electrically....yet! If you start delving into how A operates then you can quickly get sidetracked.
3. This will give you two outcomes:
a) Special Lamp lights...yay! Electrically the lamp circuit is good, now you need to figure out what electrically operates A (the dread AS stepper Relay F!).
b) Lamp still doesn't light even after relay A is manually operated, 4B is tripped and the all targets in a bank are down. Now you have isolated the problem to the switches directly in the lamp circuit.
...and on, and on, until you find the fault
If you jump ahead of the process you can miss the easy faults and start fixing stuff that doesn't need to be fixed.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this ! A kind of flowchart that will help a great deal in eventually resolving the problem ! I am new to this , and this is my second Pinball. The first one ... A system 80 Gottlieb Robo-War I was given as a gift , dead ... in terrible condition with fried PCB's and rusty connections was brought into perfect working order and it was a great experience for me - I even got myself a used Oscilloscope , and learned how to use it for resolving matters . I see the EM problems as a beautiful mechanical puzzle that is as exhilarating as playing the game
Will take it step by step and will come back with the results.

Charles

#20 6 years ago

Keep in mind, one of your most valuable tools in trouble shooting an EM besides the schematic, is an alligator clip jumper (or two)!

This allows you to bypass one or even multiple items in the circuit to find where things go bad.

Like jumping over all 5 drop target switches at once.

#21 6 years ago

Problem solved !! ... A big big thanks to all of you that took the time to respond to this !
Cleaned and adjusted the "A" relay that was beside the sequence bank .
I removed the sequence bank with the relays mentioned above ...
1B = A Rollover relay
2B = B Rollover relay
3B = C Rollover relay
4B = A-B-C Sequence completed relay
5B = Targets completed relay

Checked and cleaned all of them and found that the 4B needed some adjustment (* one of the switches was not making good contact) . I also checked the F relay (AS relay stepper ) in the backbox again and made sure it was stepping freely and making contact ( Had to shorten its spring to do that)

All is fine now )

3 months later
#22 6 years ago

Reviving this thread since another Pinsider PM'd me for assistance:

I have this same problem with Fast Draw Special lights not turning on - Checked, cleaned, adjusted all switched involved, Relay A does operate,
when Target banks are down, Relay A picks up but no Special light, Bulbs, sockets, wiring are good.

He didn't state if the problem was just that the special lights weren't lighting, or if the holes weren't scoring replays or both. So, posting all three paths to pursue. While he asked about a Fast Draw, I only have access to a Quick Draw schematic. Normally, game play logic not related to players is the same from 2 to 4 player machines. I still included the path for energizing the A relay in case others find this post in the future.

This thread has already discussed what it takes to get the special feature "Lit" via the ABC roll over trip relays listed above along with the 4B sequence complete relay. But there are two possible functions that may be in play. The actual Special Lights at the left and right holes. AND the giving of a replay when the hole "should" be lit (ABC complete, Drop Targets all down on that side). In other words, if the conditions are right (4B tripped, A relay energized, All targets down on side in question), the game could award a replay even if the special light is not actually lit.

Lights are controlled though Relay A but also through the combined connection of the five Normally open switches that close when the targets are down on one side. For testing, both should be done by jumpering across thereby bypassing ALL of the switches in question.

Relay A is energized via both a make break switch on 1B (A Roll Over Relay) as well as the contact on the Match Unit stepper Relay F. If A never energizes, the F AS stepper may be stuck. Activate with finger to hear if A turns on and off as armature moves. Also, stuck on the same match number game after game indicates its not moving which could be the reason for A not to turn on.

Awarding a replay requires a number of closures to take place including two contacts on the score motor, as well as the Sequence complete switches (this is the feeler bar that senses all 5 targets are down on one side. Not the same 5 switches that are used to light the special light. And, only one side can be lit at a time since completing both banks resets the targets leaving the horse shoes standing). G, A, 4B as well as a set of contacts that are closed when the ball drops in the actual hole.

To Test Light circuit, Use a jumper and jumper from the points shown in red to try to light the left hole Special Lamp.

QDArelay (resized).JPGQDArelay (resized).JPG

QDAddReplay (resized).JPGQDAddReplay (resized).JPG

QDSLight (resized).JPGQDSLight (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-draw-special-will-not-light and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.