Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Excalabur
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mr_Towelie_Avatar_022.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

So, was working on a machine and I propped the pf glass against a door that opens inward into my basement from the outside. I know, dumb. But this door is rarely used by anyone and it was only for a minute. I got distracted and left room. Lo and behold, someone actually unlocks door and enters from outside, opens door, tipping glass full frontal onto a tile floor. But here's the crazy thing-doesn't break! Glass fell so evenly it created a cushion of air and landed soft as a feather. After sh***ing a brick, feeling lucky. Anyone see this phenomenon?

#2 10 years ago

Lucky mate

#3 10 years ago

If it had landed on the edges first, you would have had a hell of a mess to clean up. Better a pf glass than a backglass!

#4 10 years ago

you are lucky! very lucky

#5 10 years ago

I have heard that just setting a sheet upright on a cement floor, and the slightest contact of the cement with the edge is enough to make it explode.

I would bet you could let one fall over onto a pinball on the floor, where a normal piece of glass would break, and a tempered sheet would not.

...hmmm I have like 12 sheets of scratched glass I need to get rid of, I should do some youtube testing

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I have heard that just setting a sheet upright on a cement floor, and the slightest contact of the cement with the edge is enough to make it explode.

yep, Ive seen it first hand.

#7 10 years ago

I've had this a few months ago...I took the lockdownbar out my WH2O and while I wasn't looking, the glass slides out of the machine on the ground. The glass wasn't broken !!!

#8 10 years ago

Thank goodness you avoided a tragedy. Never against a door. Are we going to have to send over Mr. Towelie to lecture you on the proper use of towels? He roams the country providing proper towel etiquette but I believe he recently settled down in Colorado for some reason.

Mr_Towelie_Avatar_022.jpgMr_Towelie_Avatar_022.jpg

#9 10 years ago

A little off topic, but mentioning the scratched glass makes me wonder if the Invisiglass scratches and easier or less often than normal glass. I've thought about buying a couple of sheets but have to bring myself to do it.

#10 10 years ago

Similar th
    Ing happened to me with playfield glass - it got tipped over in the garage and landed on the concrete without breaking. I felt pretty lucky that day!

#11 10 years ago

I have toured a window making co. and on the assembly line,
    huge 5' x 5' sheets of glass are standing on edge and an arm
    picks the 1st sheet in line and pulls it over just enough for it to
    drop/fall over onto a table. The table is layered with hard rubber.
    In the rubber are small holes with air coming up through them.

It's probably the same idea as what happened to you, the air cushions
    the fall.
    Now understanding you didn't have air blowing up on the glass,
    these are also HUGE pieces of glass falling over.
    Amazing thing to see.

#12 10 years ago

I had the same thing happen to me the other day! I was fixing the dop targets on Pinbot and had propped the glass up against another cabinet, when my attention starved cat decided it would be cool to rub his face on everything in the basement...including the piece of glass. My back was turned as I was hunched under the playfield but I heard the loudest CRASH! I turned to see my cat tear-assing out of the basement and the piece of glass on the concrete floor...perfectly fine. Whoa!

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

A little off topic, but mentioning the scratched glass makes me wonder if the Invisiglass scratches and easier or less often than normal glass. I've thought about buying a couple of sheets but have to bring myself to do it.

Yes, it will scratch more easily than regular glass, as it's coated. See this thread:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-invisiglass-has-a-scratch-in-it

In general you get best optical properties from glass that's coated for the application required, but the coatings are generally more delicate than a hunk of glass is. (I work in a laser lab.)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/falling-of-glass-phenomenon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.