(Topic ID: 61291)

(Sold Out!!) Sales to benefit daughter of fallen pinsider...

By fattrain

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by micro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

soliver2.jpg
fde0cf488a847a408e1b5a3a9511d65c.png
StairsMasterOverlay01.jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

UPDATE: Found his Pinside username / profile. He has a sweet story posted with a pic of his daughter. Just thought I would share.

RIP Zackcat
http://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/zackcat

fde0cf488a847a408e1b5a3a9511d65c.pngfde0cf488a847a408e1b5a3a9511d65c.png

So it is with a heavy heart that I am posting this... My buddy Scott passed away recently. He was an avid pinball fan, collector, and overall do-good'er in the pinball community. I always saw him at random people's houses and shows helping tinker and fix everything he could. He had a heart of gold and will truly be missed. Scott was taken too early and left behind a young daughter. I have offered to help Scott's family liquidate his collection and EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR will be going to his daughter for college, e.t.c.

I will be seeing the machines this evening and snapping pics. If anyone has specific questions about the machines then feel free to post here and I will be able to answer them tonight.

Knowing Scott, I would imagine most of his games are in good working order and pretty clean.

I don't really have pricing in mind in yet other than to say that the more we could raise for his daughter the better.

(SOLD) Cactus Jacks

(SOLD) Medusa

(SOLD) Haunted House

(SOLD) Firepower

(SOLD) Revenge from Mars

UPDATE - SALE COMPLETE. ~15K was raised in a the span of a week!

#2 10 years ago

Sorry to hear about your friend, Fat. Good for you for helping the family out.

#3 10 years ago

Sorry about your friend. And a nice gesture Fattrain, kudos to you.

#4 10 years ago

Your a stand up guy fat....sorry to hear about your friend Scott.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the kinds words guys. It feels good to be able to help out the family.

The last thing they need right now is CL tire kickers and low-ballers

#6 10 years ago

Yes, thanks for helping with this Fat. I have thought about this in the past. How would my family sell the Arcade equipment. I have somewhat of a plan, but nothing solid. So it's nice to know that others in the Pinball community are willing to help out a family in need.

God's Blessings to his family.

GL on the sell.

Regards,
Victor...

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I can easily understand that.
Our CL is called "Le Bon Coin" and is no better...

Medusa is my favorite. Hope all pins will find a good home.

#8 10 years ago

Very kind of you, I wish you the best of luck, wish I had money for a new pin so I could help them out.

#9 10 years ago

What a nice gesture of you to handle this Justin. I am sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks for taking this on. I wish you weren't on the opposite side of the country. Thankfully, there are plenty of West Coast pinheads to help with the sale. Let us know how it goes.

#11 10 years ago

Sorry to hear that. My condolences to the family. GLWTS!!

#12 10 years ago

Sorry you lost a friend.

Seems the older we get, the more connections we make, and the more common "learning to grieve" comes up... I'm frankly not used to it yet... No choice it appears.

peace to your heart...
-mof

#13 10 years ago

Sorry for your loss, hopefully you are able to raise some fat cash for your friends daughter.

#14 10 years ago

very sad news, and very kind of you to handle this at such a time.
I would be interested in the MEDUSA

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Thanks for the kinds words guys. It feels good to be able to help out the family.

I am not sure if you are married or have kids, but from my vantage point; You are doing probably one of the most respectful acts that I have seen in my 13 years collecting pinball machines. I believe my friend Eric A. also did this as well for a fallen pinball friend.

Take your time if you can and be vigilant in getting what the games are valued at; the family will probably need as much of that as possible. September and the months forward will be big demand months. If you need help, dont be afraid to ask.

Big Props to you,
Scott
Detroit Pinball

#16 10 years ago

Fattrain... real sad news indeed. I didn't know him. He sounded like a great guy.

Thanks for your helping hands, in their time of need.

Kerry

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from detroit_pinball:

I am not sure if you are married or have kids, but from my vantage point; You are doing probably one of the most respectful acts that I have seen in my 13 years collecting pinball machines.

Thank you very much bro.

Checked them all out tonight & snapped pics.

All seem to be working pretty well. The only one thats a little rough around the edges is Cactus Jacks with some poor touch-ups. Definitely a players game. Pics coming in the morning...

#18 10 years ago

It is a good thing you are doing. I had half my left lung removed 3 months ago due to cancer and last week they found new tumors in the other half. While I know I have a number of years left I have pondered selling games just because they represent so much money and I don't want my wife to have to worry about it. I did have to sell a couple of my bigger ticket pins to pay some crazy hospital bills but I have decided to keep the rest of what I have and maybe even add a few more cheaper ones because they do make me happy. I just hope that someday in the future a local pinhead will step up and help my wife sell them off. You Fattrain are a good man.

#19 10 years ago

Sorry for your loss. Best of luck in sales.
Very nice thing to help out a bro's family. All of us need this friend if anything should ever happen I have thought of this scenario for years.

#20 10 years ago

Very admirable gesture man.
Sorry for your loss

#21 10 years ago

An emphatic good luck with the sale; sorry about the circumstances.

#22 10 years ago

Big props to you Justin. Hope it all goes smooth and you don't get low balled.
My condolences.

#23 10 years ago

Cactus Jacks - SOLD

Medusa - SOLD

Haunted House -SOLD

Firepower - SOLD

Revenge from Mars - SOLD

#24 10 years ago

That is a seriously nice original Haunted House. It should get on the upper end of the pricing spectrum IMHO.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

That is a seriously nice original Haunted House. It should get on the upper end of the pricing spectrum IMHO.

Thanks for the kind words. After looking at the pics if you had to throw rough values on everything what would it be?

#26 10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. After looking at the pics if you had to throw rough values on everything what would it be?

I paid $1500 for one in similar shape needing some tweaking and cleaning around 4 years ago. For everyone looking, this one has factory mylar which really helps the lower playfield. It does not help the left scoop (this one has very little wear), the upper left pop (this one has standard wear) and the upper playfield entry (this one has standard wear). I put around $100 into new parts for it and spent around 20 hours cleaning it all up.

The enclosed file is great for redoing that upper playfield.

Hope this helps.

StairsMasterOverlay01.jpgStairsMasterOverlay01.jpg

#27 10 years ago

Thanks! I was planning on right about 1500 so I'm spot on. It also has a few extra plastics that I found and set with the machine as well as the manual.

#28 10 years ago

For pricing, it really depends...You're honestly a bit in a tough spot. You want to price them on the higher end, because understandably you want to maximize the benefit to the family. However, if you do that, then, you and the family will likely be sitting on them longer, and that may be a constant reminder of the past they don't need. If you price them a little lower, then they will move quickly, the family will get the money quicker, and they can begin the healing process sooner.

It's really tough and I don't envy your position. If it were me and I had the storage, I'd go to the family and buy them all at a fair price, and then ask higher prices over the long haul to get them sold to cover your time/expense. That helps maximize $ to the family and gets it done faster. They won't have strangers tramping through their home at a time of mourning. As a buyer, I would feel 'icky' about pulling a machine out of a home that belonged to a deceased loved one, while they tearfully looked on.

I'm not suggesting you try to profit from the situation, but just do what's fair for everyone, while putting money into their pocket and minimizing the trauma.

Good luck.

#29 10 years ago

RFM - Sold to a pinsider who made a generous offer

And thanks Robert. I had considered this but I think we'll be able to move them pretty quick at fair prices. Just waiting on confirmation of my pricing from Scott's father before I post them.

#30 10 years ago

I'm sorry you lost your friend.

I am glad you can help his family through this.

LTG

#31 10 years ago

*BUMP* w/ Prices

#32 10 years ago

If it wasn't for the cost of shipping, I would already have offered to buy the HH. Someone is going to be happy with that one.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

*BUMP* w/ Prices

Very, very nice gesture, Justin. Every time something like this happens and it involves kids, my heart just breaks.

You're a good man, sir!!

#34 10 years ago

You are a good man. All I can say is I hope someone does the same for me when I go.....

#35 10 years ago

OR price them exactly as he has and if a buyer thinks it is too high, he/she can try haggling.

Good luck with the sale and props for helping out his family.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

OR price them exactly as he has and if a buyer thinks it is too high, he/she can remember that the extra hundred or two you're trying to get "discounted" is going to take care of a sweet 6 year old girl who just lost her father.

Fixed that for ya

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Fixed that for ya

Just to clarify, I didn't say that to be a dick. I misinterpreted potential criticism creeping for the prices you posted and tried to help squash it (ends up comments were likely before the prices were posted). I'll keep my mouth shut now. Someone buy these machines.

#38 10 years ago

LOL. No offense taken brutha. It's all good in the hood, I think these games will move pretty quick.

I am open to shipping as long as we can arrange a truck to pick them up in the next week or so.

And remember, don't be shy, shipping two is always a better deal than shipping just one

#39 10 years ago

Firepower Sold

#40 10 years ago

Haunted House Sold

#41 10 years ago

Oh missed this before, sorry aboot your friend fattrain.
Looks like you're doing him & his family right though.

Bump!

#42 10 years ago

kudos to to you train!!! way to help out a friend and pinhead.
my condolences to you and his family

#43 10 years ago

Two Pins Left

Medusa & Cactus Jacks

#44 10 years ago

Updated the first post with Scotts Pinside Profile & it has a great story he wrote

#45 10 years ago

If i had the funds i'd buy Scott's Medusa and fix it up nice.
You're a good man for doing all this for his family Train.

#46 10 years ago

C'mon, buy that Medusa... It's a great pin, I promise: you won't regret it. Friend of mine got one. Great art, interesting PF design and solid rules.

Wish I were closer!

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

C'mon, buy that Medusa... It's a great pin, I promise: you won't regret it. Friend of mine got one. Great art, interesting PF design and solid rules.
Wish I were closer!

Ya that Medusa is cool. The upper playfield zipper flippers get farther apart over time and even the center post between the flippers moves. Pretty trippy.

#48 10 years ago

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I owned a Medusa when I first got into the hobby. With the zipper flippers and the drop targets pop up in sequence is very cool. GLWS.

#49 10 years ago

fattrain - thanks for posting Scott's story, "Seeds of a Pin Forest"! It brought a tear to my eye ;-(

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from PinAddict-JWC:

fattrain - thanks for posting Scott's story, "Seeds of a Pin Forest"! It brought a tear to my eye ;-(

Ya, I definitely got a bit choked up myself.

Oh, and in case any of you west coast people might have met him at a show, this is Scott.

soliver2.jpgsoliver2.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 195.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fafs-pin-collection-to-benefit-daughter-of-fallen-pinhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.