(Topic ID: 87403)

Fargo Pinball - Tilt Pinball - Rip Off ??

By acef

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by littlecammi
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

10338503_10154227242065691_4095663980749990200_o(1).jpg
fargopin3.jpg
fargopin4.jpg
fargopin1.jpg
fargopin5.jpg
fargopin2.jpg
image-385.jpg

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

At first when this guy opened the place that has about 14 pinball machines it sounded like a good idea to pay $30 for a key fob that was supposed to just let "members" in. But every time we go there the front door is propped open & the door to the pinball room is either propped open or you can push it to get in. So..... why make me pay $30 to get in?

He does have some decent games... WOZ LE, Bride of Pinbot, Funhouse, Adams Family, Fish Tails, TZ & others.

There are about 10 security cameras.

The owner "Scott" says he doesn't really care if he makes money & says if he does... he will just buy more machines. He pays top retail for these games & I cant see how he does make ANY $ with maybe 10 people in there for a few hours on a Sat night. I hardly ever see anyone there weekdays & just 1-2 people week nights.
Scott owns the apartment building where this room is in the front facing Broadway.

Scott's seems like a very nice guy; so this is NOT personal.

He was served papers for the TILT Pinball name so now it's Fargo Pinball

Your reason for the $30 fee was to keep the drunks from the near by bars out... which is ok but... I think you hope the public come in & spend their $$ so you take a chance.

I figure he has at least $50,000 in pinball/security cameras & change machines.

If you DON'T want to keep both doors locked... (with not having to use a key fob)... give us back the $30 please.

#2 5 years ago

Support pinball arcades or don't go

I don't understand your complaint

#3 5 years ago

great first post bro

#4 5 years ago

At least you got a pinball arcade to go to I sure don't

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from jimster102:

At least you got a pinball arcade to go to I sure don't

Is Somewhere Cool, MN anywhere near Hopkins, MN ?

LTG : )™

#6 5 years ago

I believe if the doors are propped open those are his "open to the public" hours. When i get off work at 10pm the door is never proped open. I'm happy to have a place to play pins. And if he doesnt care about making money thats his deal not mine. I dont think he will close the doors tomorrow and I will be out my $30, but I feel I have already got my monies worth.

#7 5 years ago

Actually sounds like a cool idea! Like 24 hours a day?

#8 5 years ago

Incredible situation either way. I would be rejoycing in ATL for a place like this to exist.

#9 5 years ago

So you are whining because you can just push your way into the doors instead of having to pay for a "key fob" to become a member....and now you want your money back?? SUPPORT this guy....don't eff him over just because he doesn't have the bugs worked out in his system. Do you like having pinball available to play in your area....or not?!

image-385.jpg

#10 5 years ago

I spend a lot of time at Tilt, and the open doors have never bothered me because it does not happen very often. He is just trying to get more people involved, which I see as a good thing. Personally, I am one of those that go there in the early mornings and weeknights, when no one else is there and the doors are rarely propped open to the public at those times. I have certainly played my $30 worth of private pin play (multiple times over). Great place and Scott is a great guy. Now that we have a pinball arcade in Fargo, I am not sure how we ever lived without one.....
-Kyros

#11 5 years ago

Queue Wambulance photo.

#12 5 years ago

Please verify; are the machines on free play or coin play? Also, Add a poll so we can simply vote.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Please verify; are the machines on free play or coin play? Also, Add a poll so we can simply vote.

If you do add a poll, make sure one of the options is "I obviously don't know how good I have it".

And I understand the gist of your complaint (you paid $30 for something that appears to not have value, or should have been explained better if it was more for allowing you to get in during the "off times" or whatever...).

30 bucks is 30 bucks, I understand that too. If you like having access to those games, by your reckoning you are getting about $49,970 off for acess to them any time. I'll spot you a few more grand as I assume they are not on free play, and if you go very often for several years you MIGHT spend that much.

Still, when you look at it like that who is "ripping off" who?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Coin play.
The $30 membership fee gets you a fob for door access and registration of your pinball initials.
-Kyros

#15 5 years ago

Is the access 24/7?

#16 5 years ago

I do not get your complaint, man. in one breath you are whining about getting ripped off and in the other you are saying he's clearly not making any money.

it sounds like a great lineup with great accessibility. what a terrible situation?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Is the access 24/7?

It is. That is what I like best about it.
-Kyros

#18 5 years ago

If someone opened a place like this near me complaining about paying $30 for a key to get in anytime I want would be the last thing that would cross my mind.. even if the door was open most of the time.

#19 5 years ago

I think perhaps the rules of the fob were probably not clearly drawn out when people signed up? Something like "For $30, a fob gets you 24 hr access. The arcade will otherwise be open during the hours posted on the website." would probably lay this one to rest.

Seems like a really cool place. One of Fargo's finest is behind Logan Hardware here in Chicago and is really happy that there's a now place to play in his home town. Prior to that, it was all Pinball Arcade on the iPad to get his fix.

So...

Who served the papers claiming to own the word "tilt"? DO TELL! That's the kinda stuff I come to Pinside for.

#20 5 years ago

Yes... The doors are open 24/7. The games are not on free play but when he 1st brought the Wizard of Oz in he had it on free play that night. Scott... the owner is there almost every time I'm there & is a super guy.

Acef.... pm me & I'll give you $30 for your key fob/membership.

Barry

#21 5 years ago

Based on the information above; No, it is not a ripoff.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

Who served the papers claiming to own the word "tilt"? DO TELL! That's the kinda stuff I come to Pinside for.

I would -=assume=- it's probably Tilt Amusements..they would seem to be the largest party with a vested interest in the name.

http://www.tiltamusements.com/

#23 5 years ago

I also would like to add... If a machine has problems & Scott can't figure it out... he will haul them to the best pin guy in the area... to Walker MN which is about 2 hours from here to have them repaired & back quick.

He's working on getting Monster Bash... Midevil Madness & others.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I would -=assume=- it's probably Tilt Amusements..they would seem to be the largest party with a vested interest in the name.
http://www.tiltamusements.com/

Hands off of my word, little guy!

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

Hands off of my word, little guy!

Pretty much. Gotta love how businesses can commandeer any word in the english language and then tell other people they're not allowed to use it anymore.

Remember about a month or so ago, King (the guys that make Candy Crush Saga and a crapton of other similar facebook/iphone games?) started sending out C&D's to anyone even remotely using the word "king" for anything....was the only recent case I can remember where the business actually got to go pound dirt over their ridiculous claim. This specific situation I only find marginally ridiculous, because both are pinball related. Unless the claim to "tilt" was filed by a non-pinball related business (since we don't know who filed it).....in which case it would be fully ridiculous.

#26 5 years ago

Sounds like some one needs to start buying his own machines.

#27 5 years ago

$30 bucks is a deal for 24/7 access.

Other "clubs" charge $200 a year and you only get 7pm to 11pm.

#28 5 years ago

I have read some dumb complaints on here but this one is up there. $30 = 24hr access to great games. Yeah, not something to complain about. Sell somebody else your key and move on. I would love a place like that around here.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Is Somewhere Cool, MN anywhere near Hopkins, MN ?
LTG : )™

I wish I am way up north I have been trying to move to twin citys but no luck yet

#30 5 years ago

I thought I would add some pictures of the place.

fargopin2.jpg fargopin5.jpg fargopin1.jpg fargopin4.jpg fargopin3.jpg
#31 5 years ago

Some great games

#32 5 years ago

Put WOZ in the corner, and put Big Guns in the center

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wrong. That's Trent. He's not the litigious type. Tilt is a chain of arcades that ironically no longer include pins. We should take them to court for false advertising. They have a long history of protecting their ironically incorrect name. You get three guesses what their website address is. The first two don't count.

http://tinyurl.com/bn2dtqo

Subscription pinball sucks, no matter how you do it. If you can't make it on coin drop, you better have something else to sell other than pinball. Sounds like a very cool place, but his current MO doesn't sound like something that will last.

#34 5 years ago

I grew up in the flatlands of the Red River Valley and lived a couple years in Fargo itself. I can't tell you how jealous I am that you now have a place to play pins, membership or not. I'd just be happy with what you got. It gives a person something to do when it's -20 degrees besides drinking and eating Burger Time or Pizza Patrol.

#35 5 years ago

I go to pinball petes once a week and drop 20 dollars in 2 hours, this place sounds awesome. Don't see how it's a rip off

#36 5 years ago

I'll be "vacationing" in Fargo over Memorial Day weekend and am looking forward to checking it out. Will give me something to do besides drink in the hotel bar.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Wrong. That's Trent. He's not the litigious type. Tilt is a chain of arcades that ironically no longer include pins.

Okay, well, Tilt arcades haven't existed in Dallas/Plano/Richardson as far as I know since the early 2000's... so if they're still around, it's news to me. Doesn't really matter in the end.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Wrong. That's Trent. He's not the litigious type. Tilt is a chain of arcades that ironically no longer include pins. We should take them to court for false advertising.

Yeah, I didn't figure that Trent would be out there scouring the earth to protect the tilt in Tilt Amusements. He's built his brand/cred based on his reputation, and this is a local arcade -- not a pinball distributor.

I can't believe that Tilt Arcades still exist! Here's the evolution of my experience with discovering there was a Tilt arcade in a mall:
1) 80's - 90's: Awesome! I can go play some pinball & video games while other people shop.
2) Late 90's: I hope that the Tilt has more than one pin so I don't get bored with one.
3) Early 2000's: Wow! There's still a Tilt at this mall. I hope they have a pin, and that it's remotely playable.
4) Mid-2000's on: Don't even bother looking at the mall directory for a Tilt, because I know it either won't exist, or just has kiddie Las Vegas (redemption games) + vids that I don't want to play.

#39 5 years ago

And back on topic....
"Hey, can you support a one-time fee of $30 to help support location pinball -- for a nice place, with pins that work, etc?"
Where do I sign up???

From my personal experience....
I'm a member at Pinballz Arcade here in Austin, which is also coin drop on top of my membership. Granted, I do get additional value from my membership in the form of monthly 2-for-1 token specials, a few free drinks/snacks, and a free party room rental (which I've sadly never used). But the point is: if I were asked to be a member that simply paid a little extra to help support the location and keep pins on location that are playable, I'd do it.

I'm ecstatic to have location pinball available to me locally, and I do my best to support Pinballz as well as the other locations around Austin that are supporting the hobby by having pins on location.

#40 5 years ago

I recently became a member of "tilt" pinball in Fargo. I didn't even hesitate, and I don't live there. I may only get out there a couple of times a year. Is it worth it? Hell yah! There's a lot of great games there. Yes, you have drop quarters in them to play, but prices are set to the year when the machines first came out.

From what I understand, the membership fee also includes a background check. Helps keep the riff-raff out as well.

It's a win/win situation. Now I only have to drive half as far for a great variety of pins.

Thanks Fargo pinball for all that you're doing for the sport!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

We should take them to court for false advertising.

While we're at it, let's sue Pinball Pizza in Burbank, CA as well.

#42 5 years ago

The Tilt! at Crossroads Mall in OKC is now known as the Marvel Arcade. The mall has been renamed Plaza Mayor at The Crossroads. Mexican themed marketplace with all four anchor stores vacant. Very nice....

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Okay, well, Tilt arcades haven't existed in Dallas/Plano/Richardson as far as I know since the early 2000's... so if they're still around, it's news to me. Doesn't really matter in the end.

When you're suggesting it's probably Trent, yes it does matter. Looking at your karma points, I would say that you've spent enough time here to know who Trent is and how he runs his business. Don't want to sound like a dick, but maybe you should read more and post less.

It's also common knowledge that Tilt regularly goes after anyone trying to use the Tilt name. RGP has years of posts on the topic. A quick google search would've told you it wasn't Trent.

Quoted from Barron:

While we're at it, let's sue Pinball Pizza in Burbank, CA as well.

No pins? Seriously? We should burn the place to the ground.
d

#44 5 years ago

I'm a member and I have ZERO issues with public hours. How the hell else is he supposed to get the public interested?

I'd rather have the pinball arcade flourishing with the general public instead of it languishing/stagnating with a bunch of us pinheads standing around circle jerking on WOZ with the doors locked and the lights out...

#45 5 years ago

Reasons why he has a membership:
1) Security. Above all Security. The place is open 24/7, and it's adjacent to renter apartments on the same floor and another floor above. It is in a downtown area. It is across from a bar. If you rented in that building would you want the general public having access past the outside security door at any hour? Even if they can't get into your separately locked apartment, it still is a security issue.

2) Increasing sales: If you have access at any time, you're gonna be more likely to go there. You will pick when it's quieter or when YOU have time. Not when there is a limited 5 hour window one or two nights every 2-3 weeks like he's done. He will make more money when you don't have to check a web site to see if it's open and then deal with others playing the games you want to put your money in.,

Reasons he has open days:
1) Increase sales: Bring people in that don't have membership and see what it's all about. They MAY chose to buy a membership, or may chose to tell friends that may buy one or at least show up on an open evening to play = more money = more long term viability of the place.

That said, he has said many time, he does not make money on the membership. He makes the money on the plays. Every membership includes a keyfob (which costs him money to purchase/program) and a full background check. That's right, you don't get in if there is any reason he believes you are a risk, just like renting an apartment in the same building. Once you deduct those costs, he really doesn't make much, if any money; directly; on the "membership". But it does guarantee you'll likely be back.

You, as a member are more than welcome to bring others with you -- but like renting -- you are responsible for their actions. With all the security, it should be self-policing. If something bad happens, you will lose access.

Also, on the days he is open to the public -- he is there (at least the few times I have stopped in). So it's not that it's a free for all with drunks from the bar across the street. He has a lot to protect.

This all said, I will disclose that I myself do not have a membership. I chose not to because I am often busy, and with the types of games he has, only going once every 2 or 3 months on an open evening, or randomly with a friend that has one that is going to be there -- is more than enough for me to play a few games. I don't need to live there; but will gladly support it when there are games I want to play there by dropping coins in the slot.

#46 5 years ago

Honestly, if you're bitching about the $35 fee for joining, you're in the wrong hobby. Shame on you OP for stirring up drama.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

When you're suggesting it's probably Trent, yes it does matter. Looking at your karma points, I would say that you've spent enough time here to know who Trent is and how he runs his business. Don't want to sound like a dick, but maybe you should read more and post less.

I don't read RGP. I haven't ever talked to Trent, and I don't think I've ever seen him posting here, so I wouldn't claim to know the first bloody thing about him. I read probably 80% or more of what is posted here. I CLEARLY SAID that I was making an ASSUMPTION about who it might be, and you have CLEARLY assumed that when I said "it doesn't matter" that I was referring to the state of Trent's business, which was not the case, at all. It doesn't matter who sued the guy for the name, he still had to change it. I went out of my way to indicate obviously that I had no way to know if it was him or not.

Christ. Perhaps YOU should take your own advice!

#48 5 years ago

Please Please Please open one near me so I can play pins I can't afford 24/7..............
I can dream.

#49 5 years ago

I apologize. I should NOT have posted ANY of it except the positive.

I'm getting others to sign up also. It's just $20 a year after you pay the $30 the 1st year.

I feel really bad about what I posted.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from acef:

I apologize. I should NOT have posted ANY of it except the positive.

I think it's GOOD you posted what was bothering you.

You heard other's opinions and if that "set things straight" in your mind....then that is better than letting it stew in your mind at night.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.00
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Rubber/Silicone
Scandinavian Pinball
$ 100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Atlanta, GA
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, TN
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Great American Pinball
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Machine - For Sale
Kinnelon, NJ
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside