4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I have a chance to get one of these pins almost the same price range. I would like some opinions from people that have played both on which one would fit "family fun" label the best. Thanks

#2 4 years ago

Spider-Man, all the way ...but CFTBL is one of the few games I just really, really dislike. I think it's boring and has terrible sound quality and terrible music. If it's for the family - I think it's more likely that the whole family knows Spider-Man but kids don't know who the Creature is and likely won't care about the drive-in movie theme. Spider-Man's just fast, fun, deep, flashy, exciting and modern. Creech is the opposite.

#3 4 years ago

on a just 1 pinball machine or as part of a larger collection? they're really polar opposites in terms of game play but for me they are almost equal in terms of enjoyment. If you have younger kids i would go with spiderman as they don't really get the whole nostalgic spin on creech. Both would compliment eachother well

-c

#4 4 years ago

CFTBL common abbreviation.

I had owned Creech for 6-7 years lots of fun, buy kind of layed back compared to SM. Great game, but can get boring at times. I sold mine, missed it so I bought a different one back but didn't like it next to the newer games in my collection.

Both are fine, but my recommendation goes to SM.

You didn't ask, but I always recommend PotC for a family friendly game, great for all ages, but SM is too.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks rarehero. You are a pinside legend I am just a beginner in this hobby so what you say through your experience means a lot to me.

#6 4 years ago

Love both games but would go with SM.

#7 4 years ago

actually to dive more into this I am 63 yrs old and the Creature kind of brought back some memories and I figured my wife would like it too. But I have been looking seriously at SM the last few weeks and I can only get one or the other. I have a small collection Taxi and DM maybe that info would sway some of your thoughts. I want to get a good value pin. It does not seem to be an easy decision. Oh and by the way I have never played either of them I am only going by the fact they are around my area for sale and the PAPA tutorials. That is the main reason why I reached out to people that have played both.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

actually to dive more into this I am 63 yrs old and the Creature kind of brought back some memories and I figured my wife would like it too. But I have been looking seriously at SM the last few weeks and I can only get one or the other. I have a small collection Taxi and DM maybe that info would sway some of your thoughts. I want to get a good value pin. It does not seem to be an easy decision. Oh and by the way I have never played either of them I am only going by the fact they are around my area for sale and the PAPA tutorials. That is the main reason why I reached out to people that have played both.

Even though *I* don't like Creech, it is a very popular game....so I can't really say it's "bad". It's just not for me. Being 63, you may get WAAAAAY more out of the theme than you would with Spider-Man! I'm 38 and love the Spider-Man movies...so, that goes a long way for me. Also I love Steve Ritchie games and Lyman rulesets - so it hits all my buttons. You say it's for "family fun" ...who's the rest of the family? I hate to be presumptuous, but - grandkids? If you're the one playing it the most ...maybe Creech is the right choice for you! I'm sure the rest of the family would enjoy it no matter what it was - pinball is pinball!

When you watch videos of the 2 games, which looks better to YOU?

I will say this - The ColorDMD on Creech looks AMAZING!

#9 4 years ago

I love creech. I have one and have had SM before. For family fun SM gets my vote. Ball times tend to last longer. Important for the upcoming pin youths.

#10 4 years ago

I will be the one playing it the most by far. I have three grandchildren but two are infants and my grandson is 4 so he would like anything. Its really for me so screech as you call it and may I ask why do you call it that may be better suited for me. I just don't want it to be to tough for my wife to have fun at. Having such a small collection each pin I get I agonize over it being the right ONE!!! So all your feedback is greatly appreciated.

#11 4 years ago

Both are great games. I prefer CFTBL over Spiderman, and given your age you may also because of the theme. CFTBL has a great theme and easy to understand rules. Given both are in similar condition, Spiderman will usually cost $500 - $1000 more, so if they are the same price the Spiderman sounds like a better deal. IMO Spiderman ball times / games tend to be too long, which you may or may not like in a small collection.

I realize I've just given pros and cons to both choices, but I hope the info helps your decision.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

I will be the one playing it the most by far. I have three grandchildren but two are infants and my grandson is 4 so he would like anything. Its really for me so screech as you call it and may I ask why do you call it that may be better suited for me. I just don't want it to be to tough for my wife to have fun at. Having such a small collection each pin I get I agonize over it being the right ONE!!! So all your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, now I'd say you should probably go with Creech. At the end of the day it's probably easier than Spider-Man, too. Spidey is fast, brutal, loud and deep. I think you and the wife will enjoy Creech more, and the kids will play anything lol.

#13 4 years ago

SM is about $500 more.

#14 4 years ago

and it's worth that

#15 4 years ago

I wouldn't really consider Creature a particularly family-friendly choice for young children when compared to Spider-Man. It's all very tongue-in-cheek stuff about the goings-on at the drive-in, but it leans towards the more raunchy and violent whereas Spider-Man is pretty tame. A couple things that come to mind are the woman moaning noises when you coin it up and the video mode where you punch the guy until his teeth fall out. Creature is honestly pretty tame as well when you compare it to stuff like AC/DC or TWD, but hey. My two cents.

#16 4 years ago

My nephews (5,8,8,12) all play SM the most out of my collection. There is nothing wrong with Creech but the fun a little guy/gal can have bashing the sandman and starting the fairly easy multi-ball on Doc-Ok would put SM head of CFTBL by a fair margin (both are good games tho)

#17 4 years ago

SM for sure as a family game. But to me it sounds like you really would rather have Creech. Since they are still pretty young I'd go with what you want. They'll have fun playing pinball with Grandpa either way and if they get into it later you could trade Creech for some other pin they'd like to play.

#18 4 years ago

Thank you to everyone putting in their opinions. A lot of you are on SM and I think you are right. Watching Bowen on the PAPA tutorial really did it for me you could hear from the excitement in his voice playing that pin hell he played for 1 hr and 12 min. Thanks again. Now I just need to find the right one.

#19 4 years ago

I'd say you could make a case for either game. Creature has the most complete package of beautiful artwork, great 50's theme, cool retro soundtrack, great animations & video mode, and witty call outs of any pin, imo. However, to get the most out of the sound a set of upgraded speakers is a must have--it makes a quantum leap in sound quality. Mike D's video mod (replaces the hologram, many have turned blue from age) is visually spectacular and adds a lot to the game. The game play is the only potential let down--it can be tough and frustrating if you do not place your shots well. Spiderman is one of the best Stern's, I'd love to have one, but I have not played it enough to choose between that one and the Creature. I'd get whichever one was in the best condition--not sure you can go totally wrong with either game.

#20 4 years ago

SM w/shaker motor. Creech is the better looking game and has some catchy music but the center scoop is a bit of a sucker shot. It was cool for a while but SM has more to do. You may love Creech though, so best to try both games or at least watch them on youtube.

#21 4 years ago

+1 vote for Spiderman. I've got one on the way. Not everyone likes Creature. Some find it boring. Everybody likes Spiderman.

#22 4 years ago

The thing about Creature is, it has a rule set much closer to System 11. You have to progress through a lot of shots to get to multiball, and then progress through a proceedure to get the jackpot, then on to the super jackpot which requires even more. Easy to understand, hard to master. SM is probably the better game for similar money, but I love the Creech!

#23 4 years ago

I enjoy both games, but for what it's worth, my wife and daughter hate Spider-Man and love Creech.

They enjoy the simpler rule set, and trying to "find" the creature. Neither of them like games with crazy multiball modes though, so that is probably also a factor.

Personally, I am a total sucker for beautiful art packages (and Trudeau layouts), so I would choose Creech over SM any day of the week. I do agree that Spiderman is a total adrenaline rush.

Like many have said above, try to play both before choosing; everybody likes something different about pinball.

#24 4 years ago

Creature is a very love/hate machine I have found. Like tamoore said the rules themselves are basic, but it is a very frustrating game if you're just getting into it.

Family friendly I would say Spimermande`. I think there's more going on to excite a larger audience; long playing, not super hard to make a lot of things happen etc etc. For god sakes the snack bar shot it enough to make you go postal sometimes and I've been playing it for 20+ years!

#25 4 years ago

I'm going to pop a vote for a Whirlwind!!

I know it's not an option that you have stated so far, but I think you'll get a kick out of it! Definitely check it out at some point!

#26 4 years ago

I owned SM for years and would definitely go with CFTBL. That round of SM movies never really clicked for me and I always found the characters annoying. The game is a great player so I suppose if you're a fan of the movies then you have a winning combination.

CFTBL, on the other hand, is timeless classic and the integration with the drive-in theme is top notch. The long ramp ending in the whirlpool is a blast to shoot and searching for the creature is fun and easy to understand. Great artwork and fun dots. CFTBL will be harder to find as the title ages (yes, its old already) and who knows, Stern may drop a SMVE one day. Creature is not nearly as deep as SM, but I have other games that cover that requirement in spades.

Its a win-win, but I'd grab CFTBL while you can and add SM later.

#27 4 years ago

I'm not a big fan of buying games without playing them first. Personally I'm not a big fan of creature but its hard to judge what you will like without playing. I strongly recommend you try to make it to a show where many games are available for play.

#28 4 years ago

I am going to go take a look at it on Sunday. I will let everyone know how this plays out. Thanks for all the info. I keep going back and forth on each pin so playing creech could sway me.

#29 4 years ago

I am a CFTBL fan all the way!

#30 4 years ago

I don't know how old your kids are, but CFTBL includes scenes implying bullying and getting to base with a girl. This may or may not matter to you. If you think it might mattet, download Pinball Arcade and try out the CFTBL table to see for yourself.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

Knowing that your grandchildren are so young and it is for you also (really it is for you), I would do CFTBL since you like the theme. If your grand kids were all 6+ SM is the obvious choice. Play it first! 20 games and see for yourself though.

#32 4 years ago

CFTBL is going to be your best choice. 1950's drive in theme. Great call outs and video modes. 1st pin I ever bought and will never sell. Plus its a 1990's Bally game, much nicer then a modern Stern game, in my useless opinion. Mine plays fast and not an easy game to master, but has easy rules set up for the big points. Add a color DMD to it and its a no brainer. Check out the CFTBL fan club here on pin side. Tons of picture and info on the game. Good luck!

#34 4 years ago

I own both. From your age creech would be my best suggestion for you. My wife loves it as well. Spidey is a great game as well and is crasy fast at times. Creech should be 1000 to 1500 dollars cheaper. SM 5500 a nice creech 4000. Creech is my all time favorite just because it screams pinball....awesome theme and spelling film gives the beginner a straight forward goal to shoot for. You cant go wrong with either but I feel spidey would be a little too busy and fast for a first pin.

#35 4 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the imput. I am going to see the pin on Sat. so I will let you all know. Let me throw a wrench into this thread--- he also has a WW for sale--- kind of makes me wonder??????? I could like WW better and its a lot more less $$$$$

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

Thanks to everyone for the imput. I am going to see the pin on Sat. so I will let you all know. Let me throw a wrench into this thread--- he also has a WW for sale--- kind of makes me wonder??????? I could like WW better and its a lot more less $$$$$

Kids and adults tend to all like WW. Try it out for sure!

Edit - Whirlwind, not Whitewater correct?

#38 4 years ago

Whirlwind is certainly rated "G".
Spiderman is more "PG" and I would argue that Creature is bordering on "PG13".

#39 4 years ago

Hmmmm really???

#40 4 years ago

another reason for looking at spidey is that you can get one for basically the same price as creech +/- $200 they have really come down in price the last year or so.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

another reason for looking at spidey is that you can get one for basically the same price as creech +/- $200 they have really come down in price the last year or so.

how much is CFTBL? $4000+? Be careful on that one.

#42 4 years ago

What are the prices of the pins you are looking at?

#43 4 years ago

$4500 SM and $4200 creech WW $2500

#44 4 years ago

S-M will keep you entertained much longer than the others. CFTBL is super cool but a much tougher game.

#45 4 years ago

CFTBL seems a bit pricey...

Make sure you give WW a go... It's a gem!

#46 4 years ago

My daughter is 5 now and has grown up playing CFTBL since 2, it is a fun game. We also had friends over here the other day with 4 kids aged 4-11 who were playing it for 4 hrs non stop on 4 play. Kids just love playing pinball and wowed by it. If you can play before buying, have a good go of each and check the quality and go with what feels right. But CFTBL for me

Kids just love pins especially if never exposed to them before, but when I had a Ironman it attracted the kids more....

#47 4 years ago

I currently have both SM and CFTBL. I think CFTBL has more of a fun factor, but at the prices you posted it looks overpriced unless a really nice example with no playfield wear and a great cabinet.

Based on the prices you posted SM is the best value of the 3.

SM is a great game too but much deeper and will take you more plays to get into it.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

Hmmmm really???

If this is with regard to why I think CFTBL is bordering on PG13, I'm probably exaggerating the severity. But I was thinking of:
1) A guy is locked in the trunk of a car and this is treated as a humorous situation
2) "KISS" involves a guy getting romantic with a girl

These may not be problems for a teenager, but if you have a 7 year old, it might create some questions.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

If this is with regard to why I think CFTBL is bordering on PG13, I'm probably exaggerating the severity. But I was thinking of:
1) A guy is locked in the trunk of a car and this is treated as a humorous situation
2) "KISS" involves a guy getting romantic with a girl
These may not be problems for a teenager, but if you have a 7 year old, it might create some questions.

I really do not understand how the American culture is so sensitive to these kinds of things.

First and foremost, children wouldn't likely not even notice. In the off chance they did, they'd probably not know what it means, and being energetic as kids are, find something else to think of immediately...

Even if it does 'raises some questions' then you could just talk about it with them. Also, does this suddenly mean kids aren't allowed to watch any movies with romance? Heck, even most cartoon movies have romance.

I'm not from your culture, so I don't have the same mentality... But I just cannot seem to wrap my head around it even if I try.

#50 4 years ago

I have had both... moved SM on a bit ago.. more recently now have creetch.. I LOVE the Creature!!!

Just the odd things going on - you have to explain to a non-pinballer that its not a spooky monster pinball... its a DRIVE IN themed pin!!!.. very creative ,,, I wont get rid of my CFTBL!!!

I actually think that creetch is an undervalued game

my 2 cent

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
$ 50.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 64.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside