• Latest reply 7 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I'm going through my Family Guy, installing LEDs (almost done - looks great), cleaning the playfield, adding padded decals, fixing the Lois spinner, etc. I'm new here and had a few questions - trying to shine her up and get her running ASAP:

- Anybody know the latest version of the FG software? The file is out on Stern's site with a date of 3/2/2014 but it doesn't say the Version and it's not listed on pinside.

- Is there any way to temper some of the LEDs (Stewie and Skill Shot are a bit too bright for me) other than trying to pull it back some from under the playfield some or angle the lights a certain way)?

- Are there batteries located anywhere in this game? If so, I want to replace. I don't think so as it's on the newer side and I don't recall seeing it in the manual. I wanted to avoid any potential battery leakage problems.

- There's a playfield light socket below the Mystery light (just south of the Drunken Clam) surrounded by Drunken Clam Artwork? Anybody know the Light # (or is that a rollover sensor) for this or if there even is one? I don't see in the manual - page 9 - it doesn't look like there is one when I run the Diagnostics.

- Anybody know the Light # for Meg Target (left ramp) just below the Meg figure? I don't see in the manual - page 9 - it doesn't look like there even is one when I run the Diagnostics.

- The spinner is shot - would you recommend just buying a new spinner or greasing this one up? It's so critical to this game.

- Can anybody recommend cleaning solution for the front and back of the translate? I have the perfect glass wipes that work great for the playfield glass and I believe that would work on the back of the translite BUT I don't know what to use for the front of the translite.

- How do you know when it's time to replace the rubber set? I don't see any wear, etc. I've got over 1000 plays since they were last changed.

- Can anybody recommend a good bulb puller for the hard to reach places - Fart Drop Target lights, Bank Lights? And damn, that Stewie spotlight is really in there - I can't twist it off.

I really appreciate the help.

#2 7 years ago

The battery is one of those puck things

Might as well replace the rubber & pinball since you're doing the LEDS

Use less bright LED's where needed or choose a softer color

If the spinner isn't broke, don't replace it. If it's broke get a new one!

I dunno what to say about the translite. Try a hardly damp soft cloth & see test it on a corner

Just use the most recent Stern release. It hurts nothing

#3 7 years ago

Thank You - really appreciate it. Pinballs definitely will be replaced. I have to order the rubber ring kit. I'll download the latest software and install. I'll order the spinner replacement - such a huge impact on this game.

Is this type of battery something I should replace as a precautionary measure? There's nothing wrong with game function wise.

If I download the latest software or replace the battery, will I lose the high scores? I don't want to lose my Grand Champion status - 160M. Maybe there is a way to re-enter the high scores?

I figured out the Meg issue. It's a lamp - replaced and tested.

Playfield and plastics cleaned up really nice except for area under crazy Chris ramp and captive ball area under the Stewie Mini Playfield. Now the decision - do I remove Stewie Mini Playfield and Chris plastics? I'm sure the area under the mini playfield is super dirty.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from rmt299:

Thank You - really appreciate it. Pinballs definitely will be replaced. I have to order the rubber ring kit. I'll download the latest software and install. I'll order the spinner replacement - such a huge impact on this game.
Is this type of battery something I should replace as a precautionary measure? There's nothing wrong with game function wise.
If I download the latest software or replace the battery, will I lose the high scores? I don't want to lose my Grand Champion status - 160M. Maybe there is a way to re-enter the high scores?
I figured out the Meg issue. It's a lamp - replaced and tested.
Playfield and plastics cleaned up really nice except for area under crazy Chris ramp and captive ball area under the Stewie Mini Playfield. Now the decision - do I remove Stewie Mini Playfield and Chris plastics? I'm sure the area under the mini playfield is super dirty.

Clean everything or you'll be back to a dirty machine in no time (remove mini pf and Chris plastics to clean.

You will lose your high scores when updating software. No biggie, snap a pic of it if you really care that much.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from rmt299:

- Anybody know the latest version of the FG software? The file is out on Stern's site with a date of 3/2/2014 but it doesn't say the Version and it's not listed on pinside.

Quoted from rmt299:

- Is there any way to temper some of the LEDs (Stewie and Skill Shot are a bit too bright for me) other than trying to pull it back some from under the playfield some or angle the lights a certain way)?

I use the flat-top style LEDs on my games...and if they end up being too bright, I paint the top white with a paint pen to dull it a little while retaining the color temperature I like (I find frosted bulbs have odd color temps). BTW - I recommend putting a color changer in Skill Shot...juts looks cool and draws your eye to it.

Quoted from rmt299:

- Are there batteries located anywhere in this game? If so, I want to replace. I don't think so as it's on the newer side and I don't recall seeing it in the manual. I wanted to avoid any potential battery leakage problems.

Lithium, don't sweat it.

Quoted from rmt299:

- The spinner is shot - would you recommend just buying a new spinner or greasing this one up? It's so critical to this game.

Clean it...if it doesn't spin well, get a new one.

Quoted from rmt299:

- Can anybody recommend cleaning solution for the front and back of the translate? I have the perfect glass wipes that work great for the playfield glass and I believe that would work on the back of the translite BUT I don't know what to use for the front of the translite.

Be careful on the front, you could remove the ink with some solutions. How'd the front of the translite get dirty? Is it dirty? I say just leave it alone.

Quoted from rmt299:

- How do you know when it's time to replace the rubber set? I don't see any wear, etc. I've got over 1000 plays since they were last changed.

When they look and/or feel shitty, replace them. Also, go white on this game. Makes the whole game pop more and plays more bouncy

Quoted from rmt299:

- Can anybody recommend a good bulb puller for the hard to reach places - Fart Drop Target lights, Bank Lights? And damn, that Stewie spotlight is really in there - I can't twist it off.
I really appreciate the help.

The spotlight hoods just pop off on Stern games...pop 'em off, bulb's easy to get out. As for the hard to reach places - just remove them from under the playfield, change the bulb, and put back.

#6 7 years ago

Thank You Pimp, Hero and PW. I'll remove the Mini-Playfield and Chris, update the software. Otherwise, it will bug me. My son wants to learn German so maybe I'll download the English - German (if they have one) one to replace the English/Spanish. That could be a hoot.

Got it - no need to change battery - translite looks great except for small area in top left corner. I'll save that for another time.

I'm definitely getting the color-changing LED for the Skill Shot. I'll have to order. I just installed the Frosted Set so can't change that - YET I like it the colored lights but the clear can be a bit overwhelming. I got a really bad migrane last night looking at them - I guess staring at them for 3 hours without blinking can do that.

I'll trade out Lois spinner for a younger Lois.

I'll order the white rubber ring kit.

I'll let you know how it turns out. My first time really going through this - it's not as bad as I imagined and I'm technically and mechanically challenged.

Time to get to it.

#7 7 years ago

Funny...I have a color changer in my skillshot too. Looks great. Great minds think alike. I made all the white jackpot inserts red too. They don't look right as white to me.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Funny...I have a color changer in my skillshot too. Looks great. Great minds think alike. I made all the white jackpot inserts red too. They don't look right as white to me.

Me too! also put an orange under Extra Ball and Green under "Pirate" (aka Seamus)...and Reds under Death. Some blues behind Stewie's mini pin

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#9 7 years ago

Btw - my insert style is generally warm white for red, orange, yellow. Cool white for white, blue, green. Custom colors as stated above. Warm white 2-LED (same as new Sterns, but warm) in the GI.

No frosteds!

#10 7 years ago
Never, ever, ever use frosted in inserts. That's why they have patterns - to catch the single point of light and shine it out!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Me too! also put an orange under Extra Ball and Green under "Pirate" (aka Seamus)...and Reds under Death. Some blues behind Stewie's mini pin
image_(resized).jpeg

I did a color changer extra ball and green pirate.

#12 7 years ago

Okay - so if I think the Frosted are a bit too strong, should I stick with those? - if I went warm white, that's even brighter, isn't it? - not sure my eyes could handle it - also, I don't think I could take the bank and drop targets off again to get to them.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from rmt299:

Okay - so if I think the Frosted are a bit too strong, should I stick with those? - if I went warm white, that's even brighter, isn't it? - not sure my eyes could handle it - also, I don't think I could take the bank and drop targets off again to get to them.

Where are you using frosted? GI or Inserts? Or both ? Only time I use frosted is if a GI is just right in my line of sight - a frosted can go there to alleviate that piercing pinpoint of light.

#14 7 years ago

Frosted for all Playfield Inserts - all general illumination lamps are regular incandescent bulbs (aka the old bulbs). The kit I purchases is all LED Frosted and for the Playfield Inserts ONLY. I find them to be plenty bright - a big jump in brightness from changing over from regular incandescent bulbs. They're all in and working now. I'll see how these work out for now and then maybe make the leap. I'm replacing some of the lamps that are out with regular incandescent bulbs. Thanks for your help and advice. The white frosted lights can be overwhelming in certain spots. The pack has pink, red, 1 green - I really like the look of the colored frosted lights. I guess it's just personal taste.

Do you guys wear sunglasses when you play?

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from rmt299:

Frosted for all Playfield Inserts - all general illumination lamps are regular incandescent bulbs (aka the old bulbs). The kit I purchases is all LED Frosted and for the Playfield Inserts ONLY. I find them to be plenty bright - a big jump in brightness from changing over from regular incandescent bulbs. They're all in and working now. I'll see how these work out for now and then maybe make the leap. I'm replacing some of the lamps that are out with regular incandescent bulbs. Thanks for your help and advice. The white frosted lights can be overwhelming in certain spots. The pack has pink, red, 1 green - I really like the look of the colored frosted lights. I guess it's just personal taste.
Do you guys wear sunglasses when you play?

I'm pretty sensitive to bright light and used to hate LEDs....maybe you're more sensitive? Or - perhaps by not balancing out the brightness with the GI as well, you're getting the "pinpoint" effect from the inserts being overwhelming? LEDs are tough to hone in...and a lot of it comes down to experimentation & personal taste. I can't imagine the frosteds being overwhelming -but maybe someone's putting uber-bright LEDs inside the frosteds now? There are so many varieties.

#16 7 years ago

I actually really like them - like you said, I think part of it is just shock as they're so much brighter than the old ones. I just don't think I would want to go any brighter so it's interesting that folks who responded would want to kick it up a notch. I'm going to stick with the incandescents for the general illumination. I really want the playfied to be the star/focus and I like the lamp and spotlight brightness currently. It should provide a nice balance.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from rmt299:

I actually really like them - like you said, I think part of it is just shock as they're so much brighter than the old ones. I just don't think I would want to go any brighter so it's interesting that folks who responded would want to kick it up a notch. I'm going to stick with the incandescents for the general illumination. I really want the playfied to be the star/focus and I like the lamp and spotlight brightness currently. It should provide a nice balance.

Before I liked LEDs, I used LEDs in spotlights. They absolutely do their job MUCH better with LEDs...all of the characters will be nicely lit, as will the playfield. I honestly think if you LED the spots and GI, you won't feel like the inserts are so blinding. Like I said, it creates a "pinpoint effect" ...by using LEDs everywhere, it will actually create a better balance for your eyes.

#18 7 years ago

I like incandescent GI myself with LED inserts, but I play in a decently lit room. My mind may change if I played in the dark.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I like incandescent GI myself with LED inserts, but I play in a decently lit room. My mind may change if I played in the dark.

Yeah I dark-room it....still, I feel like the right color temp LED in GI really brings out colors and details that incandescent just can't. I have to stress - if you LED GI this particular game, use warm white! Cool white makes it weird. I think I have cool/natural white spots on Peter and Brian though, due to their white shirts...I'll have to double check.

#20 7 years ago

Update:
- All Playfield Insert Lights Replaced and Working
- Playfield and Plastics cleaned EXCEPT for under Mini-PF and Chris Ramp - doing that today/tomorrow
- Padded Decals Added on Targets (adding Meg & Chris once Ramps removed)
- Beer Can Decal Replaced
- I'm running current version of software so no pressing need to update - updating to English/German might be a hoot
- Ordered White Rubber Ring Set
- Ordering Color Changing LED for Skillshot

Anybody replace Lois spinner with a wider one? I would like to go wider there. If so, do you have the part #?
Dropped a screw and I think it rolled into the pop bumper - should I remove the pop bumper to get the screw - not sure if it would cause any damage there or not.
Dumb Question - is it safe (and recommended) to vacuum the inside of a pinball machine? I'd use a small brush and obviously be careful of wires, etc. but it seems things are pretty well bolted down.

#21 7 years ago

Great progress!

Dropping a screw is a b*tch, but I strongly suggest you look till you find it.

Vacuuming is fine.

I don't know about spinner.

#22 7 years ago

Do you have a magnet "pointer" type of tool? If not, get one - will definitely help you find lost screws.

#23 7 years ago

Take it from me, a guy named after the first of my family to immigrate to the USA from Sundheim...

German speech on FGY is lame

You lose the custom call outs for a German equivalent of the BBH/TWD redneck voice actor

1 week later
#26 7 years ago

I was able to replace all the rubber with the white set. I cleaned the entire playfield and all the plastics - took the ramps and Stewie Mini-PF off. Novus does work like a charm. Replaced all pinballs with brand new pinballs. The game is playing lightning fast. I hear people complain about Family Guy being too slow all the time. This game is anything but slow. The magnetic pointer made working on the playfield so much easier (best $10 I ever spent) - picking up dropped screws/nuts and helping to position to start fastening screws/nuts. Thank You so much for the tips.

I haven't ordered the color changing LED yet but I'm liking the LEDs.

A few other questions:

Any solution for the lights at the very top of the back of the playfield - these are yellow on the original and they are actually really cheap. I'm thinking about replacing them - the bayonets won't even stay in - I changed one light and the bayonet has fallen out. This is accent lighting and you cannot even see the lights directly when playing so it's no big deal.

Does anybody know how to increase the multi-ball? The default maximum number of balls for Fart Multiball and Stewie Multiball is 4. I'd like to increase this to 5 (or even 6). Lard Multi-Ball is set to 2, I believe - is there a way to increase this to 3?

Has anybody had any success using the paint markers to touch up the cabinet. There are a few spots where a dab of black or red would get rid of those tiny nicks in the cabinet - it's not artwork or anything.

#27 7 years ago

I haven't heard anyone say FGY is slow. That's a weird one!

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from rmt299:

A few other questions:
Any solution for the lights at the very top of the back of the playfield - these are yellow on the original and they are actually really cheap. I'm thinking about replacing them - the bayonets won't even stay in - I changed one light and the bayonet has fallen out. This is accent lighting and you cannot even see the lights directly when playing so it's no big deal.

I used warm white LEDs (the same ones I use for GI, 2-LED clear dome)...but threw a few blue ones behind the Stewie pinball to accent it. The blue kinda glows on the clear shield plastics, which looks nice IMO.

Quoted from rmt299:

Does anybody know how to increase the multi-ball? The default maximum number of balls for Fart Multiball and Stewie Multiball is 4. I'd like to increase this to 5 (or even 6). Lard Multi-Ball is set to 2, I believe - is there a way to increase this to 3?

You can add-a-ball while in Multiball. Hit Meg to light the Seamus "pirate" target...hit the pirate target while in MB to add-a-ball. I think if you have MB's stacked (Lard and Fart) you might be able to hit that target twice and add 2 more balls...I could be wrong, though.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I haven't heard anyone say FGY is slow. That's a weird one!

Slow is probably the wrong word. Stop and go, lacking flow, choppy...not my words - just what some who don't like the game have said. I'm a big fan of the game. Considering this pin came out in the same year as Spiderman...it's a bit of a tough comp.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I used warm white LEDs (the same ones I use for GI, 2-LED clear dome)...but threw a few blue ones behind the Stewie pinball to accent it. The blue kinda glows on the clear shield plastics, which looks nice IMO.

You can add-a-ball while in Multiball. Hit Meg to light the Seamus "pirate" target...hit the pirate target while in MB to add-a-ball. I think if you have MB's stacked (Lard and Fart) you might be able to hit that target twice and add 2 more balls...I could be wrong, though.

I like the idea of the blue lights. I saw the pic above.

Regarding the Multiball, I wasn't clear. I meant - is there a way to change the default so the max number of balls is 6 in Stewie MB and Fart MB and 3 in Lard Multiball? You're correct with the Pirate Target but I the max number of balls is 4.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from rmt299:

I like the idea of the blue lights. I saw the pic above.
Regarding the Multiball, I wasn't clear. I meant - is there a way to change the default so the max number of balls is 6 in Stewie MB and Fart MB and 3 in Lard Multiball? You're correct with the Pirate Target but I the max number of balls is 4.

Don't think so, those MB's are programmed to have a specific amount of balls on purpose.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/family-guy-need-some-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.