• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I am in the process of replacing some coils and a lot of sleeves but noticed the new coils come with Diodes and none of them on the PF have any.

I am just wondering should I retro-fit diodes on all the coils before the game starts getting used regularly?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image1 (resized).png
#2 3 years ago

A lot of DC EMs don't have the diodes. If they're not on the schematic, I wouldn't worry about it. They don't seem to have a major effect either way on EMs

#3 3 years ago

Diodes are to protect static-sensitive and reverse-current on electronics items. EMs use switches and relays, so they're not needed, yes.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Diodes are to protect static-sensitive and reverse-current on electronics items. EMs use switches and relays, so they're not needed, yes.

Some games do have them from the factory though, for some reason

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I thought they were there to protect the bridge rectifier from damage?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from jclocomotion:

I thought they were there to protect the bridge rectifier from damage?

Usually because the switches that activate the coils (like playfield switches) are between the coil and the rectifier.

Quoted from zacaj:

Some games do have them from the factory though, for some reason

Really? Huh. The EMs I've seen never had any. But granted - I'm far from an EM expert!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fan-tas-tic-has-dc-play-field-but-no-diodes-on-coils?hl=jclocomotion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.