(Topic ID: 78877)

Factory cabinet decals vs screening/stencils. (B/W)

By Joshmx19

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Joshmx19
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I was thinking today about which games came with decals from the factory.

I contacted Twisted Pins about a stencil kit for Whirlwind a while back and they said they won't make one, whirlwind was a decal (or maybe they mean decals are available?).

When restoring a Twilight Zone recently I removed the old artwork from the cabinet. I could swear it was a decal, it came up with heat and left a sticky adhesive residue. It was also almost definitely factory.

This goes against what I had assumed, that the cabinets were screened or stenciled back then. I have also seen people make comments about games having original screened cabinets, not decals as a way of determining the value of a game. If I recall the game they were talking about was Medieval Madness.

So what I am really wondering is when did Bally/Williams start using decals or did they never use decals (except for MB) Furthermore, why are MB decals so crappy? Just looking for a little history lesson and clarification.

Thanks!

5 months later
#2 9 years ago

Started using them around 1990. Funhouse was a title that had both screened and decal versions of its side art. The warning at the back of the head box was always silk screened on. Unaware of any MM being silk screened on? TZ was always a decal.

#3 9 years ago

For IJ, I'm going to quote Bryan Kelly:

Bryan_Kelly said:

Now we're going to talk about whether IJ and games like it, were decaled or not. NO THEY WERE NOT!! But if you've ever removed IJ artwork, you'd swear it was a decal you were removing. NO IT WAS NOT!!
With earlier games, the artwork was screened directly unto the wood. At some point, Williams started buying their plywood with a vinyl outer layer applied at the factory. This gave them a perfectly smooth surface to apply the screening. This is not truly a decal, although it may appear so.
Looking at the top of the IJ head in pic one, you'll see what I mean. The same plywood was used for the top and here, I'm removing the vinyl layer. Remember, THIS IS NOT A DECAL!!

Source: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started (p1)

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from 4_amusement_only:

Started using them around 1990. Funhouse was a title that had both screened and decal versions of its side art. The warning at the back of the head box was always silk screened on. Unaware of any MM being silk screened on? TZ was always a decal.

TZ was never a decal.

The vinyl will bunch up just like decals but it's not a decal.

Here is an excellent article:

http://www.flippers.be/pinball_cabinets.html

#5 9 years ago

My T2 (1991) has what appears to be a decal as it is de-laminating from the leg area but it could very well be the vinyl coated plywood that you mention. However, the backbox looks like the sides were screened directly onto standard plywood as scrapes and abrasions show wood and there is some visible planking through the art.

3 weeks later
#6 9 years ago

As I'm getting more experience I am seeing this vinyl coated plywood Bryan mentions. I just did a MB cabinet and it was all over it! I know a lot of pinheads hate decals but I think if prepped right and if these new gen decals are applied and protected correctly they look pretty good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 79.50
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/factory-cabinet-decals-vs-screeningstencils-bw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.