Topic poll

“Family guy or Ghostbusters”

• Family Guy 35 votes
    41%
  • Ghostbusters 50 votes
    59%

(85 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20160714_203229419_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I'm thinking about getting a second machine and I'm between FGY and GB. I like the theme of FGY more but reviews here have made me skeptical about the longevity of it in my house and with GB premium coming out with great reviews (so far) I'm torn between the two. so I guess my question is what are your opinions on the two machines?

#2 3 years ago

You might wait to get a GB untill the playfield and other issues are lined out.

#3 3 years ago

GB = incomplete code, playfield issues, metal in lane issues, slimer issues & they should be around NIB for years

FGY = out of production, no mech/PF issues & complete code

I'd get FGY now, GB later

One day I will own both

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

You might wait to get a GB untill the playfield and other issues are lined out.

buy FGY and play it for a year and then buy a HUO GB that has the kinks worked out.

#5 3 years ago

I had Shrek (same layout/rules as FGY) for years and the layout does wear on you. Only a single ramp and it's not a good one. Mini pinball is great, but I'd take GB over it any day.

#6 3 years ago

If you like and enjoy family guy comedy, then get the pin. It's theme integration is top notch one of the best. Rules are insanely good and the game as a whole is fun. I owned my FGY for 4 years before selling. My one recommendation : I wanted to sell my fgy in the first month due to easy play and over use of mini pf. Adjusting the settings to make the mini pf more challenging and harder to achieve made the reward for stewie multiball much more greater and made the game better as a whole.

Go FGY, Its a classic for those that appreciate comedy.

#7 3 years ago

I like family guy. Shrek code is a bit better for modes.

I really like GB. And it is still not done. As the game is refined, it will only get better.

Of course the only real answer is to get both tables.

#8 3 years ago

gb

#9 3 years ago

FGY is still the most played title by my kids.....I love it!!!!....Highly recommend...

#10 3 years ago

I have both, greatly modded FGY, and GBLE. Both keepers, but GB is superior .

#11 3 years ago

FG is not easy to find and you will be able to buy GB NIB for the next 3 years. If you have a line on one and like the theme and let it go you may regret it.

GB is not an easy pin and moderate and casual players will have a tough go at it. If you are in that category then def FG. On the flip side if you are a good player and like a challenge then get GB.

Just because you post on Pinside does not mean you are good at playing pinball.

#12 3 years ago

What's the going rate of a family guy?

#13 3 years ago

When GB owners go to sell, they're going to get mighty tired of answering that inevitable question from potential buyers. "How's your playfield?".

And they're really going to be sick if their only honest response is "Not so hot" and then being told thanks but no thanks.

#14 3 years ago

I can't stand the art, dots & sounds of Shrek.

In fact FGY/Shrek is clear proof of how a very well executed theme is a total game changer. To me at least...

Don't believe me? Re-theme Metallica into a Nelson Twins game. Tell me how great the layout/rules are then lol

Shrek, smash mouth, a shitty gingerbread man, the worst donkey ever... "oh God I'm gonna barf" - actual FGY callout

#15 3 years ago

IMO Family guy is the best pinball I own, I finally got to SPERM wizard mode one time in 8 years. I'm in the top 1000 in rankings and I rarely play competitivly. Just saying, its a great game with a lot of stategy and could be in your collection for a long time. They will never make FG again and I rarely see them for sale, Ghostbusters is new so if you want one they will be avalible for a while and I'm sure some will be for sale. SO IMO I would grab any family guy you could get play the hell out of it and if you don't like it move on over the next year and buy the ghost buster. I have a PREMUIUM on order so I have kept myself from playing the pro so not to spoil my game when I rip it from its box.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

When GB owners go to sell, they're going to get mighty tired of answering that inevitable question from potential buyers. "How's your playfield?".
And they're really going to be sick if their only honest response is "Not so hot" and then being told thanks but no thanks.

I was thinking the same thing. I know folks often refer to the red TSPP car or pink TSPP car playfields. I was aware of the two but didn't really care.

I won't be impatient when I buy GB if I go HUO.

IMO now is a bad time to buy NIB & I'd be scared of getting NOS later on by big dealers that hold inventory.

Hopefully the delay was from resolving the current issues. If so party on Wayne

#18 3 years ago

I am not a huge fan of Family Guy. I'm not going to bash it too hard because I know other like it, but it just never did anything for me really. Opinion threads like this are always tough because everyone has their own likes and dislikes. For me personally, I'd take a GB.

#19 3 years ago

I would take a chance on GB myself. I didn't really get into FGY with a TSPP right next to it.

#20 3 years ago

The layout of Ghostbusters is so much better. I think the code is destined to be much better than FG's code too. FG/Shrek doesn't have a bad layout, but it's just not up to par with GB, in my personal opinion.

FG could be fun to own for a while while you wait for GB to fully mature though. It's not a bad idea to give new times a bit of extra time to bake. I waited for the second wave of AC/DC Premiums to hit, and I'm glad that I did. Mine has never had a problem and has a perfectly clear lower playfield window.

#21 3 years ago

I like the Family Guy show, but just couldn't get into the pin. The GB movies were just OK to me, but I love the pin. I say play both and then decide. I'm not really a new pin buyer, but GB has me thinking about it.

#22 3 years ago

I think if it were GB Pro vs FG, you might have a tough decision. But GB Premium all the way. It's all subjective, but I think GB wins on:

Art
Layout
Theme
Music
Innovation

FG is fun, but not nearly as fun as GB.

#23 3 years ago

I prefer Family Guy, but they're both fun.

#24 3 years ago

I picked up my FG NIB way back in the day, still have it and not leaving.
Its the one game I like to turn everything off and listen to the call outs AND its still fun to play.

#25 3 years ago

I think Im going to go with Family Guy. I just want to thank you all for your opinions! Id still love to hear more opinions though between the two machines. Id also would like to know, with a good amount of you preferring Family Guy, why does it have such a low rating? Granted Im sort of new to Pinside, I would consider myself an intermediate player so I don't understand some of the hate for the machine.

#26 3 years ago

I'm picking up a FGuy tonight.... because my preorder GB Pro from mid March is still not ready. So my vote for you is FGuy

#27 3 years ago

Ignore the ratings. If you like a game then it's a good pin.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from grimboys:

I think Im going to go with Family Guy. I just want to thank you all for your opinions! Id still love to hear more opinions though between the two machines. Id also would like to know, with a good amount of you preferring Family Guy, why does it have such a low rating? Granted Im sort of new to Pinside, I would consider myself an intermediate player so I don't understand some of the hate for the machine.

It's really not that low on the ratings (they all can't be top 20 games ). But, games with really good and deep code sometimes get overlooked due to theme or layout. There's 2 things that play against FGY; 1. Theme 2. Mini pf - not too many people are a fan of both.

That said, I didn't like my FGY after the first month and understand the hate. Loved the show and comedy but wasn't feeling the pin. Then I learned the rules...then I tweaked the settings for getting to the mini pf and playing the mini pf. It all came together and I ended up owning and loving the pin for 4 years. So all in all, some haters just don't give it a chance. But it has an amazing rule set; It's awesome and you'll love it.

#29 3 years ago

Family Guy all day. Stewie Multiball is by far the best multiball in any pinball machine. I regret trading mine away every day.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from grimboys:

A wise choice....people don't hate FGY as much as you might think.....quite the opposite, actually.....they just didn't make that many of them.....(of course, that didn't stop GB from ranking #1 this week, so that should give you a clue about rankings).....

#31 3 years ago

FGY is not my cup of tea theme-wise. Shrek is a better theme for me, but also not over the moon with it. The layout of those machines feels claustrophobic to me. (I'm also not a big fan of Simpsons pinball party for the same reason) also i have never found a machine of either theme that had a working mini playfield.

Ghostbusters is a theme I enjoy a lot more. and the playfield is open, with a ton of things to do. There's a ton of (in my opinion) overblown rage about the inserts on ghostbusters having minor imperfections. Given any old Family Guy or Shrek is going to have a lot more imperfections from wear and tear, i don't really see the argument being made. Having played probably 50+ credits on GB, I can tell you that those who say its 'Too Hard' are trolls, or really bad at pinball. The metal outlanes were a poor design choice by stern, but that can be resolved with acrylic outlane guards that 3rd parties are producing.

I'd go GB, but I'm not you.

#32 3 years ago

I prefer GB by a HUGE margin, but there's nothing wrong with picking up FG now and kicking it down the line when the GB kinks have been ironed out. There will be tons of opportunity to buy a new or HUO GB for years still.

#33 3 years ago

Well, Owning both HELLO "Ghostbusters" and no not a pro
Need a "Premium or LE" that game IMO is the best game Stern has ever put out.
Glad I jumped on board!

#34 3 years ago

Family Guy!
I picked one up a couple of weeks ago & I love it! Turn Adult setting on & get ready to laugh your butt off!

IMG_20160714_203229419_(resized).jpg

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Family Guy!
I picked one up a couple of weeks ago & I love it! Turn Adult setting on & get ready to laugh your butt off!

Love that powder cost. Much better than the yellow I've seen some have. Chrome is still my favorite though

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Family Guy!

Freakin great machine!!!.....perfect add to your lineup....

#37 3 years ago

Family guy has excellent dots and call-outs. The game also has a unique layout. The modes are all well done; however, the code is somewhat light. There were only a half dozen modes or so and every game started feeling all too similar. I'd usually get to tv wizard mode on most games. Could use more modes to add to the variety. I think it's a great game for a larger collection, but not for a small one.

Not sure about GB, I'm debating that myself. It's either that or TWD. Right now all the issues have me turned off from GB. Stern's QC seems like it's in need of some serious attention.

#38 3 years ago

Family guy now an ghostbusters later down the track.

#39 3 years ago

Family Guy without a doubt! Haven't played GB LE or Preminum yet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Hampton Roads, VA
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
North Andover, MA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside