(Topic ID: 87403)

Fargo Pinball - Tilt Pinball - Rip Off ??

By acef

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10338503_10154227242065691_4095663980749990200_o(1).jpg
fargopin3.jpg
fargopin4.jpg
fargopin1.jpg
fargopin5.jpg
fargopin2.jpg
image-385.jpg

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

I would pay $30 for 24/7 access to a pin location like that in a heartbeat, coin drop or not. Location pinball is a beautiful thing and a risky business venture- support it.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Clawhammer:

I would pay $30 for 24/7 access to a pin location like that in a heartbeat, coin drop or not. Location pinball is a beautiful thing and a risky business venture- support it.

Its actually in a really nice area. TONS of food places and lots to do in that area. Looks a little rough on your way in, but multiple pizza places that look good and lots of shops and more food. Did I mention food? Pinball and food. GO

#53 9 years ago

Hell, I'd pay $30.00 just to play that Comet everyday!!!!

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Its actually in a really nice area. TONS of food places and lots to do in that area. Looks a little rough on your way in, but multiple pizza places that look good and lots of shops and more food. Did I mention food? Pinball and food. GO

Gotta love Spicy Pie

1 week later
#55 9 years ago

Be thankful that there is pinball in Fargo at all. Before this what games where in North Dakota????? Since I don't have the resources to buy $50,000 in pins I am happy to have a place to play with decent games. Long story short, don't bitch about the good thing you have.

1 month later
#56 9 years ago

Anyone know if there might be some open hours this weekend? I know half the town is out of town... No hours posted so it's hit or miss for me.

#57 9 years ago

Doors propped open or not, I'd still be willing to pay the subscription fee to support the cause. Hell, it costs me a lot more than $30 a month when league starts up at my nearest location and I'm playing there weekly.

1 week later
#58 9 years ago

I will most likely be going there in the not too distant future, and these machines will be severely scrutinized by me to ensure these games are worth my time & money. I do look forwards to trying F-14 Tomcat and Big Guns.

1 week later
#59 9 years ago

That place looks SWEET!!!!!

#60 9 years ago

Where is that located at?

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I thought I would add some pictures of the place.

fargopin2.jpg 291 KB

fargopin5.jpg 237 KB

fargopin1.jpg 227 KB

fargopin4.jpg 188 KB

fargopin3.jpg 230 KB

they all look in pretty nice shape. wish i was close

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Where is that located at?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/413+Broadway/@46.880244,-96.7876862,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x52c8c966935d285b:0x9108c76560f3457d

Streetview:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/413+Broadway/@46.880562,-96.787711,3a,75y,90.04h,89.51t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sdmQQNWcj2SZ0PzED5qpZpw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x52c8c966935d285b:0x9108c76560f3457d

In the "The Northern" (not to be confused with the strip club of the same name 4 blocks west ) building which is basically all apartments, except for the front area between its door and the Goodyear shop to the right, which is where the pinballs are. Watch his facebook page to see when he has an open night (about once every 4-6 weeks) to be able to get in, or meet up with an existing member.

1 week later
#63 9 years ago

I decided to open a pinball arcade in Fargo ND because;

1. There aren't any arcades in the area and very few pins that are available to the public.

2. Buying a machine for my basement felt very lonely and isolating to me. I think of an arcade as a social setting. Its fun to play pins with others in the room. Its also fun to chase high scores against your rivals. (just lost my high score to "DOS" on Junk Yard yesterday argggh!!!!)

3. Everyone said that a crazy idea like a membership only supported arcade wouldn't work.

4. I wanted to do something fun and unique with a small space that was located in a building I had just purchased.

5. I felt the arcade was a great way to positively contribute not only to the fabric of my own businesses but also to the community that is downtown Fargo.

6. I wanted to do something for the fun of it and not worry about whether or not it was going to make a buck.

7. I thought a 24/7 arcade was feasible and could be achieved with minimal upfront costs and a low monthly overhead.

8. Have I already said I did it for the fun of it?

Fargo Pinball was started on some simple premises. Keep it simple, safe, clean and fill the room with pinball machines.

The arcade is open 24/7 members go through a background screening process and receive an access key. Members are free to bring any guests they choose to. When I have the time (which has been very rare) I will post the occasional "open the public" day on Facebook. I prop the doors open and I am personally on sight to keep an eye on things. They other 98% of the time only members and their invited guests can get in. There are two security doors members must use their key to pass through (there was only one originally because the 2nd was a custom build jobby that took 2 months to make and install). The key access is important in maintaining the feel of the arcade. It greatly reduces the possibility of "not good" (the passed out drunk sleeping it off under the machines because its warm and dry or worse). I make my income from the rentals I operate and from its inception the arcade was never created to be a secondary source of income. It pays a few hundred in rent each month and besides some regular maintenance and the cost of insurance there isn't any other overhead. We've got over 200 members and 2-4 additional applicants weekly. Its been amazingly success from my perspective. The income generated (mostly from the coin drop) is able to cover the overhead. Anything left over goes to buying more machines. The arcade has been able to purchase 5 additional machines so far and we are working on the 6th "Monster Bash" which I think well have paid for by Aug or Sept.

45 days after I thought of the idea we opened the doors. I can't say that I have spent any serious amount of time planning or developing the idea before we fired it up, on top of all that, I have zero experience with electronics or anything mechanical for that matter. All that said, I think its been fun....an absolute ton of fun to do.... and I cannot be thankful enough to the overwhelming amount of support we've received from the local community and beyond. I get calls weekly from folks passing through Fargo that want to stop and play because they heard about in Boston or Winnipeg or Billings. We are having our first member event this week "Free Play Friday" which is a thank you to all the membership for "believing in crazy" and joining. I hope to be able to spend more time developing the idea further with a greater emphasis on activities and some fun contests and challenges for our membership to take part in.

Of the $35 initial membership fee over half of that is spent covering the cost of the background and the access key fob. We are able to cover the replacement of one lost access key should a member misplace theirs as well (you'd be surprised how often that happens). Its a small thing but from a customer relations standpoint its nice to be able to just say "hey no problem your replacement key is free this time". Initially, I had planned on the idea that we wouldn't be this successful and the renewal fee of $20 was there as a way to ensure that the rent/insurance/upkeep costs would be partially or fully covered for the upcoming year. But as things stand now and assuming that we are able to maintain our current income, I am planning on putting it to the membership to decide. If we keep the $20 renewal fee, we will be able to use that to buy a couple more pinball machines on top of the ones we will be buying with the coin drop (maybe something super special like MM or the upcoming Hobbit). If the membership wants to convert to lifetime memberships instead and drop the yearly renewal, I would be perfectly content with that as well.

I feel a bad that I missed this topic and didn't respond earlier. Had I seen it I would have posted with the intent to help spread good information. Fargo Pinball was born from the idea of having fun and doing something that would give back as much or more than it took from those who took part in it. Its membership is why it works. My job, as I see it, is to try and keep that membership alive and active so we can buy pinball machines and play more pinball so we can buy more pinball machines so we can play more pinball etc etc etc .............

my most sincerest regards..

Scott Nelson
President Games By Dorks LLC
DBA Fargo Pinball

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from GimliilmiG:

I feel a bad that I missed this topic and didn't respond earlier.

Eh, I practically live on this site some days and I missed it until today too, so don't feel bad.

Sounds like you've got a great thing going, keep it up!

#65 9 years ago

I knew I was in the right place when I saw this billboard...

10338503_10154227242065691_4095663980749990200_o(1).jpg10338503_10154227242065691_4095663980749990200_o(1).jpg

#66 9 years ago

I wish Scott lived in Central Florida. What a great idea!

Chris

#67 9 years ago

I saw that Billboard the other day, now you saved me the trouble of having to take the pic myself.

#68 9 years ago

I would be all up in this place with a large pizza and six pack at all hour of the night! BADASS!

#69 9 years ago

I saw on Facebook today that Scott has all the .50 games set on free play tomorrow 6-20-14 from noon to midnight! I'll still try my luck with WOZ...

Scott's a great guy & puts a lot of effort into this.

#70 9 years ago

I'm only 3 hours away(like any twin cities resident). Give us a heads up on another open arcade day you are having.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from GimliilmiG:

. I wanted to do something for the fun of it and not worry about whether or not it was going to make a buck.

people like you are a rare commodity, i wish you were near us !!

3 weeks later
#72 9 years ago

Great work Scott, I've heard of this place from Bill over there in Fargo and it sounds amazing. I plan to make my way out there and visit your location! Awesome idea, you are an valued asset in the pinball community. Keep up the excellent work!

#73 9 years ago

Fargo is a pinball town. D. Gottlieb & Co. had a plant there that fed stuff to the main Northlake plant.

#74 9 years ago

Hey,

I was in town for an evening back in May, and stopped in and bought a membership. Then I spent the better part of the evening throwing quarters into the machines. Nice way to spend some time that otherwise would have just consisted of me drinking a couple beers and going to bed early.

Luke

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Fargo is a pinball town. D. Gottlieb & Co. had a plant there that fed stuff to the main Northlake plant.

Some of the older ladies I work with worked at that plant back in the day.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

Some of the older ladies I work with worked at that plant back in the day.

Interesting. Which parts of the machines were assembled in Fargo?

#77 9 years ago

Actually this is a good price for it because the club I go to is £5 a week for Friday 6:30PM until 10:00PM this you get 24 Hours of pinball action

3 weeks later
#78 9 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Which parts of the machines were assembled in Fargo?

Why, the tilt mechanisms, of course!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Cumberland, PA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fargo-pinball-tilt-pinball-rip-off/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.