(Topic ID: 41024)

Fair price for WPT, JP and Starship Troopers?

By LordCrom

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Tony01
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Within 100 miles of me are these three different machines listed for sale. WPT is listed on this very site, and eBay. I've gotten a lot of recommendations for it and it comes with a alternate translite. What would a fair price be to pay for this machine?

A JP is listed on eBay in my area and has also been recommended to me as well. I've recently received a recommendation for a Starship Troopers listed on Craigslist in my area. Any recommendations on prices that would be fair for me to pay on either of these two machines? Which one would you choose between JP and Starship Troopers? Which would you recommend between all three?

Thanks in advance! With your help, I should be able to bring one of these home today. I'm working with $2700.

#2 7 years ago

JP over Troopers. I might even say JP over WPT. THey are all priced roughly equally around the 2K area. Maybe less.

JP>WPT>SST

But that isn't taking into account of your taste in games. WPT has the deepest rules and TONS of drop targets. JP has tons of modes and the theme is the hands down winner. SST is a very unique game for its era and has its share of people who swear by it.

Also consider who you are buying from and how. Fellow collectors with reps here are least likely to F you. Retail will charge more but will give you service.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

JP over Troopers. I might even say JP over WPT. THey are all priced roughly equally around the 2K area. Maybe less.
JP>WPT>SST
But that isn't taking into account of your taste in games. WPT has the deepest rules and TONS of drop targets. JP has tons of modes and the theme is the hands down winner. SST is a very unique game for its era and has its share of people who swear by it.
Also consider who you are buying from and how. Fellow collectors with reps here are least likely to F you. Retail will charge more but will give you service.

Games I enjoy very much are CFTBL, WH20, MM, AFM, MB, SS, TZ and Addams Family.

#4 7 years ago

JP has some similarities to Addams Family. If you like TAF, then JP might be a good choice. JP is a great game.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from LordCrom:

Games I enjoy very much are CFTBL, WH20, MM, AFM, MB, SS, TZ and Addams Family.

You seem to be a fan of the mainstream type games from the 90s. Id suggest JP.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

JP>WPT>SST

I love this hobby. I rate them in exactly the opposite order. SST>WPT>JP. And we are both right. Which means to the OP that you should get the one you like the most.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I love this hobby. I rate them in exactly the opposite order. SST>WPT>JP. And we are both right. Which means to the OP that you should get the one you like the most.

If I ever have a SST, and you ever have a JP....we know what to do.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Which means to the OP that you should get the one you like the most.

i don't understand why there are so many posts asking others for opinions on what game to get. how is anyone else going to know what you like? with every game there will be people who love it and hate it.

#10 7 years ago

I would personally go with WPT if it were my choice. They are all good games. Fair prices would be roughly JP - $2000ish. SST - $1600ish. WPT - $2000ish.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

i don't understand why there are so many posts asking others for opinions on what game to get.

I think asking for opinions is reasonable. It's the answers that don't provide the reasons for the opinion that are not helpful and make less sense.

For example, if someone answers I like WPT because it has deep rules, and explain specifically what it is about the rules that they like, then the OP can extrapolate if those reasons would make it a good game or not a good game for himself, based on his personal preferences.

If someone says JP is better than WPT is better than SST with no explanation why, then yes I agree there is no useful info there.

#12 7 years ago

For me I'd say it's WPT > JP > SST. I used to have SST on my want list (on theme alone I'd say it's my favorite), but after playing it nothing really clicked with me, it seemed a little repetitive. JP didn't seem bad to me, but nothing about it seemed great either.

WPT sold me with the uniqueness of the layout (the long shots, the drop targets, the mini-playfield) as well as the depth of the rules.

#13 7 years ago

as far as price, I would say these are your average prices:

WPT 2000
JP 2000
SST 1800

More or less is obviously dependent on condition but I rarely see the titles mentioned selling for over 2500.

#14 7 years ago

I like both WPT and SST. SST is more of a cheap MB regarding rules. WPT rules and layout are unique for a Stern as far as I have owned it.

#15 7 years ago

Looks like JP is out of the running. The liting has been removed. Possibly leaning towards WPT, but everyone is suggesting a $2000 fair price and the listing is for $3000. What's the highest I should be willing to spend on a WPT above the $2000 fair price?

Thanks in advance!

#16 7 years ago

Yup LordCrom, talked to Paul and his JP is indeed gone. Good luck in the search!

#17 7 years ago

There a lot of JP out there you should be able to find one around $1,600..

#18 7 years ago

Hate to get all crazy on ya, but $1600 for a JP in SoCal is not horribly likely. Nothing is impossible, but it sure isn't likely!

#19 7 years ago

SST is a really fun game.

The one I have now was listed at 1800.... I'd say it was worth it.

#20 7 years ago

Well, I paid less than 2000 for my WPT last OCT. and I consider it to be in overall very good shape. I've seen the game sell for 1800-2800 in the last year. 3K sounds like your typical crazy "retail" price IMHO.

#21 7 years ago

It's always amusing to me, people throwing out prices left and right. VERY little talk about condition. What is JP worth? I dunno, $300 watar damanged to $4,500 NIB.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

Yup LordCrom, talked to Paul and his JP is indeed gone. Good luck in the search!

Thanks for checking for me

#23 7 years ago

I'm interested in a east coast wpt if anyone hears of one.

#24 7 years ago

All 3 are great games...I have them all and I play SST the most out of the 3

#25 7 years ago

WPT !! except if you hate drop targets.
And I no not even like poker...

#26 7 years ago

I own JP and SST and love them both. SST doesn't have modes like JP but I love shooting the bugs, nuking the planet, then moving on to the next planet. The T-Rex is cool and the modes and theme is great on JP.

I would say JP from $1,700-2,000 and SST from $1,500- 1,800. No opinion on WPT.

#27 7 years ago

SST is more of 1200-1500 range. Its' hard to move one for over the 1500 mark. JP seems to jump around lately. $1400-2k. WPT I have no idea because I don't care for it and don't follow it. If you can get all 3 for 2700. do it in a second. JP and SST are awesome fun games.

#28 7 years ago

Looks like Starship Troopers is out. I now have a lead on an F-14 Tomcat for a $1000. It looks like its in pretty good condition. What do you think?

#29 7 years ago

$600 - $1,800. Details? Pics? Anything? Without giving any information about the games, you are just getting bogus advice anyway....

Since you appear to be new at this, your idea of a game in "good condition" is probably much different than my idea of a game in "good condition."

Quoted from LordCrom:

in pretty good condition.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from LordCrom:

Looks like Starship Troopers is out. I now have a lead on an F-14 Tomcat for a $1000. It looks like its in pretty good condition. What do you think?

I think you need to make up your mind a little quicker when there's pins for sale at decent prices near you. See how quick they went?!
Just go check it out in person, if you like it, buy it! Get bored with it, sell it! Pretty much what I do.
Not trying to be an ass here, but two decent pins slipped by you in a short time period. Plus you alerted others to these pins for sale in your area that might not have found them otherwise. I learned the hard way on this myself, I found a CFTBL at a local store for $2k last summer and was a little short on cash, I mentioned it to a fellow pinhead (BIG mistake) that lives 1-1/2 hrs. away and he went and swooped it up the next morning. Thanks pal!
So please don't take my advice the wrong way, just take a road trip and get yourself a pin or two and then tell us about what you scored!
Good luck!

#31 7 years ago

I don't say a word.... and I don't consider it mine until it's in my truck. I think we've all learned this the hard way.

Quoted from RonB:

I mentioned it to a fellow pinhead (BIG mistake)

#32 7 years ago

WPT $3000.00 other 2 $1500-2000 depending on condition.

#33 7 years ago

I would have jumped on a SST anyone in the northwest selling SST?

#34 7 years ago

get the F-14 and get started, will have money left over for the next few pins.

#35 7 years ago

I had a nice clean condition F-14. $1K is right for the money.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Prairie Village, KS
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside