(Topic ID: 138113)

Farthest You've Driven for a Pin (round-trip)

By mof

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by wishiwas
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the farthest you've driven? (in miles)”

• GRAND CHAMPION: 6000+ 2 votes
    1%
  • BJ and the Bear: 3000-5999 2 votes
    1%
  • Rubber Duck: 2000-2999 6 votes
    4%
  • Professional: 1500-1999 14 votes
    9%
  • Advanced: 1000-1499 30 votes
    18%
  • Intermediate: 500-999 59 votes
    36%
  • Novice: 250-499 31 votes
    19%
  • Rookie: 1-249 15 votes
    9%
  • No, You Come to Me: 0 4 votes
    2%

(163 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
RoadMap5.jpg
RoadMap4.jpg
RoadMap3.jpg
RoadMap2.jpg
RoadMap1.jpg
DSCN0222.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Img_0033.jpg
DSCN0921.jpg
11082559_10203561933236321_7258068312099513771_n.jpg
1027141822.jpg
PBpickupFOG.jpg
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

note: This is meant to be a fun light-hearted thread on road trips, with a competitive twist.

What's the farthest you've ever driven to pick up a pin?

Vote your round-trip distance. Then tell us about your longest one-way or round-trip drive!

I'd love to thrown down a great story, but my personal "distance" won't even rate -- I'm a "Rook" -- I'll leave the bragging to the rugged adventurous pros...

-mof

#2 8 years ago

Top 10 Pinside Road Warriors

Current GC: MeNaCeFiRe: 3250 miles
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/farthest-road-trip-youve-driven/page/2#post-2665781

3250, MeNaCeFiRe, project Genesis
3000, BenetBoy78, MM, STTNG, 2 cat-piss-covered pins.
2950, Coyote, ???
2600, scooter8416 (grabbed a bunch of projects)
2480, Hitch9, TOM + FH
2200, ff6735, came back empty-handed... BRUTAL!
2100, radium, space station
2000, MrArt2u, sporty, all done in a '58 truck!
1700, EvanDickson, Getaway
1700, PinballHelp, Spectrum

#3 8 years ago

I hope everyone votes regardless of putting a story up, but gosh darn it, if you voted for anything over 1000 miles, I think you OWE us a story, haha...

note: the GAMES linked up top are NOT the ones people grabbed on their trips, they are all driving or convoy themed. If you just linked your (non-auto-themed) game, then you fail at pattern recognition, please try again...

-mof

#4 8 years ago

1,500 miles round trip, Michigan to North Carolina and back in one weekend for a Safecracker.

Visiting my folks near Charlotte NC, at Thanksgiving many years ago. Went to visit a pinball friend of mine there while staying with my family. He never mentioned he was selling any pins. So drive back to Michigan and find out he decided to sell his Safecracker. Dang! End up driving all the way back down several weeks later to get the SC.

For several years after that, I specifically asked him if he had any games for sale BEFORE we drove back home. Ended up with a HS2 from him that we were able to bring back in a Uhaul a couple years later.

#5 8 years ago

I think it should be more clear; does our vote represent the distance each way or the total distance of the trip?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I think it should be more clear; does our vote represent the distance each way or the total distance of the trip?

I didn't want to exclude anyone like RD from his epic one-way trips, so for most people it will be round-trip.
-mof

#7 8 years ago

I did 1100 round trip to pick up a STTNG a few years ago.

I just did a 240 round trip 2 days ago to pick up a Rapid Fire. That has to count as some sort of record.

#8 8 years ago

Doing a 600 round trip tomorrow. Trading my JM for a Pinbot (includes new CPR playfield and cash). Tried locally, but only found trades that were willing to meet part way.

#9 8 years ago

2200 miles. Albany NY to the west side of St Louis. And I didn't even buy the game........not as advertised.

#10 8 years ago

Picked up a BOP in WV. Oregon (near Madison) WI to Hurricane then back up to South Bend, IN in less than 24 hrs. Kentucky 9 is a beautiful drive. Seller was class act. Completed final 240 miles next morning.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Schinny:

Picked up a BOP in WV. Oregon (near Madison) WI to Hurricane then back up to South Bend, IN in less than 24 hrs. Kentucky 9 is a beautiful drive. Seller was class act. Completed final 240 miles next morning.

What are we talking in total miles, bro?
-mof

#12 8 years ago

6 hrs each Iowa to St Louis MO....720 miles... The brutal part was we had just went to STL the weekend before to a Great Keller party. Then notice when we got home.. A guy has a High Speed. for sale in the same area.... So back we go within 30 miles of the party again the next weekend. . So really 24 hrs --- 6 days apart. 1440 is miles.....Good times.

#13 8 years ago

From Dayton to Chicago for TFTC back in April 2012 for a total of about 606 miles. Left at 0900 Friday night, and got home Saturday morning at 0500.

Needless to say, there was a huge adventure in between Chicago and Dayton that I was not expecting until I got a call on my cell to divert to Indianapolis.....

Always makes for a good war story at pinball events....

#14 8 years ago

500 round trip to Pismo Beach and back to get an F-14 Tomcat from Pinsider PismoArcade, One of the nicest guys in the hobby. Should have been a nine hour trip, but I had to tack on an hour when a 17 year old girl rear ended me in rush hour traffic on the freeway when I was about a half hour away from home. Dont worry though, the pin was OK.

#15 8 years ago

Oops. Roughly 1300.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

250 round trip to Pismo Beach and back to get an F-14 Tomcat from Pinsider PismoArcade, One of the nicest guys in the hobby. Should have been a nine hour trip, but I had to tack on an hour when a 17 year old girl rear ended me in rush hour traffic on the freeway when I was about a half hour away from home. Dont worry though, the pin was OK.

I think you might mean 500 miles total.
-mof

#17 8 years ago

A little over 900 roundtrip. Picked up a nice SOF from craigslist. The dude lived near Knotts berry farms in Buena Park. Great/professional guy with no BS. He was working on a shiny Bad Cats at the time, but SOF was all I was thinking about. It was worth the trip.
Can I get a "Lion Man"?...

#18 8 years ago

Guy was selling a Mata Hari for $350 in Medford, OR. Had a new Alltek MPU and a full set of Pinscore displays....and included the original MPU which was good as well. I live in Bothell, WA. Said I wanted it but just couldn't justify the drive. He said he was just looking for another pinball. I rattled off some pins I had that I would sell and he lit up when I mentioned an EATPM. I sold him the EATPM for $1500 (uh, this was a few years ago). Made the deal and I did the round trip in one day...Total miles approximately 920.

#19 8 years ago

I did a 950 mile (1528km)round trip to Calgary to trade my Batman Forever for a Doctor Who earlier this summer. Definitely worth the drive. It was a long day though.

#20 8 years ago

Phoenix Arizona to Botham Alabama for a Medieval Madness and STtNG with my German Shepard dog, Bella in a 1998 Suburban all in three days total round trip during Hurricane Issac.

I finally get to the guys place in Alabama and its full of pins and cats....and STINKS like HOLY Cat SXXX. WTF? Lesson learned, always ask about pets and smokers!!! Worst part, that will make you laugh, is I had to drive the whole way home in the suburban with two pins (one a wide body) smelling cat piss with the dog asking me WoofTF? Nasty, but I guess it did motivate me more to get home! LOL....

Not sure of the miles, I will check. I took a circuitous route to travel on roads I had never seen. Is America great, or what?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Phoenix Arizona to Botham Alabama for a Medieval Madness and STtNG with my German Shepard dog, Bella in a 1998 Suburban all in three days total round trip during Hurricane Issac.

>3000 miles. We found ourselves our first BJ and the BEAR !
-mof

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

2200 miles. Albany NY to the west side of St Louis. And I didn't even buy the game........not as advertised.

2200 miles, and we've found our first Rubber Duck!

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

1,500 miles round trip, Michigan to North Carolina and back in one weekend for a Safecracker..

I think we've found ourselves a Duke!

#24 8 years ago

18hrs round trip from Melbourne to Sydney an back to Melbourne, 9 hours each way to get MY PRECIOUS (LOTR)
Totally worth it would do it again I a heart beat!!!!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

ouch

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Schinny:

Oops. Roughly 1300.

Then we have ourselves our first J.D. Dawes!
-mof

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

18hrs round trip from Melbourne to Sydney an back to Melbourne, 9 hours each way to get MY PRECIOUS (LOTR)
Totally worth it would do it again I a heart beat!!!!

Looks like about 1200 miles to me boss.
-mof

#28 8 years ago

505 miles each way (1010 total) to KC, MO to pick up a Treasure Cove Corvette, did the same trip a few months later to pick up a Treasure Cove No Fear. Both trips in one day. Still have the Corvette!

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Yikes

My furthest round-trip was just over 500 miles--over 4 hours each way. I've done over a dozen 200-400 mile round trips besides that.

Because of all that traveling, I've been racking up the mileage on my vehicle pretty quick, and thus get my oil changed a bit more frequently than usual. The mechanic I go to for oil changes thinks I'm nuts. But, I get pretty good gas mileage, so there's that.

I've only come back empty-handed once when the condition wasn't quite as good as advertised. The seller wouldn't budge on the price, so I passed. Other than that, I've always brought something home--and sometimes even ended up with two pins when I only expected to get one.

#30 8 years ago

I don't know what it would be in miles but last weekend I drove 16 hours to pick up my Grail pin a LOTR! From Ottawa to Windsor, then back to Ottawa.

****EDIT****
I just googled it. It's about 1025 miles.

#31 8 years ago

Rookie here. Longest I drove was about 100 miles roundtrip to Dayhuff's place to pick up a STTNG. However, the better part of that story was where I brought a friend with me to pick up the pin. My friend, seeing John's collection, caught the bug... He now has been through more pins than me, but it's been a fun ride. I still have the STTNG.

And just for S & G's...

#32 8 years ago

We did a 2,000+ mile trip to Portland and back to pick up a friend's grail pin. (A flipper less game called Sporty) We turned it in to a fun road trip, met tons of pinsiders that opened up their homes and collections to us and, in the end, even came home with a couple of new to us EMs for ourselves.
We've also driven to Idaho, Utah, Arizona and most of California to pick up pins. Usually in my '58 Chevy pickup. But Portland was the longest. Oh, and we'll be taking a southwest road trip at the end of this month. No pin pickups scheduled for this trip. Yet...

#33 8 years ago

Longest roadrtrip was to PAGG this year. A little over 1600 miles. Came back with 3 pins sooo technically we drove there for the pins.

#34 8 years ago

Pretty normal now to do 600-700 miles round trip for either auctions or deals made via pinside. San Jose, CA to Los Angeles region. Auction trips more often than not come back home empty handed.

#35 8 years ago

Yup, long haul for sure. It was for an IJ. I'll stop short of calling the guy a liar, but certainly not as advertised even after asking specific questions.
I didn't even make him an offer as it would have been insulting. During inspection I pointed out the things that I asked exact questions about and in person found it to be the exact opposite. For example I wanted a domestic game. I was assured it was. Very first thing I looked for, the sticker......sure as shit it was a re-import. After about 6-8 more things I finally gave up, shook the guys hand and said thanks, but no thanks.
Walked out 30 seconds later

#36 8 years ago

1200 miles for a Spirit in Montreal. Customs people seemed suspicious when I told them I drove to Montreal and then turned right around and headed back to USA.

#37 8 years ago

2950. Colorado Springs, CO to Atlanta, GA in 1995..

#38 8 years ago

Iowa City to just east of St. Louis last fall (after passing on an overpriced Simpsons DE during the Chicago Expo, weeks earlier) for my prized TSPP, a little over 600 miles. The drive wouldn't have been an issue except for the pea soup fog that was in place until just outside St. Louis that morning. Made highway speeds impossible, averaged maybe 40 MPH most of the trip down.
Minty fresh undocumented HUO machine that turned out to have a playfield that likely had been pulled from the production line by one of it's creators and mistakenly put back on the floor:
PBpickupFOG.jpgPBpickupFOG.jpg1027141822.jpg1027141822.jpg

#39 8 years ago

2100+ miles to pickup a Space Station project and an F14. I like road trips though.

#40 8 years ago

1600 Miles from Cape May NJ to Kokomo, Indiana. Actually 3 trips to the east coast for TZ, Lost World, and a 2nd TZ.

Mac

#41 8 years ago

Drove 650 miles kitchener ontario to pittsburgh and back for a playfeild I didn't buy. But brought the GF and picked up penguins tickets and booked a hotel before I left so we made a weekend out of it.

#42 8 years ago

One way = 1240 miles. Toronto to Texarkana. Total 2480 miles. It was years ago, but at the end of the line was a Theatre of magic for $500 and a Fun House for $150. A guy who wanted stand up arcades, but didn't want pinball machines bought out an old Operator and wanted to unload the pins. He picked up at least 60 videos. I ended up using a company vehicle and did some business along the way.
Win-Win. Man, those were the days...

#43 8 years ago

About 10 hours / 750 miles for me from Manhattan, KS to St Louis to get my JM.

#44 8 years ago

Wow, some pros! I've went 600+ miles round trip twice to Rochester: once for a FH and a Whirlwind from someone else a few months later. Still have Whirlwind. Headed to Buffalo for one. Had some other long trips but not as far. Ironically my first pin came from one town over.

#45 8 years ago

768 miles roundtrip for a Shadow. Seems like nothing compared to some of these hauls though!

#46 8 years ago

400+ miles round trip for a family vacation on Kelowna where I happened to find an x-men for sale in a landscaping company's showroom. Managed to fit it into the minivan with two adults and three kids. It actually for really well!

#47 8 years ago

Olympia Wa to Boise Id. About 1100 miles. I have made 3 trips in the past year for several pins "Mata Hari, Strikes and Spares, Captain Fantastic, Vulcan, Jack in the Box, Nitro Ground Shaker, parts machines for "300 and Evel Knievel, Memory Lane.11082559_10203561933236321_7258068312099513771_n.jpg11082559_10203561933236321_7258068312099513771_n.jpg

#48 8 years ago

1250 miles round trip to trade my STTNG for X-MEN LTD... Great trip, great trade!

#49 8 years ago

Since they haven't chimed in, I will let them remain anonymous, but....

I had one Pinsider drive from Dallas to Clearwater (arrive at 6am) to turn right around and head home (1125 miles each way) 2250m round trip

Another Pinsider from Cincinnati to Clearwater (940 miles each way) 1880m round trip

#50 8 years ago

Around 1200 for my STTNG and Shadow round trip. After 8 hours of driving I'm beat even if I have a cool pin, but I still look at 12-14 hour trips and think "Well that's possible in a day".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 1,159.00
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/farthest-road-trip-youve-driven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.