5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I just got an email from their support out of the blue, supposedly about a purchase in 2015 via Apple.
    It had an attachment called "request.doc" and when I went to open it Windows Defender said there was a virus detected and deleted it.

BobC

#2 5 years ago

I got the same email. I did not open the attachment.

#3 5 years ago

I opened it on my iPhone like a dumbass but immediately realized my dumb-assery and changed my gmail password. I do respect the numerous new ways they figure out how to screw over their existing customers haha.

#4 5 years ago

" Farsight Studios Support Team <[email protected]>
    To:
    Bob Conner

‎Jun‎ ‎20 at ‎10‎:‎38‎ ‎AM

Hello,

Unfortunately, our email system was recently compromised. Please do not open any attachments that you have received from us in the past 24 hours.

If you did happen to open the attachment, please run a scan for malware on the device.

Free virus scan software: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

We apologize for the inconvenience.

-FarSight Studios Support "

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I do respect the numerous new ways they figure out how to screw over their existing customers haha.

I do hope the ha ha meant you knew it wasn't Farsight trying to compromise your computer, but in case someone else isn't clear, a third party simply got ahold of their mailing list and is spoofing an email as though it was from them, with a Word document attached containing macro based malware. Hardly new -- one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Never open a .doc file from anyone unless you are expecting it!

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I do hope the ha ha meant you knew it wasn't Farsight trying to compromise your computer, but in case someone else isn't clear, a third party simply got ahold of their mailing list and is spoofing an email as though it was from them, with a Word document attached containing macro based malware. Hardly new -- one of the oldest tricks in the book.
    Never open a .doc file from anyone unless you are expecting it!

Shit - I got this Email - but can't remember if I clicked on the attachment on my iPhone or not...how can I know or check if I unleashed this thing on myself?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/farsight-studios-pinball-virus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.