Fast Draw kickout hole (resized).JPG
2022-03-0221.49.521532835058150962233.jpg
game room guys flex stone (resized).png
Fast Draw G relay (resized).JPG
Fast Draw kickout hole (resized).JPG
2022-02-2714.30.493724129483437326491.jpg
IMG_20220227_104432__01.jpg
IMG_20220227_100031__01.jpg
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

I bought my first pin, a Gottlieb Fast Draw. Got some sticky poppers and drop targets lubed up. Has a known issue with multiplayer games not resetting ball well. Sometimes you have to force ball over manually and sometimes a player will get multiple balls before it switch to the next player. I was playing one player though almost flawlessly for a while only issue there was that every so often I'd have to force ball over manually. My last round I was able to play, I had no issues on ball 1 then when switching to ball 2 I had to force ball over manually but it didn't trigger a ball 2 on back box and none of the play field reset. I turned the unit off and back on. Now I have a lot back box with game over and tilt shown. Play field has nothing no lights. No motors are running at all. I also noticed a humming noise coming from the region of AX and BX region. I couldn't quite narrow it down, it is no longer making that noise.

I just really want to play again please help.

Note, I did locate all tilt switches and filed contacts as well as checked gaps. All seem to be okay.

#2 2 years ago

First off, if you are saying you lubed the sticky pop bumpers and drop targets, undo that *immediately*. The solenoids and mechanisms do not require lube. Clean them and maybe replace the plastic coil sleeves, but do-not-use-lubricant.

#3 2 years ago

I found these little cups that a long pin was not freely moving around in because they were gunked up. So I only put a couple drops on the tip of my finger and wiped the cups out and they work very well now. For the drop targets I did put a drop or two on Teflon based lubricant on each target and they were operating smooth now as well. I didn't go crazy or nothing. But I will take your word for it for the future. I played for hours afterwards with only issue being ball return.

#4 2 years ago

I found this switch was closed when I opened it the game over light went away. Now the back box says ball 4 with tilt light still on. Nothing is operating still.

IMG_20220227_100031__01.jpgIMG_20220227_100031__01.jpg
#5 2 years ago

That is a tilt switch at the bottom of the playfield.

When a tilt switch is activated, it will stop the game from playing and the TILT light comes on. When the ball drains it should go away and advance to the next ball. If the ball is in the outhole at the bottom of the game and the TILT light is still on, look to see if that switch is still activated or look for another activated tilt switch such as the tilt bob on the lower left of the cabinet. For example, the tilt bob should not be touching the ring.

Quick clarification: That particular switch when opened (the switch leafs normally should be touching) will end the entire game if they separate and you will see "GAME OVER" on the backglass and need to start a new game.

#6 2 years ago

I found one on the backside of the door. Is it supposed to be like this?

IMG_20220227_104432__01.jpgIMG_20220227_104432__01.jpg
#7 2 years ago

The switch at the bottom when they touch it says game over but when separated game over goes away tilt staying lit both open and closed. so your saying I should have that tilt switch closed?

#8 2 years ago

Yes, the one on the coin door should be closed (contacts touching).

Yes, the one on the lower playfield should also be closed. Once it is activated (the contacts separate) it will register GAME OVER and TILT on the backbox. As you move those switch leafs on that lower tilt switch (separating the contacts), the GAME OVER light will disappear but the TILT light will stay on.

Place the ball in the outhole and start a new game. (Of course make sure you have credits). If that does not clear everything then there is another issue.

You mentioned earlier that you located tilt switches, filed contacts and checked gaps. Keep in mind when switches are being cleaned it is important that their orientation remain the same. If they are supposed to be normally closed, make sure they do not become normally open and vice versa.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from KJR33:

The switch at the bottom when they touch it says game over but when separated game over goes away tilt staying lit both open and closed. so your saying I should have that tilt switch closed?

that one is the "bounce switch" on the schematic ... if it's open, a bunch of stuff won't work.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

that one is the "bounce switch" on the schematic ... if it's open, a bunch of stuff won't work.

Right.

I went back and read what the OP posted. The OP said in the photo it "was closed" and when *it was opened* the GAME OVER light went away. I now wonder if that meant the switch was now permanently open. That could explain the problem.

To the OP: that particular switch should be closed with the contacts touching at all times. When they separate, even for a brief moment, the TILT and GAME OVER lights activate. The switch should resume its position of being CLOSED (contacts touching). Now if the contacts are opened again, as I posted, above, the GAME OVER light goes away but the TILT light stays on.

If those contacts on that particular switch are permanently open, as baldtwit correctly states, a bunch of stuff won't work.

#11 2 years ago

Alright, I have the bottom tilt bouncer switch closed. All other tilt switches look good. I do not have a ball in the rolling tilt switch on the side of the machine. Also I am pretty sure that the tilt bob never worked. I tried touching the bob to the ring once before and nothing happened back while the machine was operating. Could this be my problem?

#12 2 years ago

I do not know how... but I somehow got it running! I may need to check for some loose connections or something. Is AX and BX supposed to be sitting at an angle like the picture shows?

2022-02-2714.30.493724129483437326491.jpg2022-02-2714.30.493724129483437326491.jpg
#13 2 years ago

>>Is AX and BX supposed to be sitting at an angle like the picture shows?>>
Normal.

First game I ever fixed was a multi player Gtb like this, 40 years ago and I did *everything* wrong like lubing the solenoids and nylon parts that don't need lube. Fortunately I got is working great but I'd hate to be the guy who bought it from me when all that got dirty and gummy. XD

#14 2 years ago

Frenchmarky, has your Fast Draws bonus holes ever stopped working? They work but they don't light for bonus or give bonus points. What determines bonus for those holes to light up anyways? Isn't it just rolling over ABC? They were giving bonus points at one point but just stopped.

#15 2 years ago

Hole score is 1000 + 1000 for each letter of ABC completed. The holes themselves are always lit up and they should award the 1000s all the time. The hole relay will pull in and award the 1000s based on the ABC relays (on the relay bank under the playfield) and a separate score motor switch for each 1000. If you aren't getting ANY points at all even with ABC completed, might be an issue with a switch(es) in the hole relay that is dirty/overgapped.

#16 2 years ago

The scoring for the right and left holes involves some trip relays - 1B, 2B, 3B and 4B, and a switch on the G relay. In the snippet below, you can see how all those trip switches work with the score motor switches to determine how many pulses to the L relay (1000 pt relay) you get. If you aren't getting any scoring at all, I'd think it would be something common to all of the switches, which looks like the G relay switch. (The Motor 1A switch feeds other scoring features, so I'm going to assume it's working, since you don't mention other scoring problems.)

Fast Draw kickout hole (resized).JPGFast Draw kickout hole (resized).JPG

Does your G relay pull in when a ball falls into either the right or left hole? If so, you need to look at that particular switch on the G relay (MAR-OR and GR-WH-RED wires) to see if it's clean and closing. If the G relay isn't energizing, then you need to figure out why that is.

#18 2 years ago

If your G relay isn't energizing when a ball goes into the right or left hole, this is the circuit that should energize it. The lower part of the circuit with the G switch in series with the Motor 2B switch, is the hold circuit for the G relay.

Fast Draw G relay (resized).JPGFast Draw G relay (resized).JPG

#19 2 years ago

Sounded like G (hole relay) is working as he said the holes are 'working' but just not scoring.

#20 2 years ago

If his G relay is pulling in, then I'd suspect that G switch in the first snippet.

#21 2 years ago

My kick-outs fire. Just no score at all. I am also noticing some no score occasionally on my left and right pop bumpers. As well as, and on an even rarer occasion, a drop target might not register points. I really need to clean this whole dang thing up it seems like. I am having problems with player counts. Problems firing up a new game with scores going back to zeros. Problems with 1-4 player transitions. I have the machine set to 3 balls but sometimes I get 5. It's got issues for sure. Hey I am learning about EM's though and honestly I love digging in and problem solving. To me that is half the fun being an owner of my first pinball machine. Why do I find joy in it? HAHA. Question for you pros. If I were to go part by part and really clean it up, would you wait to play the machine until all parts are cleaned up or would you fire it up for a few rounds to see the progress being made? Being new to all of this I am curious what experienced folks like yourselves would do in my position. Thanks for all the input you guys have given me already I really do appreciate it. I am going to take a look at my G Relay when I get home to check for any dirt or over-gapping.

#22 2 years ago

Sorry I meant to say I'll be checking L-relay. Sounds like G-relay is working for me.

#23 2 years ago

I verify the stepper units can step/reset correctly, clean the contact plates on them if they look cruddy. If the plug pins have black crud on them, clean that off.

if you want to check anything else, you can do a quick snug-down check on the switch stack screws and manually operate the relays visually looking for switches that don't have good overtravel.

then turn it on and start dealing with issues.

I wouldn't run around cleaning all the switches ... isn't necessary and not much fun.

#24 2 years ago

Can I ask a noob question? Where is the L-Relay located. It's not located on the bottom line-up, right? I think that goes from AX to K.

#25 2 years ago

The 1000 Point relay (L) is in the back box next to the M and N relays

#26 2 years ago

Thanks Howard. I will look for it when I get home.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from KJR33:

Sorry I meant to say I'll be checking L-relay. Sounds like G-relay is working for me.

G relay is pulling in, but same advice as above, check/clean any switches in G relay that are normally open when the relay is not energized.

#28 2 years ago

I've cleaned up both L and G still nothing. Any other ideas on my kickouts?

#29 2 years ago

If it were L, wouldn't that mean that I wouldn't be able to score on the 2 drop targets that give 5,000? If so I can rule out L because I am getting those points.

#30 2 years ago

Did you check the Motor 2C switch that's in the snippet in post #16?

#31 2 years ago

I have not I will do that now

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

Did you check the Motor 2C switch that's in the snippet in post #16?

Yeah that would kill both the 'fixed' 1000 points as well as all of the ABC 1000s.

#33 2 years ago

Now I'm getting somewhere! I am getting some scores out of the kickouts. It's not correct amounts but it's a start. With no rollerovers I get 1000 points every 3rd kickout. Same with 1 rollover. 2 rollovers complete I get 2,000 every 3rd kickout. 3rd rollover I get all sorts of weird kickout scores 1, 2, and 3,000 points but at weird times with space in-between kickouts. So all in all I think I am making good progress. I really appreciate all the help. I will keep working on the motor 2C tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

#34 2 years ago

Is it *consistently* only every third time? I guess I could see 2C just barely closing, and given the motor has three scoring cycles per full revolution maybe only one cog is able to close it just enough to make contact. The tolerance of the three cogs' positions is never going to be exact.

#35 2 years ago

What "might" help narrow it down is making a list of the following:

1. With no rollovers engaged, what scoring happens in the left and right hole. As frenchmarky says, is it consistent?
2. With only the A rollover engaged, what scoring happens in the holes. Again, consistent or not?
3. With only the B rollover engaged, what scoring happens in the holes.
4. With only the C rollover engaged, what scoring happens in the holes.

Let's start with that: Scoring results when only 1 rollover is engaged at a time.

#36 2 years ago

Does anyone know what type of contacts are on the switches in Fast Draw? I just read that using a file could damage my contacts if they are gold plated. Also what are some ways that you guys clean up your switches?

#37 2 years ago

They're not gold-plated. I use either a flexi-stick and clean with alcohol afterwards to remove grit, or if there's room, I prefer using a dremel tool with a steel brush dipped in alcohol. I suppose everyone here will have their preference. You just want to end up with a clean, smooth-ish surface that makes good electrical contact.

Sometimes on those large high-current contacts, I'll use a small file to re-surface the contact if they're severely burned or pitted, but usually I get by with the flexi-stick and dremel.

#38 2 years ago

Great thanks for your advice. I will pick me up one of those flexi-sticks.

Is the picture what you are talking about?

game room guys flex stone (resized).pnggame room guys flex stone (resized).png
#39 2 years ago

That's the idea, though there's a new flexi-stick that leaves a lot of grit behind, so make sure you clean it with alcohol after using the stick.

#40 2 years ago

Alright. Will do. Are these plastic pieces really necessary or is it more of a personal preference sort of thing? I am cleaning my playfield and these things are really dirty. Thinking about removing them. I plan on maintaining my playfield with cleaning and waxing every thousand plays or so. I'm assuming they are just to lessen playfield wear. Waxing often should be alright though, right?

2022-03-0221.49.521532835058150962233.jpg2022-03-0221.49.521532835058150962233.jpg
#41 2 years ago

Those are the original floating mylar discs, most people don't like them because they let dirt get under there but I still like to replace worn out ones with new ones for my low-play use at home. You can replace with regular stick-on clear or colored mylar circles from various pinball sources.

#42 2 years ago

I like the clear adhesive-backed mylar discs for under the pops because, as frenchmarky said, dirt does accumulate under the floating ones which will hasten the wear on the pf. But whatever you use, you need something under there - there's just too much wear and tear under there from the violence of the ball being pushed out by the ring.

I also use some small mylar squares to protect the pf where the ball lands when it's kicked out of the right and left holes. The pf is almost always worn to the wood in those 2 spots...wax won't be enough.

#43 2 years ago

Mine is already worn to the wood in those spots haha. I will just leave them there. I cleaned them up a bit with some alcohol. They're not terrible looking I guess. Thanks for your opinions.

#44 2 years ago

Mine has those two spots too, haven't put my new playfield in yet because I'm lazy. Besides I've had the game since the 80s, I literally never notice those wear spots anyway. It's as if they were part of the original artwork. X D

#45 2 years ago

Everyone's different - those 2 spots of bare wood in the yellow "Special" area drove me crazy, so I repainted them and then covered them with mylar. I can sleep at night, now. Possibly, I'm a little bit anal-retentive....just possibly.

I'd like to see the op get that hole scoring right, though.

#46 2 years ago

This is how I got started, it's not difficult nor expensive for most playfield paint touch ups.

There are lots of guides out there for doing this work. It's not hard and totally reversible if the paint match isn't perfect. Acrylic paint from a local craft store and, I can't stress enough, very small brushes.

I also have a So'76 and would highly recommend putting a small piece of mylar on the wear spot from the kick out. It will continue to damage the playfield and paint in the long run.

My first attempt was with my Cleopatra many years ago. The touch-ups have held up fine with just a coat of wax, no need to clear coat it either if it's a home use pin. And now that I've done a couple more playfield touch ups the Cleo is gonna get serious a restoration in the near future.

When I purchased the Cleo someone had previously touched up the playfield. I was able to remove that and repaint the areas for a better color match.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-an-em-pin-ready-for-the-dumpster/page/2

#47 2 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys. I am back to no scores on my kickouts... Dang it I am actually starting to get frustrated over it. I was having fun with the problem solving but I just want to play the dang game now haha. I cleaned up all contacts on the motor checked all gaps everything is good on the motor. It seems to me that relay G as well as L are both working. I checked for loose wires. I checked my male / female connections. I am lost...

#48 2 years ago

I drew this up to help you understand how the scoring is supposed to work for the kickout holes. Since you're not getting any scoring now, I'd probably start troubleshooting at the beginning. When the ball goes into either kickout hole, does the G relay energize? If so, is the G switch in this drawing (use the wire colors to identify it) closing? If not, we'll have to figure out why.

Do you have a jumper wire and know how they're used to troubleshoot circuits like this?

Fast Draw kickout hole (resized).JPGFast Draw kickout hole (resized).JPG
#49 2 years ago

Found this beast today at work. Haha. It's probably as old as Fast Draw. I will start checking continuity down the list that you gave me. I really appreciate you helping me out with this. It must've taken a while to make a nice diagram like the one you provided.

IMG_20220304_070650.jpgIMG_20220304_070650.jpg
#50 2 years ago

A meter with vacuum tubes, I like it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-draw-issue-please-help?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.