View topic image gallery

ball_return2 (resized).jpg
20180125_115106 (resized).jpg
20180125_115054 (resized).jpg
ball_return (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
20180124_132953 (resized).jpg
20180124_132931 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChicagoPinReplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hello! My fantastic machine is having an issue with the ball return/ball save function on the left outlane. When you hit the center standup target it lights the left outlane which activates the ball save feature. When you drain a ball and hit the rollover in the corner of the outlane a coil hidden under the apron is supposed to punch the ball back out onto the playfield for a one time save. Well this is not happening and I have tried everything I can think of. While testing the game with the glass off depressing the rollover usually does nothing. Every now and again however the coil will partially activate and the rod pushes halfway out of the apron but not enough to knock the ball back or deactivate the one time save by opening it's EOS switch. Sometime it just shudders a bit or moves partially but most of the time nothing happens. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

20180124_132931 (resized).jpg20180124_132931 (resized).jpg

20180124_132953 (resized).jpg20180124_132953 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

Does the switch under the playfield for that lane have 2 contacts on it? Sounds like it does and one is either dirty or not making properly. A few games I've worked on have been like that and wouldn't score the bonus properly. Cleaning and adjusting fixed it.

Yes it does. Sorry I should have said I cleaned and adjusted that switch under the rollover already. I also cleaned the switch that triggers the bonus light.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Thanks! I have alligator clips and a multimeter but I have never diagnosed a circuit before. Would you have any suggestions?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Here are a couple articles about how to use them. If you'd like though we can talk on the phone.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf

Thank you so much! If I run into a snag I will PM you. Appreciate all of the info!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from smohr:

I know when I had similar issue (Fun-Fest, pic below). The part circled in red was not seated in place properly and I also re-soderd the 2 wires (red arrows) to the coil tabs while I was at it. Just a thought.

Ok thank you I will try that as well and advise on my results! It looks like the previous owner had re-soldered it already when I pulled the apron. And did a very poor job at it. The metal rod that actuates the EOS switch appeares to be in the correct place on mine and when tested by activating the coil manually is functioning properly. I also noticed that he has the 2 white wires soldered to one side of the coil and a black wire soldered to the other side. It looks like yours has one white to one side of the coil and then a white and a red to the other.

20180125_115054 (resized).jpg20180125_115054 (resized).jpg

20180125_115106 (resized).jpg20180125_115106 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Fixed! I tracked down the ball return relay (thanks HowardR for the diagram) and cleaned the switches on the relay. That did the trick. Thanks everyone!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChicagoPinReplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fan-tas-tic-ball-return-issue?tu=ChicagoPinReplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.