You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will Family Guy look good on my collection?”

• YEAH! Buy it right now!!! 42 votes
    32%
  • Yes, it's a great game. 36 votes
    27%
  • Yes, but you have better alternatives (please right it down bellow) 25 votes
    19%
  • No, not that special. 15 votes
    11%
  • NOOOOO!!! The game sucks!!! 4 votes
    3%
  • I don't know (option just to see the poll results :D ) 10 votes
    8%

(132 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BONUS.jpg
2013-09-11_19.35.56.jpg
2013-09-11_20.44.03.jpg
2013-09-11_20.44.30.jpg
2013-09-11_20.44.19.jpg
2013-09-11_20.44.12.jpg
minipower.jpg
FGY.jpg
FGY.jpg
FGY.jpg
toy_pinball.jpg

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I am thinking on getting FG.
Played the game a few times one or two years ago and liked it.
But i need more info from who knows the game better
What do you guys think?
Right now i have Tron, LOTR, NF, RS, RFM. But i am selling RS and RFM, so when they are gone the collection will be Tron, LOTR, NF.

#2 6 years ago

Get it! Great fun type pin.

#3 6 years ago

One of Stern's & Lawlor's best! The total package. Unique layout, great rules, excellent toy, great audio package.

#4 6 years ago

Yes get it! Your pinball player friends, your adult guests and new to pinball friends will like it also. It is funny as heck and fun to play. I have kids, so I have to buy a Shrek instead.

#5 6 years ago

I found it to be rather fun, but very easy. Not sure if the machine was set to hand out free games like candy, but I never received so many free games in my life. After over an hour of playing on "one" credit. I had to walk away and give the free games to some kids. It's Exactly the same as Shrek. I think The Simpsons is more challenging and offers a huge ruleset. However, no negativity here. It is a very good game, I would just choose TSPP over Family guy as my "Opinion".

#6 6 years ago

I'm not the biggest fan of the pin. If you liked it when you played it though it is probably worth looking into getting though. To hell with what I think about it.

#7 6 years ago

TSPP is a better game IMO.

#8 6 years ago

Fgy is funny as hell though, like crack up and laugh while playing funny.
It also likes to fart...alot.

#9 6 years ago

I'd get TSPP before FGY.

#10 6 years ago

I have had TSPP for a couple of years, got my FG last month. The above comments are correct. Funny pin, very pretty, but limited and easy shots/ rules. Still like it, but Simpsons is a much, much better game. I've loaded the Shrek software into it for the kids, amusing, but still easy. Good to have in the collection, but if you want a game that keeps you challenged, go with another.

#11 6 years ago

It's not for me. I don't care for how it shoots and it has one of those mini playfield thingy's that I don't like.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

it has one of those mini playfield thingy's that I don't like.

I actually agree with you on the mini PF. Really wish they had made it more like TSPP's mini-playfield.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I actually agree with you on the mini PF. Really wish they had made it more like TSPP's mini-playfield.

I like it the way it was created. Another unique classic Lawlor design with one of my favorite themes. Perfect game the way it is. I enjoy the original Pat Lawlor different style layout with Keith Johnson's stellar ruleset. My only complaints are that it needs a better backglass and it's missing Herbert. I'm still upset about Herbert but Rarehero explained to me a few years ago at expo that pedophiles and possible children's amusement equipment doesn't work together.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

I like it the way it was created. Another unique classic Lawlor design with one of my favorite themes. Perfect game the way it is. I enjoy the original Pat Lawlor different style layout with Keith Johnson's stellar ruleset. My only complaints are that it needs a better backglass and it's missing Herbert. I'm still upset about Herbert but Rarehero explained to me a few years ago at expo that pedophiles and possible children's amusement equipment doesn't work together.

I can understand why Herbert wasn't included in the game since Lisa and Marge weren't used on TSPP in terms of voice.

#15 6 years ago

FGY is a fun game...I would go AC/DC Prem, IM, or MET Pro over it though.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I can understand why Herbert wasn't included in the game since Lisa and Marge weren't used on TSPP in terms of voice.

I don't actually miss not having Cleveland or Herbert speech. It was worth the sacrifice. I'm not certain but think Family Guy has the most custom speech ever done in a pin.

#17 6 years ago

Terrific game with great rule set.

#18 6 years ago

One of my favorites and I have a lot of pins.

#19 6 years ago

I love the show. I have not played the pin, it was on my wish list for a long time. I need to play it somewhere and see if I want to make space at home for it. Anyone around my area have one I can play

Cheers

#20 6 years ago

A true mini playfield. Better than any others I've played.

#21 6 years ago

Ive only played it a handful of times, but I really enjoyed it. I also like the theme, which is more important to me than some others. I would buy one for sure if I were you. (I probably will myself some day)

#22 6 years ago

I think FGY is a great game. It's a lot of fun and I don't think most would get bored with for quite a long time. The audio is just hilarious. IMO it's a better game than TSPP.

#23 6 years ago

Great game and well balanced. Easy? TV wizard mode is pretty hard to achieve. Try taking the easy road by timing out the modes and see how many points you get once you get there; (spoiler alert) none. Sperm wizard mode is harder to achieve to than Valinor. Great Lawlor layout and a great (mostly) Keith Johnson rule set.
Scott

#24 6 years ago

FG is a fun game but not the equal of TSPP. However, it holds its value and resale is easy so hard to lose if you buy one.

#25 6 years ago

Love the theme ,mini playfield and callouts . Game play was easy , became very simple . I sold it due to lack of interest. Friends and family thought it fun and funny .

#26 6 years ago

FGY is sterns best. Here is why:
1. Caters to expert players and novice players.
2. Ball times are not too short for novices, nor are they too long for the advanced players.
3. Has the best and most 'custom' call outs of any pin
4. The rules are clever, insightful, original, and keep you coming back for more
5. It's the perfect pin to play while enjoying a beer
6. It's lawlor at his best!
7. Rare hero rated it a 10! It has to be good

Now I will comment on people saying the mini pf being a negative. Now I understand some of you just don't like mini pf's *cough* RobT *cough*. But there a BUNCH of adjustments that can be made in the settings that take the factory Stewie pinball settings and make it great! I too didnt like the mini pf for the first 6 mos I owned this game. But after finding those adjustments and making necessary tweaks; it became a challenge, and a blast to play. Plus, Stewie pinball has more flow than SM!!!! Well...almost

#27 6 years ago

Now I will comment on people saying the mini pf being a negative. Now I understand some of you just don't like mini pf's *cough* RobT *cough*.

It's true! I very much tend to not like them.

A mini PF is like a mini pinball machine inside a real pinball machine, taking space away from the real pinball machine.

If I wanted to play a mini pinball machine, I'd just buy one of these:

toy_pinball.jpg

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

1. Caters to expert players and novice players.
2. Ball times are not too short for novices, nor are they too long for the advanced players.
3. Has the best and most 'custom' call outs of any pin
4. The rules are clever, insightful, original, and keep you coming back for more
5. It's the perfect pin to play while enjoying a beer
6. It's lawlor at his best!
7. Rare hero rated it a 10! It has to be good

I agree with all of these points except the second half of point 2 (and maybe point 7, LOL). I think the ball times are too long for average to good players playing in groups of 3 or 4.

As for the mini playfield . . . I think it is the single best mini playfield ever in pinball. It really does play like a real pinball machine and hitting Louis and keeping control is challenging (hint: backhand that SOB from a full cradle). I like the music in that mode as well.

Also, just pointing out, I think FGY has the hardest skill shot in pinball (and I'm not talking about hitting the drop target...I bet Eskaybee knows the shot I'm talking about though).

#29 6 years ago

FG is super fun, and deeper than most people think imo

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I found it to be rather fun, but very easy. Not sure if the machine was set to hand out free games like candy, but I never received so many free games in my life.

If the center post is enabled, it can be stupid easy. I learned on a location game with it disabled. When I got one for myself, I immediately disabled the post (and removed the bulb). It never should've been on the game to begin with. I'm guessing the center post was working on the one you played. Disabling that post makes a world of difference.

I think The Simpsons is more challenging and offers a huge ruleset.

I won't argue which is more challenging, but with the center post disabled, average ball times will be significantly longer on TSPP. Maybe even with the post working.

Quoted from dendoc:

Funny pin, very pretty, but limited and easy shots/ rules.

I disagree. FGY and TSPP both have a ton of stacking potential and plenty of depth. Both share one particular programmer, who enjoys deep rules. No coincidence there.

Quoted from RobT:

It's not for me. I don't care for how it shoots and it has one of those mini playfield thingy's that I don't like.

That mini playfield 'thingy' is one of the most beloved playfield toys ever. Millions and millions of productive work hours have been lost over the years to guys dreaming of how they can make that mini playfield work right there on their desk. Countless guys have tried and failed. One day someone will finally complete the job (then promptly get fired from their job for wasting time).

#31 6 years ago

Granted, my TSPP left flippers and upper-v-kicker are pissing me off on maintenance. When I think I fixed it, and I get 20 games in... BOOM shes back to pissing me off. lol... I just want to play, not lift my PF up and clean my switches. "Maybe I should just install the new switches I have in my toolbox" lol

#32 6 years ago

Guess the majority votes that it's an amazing game!

The most voted option is TSPP. I also like TSPP, but the prices of that machine here in Europe are ridiculous. I played so much TSPP on the arcade days so i think i will leave that one for later. And after getting lotr, no need to get the 2 of the deepest games ever on the same place right away

I think i m gonna get it.. just one email away.. hhmmm....
it's always so hard to buy a pin cuzz you know you gonna wait a lot for the next one, so the decision is always hard lol
Fortunately i have you guys to help me out!! It's not the first time i do this kind of pool and it's a major help every time!

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Guess the majority votes that it's an amazing game!
The most voted option is TSPP. I also like TSPP, but the prices of that machine here in Europe are ridiculous. I played so much TSPP on the arcade days so i think i will leave that one for later. And after getting lotr, no need to get the 2 of the deepest games ever on the same place right away
I think i m gonna get it.. just one email away.. hhmmm....
it's always so hard to buy a pin cuzz you know you gonna wait a lot for the next one, so the decision is always hard lol
Fortunately i have you guys to help me out!! It's not the first time i do this kind of pool and it's a major help every time!

If it makes you feel better; LoTR lasted 7 years in my collection, FGY 4 years. Only 4 pins have lasted longer than a year in my collection. ACDC is about to be the 5th. If you do buy it; play it factory for about a week, then really dig into settings and adjustments; tweak it to your liking. I love pins that require more software adjustments than hardware

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I agree with all of these points except the second half of point 2 (and maybe point 7, LOL). I think the ball times are too long for average to good players playing in groups of 3 or 4.
As for the mini playfield . . . I think it is the single best mini playfield ever in pinball. It really does play like a real pinball machine and hitting Louis and keeping control is challenging (hint: backhand that SOB from a full cradle). I like the music in that mode as well.
Also, just pointing out, I think FGY has the hardest skill shot in pinball (and I'm not talking about hitting the drop target...I bet Eskaybee knows the shot I'm talking about though).

Oh yeaaaaa....that shot is a bit*h! But very satisfying when hit. Sometimes I can hit it by plunging just under the death target which is really fun. Other times you gotta plunge so the ball goes between F and Death, then trickle behind death to the flipper and wham! True meaning of a super skill shot!

And yea, I agree great playrs can have long ball times. But moving outlane posts up and disabling center post fixes that. I didn't disable my center post too often though because it plays a huge role in getting the stewie super jp and getting to sperm attack! Which I've done

#35 6 years ago

Hey all you Family Guy fans and owners, I was just wondering, Is there any real good use for the 3rd flipper? The 3rd flipper seems to just put the ball into danger for me. I have longer games and seem to do better if I just pretty much ignore the 3rd flipper. I never owned this game (yet), so I haven't been able to really get all the nuances and such, but I thought I'd ask as I've always wondered about this.

#36 6 years ago

3rd flipper uses:

-monkey jp shots. Good points + you need 5 total towards qualifying sperm attack
-stewie target: during sexy party, awesome for extra girls. Also used to collect stewie during stewie mb. Also a good way of banking it off stewie target into the FART targets.
- captive ball: mainly for the EB but also for collecting letters during stewie mb to trigger the ball saver/ add a ball function.
- death target/beer can: hit the death target an beer can in one shot.
- combos! I forgot the hidden combos in FGY; but I think they're similar to TAF: 3-way and 4-way?

The only thing you really shouldn't go for and is probably causing your drains is the captive ball shot. I found all other shots with that flipper to be not so risky.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One of Stern's & Lawlor's best! The total package. Unique layout, great rules, excellent toy, great audio package.

But...but...you're BIASED!

#38 6 years ago

Try a shrek before buying a family guy I love the show and wanted to buy a family guy pinball but I played a shrek pinball and had a change of heart , they are the exact same playfields only the theme was changed both fun but call out are very funny and more family friendly , personally I think shrek blows away family guy . The only thing is that shreks are rare because only 600 were made ....

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

Try a shrek before buying a Family Guy I love the show and wanted to buy a Family Guy pinball but I played a shrek pinball and had a change of heart , they are the exact same playfields only the theme was changed both fun but call out are very funny and more family friendly , personally I think shrek blows away Family Guy . The only thing is that shreks are rare because only 600 were made ....

Actually you can load the Shrek software in a Family guy and around!
I did that with my family guy, but found the sound package in Shrek boring compared to family guy!
Gamerules are about the same!
For art I like shrek better, but family guy is just more fun to play with the callouts etc!

#40 6 years ago

Family Guy is a top pinball pick for me. I had one for 5 years and sold it to a friend. One of the ones I regret and will own one again some day.

Great flow, music, humor, depth and FUN!

#41 6 years ago

Was my second pin and still own it. I agree TSPP is the better all around pin but FGY stands on its own as well. If you liked it a few years ago why not pick it up. Seems to be an easy sell if you have a change or heart so go ahead.

#42 6 years ago

Family guy is easy???? Huh???? Sure, if you want to start a mode and then cradle the ball as the modes time out. The beauty of the game is that TV wizard mode scores depending on how you did on all the modes leading up to it.

If you can constantly rock the modes, get to TV wizard mode, do well there and then at least once in a while get to sperm attack you need to take your game off 5 balls with specials awarding extra balls or something.

Playing the modes, and then just getting to TV wizard mode is hard enough. I've never been to sperm attack, and I'm at least an average player who's owned the game for years.

In terms of the mini, if you want a mini like TSPP buy TSPP, or AC/DC, or WoZ, or any other game that has a mini with small slippers and a couple shots. At least it's unique.

#43 6 years ago

ok email sent with an offer. let's see what happens!!

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Oh yeaaaaa....that shot is a bit*h! But very satisfying when hit.

Oh yeah.. "Someone's wearing their clever pants today!"

FGY definitely has some of the best callouts of any game, and many are custom pinball quotes. "You must be a flipper, coz you can smack my balls around anytime!" sez Quagmire. I saw someone actually step back from the machine after losing the ball around the raised up-post and getting the "You SUCK!!" comment thrown at them.

If you ever crack a smile at toilet humor, you must own this game... fart MB and ipecac modes stacked are hilarious. One-cheek-squeek... Dutch ovens... "Oh boy that's gonna leave a skidmark..." Ipecac features gallons of vomit on the display.. when do we get SAM color dmds so we can enjoy the hurling in technicolor glory?? There's probably at least three dozen startup quotes in the game... "Milk, milk, lemonade.. around the corner fudge is made!" among the grosser ones (but not nearly as bad as the "back-door" anal sex joke)

Under all this politically incorrectness is a nice flowing playfield and a great ruleset. TV wiz mode is hands down the best intermediary wizard mode Stern has ever made. You MUST do well in the modes to do well here! Tons of risk/reward in a constant hurryup situation, complete with perfect music and quotes. Lots of stacking, custom Crazy Chris music.. "When are you gonna get rid of that pimple, you look like a circus freak?!?" Great flow .. ramp to right orbit to stewie flipper to tunel back to right flipper for another ramp, or scoop shot.. Great game!

#45 6 years ago

What's a fair price for a FGY in HUO condition

#46 6 years ago

I enjoy it but haven't logged a ton of time on it. For a Lawlor...it seems pretty damn weird to me.
The biggest thing I've noticed is what phishrace commented on, the middle post make no sense to me. I don't know enough aboot the game to know why it comes out, but I know it comes out too much. Great for the family I guess, but no business for a normal player IMLO.
I love watching Family Guy (Ohhh he said the name of the game in the game!) but all the audio MIGHT get annoying I think would be one of the biggest drawbacks.
I've had a lot more time on TSPP and I find FGY more enjoyable/less annoying in every way. Although I am not doubting TSPP having a great ruleset.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I was just wondering, Is there any real good use for the 3rd flipper? The 3rd flipper seems to just put the ball into danger for me. I have longer games and seem to do better if I just pretty much ignore the 3rd flipper.

You learned the hard way. I learned by watching players better than me. What I saw was that after a hard right orbit/spinner shot, they would usually hold the upper flipper up as the ball went around to deflect it towards the right side of the playfield. Sure it's fun to loop two or three shots around the orbits over and over with the lower flippers, but it gets out of control quickly. Now, I hold up the upper flipper after just about every right orbit shot. I will use it during multiball or a mode, but usually not after a spinner shot.

If you're getting close to TV wiz mode, don't hesitate to cradle a ball and timeout a mode to get there. Yes, your jackpots will be smaller, but TV wiz mode is the best mini wiz mode ever. If you get close, you HAVE to play it! d

#48 6 years ago

I found it to be rather fun, but very easy. Not sure if the machine was set to hand out free games like candy, but I never received so many free games in my life. After over an hour of playing on "one" credit.

A low route replay setting doesn't make a game "easy". Unless you've been to Sperm Attack Multiball (or even TV Wizard Mode) then you can't call FGY easy. I've owned the game since 2007 and haven't been able to reach Sperm Attack without cheating.

Quoted from TheLaw:

The biggest thing I've noticed is what phishrace commented on, the middle post make no sense to me. I don't know enough aboot the game to know why it comes out, but I know it comes out too much.

When you hit the Death target, the middle post pops up...DEATHSAVE!!!! Get it?!?!

Quoted from RobT:

It's true! I very much tend to not like them.
A mini PF is like a mini pinball machine inside a real pinball machine, taking space away from the real pinball machine.
If I wanted to play a mini pinball machine, I'd just buy one of these:

That completely ignores the gameplay context of the mini-playfield. STEWIE MULTIBALL! You play both playfields at the same time and try to earn alternating Jackpots (ex. Lois on the upper, then Lois on the lower). The fact that it has that full gameplay integration means that it's not just a cheap pointless toy and that it ADDS to the experience of the real pinball machine rather than detracting from it.

Quoted from Fatsquatch:

But...but...you're BIASED!

I can't even watch the show anymore - but I still like the game...that's gotta mean something.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When you hit the Death target, the middle post pops up...DEATHSAVE!!!! Get it?!?!

Ahhhh...so simple even I could miss it. Thanks!

#50 6 years ago

This may be my next machine. I have one possibly lined up. I was also torn between TSPP and FGY, but FGY is available to me locally and I am seriously considering picking it up. You will have to keep us informed if you get it and how you enjoy it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Other
Habos Arcade
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside