• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160223_112609_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoshODBrown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Just replaced the flipper coil stops on my Rocky and Bullwinkle at the end of January while I was rebuilding the entire flipper assemblies. After about 30 games the rivet in the coil stops is starting to detach from the stop plate. Noticed the flipper sinking a tiny bit when it got hit at high speed by the ball, and it also felt like it was slipping a bit mid shot when I was hitting a speeding ball. I made this quick video to show the behaviour, and what was happening to the coil stop in question, and how easy it is to just swap that part out. I ended up replacing it with my old stops, which isn't ideal, but seems to work okay for the time being. Does anyone have a recommendation on who to order GOOD coil stops from that don't fail this bad?

#5 8 years ago

Interesting that the rebuild set I got did not have these washers and when I originally pulled the stops they weren't there either, so whoever rebuilt the flippers last time must have left them out Looking at the manual and the breakout diagram for the assembly, the washer is definitely there. Pretty sure I have some washers like these from another kit that may not have gotten used, so we'll get them on there. I added an annotation to the video so people know they should be there. This was my first time pulling an assembly like that apart, so I guess you just assume everything is correct the first time. Need to account for what corner cutting techs or operators might have done over the years before me! Thank You Russ for pointing that out!

#6 8 years ago

I might add that the old stops that have been in the machine for years seem to be totally fine and they were missing the spring washers that whole time. The fit between the coil and the stop was tight enough that I guess it didn't matter much. I doubt the missing washer had much to do with that rivet coming apart on the newer stop.

#12 8 years ago

These new stops that just failed came from the Playdium Store in Canada. Pretty sure they buy them from someone else... so i'd be interested to know where they get them from so I can avoid that happening again.

The old stops are ok, but i can tell they're not quite 100%. When the Playdium stops were first put in the game the first week of February or so, it was playing AWESOME up until about this past Friday when i discovered they had starting coming loose.

1 month later
#15 8 years ago

So the company I originally got the coil stops from had their supplier send me a new set.... so i waited and waited, and eventually i get a package in the mail... from Marco Specialties. Same coil stops as before, but with these replacements, on one of coil stops the rivet was loose before i even got it out of the packaging, and the other wasnt far behind! Just gave up and had a local pinball repair guy give me a set of stops for a DE machine and they've been fine since. not sure where he got his, all I know is they have lead in them! Yay for lead!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
$ 27.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoshODBrown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/failing-new-flipper-coil-stops?tu=JoshODBrown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.