(Topic ID: 320010)

Fall shaping up for good pin sales

By MtnFrost

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5rg06b0c38y31 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

With falling gas prices, the massive jobs market report, lowest unemployment in decades, and the open job market, we are avoiding a recession and look to be making a soft transition into a stable economy - I suspect as fuel prices drop, we’ll see inflation start to fall as well.

Which should mean a nice pin market for those of us who sell pins.

I’m hopeful to see our market continue to be solid.
    Fingers crossed. I suppose if I had extra cash now’s a great time to pick up summer deals. Alas, I have no more space right now.

#2 1 year ago

Record low unemployment!

Yay stuff that is happening and needs to be discussed here for some reason!

#3 1 year ago

I've been trying to sell a few arcade games for months now at market rate, and I've gotten barely any interest. I'm sending them to auction. I've seen a lot of pinball machines in my neck of the woods on the market for a while, not moving. I think you're wrong in your assessment. I think this recession is gonna get worse before it gets better, so I'm expecting there to be a dip in prices, and I'm planning on buying the dip if possible. I'm gonna be watching Captains Auction (of Banning Museum of Pinball infamy), to see how the prices are this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if they were lower than normal.

#4 1 year ago

Woohoo .... paying 3X as much to fill my tank , food prices up 42%, water, natural gas, electricity and property taxes sky high ...
    Come on pinball manufactures and distributors take my money now!

#5 1 year ago

I will say personally, I'm not buying any games to resell right now because of high gas prices, and this anemic market. Some local stuff I want but not sure I'll be able to find a buyer, and having to borrow a truck and spend $100+ on gas puts a damper on the deals. A couple arcade games at the auction I want for myself, so maybe those potentially lower prices will go in my favor

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

I will say personally, I'm not buying any games to resell right now because of high gas prices, and this anemic market. Some local stuff I want but not sure I'll be able to find a buyer, and having to borrow a truck and spend $100+ on gas puts a damper on the deals. A couple arcade games at the auction I want for myself, so maybe those potentially lower prices will go in my favor

All you have to do is borrow one?

I gotta rent one!

Damn you got it good out there in California!

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All you have to do is borrow one?
    I gotta rent one!
    Damn you got it good out there in California!

Well, got it good out here aside from the whole being in California thing. I'm lucky, I can borrow my work's liftgate truck, or my dad's pickup, but both take diesel which is more expensive than regular gas. I remember my dad said he bought his pickup because diesel was cheaper than gas once upon a time.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Well, got it good out here aside from the whole being in California thing. I'm lucky, I can borrow my work's liftgate truck, or my dad's pickup, but both take diesel which is more expensive than regular gas. I remember my dad said he bought his pickup because diesel was cheaper than gas once upon a time.

Gas has fallen 75 cents a gallon in a couple months and people are all ready starting to shy away from EVs.

We Americans are an impulsive people!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Gas has fallen 75 cents a gallon in a couple months and people are all ready starting to shy away from EVs.
    We Americans are an impulsive people!

Doesn't matter much out here, gas has been and probably always will be the most expensive of any state. Diesel is >$6

#10 1 year ago

What's the definition of good pin sales tho?

The way I see it, distributors are still catching up, stuff is still selling right away because people know product is starting to come in. This I'm sure has helped mitigate some of the silly prices above MSRP for machines still being produced.

Locations seem to be doing alright? I don't get out much these days, but I get the feeling stuff has started up and people are playing.

As far as the used market goes, I feel like as long as someone did not overpay originally.. typically they can get close to or around what they paid for the machine assuming it has been well maintained. Desirable titles at fair prices are snapped up quickly.

As far as profiteering off used pins, I'm glad to see this fall off.. although for the more rare desirable titles.. these will always be a bit silly as I do not think the truly wealthy people are impacted enough to prevent their desire to buy something they want.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Record low unemployment!
    Yay stuff that is happening and needs to be discussed here for some reason!

It shows one of many metrics suggesting we don’t go into a recession - coupled with the massive job market report - they are all metrics in the health of the economy. Inflation is the one I am now watching to see if it falls.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Woohoo .... property taxes sky high

Dont think that one is tied to anything but the value of your home - have to be a big event to drive home prices down. This is Canada, right?

#13 1 year ago
    5rg06b0c38y31 (resized).png5rg06b0c38y31 (resized).png
    #14 1 year ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

[quoted image]

You disagree? Why? I’m not claiming I know the answers, but the signs all seem to be there.

#15 1 year ago

Don't kid yourself - gas prices and a lot of other positive stuff going on is because this is an election year. The true economic picture will reveal itself early in 2023. My feeling is things are about to really turn ugly in about 5 or 6 months. By next Summer cars, houses, and everything else will likely be much cheaper. The free money party is coming to an end!

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Don't kid yourself - gas prices and a lot of other positive stuff going on is because this is an election year. The true economic picture will reveal itself early in 2023. My feeling is things are about to really turn ugly in about 5 or 6 months. By next Summer cars, houses, and everything else will likely be much cheaper. The free money party is coming to an end!

2020's calling, and it wants your paranoid rant back!

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Which should mean a nice pin market for those of us who sell pins.

Are you a distributor, or do you just mean buying pins and then trying to resell them for more money than you paid?

#18 1 year ago

So who in the government “sets” the gas prices? Inquiring minds want to know.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Are you a distributor, or do you just mean buying pins and then trying to resell them for more money than you paid?

Neither. Just as a simple collector and humble restorer, just the average person. I’ll have a few ready by then, I think.

#20 1 year ago

No doubt the pinball market is softening. Games are hanging around longer a going for less.

#21 1 year ago

I've been selling pins for 20 years.

It's ALWAYS a good time to sell pinball machines, it's really as simple as that.

People just can't get enough of 'em!

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Neither. Just as a simple collector and humble restorer, just the average person. I’ll have a few ready by then, I think.

Yeah, this is probably the segment to be impacted the most with average joe pocket money and availability of machines on classified ads.

Unless you have a DB of buyers for high end restoration, or you work from a desirable title, it might always be a bit of a gamble on people willing to pay the premium for the work and parts put in... these are mostly what I see linger on classifieds.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from pokerag2:

No doubt the pinball market is softening. Games are hanging around longer a going for less.

Just summer or plus economy? This is my thinking - economy picks up, summer ends - better sellers market

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Just summer or plus economy? This is my thinking - economy picks up, summer ends - better sellers market

I wouldn’t count on it. Inflation is at an all time high, despite a temporary drop in gas prices, and the Fed is in an unprecedented rate hike cycle.

The Fed Funds rate is now 2.5%. They will likely raise again in September another .75 basis points on their way to 4% by year end.

Mortgage rates, auto loans etc get hammered. They need to create demand destruction to get inflation under control.

Some think and hope that they can engineer a “soft landing” for the economy. I’m hoping that as well.

Plenty of other economists and analysts think a deeper recession is coming as a result of the rate hikes.

The yield curve is inverted and the old saying “don’t fight the Fed” really hasn’t kicked in like every other time in history.

Also, the release of the Oil strategic reserves is ending in October right before the elections. Then the government has to buy back that Oil in 2023.

That’s the real risk timeframe. Big tech companies all over the world are either freezing hiring or laying off people. That will be reflected in coming jobs numbers the next few months.

Inflation and rising interest rates are an insidious disease that affects everyone.

If the S&P 500 drops to 3,300 as some think then trillions of net worth get wiped out temporarily. Or it could go to 4,900 by year end. That’s pretty much the wide range of analysts opinion. And it’s at 4,150 now. Which way do we go?

“Soft landing”? I hope so, it would be a rare occurrence but these are different times.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

“Soft landing”? I hope so, it would be a rare occurrence but these are different times.

These certainly are!

#26 1 year ago

“ Big tech companies all over the world are either freezing hiring or laying off people. That will be reflected in coming jobs numbers the next few months.”

The tech jobs are such a tiny part of the overall job market that I highly doubt that this will show up in the official statistics.

There were 528000 jobs created in July 2022 so why anyone would think a few ten thousand tech jobs would be “reflected in coming jobs numbers” is puzzling. Unless you think that 32000 tech layoffs for all of 2022 (!) so far trump 528000 new jobs created in one month alone.

*numbers from a google search, top results.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

2020's calling, and it wants your paranoid rant back!

Quoted from jackd104:

So who in the government “sets” the gas prices? Inquiring minds want to know.

Not "paranoid" just a realist. In a few months take a look and see who was right on this!

As far as government setting gas prices - they don't set them but they set up policies that manipulate them. Gas will be over $5 a gallon again by next Spring and we will not have a national reserve they can steal gas from to drive prices lower again. But the election will be over so it will not matter to the politicians.

I am not trying to "be negative" but I am smart enough & have been around long enough to know how the game is played.

As far as pinball prices & demand - prices will remain high as long as people are willing to pay crazy prices for machines. In the end it really doesn't matter if you are a true hobbyist because hobbyist are in a hobby because they enjoy the hobby. But at some point people are going to realize spending north or $10k per machine for newer machines is insane. Even prices north of $1000 for EM's you could by 5 years ago for a couple hundred dollars is really kind of crazy.

But as with anything in the real world - supply & demand will set the price and time will tell where those two things end up.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

“ Big tech companies all over the world are either freezing hiring or laying off people. That will be reflected in coming jobs numbers the next few months.”
    The tech jobs are such a tiny part of the overall job market that I highly doubt that this will show up in the official statistics.
    There were 528000 jobs created in July 2022 so why anyone would think a few ten thousand tech jobs would be “reflected in coming jobs numbers” is puzzling. Unless you think that 32000 tech layoffs for all of 2022 (!) so far trump 528000 new jobs created in one month alone.
    *numbers from a google search, top results.

They are higher paying jobs and the numbers are much larger than that. Straight from the recent quarterly earnings conference calls. Just getting started, along with hiring freezes into 2023.

That’s not to mention the mortgage company layoffs, home construction etc that are just now filtering into the system as a result of higher interest rates.

Like i said “soft landing” works for me. I make a lot more $$$

Mix in an upcoming tax hike on the job creators and there are a ton of headwinds. Plus we are in a global recession that has been “less bad” thus far. Hope it stays that way.

#29 1 year ago

Even prices north of $1000 for EM's you could by 5 years ago for a couple hundred dollars is really kind of crazy.

I recently paid “north of $1,000” for an EM high on my short list, which I never thought I would do just a couple years ago. But pricing has gone up enough that I was okay doing so to get the pin.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I recently paid “north of $1,000” for an EM high on my short list, which I never thought I would do just a couple years ago. But pricing has gone up enough that I was okay doing so to get the pin.

As they say "you can't take it with" you so you might as well spend it while you are here to enjoy it and in the end that is what money is for. I always figure once I have my bills covered and a little set back "just in case" it is pointless to worry about money. Life is too short!

#31 1 year ago

Winter is coming, especially in Europe…

#32 1 year ago

As they say "you can't take it with" you so you might as well spend it while you are here to enjoy it and in the end that is what money is for. I always figure once I have my bills covered and a little set back "just in case" it is pointless to worry about money. Life is too short!

I actually go by the general rule of not paying more than I think it will be worth if I ever sell it, even though I don’t ever intend to sell this one. (That at least is a general test as to whether if I’m overpaying.) I’m confident that what I paid now could be considered a bargain in a couple years!

#33 1 year ago

You're dreaming man. Things are fucked despite whatever news channel you watch told you to think.

#34 1 year ago

Luxury items may settle back from sky high they were months ago, May pick up a bit come fall, but prices won’t drop significantly. You all, myself, no one’s immune. If one suffers we all suffer.
    Flippers will hurt now and the most. Already seeing it.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Mix in an upcoming tax hike on the job creators

No such thing happening, and the job creators are the working public, who create the demand. The top are just leeches who add nothing.

Hard to see a hiring freeze in the middle of something such worker demand there currently is 1.8 jobs for every American right now.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from greenhoody:

You're dreaming man. Things are fucked despite whatever news channel you watch told you to think.

Sounds like projection. Which do you think isn’t fact?

We just added 528,000 jobs in July
    We are at record low unemployment
    Gas prices have been falling for the last 7 weeks
    It’s a workers market right now, with 1.8 jobs for each American?
    I mentioned inflation, which I cannot prove will drop, but since fuel prices were a contributing factor, it makes sense that it will start falling off.

I think we are going in the right direction on those markers. Gotta be positive.

#37 1 year ago

Not "paranoid" just a realist. In a few months take a look and see who was right on this!
    As far as government setting gas prices - they don't set them but they set up policies that manipulate them

We shall see - but this being a global issue, I see nothing any one government can do to change it in any significant way. We did release some reserves, but that didn’t do much. Gas prices are falling organically - just supply and demand.

#38 1 year ago

Jobs jobs jobs! Ya i just took a third job. The numbers are climbing because people have to work multiple jobs to put food on the table. Get a clue.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Jobs jobs jobs! Ya i just took a third job. The numbers are climbing because people have to work multiple jobs to put food on the table. Get a clue.

Give me a source for that please. Nothing I’ve read indicates that.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

1 job puts food on the table. 2 jobs pays for kids education. 3 jobs puts pins in the game room

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

1 job puts food on the table. 2 jobs pays for kids education. 3 jobs puts pins in the game room

Ha! And sometimes, true!

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Give me a source for that please. Nothing I’ve read indicates that.

Seriously? U want my employers phone number? Get off ur high horse people are suffering and u wanna pretend its ponys and rainbows.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

No such thing happening, and the job creators are the working public, who create the demand. The top are just leeches who add nothing.
    Hard to see a hiring freeze in the middle of something such worker demand there currently is 1.8 jobs for every American right now.

Lol. Are you paying any attention to what just happened, as in right now?

Bottom line to your question in the title, the jury is out and it could go either way

#44 1 year ago

that will be the day when job creators create more jobs when they dont pay their share of taxes.Trickle down economics my patootie.They are taking that money home in their own accounts.

#45 1 year ago

I rarely ever post in these pricing threads. My 2 cents. I've been buying and selling games on a small scale for 22 years, total over 75. Usually buy projects and fix and shop them. I make a few bucks and learn on the way. I have never lost money on a pin. Some stayed for 15 years, others just one. Pinball machines are a different category than food, fuel, rent, mortgage, school costs etc. When someone wants a title and has the cash, game sells. While the overall economy might affect some sales, an older pinball someone played in their youth and they have the cash, game sold.

I am not in the newer market, so newer Stern's etc, I don't know nor care. But I bet the market for Bally and Stern SS games, WPC games and parts will remain strong.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Seriously? U want my employers phone number? Get off ur high horse people are suffering and u wanna pretend its ponys and rainbows.

So you have no news source. One persons anecdotal evidence isn’t a news source. If you are going to make a point, back it up with evidence. People have suffered - they lost jobs and loved ones due to COVID, Russias invasion hasn’t helped gas and supply issues either, it’s put us in a weird spot. But the indicators are going in the right direction. Being positive isn’t ignoring where we are. No has said anything about ponies and rainbows - but that could be the next pin after TS4…

#47 1 year ago

My mistake, Farfalla already did one

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/farfalla

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've been selling pins for 20 years.
    It's ALWAYS a good time to sell pinball machines, it's really as simple as that.
    People just can't get enough of 'em!

How was the market during the housing crash?

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I’ll have a few ready by then, I think.

So the reason for creating this thread is you just can't wait to gouge your fellow collectors this fall? Because that's what it sounds like

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

How was the market during the housing crash?

GREAT for buying but it sucked for sellers. Some weeks I was picking up 6 to 10 machines. In 2008 I bought over 150 machines.

Craziest story was a Jokerz I picked up about 6 hours from home. Found it listed for sale at 5PM (guy needed it picked up before morning when he had to be out of his house). I hit the road at 6PM - met him at shortly after midnight and got home the following morning at around 6AM to find 3 machines in our garage. A local flipper dropped them off when I was gone and told my son to have me catch up with him when I had time to pay him. Sadly those days are likely long gone. But I am too old for another go-round like that anyway!

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fall-shaping-up-for-good-pin-sales?hl=atari_daze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.