Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by arcademan1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I'm looking for a project to work on and came across this game. http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/arcademan1/Fish%20Tales/

It's a little faded, some pf fish wear, needs some TLC, what do you think a fair offer would be to make? Assuming all boards are OK and it's mostly working. Also, add says it has the topper.

It's a little tough for me to price based on that pf is in rough shape, but the cab and bg look pretty good. I don't have much experience with ft execpt for a few plays at expo.

Thanks!

#2 12 years ago

I'll take a guess at about 1200 would be a good offer/deal. Just an opinion.

The reason is you can get average ones for 1500 everywhere on the net. So if this is not the one you want, it would be easy to walk as you can get another one. Just look on Pinball Classified.

Depends on things not known like you said. Boards, switches, how it plays. Really would need to play it to see how much you would have to put into it. Figure how much time + parts you would need to get it to where you would want it, then base the offer on that.

I have seen pins in a worse condition. Cabinet fade and fish decals wear are common on this game.

#3 12 years ago

Yea, I was thinking 1,200 would be a good starting place. But the seller has it listed for 1,800 so we'll see.

I'm not really looking for a fish tales, just a game I could have fun shopping out. Don't want to get into it for too much in case the music drives me crazy So if I don't get this one, no big deal.

#4 12 years ago

that game is in bad shape

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

'll take a guess at about 1200 would be a good offer/deal. Just an opinion.

The reason is you can get average ones for 1500 everywhere on the net. So if this is not the one you want, it would be easy to walk as you can get another one. Just look on Pinball Classified.

Depends on things not known like you said. Boards, switches, how it plays. Really would need to play it to see how much you would have to put into it. Figure how much time + parts you would need to get it to where you would want it, then base the offer on that.

I have seen pins in a worse condition. Cabinet fade and fish decals wear are common on this game.

Agree 100% with Jimjim. If it ALL worked 1200 wouldn't be too bad. It is somewhat of a common machine and the fish wear is on 99% of them I swear. Mine had been touched up and mylard over and honestly it looks pretty good. I don't know that I would want a worse one than this since it is easy to find them, however a "nice" FT can fetch 1800+ it seems lately.

#6 12 years ago

Besides the fish wear, game looks good. Decals are alright, not perfect.

start at 1000, no more than 1200 unless you really, really have to have it. It's a great game.

#7 12 years ago

can get an overlay decal for those fish by the bottom flipper area, common problem with those it seems

#8 12 years ago

We got lucky.. local CL ad had a Fish Tales up for 3 weeks, finally had the dough to pick up our FT out of some guy's garage. Perfect playfield, no insert wear. My favorite game in the collection right now.

man, we got so lucky.. 20 minutes down the road too.

#9 12 years ago

It looked bad in my opinion....look at the flipper position and how bad they need to be adjusted. It's not going to affect gameplay but purple flipper button on one side and white on other. 1200.00 is being generous IMO.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from twizz63:

look at the flipper position and how bad they need to be adjusted

just a loose nut .. .

#11 12 years ago

That is a machine I want so to me I was thinking maybe up to $1,500 but location drives the price up.

#12 12 years ago

Looks clean enough.

$1,000.

#13 12 years ago

Thanks for all the advice guys. Going to try to go see it, 1,200 will be my top dollar.

Update - Seller got back to me her bottom price is 1,500 for the game. I'm going to pass if anyone is interested here is the add.

chicago.craigslist.org link

#14 12 years ago

hi
this is my game and i just dont see all the bad that you guys are talking about on the playfield. i've seen alot worse and only the usual suspects have wear like the fish. the flipper needs a bushing. also this game is unshopped as stated in the ad, but does work 100%.

#15 12 years ago

Welcome.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from arcademan1:

this is my game and i just dont see all the bad that you guys are talking about on the playfield. i've seen alot worse and only the usual suspects have wear like the fish. the flipper needs a bushing. also this game is unshopped as stated in the ad, but does work 100%.

Welcome Arcademan, your price is reasonable for a Fish Tales that has been fully shopped and had the inserts repaired. As it stands, it looks like it is going to cost someone at least few hundred dollars in parts and labor to get it into great shape.

The average price for an average un-shopped machine would be closer to $1500. If that is what you would like to get out of it, you aren't being unreasonable, but it might take longer to sell. We tend to be a very picky bunch.

There is price data on this page of the site.
http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/fish-tales

#17 12 years ago

Right or wrong, FT is a game that just doesn't get a lot of love price-wise.

I know a guy who's sold two for $1600 each; no or very little faded cabinets, one with fresh cabinet decals. Inserts were pretty nice on both and fully LED.

An example of the lack of love from my first sentence would be the pre-owned, low-play, 2008 clear-coated Treasure Cove restoration that was recently on Mr. Pinball for $3400.

Compare that to the price of any Treasure Cove A-List game.

I'd value the game in question at about $1000.

#18 12 years ago

I've been offered one fully shopped and led's for $1800. No fade that I can see.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from arcademan1:

i just dont see all the bad that you guys are talking about on the playfield.

Well first of all welcome to Pinside!! There is plenty of fading in the center of the playfield and it is very visible. For a clean pin/playfield I can see FT going for an average of about $1500-$1600 and maybe a little bit higher. But for a FT that needs to be shopped with very visible wear in the center of the playfield $1800 to $1500 is just too much IMO. Seems like $1200 to $1400 would be a reasonable offer. As donjagra mentioned we are a picky bunch especially when it comes to the playfield.

#20 12 years ago

Not a bad example you have arcademan1. Just some visible wear on the fish, which can be a pain to fix BUT it's doable.
Your machine has alright decals.. not great, but alright... better than mine.

You could sell it for 1500 if you are in no hurry. there'll be plenty of low ball offers for sure.

The thing is.. first person that actually is interested and comes to check it out in person, I would probably give them a break of a couple hundred dollars. **edit** I just rechecked the post up top, and 1800 is quite a bit high, 1500 should be your starting point, imo.

Good luck on the sale and welcome to Pinside!

#21 12 years ago

thanks for all the comments guys. here is one of the problems i have with the origional poster. he made an offer of 1500 then the next day offers 1200 tops. then i see the the thread. i think the 1500 is a fair price and i would work with people but at the 1500 im an including sales tax as we are a business

#22 12 years ago

i was wrong apparently he didnt make an offer of 1500
i guess i read the email saying he'd pay 1500 as an offer. don't want to misquote him

#23 12 years ago

Arcademan1, your original add on CL did say it had the topper didn't it?

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from arcademan1:

I'm including sales tax as we are a business ...

I am actually not too far from you. I've seen a lot of your machines for sale in the past. Do you have a retail store up in Crystal Lake?

#25 12 years ago

The fact that you described it as a "Project" immediatley screams $1000 or less to me....but $1200 doesn't sound too bad.

#26 12 years ago

hi
the ad didn't mention a topper. and it is correct no topper.
what i see as a project means it works 100% but needs to be shopped

#27 12 years ago

Those toppers are typically hard to find and cost a lot.

#28 12 years ago

Ask $1000 for it.

#29 12 years ago

The real test of price on any pinball sale on CL nowadays is if you haven't sold it in a few days time your price is too high....period. The market speaks. If you have a brick and mortar store and can afford to have inventory sit waiting for that sucker, I mean special buyer, that just has to have that title and has no clue as to all the defects pointed out, then you can ask top dollar.

On the flipside, if you price it just right then your inbox will be full. Sure, even if you list it for $100 there will be those that offer you $50, but for the most part, if it is priced correctly then you're inbox will be full of requests.

The sad thing is, it seems everyone prices their items on CL based on:

- I saw one on ebay listed for $2K (sure you did, but did you see it sell for $2K?) Hint #1 - Check the completed sales to see what they are really selling for. Or better yet, check pinside or boston pinball or RGP for accurate pricing.

- I saw a pinball machine on ebay and it sold for $4K (sure you did, but did you notice it was a full restoration by HEP or TreasureCove?) Hint #2 - Be honest with the condition of your machine

- There were only 1500 of these made, so it's worth a premium because of its rarity (no in most cases. Sure there are the few like BBB where rarity combined with special circumstances of Capcom closing its doors. But most times rarity or scarcity is because the title sucked and distributors didn't buy them) Hint #3 - Ignore low production numbers

- It's old so it must be an antique and worth a premium (No...Pinball machines aren't museum pieces. We buy them to play them. Old just means less features and harder to find parts) Hint #4 - Age has little to do with price other than placing it in different eras of game play.

- It's shopped out so add to the price (no, we like to shop them ourselves and your shop job of wiping it with a rag sucks) Hint #5 - Unless it is a full on restoration and you know how to do one, leave it alone....Don't shop it. I'd probably be more interested in it if it is unshopped.

Just my 2c

#30 12 years ago

:applause

#31 12 years ago

Quoted from arcademan1:what i see as a project means it works 100% but needs to be shopped

When i see something listed as "project", I think bad cab, game doesn't work, bad backglass... and any other amount of unknowns. "projects" i assume come from some spider and rodent-ridden storage unit and don't boot up.

#33 12 years ago

You get the $1800?

#34 12 years ago

No but as you read I brought the price down

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 169.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

12,500 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fair-price-for-this-ft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.