• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sea_Wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Not sure what happened but my newest addition has two issues it didn’t have before I brought it home.

I played 5 games on it before loading it in my truck and it had no issues with the score reels resetting or the player unit advancing. Now it does.

Everything else is working fine but when you hit the start button, the game goes into ball 1 like it should, the drop targets reset but the score reels don’t move at all to reset. You can play Ball 1 and it plays perfect (reminder that it scores fine but the score is added to the old score on Player 1 reels because it never reset to zero.) bonus is collected and it ejects to the shooter Lane like it should but it stays on Ball 1. The player unit doesn’t move to ball 2. In fact, the Player Unit doesn’t energize or move at all. It does however move freely when advancing it manually.

Those are the issues. I’ll be home to work on it in a few hours but was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems. Thanks in advance.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Give your Jones plugs a good check.

Thanks. I’ll definitely double check them and clean. The weird thing is that it reset fine the first game I played at home but during my first game I noticed a bunch of the chimes weren’t going off and realized that one of the Jones plugs to the backbox was dangling down under the playfield.

Dummy me was in a hurry to play my new toy.

#4 4 years ago

Cleaned and reseated the Jones Plugs but still no reset of score reels or Player Unit advancing. I’m just wondering if a solder tab got knocked loose.

Otherwise the game play is flawless. Or as is usually the problem, a switch, AX, Z1, Player Unit?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Does the Player unit solenoid try to move when you start a new game?

It does not at all and It looks like the wires to the coil are soldered on good. Thanks for responding.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

There are other possibilities but this motor switch is the most likely culprit.
For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening
[quoted image]

Thanks Howard. I’ll carefully use the flexstone on those contact points and see if they are positioned correctly and closing as they should.

#9 4 years ago

No luck on the score reels resetting or the player unit activating. Still dead.

I cleaned and reset all the male and female Jones plugs as Currieddog suggested and careful cleaned all the score motor switches, with special attention to score motor 1a as HowardR suggested. Still the same.

I’m wondering if I didn’t mess something up somewhere because as I said, it reset fine the first 2 games I played after setting it up and the player unit worked like it supposed to at first. The only thing I did after those first two games was plug in a Jones Plug to the backbox that I forgot to hook up at first.

FWIW, the Ax Relay latches and the start Relay activates and the score motor rotated and stops like it should.

Game plays great but still the two issues remain.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the Player Unit solenoid doesn't try to move when you start a new game, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features[quoted image]

Thanks Howard. I’m on it soon.

#12 4 years ago

As far as the Player Unit getting energized and the score reels resetting, as HowardR suggested it had something to do with the Score Motor 1a switches. I forgot rule #1 about tightening switch stacks before any cleaning or adjusting. They were not tight on 1a or the AX relay.

Now it resets the score reels (thank you) and goes to ball 1, player 1 but I’ve got a dead playfield. Lights up but acts like it’s stuck in tilt (without the tilt light on). Getting ready to inspect some cabinet relays involved with game start.

I feel good just getting the Player Unit to energize and reset the score reels. Thanks for the help.

#15 4 years ago

Well guys, I can finally mark this thread resolved. It turned out that I gleaned some valuable knowledge from both you guys on this thread which led to getting the machine running like it should.

HowardR led me to get the Player Unit rotating like it should by adjusting and cleaning Score motor 1a switches and then pointing me to the circuit which was responsible for the dead playfield (see above). And in an indirect way Currieddog kept me focusing on the AX relay. After reading other threads about similar issues, I kept seeing where he stressed how the AX relay and it’s sensitive switches can cause so many different problems. So true.

Turned out the make/break switch on the AX relay with the Black-White wire was not making good contact when tripped. I tightened the switch stacks (which were loose) and cleaned and adjusted the m/b and got the playfield functioning but of course I over adjusted it at first and created other temporary issues. Once I got that switch adjusted properly, the game kicks butt.

Thanks again guys! And especially to HowardR for offering to help via phone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sea_Wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-draw-reset-amp-player-unit-issue?tu=Sea_Wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.