Closeup.JPG
PF Topside.JPG
UnderPF3.JPG
Under PF2.JPG
UnderPF1.JPG
TintedChip.JPG
LitChip.JPG
#1 9 years ago

New member here - I'm just finishing up restoration on a 1967 GTB Sing Along, and the two red(?) 10-point slingshot lamp inserts are a mottled, wimpy reddish white when lit - the color is nowhere near as vibrant as the other insert colors around the PF. I didn't notice this until after I'd completed clearcoating, so I really don't want to bang them out and replace them (and re-clearcoat everything.)

I was thinking about how to improve the red color, and my first idea was some sort of DJ gel plastic, cut to size and placed under the insert, but this could be challenging to fit without gaps and keep in place. Since I had already leveled the inserts with automotive clearcoat, I thought I could do the same underneath, with tinted CC. It would fill any gaps and be a more permanent upgrade.

So I started experimenting. Being a woodworker, I tried mixing up some CC with a few drops of bright red Transtint dye (expensive stuff, but it's really potent. I use it for furniture refinishing & mixing up custom tints). It seemed compatible with the CC, so I poured some of the mixture on a glass plate, and it dried up nice and even. I peeled it off (curled of course) but it looks GREAT - even color, deep red. I took some pics, but they don't properly convey the color evenness with a lamp behind it - it's really much more even to the eye.

So my plan is to mix some more of this up and pipette it into the two inserts, with the playfield upside-down and level to keep it flowing nice and even. Drip just enough to fill/cover the "cup" evenly.

Is this is an advisable thing to do? Any tips/caveats?

Thanks, MC

LitChip.JPGLitChip.JPG TintedChip.JPGTintedChip.JPG
#2 9 years ago

That is an interesting solution.

Did you try a red #44 LED or a #44 bulb with a red bulb condom and find it not satisfactory?

#3 9 years ago

Yeah, what vid said. Get a frosted red while you are at it.

#4 9 years ago

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

#5 9 years ago

Def try condom first like Vid said.

#6 9 years ago

Tried a red LED, not bad. Didn't want to order and wait on a condom. I probably should have just left it there, but I wanted to try my technique.

Mixed it up, did the deed: everything went well, results look great! Tinted CC cured nice and even in the insert cup.

I took before and after pics of the original insert with a standard #44 & #47, then a red LED. Later, my toddler thought it would be helpful to drop Daddy's camera in the toilet , so I sadly have no before pics to share. Which I regret, because this is an improvement over a colored bulb (the mottling evens out) and it would have been nice to show that.

I did take some after pics with my wife's iPhone, and I still can't get very good lit pictures - gotta learn how to use the camera function better. Colors on the screen aren't as deep and even as what my eye sees. Took some under PF shots too.

I don't know how well this would work on faceted inserts, as it would even out any underside cuts - maybe that wouldn't matter.

MC

UnderPF1.JPGUnderPF1.JPG Under PF2.JPGUnder PF2.JPG UnderPF3.JPGUnderPF3.JPG PF Topside.JPGPF Topside.JPG Closeup.JPGCloseup.JPG UnderPF4 -backlit 2.JPGUnderPF4 -backlit 2.JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Birmingham, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/faded-insert-color-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.