Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.JPG
front.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Just picked this up a couple days ago and fixed a ton of issues... except one (for now).

Player 1 has the problem... 10pt will carry over to 100 everytime, even at machine gun pace. 50pt will only occasionally turn 100... all other players work fine. So I'm guessing it's not the score reel, since 10pt is always fine. Checked wires, clean/adjusted switches, N and M relay, 50pt relay, Z1, and anything else I could think of... HELP! Driving me nuts

front.jpgfront.jpg
#2 9 years ago

i'm guessing it is the score reel switches on the 10's reel on player 1...

the 50 pt relay has no way of "knowing" that it is causing a "need" for the 100 pt reel to advance... all it does is advance the 10 pt reel 5 times*...

* actually, it fires the 50 pt relay 5 times, which subsequently fires the 10 pt relay once for each pulse...

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i'm guessing it is the score reel switches on the 10's reel on player 1...
the 50 pt relay has no way of "knowing" that it is causing a "need" for the 100 pt reel to advance... all it does is advance the 10 pt reel 5 times*...
* actually, it fires the 50 pt relay 5 times, which subsequently fires the 10 pt relay once for each pulse...

Chris, I don't have the schematic, but wouldn't the 50 point relay just close and the score motor pulses the 10 point relay 5 times? The score motor has to turn for 50 points, it doesn't for 10. I would think there has to be a switch on the 50 point relay that starts the motor running.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Chris, I don't have the schematic, but wouldn't the 50 point relay just close and the score motor pulses the 10 point relay 5 times? The score motor has to turn for 50 points, it doesn't for 10. I would think there has to be a switch on the 50 point relay that starts the motor running.

yea, it does have to turn for the 50 pts (vs. 10)... i don't have that specific schematic, but what "should" happen is that an action that requires 50 points to be scored will...

- fire the score motor
- lock in the 50 point relay (via the score motor)
- lock out the rest of the pf actions that require the score motor...
- complete a circuit to the 10 point relay (via the 50 point relay being locked in)...
- fire (with the impulse cam) the 10 point relay 5 times (via the 50 point relay)...
- complete a score motor "revolution"...
- drop out power to the 50 point relay...
- restore power to rest of pf actions...

so yea, in the end, it's firing the 10 point relay, but it is doing it via the 50 point relay... i shoulda been more clear about that in my initial post...

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yea, it does have to turn for the 50 pts (vs. 10)... i don't have that specific schematic, but what "should" happen is that an action that requires 50 points to be scored will...
- fire the score motor
- lock in the 50 point relay (via the score motor)
- lock out the rest of the pf actions that require the score motor...
- complete a circuit to the 10 point relay (via the 50 point relay being locked in)...
- fire (with the impulse cam) the 10 point relay 5 times (via the 50 point relay)...
- complete a score motor "revolution"...
- drop out power to the 50 point relay...
- restore power to rest of pf actions...
so yea, in the end, it's firing the 10 point relay, but it is doing it via the 50 point relay... i shoulda been more clear about that in my initial post...

Yeah, I didn't think that the 50 point relay would actually pulse, just would lock in.

#6 9 years ago

It fires the 50pt, then the 10pt N five times... but only turns the 100's occasionally. The 10pt alone doesn't use the score motor as you said, but it does ALWAYS register 100's. So how can a single 10pt work (even rapid firing it like the signal from 50pt) and always register 100's but yet the 50pt, which triggers N 5 times not work? I've cleaned and adjusted the 0 position multiple times, no luck...

#7 9 years ago

My theory:
If the score motor switch that activates the 10 point relay is not sending a strong pulse, it might not register enough the carry over the 100 pt. reel. Regardless, I would check all switches in that 50 point circuit for proper gap, and they are clean/making good contact. If you are saying it only happens on player 1, then my theory is bunk, since it would also cause the same effect for players 2,3, and 4. So......go back to the player 1 score reels as Chris was talking about...... I would focus on that carry over switch on the 10 pt. reel.

#8 9 years ago

Since it's only on the Player 1 reel, then to me that still suggests the problem is most likely there, despite the observation that it apparently works with singular 10pts in rapid succession. The 50pt scoring is produced by the timing and mechanics of the game; how is the equivalent rapid firing of the 10pt produced?

The 100's reel is actually activated by the 100pt relay (M). To have the rollover from the 10s work, there are several switches that all need to be closed within the timing window. M is activated by having:
- the 9th position switch on the 10's reel closed,
- the EOS switch on the 10's reel closed, and
- a switch on N closed.

Then when M activates, a switch closing there is what finally increments the 100s reel.

There are separate switches on M for each player's 100s reel.

Since it sounds like it does work at least some of the time, then that further suggests timing, or maybe a loose connection (or even a loose contact point).

My guess though would be the combo of the 9th position switch and EOS switch on the Player 1 10's reel. They both need to be closed while N is still active (and switch there closed) in order to activate M; if one opens too soon or closes too late, then the pulse can be missed. Manually activating N quickly doesn't quite simulate the effect of it being activated by the score motor pulse.

As another diagnostic, can also jumper the Player 2 100's reel over to Player 1 and then see if it increments correctly on 50points scored rolling over on Player 2 (both 100's reels should increment in parallel). If it does, then that further confirms the issue rests with the Player 1 10s reel. Other jumper combos can be used to isolate as well.

#9 9 years ago

Yes, it's only player 1... and very frustrating!!!! I bet I worked on the 10 pt reel 20 times, haha... thus why I'm here

But for the life of me, I can't understand why the 10 pt relay works fine and turns the 100, even if rapid fired... but yet the same 10 pt relay (when going through score motor) usually won't fire the 100 (or 100 chime).

I guess I'm looking for something definitive, such as "It can only be the score reel period". Which makes perfect sense to me... except that I feel I tried everything twenty times already.

I do appreciate all past, current and future help!!!

#10 9 years ago

Thanks for the info, we cross posted... would I jumper every switch wire or just the EOS and 9/0?

#11 9 years ago

Just go from coil to coil; Player 2 100's reel coil to Player 1 100's coil. When the Player 2 100's coil gets a signal, then so will Player 1. But don't jumper it until you're ready to score points on Player 2 (i.e., after reset, after Player 1 ball 1).

#12 9 years ago

sorry, on the colored wires, not the black.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Uncle_Nudge:

It fires the 50pt, then the 10pt N five times... but only turns the 100's occasionally. The 10pt alone doesn't use the score motor as you said, but it does ALWAYS register 100's. So how can a single 10pt work (even rapid firing it like the signal from 50pt) and always register 100's but yet the 50pt, which triggers N 5 times not work? I've cleaned and adjusted the 0 position multiple times, no luck...

It's not the 0 position switch you want to make sure is good it's the 9 position switch on the 10s reel. That, and a switch on the 10 point relay that, together with the 9 position switch, will send power to the 100 point relay to activate the 100 point reel.

#14 9 years ago

Yes, 9 position when it makes contact. Then when it releases at 0 it activates... so I mentioned both

I'm going to try again with the suggestions, much appreciated. Right now I'm burned out though, so I'll report back when there's something to report... thanks again!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

It's not the 0 position switch you want to make sure is good it's the 9 position switch on the 10s reel. That, and a switch on the 10 point relay that, together with the 9 position switch, will send power to the 100 point relay to activate the 100 point reel.

Like EMs said, revisit the 10 point relay as there is a switch there that contributes to this equation.

#16 9 years ago

Suspect the 9 position switch on the player one 10s score reel. Even if it is making contact, clean the switch so you've got good conductivity. Also, clean and gap the switch on the score motor that pulses the score reel. It seems feasible you may have mediocre connections in both of these switches, and the combination is causing your issue.

I went through something similar on my Top Score; it was a pain in the dick to track down, because it was two mediocre connections being made instead of a single switch out of adjustment.

#17 9 years ago

Ive got a quick draw machine when i first got it
1st player no probs 2nd player score was jumping
it was the 9 position switch took the reals apart gave
Them a good clean and a little bit of lube
On the metal parts working good

#18 9 years ago

this is what I used photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#19 9 years ago

FIXED!!!! Tried all the methods you guys suggested and a few more, haha... The timing thing got me thinking that maybe the reel itself was not timing right (as a last resort). So took it apart, cleaned then a light film of super lube on the match board. Probably the best thing was to give the return spring a few twists before attaching to tighten up the action. Sure enough, that did it. My conclusion was the reel was getting in the right place, at the wrong time... just enough to lose some sleep over

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-draw-help-needed-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.