(Topic ID: 26330)

Fact or Fiction: Stern new TF Pin due out in November

By GravitaR

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SternDisappoint.jpg
    transformers.jpg
    45_b6f3ec3d1d249635e324622add939ea2.jpg
    felix.gif
    image.jpg
    cover.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 11 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Reminds me of the telescopes packaged in dept stores with pretty pictures of distant objects with color and Hubble like images. Then the kid/adult takes the scope out to view and he can hardly see anything.

Well that's just marketing business as usual. You can't trust a salesman. You have to do your own analysis. People are bascially lazy and want someone else to do the analysis work. People who look to the seller or advertiser for help, are naive. Most ARE naive, and do what they are told by the seller or the paid reviewers. They listen to advertisements or reviews as truth, not a press release crafted by sellers and marketers.

#152 11 years ago
    Quoted from Benepinballs:

These are just all the unsold pros in inventory being
    Closed out

??? What ??? It's a cheep POS HU game that will be sold at discount stores in the next 9 months.

Way different than the pro TF model.

Stern is out of their mind.

#153 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Well that's just marketing business as usual. You can't trust a salesman. You have to do your own analysis. People are bascially lazy and want someone else to do the analysis work. People who look to the seller or advertiser for help, are naive. Most ARE naive, and do what they are told by the seller or the paid reviewers. They listen to advertisements or reviews as truth, not a press release crafted by sellers and marketers.

I always love the "protect the newbies" types. The newbies? HAHA, it's the collectors paying 150+ bucks for a little TV for their TZ. Hell, I just spent $20 on a magazine. A MAGAZINE.

#154 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Dude, we're just busting Stern's balls. No need to make it personal.

I meant Stern is the moron............You have a complex.

#155 11 years ago

I say we do a squares style football betting pool on the first one of these to show up at a goodwill or salvation army for sale under $300.

#156 11 years ago

But wait! The LIST price is $4,000! $3k is the discounted price!! Doh!

felix.giffelix.gif

#157 11 years ago

Ummm, where the hell are the flippers?

#158 11 years ago

I think they must be half beneath the apron. The slings are very low.

#159 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

The flippers will be coming in update 1.6 in 9 months time

#160 11 years ago

I think it looks fine, and would consider it for 1~1.5 if it had a fun rule/progression/reward to how it plays.

I'm an old gamer that hates the fancy poop they call games now so have gravitated towards pinball more and more. Pinball used to be another awesome game in my collection, anymore its the only thing I consider a "game" and not connect the dots with fancy graphics.

What I do worry about is having to decide between something like this and a 7k game with stupid crap like clearcoated everything and bling all over it with an LCD needed to tell me how awesome the game I'm already playing is.

I just want to game man, could care less if the cab is shot and it's got someone's family christmas picture for a translight.

#161 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

The flippers will be coming in update 1.6 in 9 months time

Classic

#162 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

They've also updated the product description
    "The Pin™ is the latest model to be developed by Stern and joins the company’s existing line-up of Pro, Premium, and Limited Edition models.

The easily assembled Transformers™ Pin™ is built to last and engineered with genuine Stern commercial-quality parts including flippers, slingshots, pop bumpers, tempered playfield glass, and the traditional pinball plunger.

I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet... they have trademarked the word "Pin" ?????!!

Also, I wonder how much "Assembly" is required.. will this thing come in a box like a piece of furniture with maybe the playfield only assembled?

#163 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet... they have trademarked the word "Pin" ?????!!

Haha I noticed that too..

#164 11 years ago

Actually, the trademark registration seems to be specifically for "The Pin". They might have a problem merely trying to apply it to "Pin".

Plus, for those of you tired of "The World's Only Maker of Real Pinball Games", get ready for "Inventing the Future of Pinball". (Seriously.)

#165 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

Actually, the trademark seems to be specifically for "The Pin". They might have a problem merely trying to apply it to "Pin".

look at the second sentence i quoted..

#166 11 years ago

I know, but the official registration is for "The Pin", not "Pin".

Word Mark THE PIN
    Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Pinball machines
    Standard Characters Claimed
    Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
    Serial Number 85650288
    Filing Date June 13, 2012
    Current Basis 1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Published for Opposition November 6, 2012
    Owner (APPLICANT) Stern Pinball, Inc. CORPORATION ILLINOIS 2020 Janice Avenue Melrose Park ILLINOIS 60160
    Attorney of Record Mark R. Galis
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

#167 11 years ago

good trademark... really captures what they sell

45_b6f3ec3d1d249635e324622add939ea2.jpg45_b6f3ec3d1d249635e324622add939ea2.jpg

#168 11 years ago

stern pinball blocked me from commenting and deleted my post yesterday because i stated my opinion saying for 3k keep the cheap plastic s&%t. I could by a real pin for 3000. Stern has just really made me mad. They make to many different versions for one thing they should just make one cool one and stick with that. It would save on production costs and headaches of desinging three different tables thus making a really cool machine for all and cheaper nobody really wants a pro come on but that's all some can afford its dumb. They have lost touch of pinball it feels cheap it plays cheap why is it 6000? I really only like a few stern titles the rest just overated licensed titles that's getting old and we all know it. Im not a stern hatter but they don't have to go and delete a consumers opinion and block me. Bunch of babies up there in melrose park. I may play in touneys with there games doesn't mean I care for them that's just all there is. There is gona be a renaissance in pinball and hopefully it starts with new company's making kick a$$ machines and droping sales on stern then they'll relize they need to step it up its easy to do whatever you want when your the only manufacturer of pin games for the last 13 or so years but new company's are coming and will come hopefully the industry will change. Stern titles I like to play transformers,acdc,tron,simpsons pinball party, lord of the rings,ripleys and sopranos is ok don't care for the theme though that's it though. Company's need to stay away from licenses and make some good old creative games just go wild make something fun and new but still classic feeling. Licenses are marketed to select few which is bad for bussiness see how well avatar did flop.

Post edited by absocountry2 : Profanity edited

#169 11 years ago

paragraphs

#170 11 years ago

Sorry ignore my bad enligh and typing im not a champion at it never made it to highscool english.

#171 11 years ago

Throwing in my nickel's worth. If Stern had folded a decade ago, pinball would not be where it is today. There would not be any new companies starting. Zero growth.

I just hope this product does not hurt the company too much.

Post edited by smokedog : Removed comment about paragraphs

#172 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

If I bought it, the first thing I'd do is set it on fire.

Added cost, but much more satisfaction in renting a Road Roller.

#173 11 years ago
    Quoted from jjsrt8:

Sorry ignore my bad enligh and typing im not a champion at it never made it to highscool english.

lol But you play a mean "RAGROG".

#174 11 years ago

I had my comment deleted and I was blocked as well. Seems like a childish move to me. If people aren't responding well to you'r product, make adjustments on the sales side, not the buy.

#175 11 years ago

Who leaves up negative comments. I can't believe what I read sometimes. FB Is a marketing tool aNd the wrong place for a concerned customer to post negative. If you are shocked they delete said post then I am shocked.

#176 11 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Throwing in my nickel's worth. If Stern had folded a decade ago, pinball would not be where it is today. There would not be any new companies starting. Zero growth.

It's admirable and all that they stuck with it, but Stern staying alive and making tables when no one was doing it doesn't exclude them from criticism. There's no need to bring it up as a prologue to criticism in fear of backlash or as some use it, a defense shield against said criticism. Yah' know?

#177 11 years ago

I was going to leave this alone but I think you guys are missing the point.

1) Cheap, garbage, junk, etc? No one here has played it let alone seen it in anything other than these released pictures. How about trying before hating. If you try it and think it's a piece of crap feel free to share the info. =)

2) It's obvious it wasn't meant for us. It appears to be an experiment to break into a new market outside of the collector. Will it succeed? Who knows. If 3k is really too much no one will buy it. If they do sell in any quantity a number of people here will obviously be amazed.

I'll say one thing, these threads are a nice break from the beat-to-death woz arguments.

#178 11 years ago

Ha! look at the last couple of guys collections. They don't even buy the regular games. Thats the funny part. A bunch of non customers going off on a company they don't support anyway.

Quoted from chessiv:

How about trying before hating. If you try it and think it's a piece of crap feel free to share the info. =)

#179 11 years ago

Looks like a cheap knock off. Nice work!

#180 11 years ago

Here's a thought.. if this didn't have the name "Stern" on it, would we really care this much? I mean at the same time, maybe Stern was approached (and paid) by Hasbro to come up with this for them.. Stern's a business, if someone wants to pay you to do something for them why wouldn't you do it?

#181 11 years ago

Here's a thought.. if this didn't have the name "Stern" on it, would we really care this much? I mean at the same time, maybe Stern was approached (and paid) by Hasbro to come up with this for them.. Stern's a business, if someone wants to pay you to do something for them why wouldn't you do it?

I agree, they are in it for the money. I would like to see one up close to compare.

#182 11 years ago

I thought this might have more bang for the buck.

transformers.jpgtransformers.jpg

#183 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Ha! look at the last couple of guys collections. They don't even buy the regular games. Thats the funny part. A bunch of non customers going off on a company they don't support anyway.

Amazing. Criteria for having a valid point comes down to owning the machine? Just...stunning.

This community is too far ahead of its time for someone like me to appreciate its logic.

#184 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

It's admirable and all that they stuck with it, but Stern staying alive and making tables when no one was doing it doesn't exclude them from criticism. There's no need to bring it up as a prologue to criticism in fear of backlash or as some use it, a defense shield against said criticism. Yah' know?

All I'm saying, is maybe the company does what it needs to do to stay afloat, yah' know? Perhaps this is one of those things.

#185 11 years ago

I would say you should own the product of a company you critic. You betcha.
    I don't have a Mercedes so yes, I won't go around complaining about their business practice.

#186 11 years ago

Wonder if they've got someone at the ready to delete all the comments:

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/posts/411591695557078

#187 11 years ago

ere's a thought.. if this didn't have the name "Stern" on it, would we really care this much?

No we wouldn't, it's just more hate coming from the usual suspects. Even making personal comments about Stern employees. It's just sad. This is the kind of stuff I thought Pinside is trying to stop. But I haven't seen any moderators comments yet. Hopefully this will be addressed on this thread.

Personally I'm glad to see them trying to tap into the cheaper home market. I have my doubts about the success because I believe pinball is dead and it looks too expensive, but I'm glad to see them at least trying something.

It's that cheaper alternative people have been asking for but at first glance it just looks to expensive for what you are getting. Hopefully the price will be lowered and the game will actually be fun to play.

Still the usual suspects will look for negative things to say. Like this somehow effects the quality of future pins and the speed of future updates. Like we know how their business is run and we know how they should use their resources and time better than them.

I look at this as a positive thing. Stern has survived all these years when nobody has. I'd like to think they know a thing or two about building pinball machines. Something you are starting to hear from Jersey Jack now that he is seeing how hard manufacturing a pin really is. He is also getting a heavy dose of how hard it is to please everyone.

Pappy

#188 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

Amazing. Criteria for having a valid point comes down to owning the machine? Just...stunning.

You can speak from experience or you can speak from another place. I'll listen to the guy with experience every time.

Pappy

#189 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

By not including flippers, Stern saves $20 on each unit sold, a massive $80 extra revenue! Fitting thinner, cheaper legs means players can really connect with the game, nudging the machine to keep the ball in play!

#190 11 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

If Stern had folded a decade ago, pinball would not be where it is today. There would not be any new companies starting. Zero growth.

Actually I think otherwise. I think if Stern would have folded 10 years ago, other companies would have picked up the pieces and pinball would be far more interesting and innovative. The fact they were still in business may have held back people to give it a try. The fact there are now at least 4 new companies starting up I see as a result of the games put out by Stern. Thankfully there are passionate people who feel we all deserve better games and since technology improved we now may actually get to see them

#191 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

I know, but the official registration is for "The Pin", not "Pin".
    Word Mark THE PIN
    Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Pinball machines
    Standard Characters Claimed
    Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
    Serial Number 85650288
    Filing Date June 13, 2012
    Current Basis 1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Published for Opposition November 6, 2012
    Owner (APPLICANT) Stern Pinball, Inc. CORPORATION ILLINOIS 2020 Janice Avenue Melrose Park ILLINOIS 60160
    Attorney of Record Mark R. Galis
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Two points: This mark isn't registered. It's only been approved for publication. Also, they are using it inconsistently in their own ads, without the "The."

#192 11 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Actually I think otherwise. I think if Stern would have folded 10 years ago, other companies would have picked up the pieces and pinball would be far more interesting and innovative.

Really doubt it, but no way to tell.
    Somebody has a timemachine we can use? Let's travel back and find out!

#193 11 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Haha thanks yes I can play pinball but can't complete some highscool classes atleast they let me graduate anyway. No one is to stupid to graduate and go to college I did and I have tons of learning issues. If only school were like pinball haha.

#194 11 years ago

There may be an opportunity down the road for these, if the price gets to say, $500, you could stick that PF in a real cabinet, make a nice translite for it, and you'd have a pretty nice custom game for cheap.

#195 11 years ago

For what it's worth: the cheap home version of Batman Dark Knight has apparently only seen a production of 48 units. 1 for a store to see if there was a demand? Iron Man classic numbers are not known in IPDB, but will this Pin see an actual production? Or will it be a small run of demonstration models only? And if so, I'm curious how collectable they will be n a few years.

#196 11 years ago

the cab is 43 long normal game is 50 sp the pf is gonna be like 38-40 inches, I think a normal pf is 46

#197 11 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Actually I think otherwise. I think if Stern would have folded 10 years ago, other companies would have picked up the pieces and pinball would be far more interesting and innovative.

Uh.....no.

#198 11 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Actually I think otherwise. I think if Stern would have folded 10 years ago, other companies would have picked up the pieces and pinball would be far more interesting and innovative. The fact they were still in business may have held back people to give it a try. The fact there are now at least 4 new companies starting up I see as a result of the games put out by Stern.

Typically, people do not start businesses when all other companies have gotten out. I mean, feel free to start producing 8-track players and tapes. That industry is wide open, ripe for new businesses to start up.

The fact they are still in business showed other people that there is money to be made by making pinball machines. Those 4 new companies would probably not exist if Stern had folded up shop.

I hope all those companies succeed, and produce great pins. I happen to like a lot of pins Stern has produced as well, and am glad they are making pins.

#199 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

the cab is 43 long normal game is 50 sp the pf is gonna be like 38-40 inches, I think a normal pf is 46

After you add the flippers, it will be big enough. hahaha

#200 11 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Haha thanks yes I can play pinball but can't complete some highscool classes atleast they let me graduate anyway. No one is to stupid to graduate and go to college I did and I have tons of learning issues. If only school were like pinball haha.

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fact-or-fiction-stern-new-tf-pin-due-out-in-november/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.