(Topic ID: 84391)

family friendly buying advice around $2k?

By aobrien5

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by redman822
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Looking for a good family friendly dmd game. It's a game for me where the theme isn't inappropriate for little kids (like my bsd), so not necessarily looking for bugs bunny. Something mode based with a wizard mode around $2k. Help?

#2 10 years ago

I have a Popeye I would sell you but shipping will kill the deal.

#3 10 years ago

Never even seen one of those. Will have to look up some vids.

#4 10 years ago

World Cup Soccer, all the way.

#5 10 years ago

South Park, Sopranos or Playboy would be great. J/K J/K.

It's a little more than $2K but Roadshow is a great game that your kids as well as you and your wife would LOVE. Rocky and Bullwinkle and friends seems cool too. World Cup Soccer is a good kids game. Not 100% sure on price though. Maybe $2.2-$2.5? Hope that helps. If I can think of some more I'll come back and add to it. Gotta watch a show with the wife.

#6 10 years ago

My little neices like FishTales. The kinda dance in place as they play it.

#7 10 years ago

I have a fish tales and a hurricane that are more (FT) or less (H) in that range. I could probably get them to Indy cheaply for you.

#8 10 years ago

WCS94 is a good one too. My wife might not let me sell that one...

#9 10 years ago

The little ones seem to be drawn to pinball 2000 games. At least mine are. It's a shame you're not considering some great system 11 games. You could probably find two games for that price range and most of them seem pretty family friendly and have great artwork. Junkyard is another DMD that might fit the bill, Apollo 13 as well.

#10 10 years ago

Jurassic Park is another good one. Everybody loves watching the dinosaur eat the pinball:
[WARNING: Guy filming this video says the F-word]

#11 10 years ago

Yeah, I had a dino-mite party for a group of autistic kids 6-14 this past weekend, and JP was of course the biggest hit. They also loved NGG, but that is going to be more than $2K.

#12 10 years ago

Not ruling out sys11, throw those ideas out too.

I was thinking wcs would be too much. I play FT in league all the time. Damn thing is more drainy than my BSD!

Really looking for something with a more interesting play field than BSD. More shots, upper flipper. Modes, etc.

Was thinking SMB but haven't heard good things about the fun factor there.

Saw a Playboy at the Ohio show. Wife wouldn't go for it.

#13 10 years ago

Was looking at JP too, saw your post about the party. Then saw the Dino eating the goat and the kid getting blown off the fence, so that one is borderline, I think. I'm still pushing for it.

#14 10 years ago

Save up a bit more and get a NGG - extra flipper, lots of shots, kids love golphers.

#15 10 years ago

Stick a set of long flippers on Fishtales and it really becomes a pussycat, fun for the little ones. Baywatch is another one of those good playing games that the theme kind of ruins it for family play.

#16 10 years ago

NGG would be great. What's the going rate for those now? I thought they were closer to 4k?

#17 10 years ago

I didnt change mine to family mode for the party because the kids knew the movie by memory anyway, but you can turn off the Timmy electrocution in the settings. It may take off the goat eating animation, but I am not sure. I will see if I can find out.

#18 10 years ago

They can be found for a bit over 3.

Quoted from aobrien5:NGG would be great. What's the going rate for those now? I thought they were closer to 4k?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I didnt change mine to family mode for the party because the kids knew the movie by memory anyway, but you can turn off the Timmy electrocution in the settings. It may takr off the goat eating animation, but I am not sure. I will see if I can find out.

That would be great. Thanks.

Might make the decision!

#20 10 years ago

Check out some of the Sega pins.. you can get several in that range and kids will love them.. My wife's aunt wants me to help her sell her SWT.. and ironically it is 2K.. But there is JP the lost world, Space Jam, Twister, Batman Forever (people keep telling me you can get this under 2K, I have YET to see one) and a bunch more.. probably not SST though..

#21 10 years ago

I have a 2 year old, one 10 year old and 4 other neighborhood kids that have ages from 10-14 and there 2 favorites are Cyclone and Hurricane. Hurricane is a lot of bang for the buck for a family theme.

#22 10 years ago

If the Graphic Realism option has been disabled by your operator, T-Rex will not actually eat the goat on the display.

Found here:
http://pinball.org/rules/jurassicpark.html

#23 10 years ago

Allow me to offer another vote against South Park The Terrance and Phillip match really seals it.

SMB might be a good option; crap gameplay, but good theme and music.

#24 10 years ago

If system 11 games are on the table how about taxi, pinbot, high speed, f-14, bad cats, diner, or system 9 comet and space shuttle?

#25 10 years ago

Flintstones...just picked one up...family friendly theme...lots of shots on the playfield...mode based...great flow...highly recommended

#27 10 years ago

I think you should check out Roadshow. Kids may love Red and Ted as they talk and move their eyes or eat the ball. Great family game. Only thing questionable may be the DMD action where they chase and drive the bulldozer over the cabs. Check it out on YouTube. GL.

#28 10 years ago

JP is awesome! My 9 and 6 year old girls love it.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

I think you should check out roadshow. Kids may love Red and Ted as they talk and move their eyes or eat the ball. Great family game.

I disagree, the disembodied heads on roadshow give me nightmares...

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

I disagree, the disembodied heads on roadshow give me nightmares...

LOL That's how I feel about Funhouse Rudy. CREEPY! LOL Red and Ted are cool though. Just slightly creepy.

Love the shaker motor in RS too. Goes off for everything. Gives you that, I'm driving a truck feeling. My 7y/o daughter LOVES RS.

#31 10 years ago

I'd say Blackrose because of all the DMD modes on it... Kids love video games!

#32 10 years ago

Bad cats for a system 11 if you can find one.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

I'd say Blackrose because of all the DMD modes on it... Kids love video games!

Sounds like he doesn't want any theme with shooting or killing or swearing etc. The video modes in BR are cool. But the Jaws like shark eats people too.

#34 10 years ago

Whirlwind. Ramps, scoops, fun theme, interactive fan topper. Good fun!

#35 10 years ago

I have kids also and for around $2000 I have these on my want lists - "the Sterns" - Nascar, Monopoly, Roller Coaster Tycoon and also Flintstones, Rocky and Bulwinkle, and Jurassic Park. Good luck getting them off the ipad.

#36 10 years ago

I think a good thing would be to know what your family is into.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Sounds like he doesn't want any theme with shooting or killing or swearing etc. The video modes in BR are cool. But the Jaws like shark eats people too.

Killing and swearing? What are talking about? There's no swearing that I know of.. Walk the plank is so comical.. Fake shark chasing you as you swim my kids just beat on the button to get away from it..

#38 10 years ago

Great ideas in here. Thanks everyone. Need to look up some vids for machines I haven't seen before. A newer Stern would be cool to add a different era of game from what I have. Space Shuttle would be awesome some day. Are Monopoly and RCT really in this range without needing a lot of work? I'm hoping my buddy can find me a good deal at MGC.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Killing and swearing? What are talking about? There's no swearing that I know of.. Walk the plank is so comical.. Fake shark chasing you as you swim my kids just beat on the button to get away from it..

LOL No, sorry. That was a general statement. Not specific to BR. I don't know the machine well enough to know everything that goes on in it. Don't know if there's any rough pirate talk or shooting etc. I do know about the shark mode. Don't get me wrong, I thing it's great, but I just wanted to point it out as the OP may not be interested in it for that reason. Same reason why I pointed out that in RS the bulldozer drives over and crushes the cabs. He may not want that either.

#40 10 years ago

If your kids already know and enjoy Monopoly, they'd probably like the machine that much more. You can find nice examples for $2,500.

#41 10 years ago

killing/swearing/guns bad, bulldozer fine. A good Family Mode option would go a long way. On BSD it's mostly pointless. There's only 1 sound I've noticed that it turns off.

#42 10 years ago

My only reservation about getting a Sys11 game for kids is that there is no ball save and play can be quick and frustrating. I don't have any DMD pins and my kids are use to it, but some kids may not like it. Just a thought.

I agree with JP, and my kids also liked DE Batman a lot, which you can usually get pretty cheap. Flintsones was another good recommendation, but you'll be hard pressed to find one under 2K these days. If you're willing to pay a little more, this might be your best choice for the entire family.

#43 10 years ago

I would definitely be look at YT vids and going to the local arcade to put some games in on some machines before making your decision. That way you can let the kids choose too.

My daughter has been begging for a RS ever since playing it and I would buy one if I had the room. That's a great family game that the kids will love as well as the adults. But she only wanted it after playing it. I showed her videos and she couldn't wrap her head around the Red and Ted talking heads. But after playing it and feeling the shaker and stuff, out of 115 games in the arcade, that's the one she said she wanted most of all after the WOZLE. But, that a whole other pricing ballpark.

So definitely take the kids for a day of fun at any arcade you can get to. I drove almost 2 hours to get to the closest one near us. But it was well worth the drive. Good luck with the search.

#44 10 years ago

In fact we will be hitting up an arcade (GameWorks) over Spring Break next week. Hoping they still have a bunch of pins and a variety I can't get locally. My buddy should be getting his WOZ soon, so I'll get my fix on that.

RS would probably be great, but may be a bit over budget. I've got a bunch of great ideas, now to find the deal!

Thanks everyone!

#45 10 years ago

They'll have a ball at the arcade. They may get a bit overwhelmed, but as you bounce from machine to machine just ask them how much they liked what they just played. Then put it on a list. When your done and about ready to live, go back to each machine they liked and try to narrow it down to a couple favorites and then see which one you can get for cheaper.

Good luck and have fun next week.

#46 10 years ago

NBAFB is a hit with kids in my experience - easy to understand, shooting baskets on the playfield and the animated backbox, but with a wizard mode for more advanced players. My four year old likes to be in charge of the lockbar "Shoot" button while I handle the flippers. Nothing objectionable for kids and easy to get under 2K.

#47 10 years ago

I'd also say to give System 11s a good look. So many good games at very reasonable prices. Yes, there is no ball save, but you can play five-ball games instead. I've owned a few Sys. 11s and played most of them. I think my favorite is Cyclone, which I'll keep for many years to come. Just something about it as a total package. HS is a classic, of course, and Diner gives you so many shots for the money (and the best looking cab and backglass of any pin, IMHO). Then there's Bad Cats, Taxi, etc.

#48 10 years ago

JP is a guaranteed multiball every game with the Smart Missle. Kids and guests love multiball. Modes are easy to start as well. Plus guests and kids love the shaker motor.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

NBAFB is a hit with kids in my experience

Quoted from captainadam_21:

JP is a guaranteed multiball every game with the Smart Missile. Kids and guests love multiball. Modes are easy to start as well. Plus guests and kids love the shaker motor.

Well my experience is that kids and adults alike that don't play much pinball love NBAFB. I had limited luck with those types on JP. Maybe the rules were too difficult for people to understand.

My kid friendly game tries are as follows (1 not so popular and 5 really liked):

NBAFB: 5
JP: 2 (sold)
Hook: 3 (sold)
BSD: 2
Spider-Man: 4
Star Trek Premium: TBD
Earthshaker: 3
Comet: 3 (sold)
Getaway: 3
MNF: 2 (sold)
Police Force: 2 (sold)
Dirty Harry: 3 (sold)
IJ4: 3 (sold)
RFM: 4 (gave back to Cliffy)

#50 10 years ago

I'm really looking for a game for me and the wife that won't scare the kids or teach them things they're still too young for. Hence no guns, no horror themes, etc. They'd love to watch t-rex eat the ball, but not the goat, for example.

They'll play whatever I give them to play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,800 (OBO)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/family-friendly-buying-advice-around-2k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.