(Topic ID: 4417)

Fandango: Ball/Bonus Countdown Problem

By oldskoolbob

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I have been restoring a 1976 Playmatic Fandango. I have just fired it up after a deep cleaning. I have chased down quite a few simple playfield switch adjustments. Now I'm getting to the tricky ones. When the ball drains and goes into the trough. The bonus countdown sequence starts and seems to hang. The score motor runs and runs. The bonus stepper subtract coil buzzes and sometimes the ball return coil will energize and stay energized during this meltdown. The machine did this when I first bought it. I have since cleaned all the steppers and rebuilt the trough switches. I have been studying the schematic for this machine. There are many relays involved in this sequence. The schematic does not have much score motor sequence info. Has anyone been down this road before? Did Playmatic emulate Williams or Bally in the score motor design? If anyone can point in the right direction. It would be very appreciated. Cheers

#2 12 years ago

off the top of my head..............ouch
you have bonus,
2x bonus,
and perhaps 3x bonus? ( I'll have to look)
all three relays have to work right if one is off the ball wont eject

#3 12 years ago

Thanks HDC. I knew you would have the answer. You are the PLM tech guru. I checked the Bonus and Double Bonus relays they are clean and seem to make/break correctly. I did not think about the Triple B. I will check that. Half of the fun is getting the machine countdown with playfield up and no ball.

#4 12 years ago

Thats cool man
if a pf light is out you may not know you are in that bonus range?
I bet the playfield on that pin is as awesome just as mine?
Playmatic out of Spain used an automotive clear coat on there tables and that was in the 1970s!
years ahead of the big 3 here in the states

#5 12 years ago

HDC, I think I'm getting a little closer. It seems to be a problem in a score motor stack. The schematic states that contact set "2B" breaks the bonus subtract coil. As I look at the #2 stack. I see makes and no breaks. It is a high state cam with one notch. I'm new to the EM world so I have a "Don't fix what ain't broke" approach to SM's. In this case I see a whole stack of switches that are in "make" for the whole rotation. I assume the stack has sagged or the rubbing block is worn. It seems if I lift the stack just a little. I get a bonus countdown like the game would do. I found this out a little late at night. I will explore this further at a better time. As I'm new to pinball repair I think I'm dealing with the extra step of setting up a good troubleshooting platform that a seasoned pro "just goes to". I arrived at shiming the ball in trough switch, pulling the motor service pin, then lowering the mains with a Variac to protect the coils. Yes my playfield is very nice as well. I did not realize how good I had it til I bought Mati Hari. I then came to know what a 30+ year old playfield looks like. Playmatic was on to something. It seems to make the play faster too. Thanks for all your help. Have a great day OSB

#6 12 years ago

If you get to a point and things arent working out too well you can post a photo of the S.M. and I can compare it to my own.
Sounds like your doing fine OSB remember these games take some time to work out.

#7 12 years ago

Update: It was the score motor stacks. I addressed several issues with this sagging switch problem.
I put a shim under 3 S.M. switch stacks. The stacks had lost their temper and would not open when on the high circle of the cam. Now the bonus counts down very nicely. I had some other problems where coils would buzz very loud. I now realize it was S.M. contacts not breaking and leaving coils energized.
I was mistaken, the #2 Cam has 2 detents. I actually knew that #2 cam has 2 events per revolution and #3 has 3, etc. It was late so I suppose my mind had gone to sleep before I had.
I guess it is time to clean and carefully arc those S.M. switch blades.
Thanks for your encouragement HDC. Getting a game going does take some time. It is like building a ship in a bottle. If it was easy, I would of tired of it long ago.

#8 12 years ago

Yeah if you adjusted cleaned every sw in a game it might start up right away....but they hardly ever do
think of all the non working Playmatics just waiting for someone to come to their rescue,
- and cheap

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fandango-ballbonus-countdown-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.