(Topic ID: 121926)

Faceoff! Most difficult DMD ever - IM vs BSD.

By Astropin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which is the most difficult DMD game ever put out?”

• IM/IMVE 12 votes
    33%
  • BSD 24 votes
    67%

(36 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 9 years ago

I've seen old posts and I've played both games....and many, many others considered to be "brutal". In my mind these two are at the top of the mountain. Sure there are honorable mentions like AC/DC, Shadow and STTNG but they don't reach the utter brutality of IM or BSD.

To me IM reigns supreme. I've played both and yes I played BSD with the lighting flippers, but IM just has a nastiness to it that seems unrivaled. Right when you have everything set up it punches you in the face and it's all over before you even know what happened.

That being said I would love for people who own both to go into their audits and compare the average game times. I think that will tell the real story.

#2 9 years ago

Neither of those....but IM is way tougher than BSD

#3 9 years ago

i have bsd but never played im. bsd is pretty hard, a bit harder than shadow. neither compare in brutality to my genesis. yeah off topic but what the hell I was the first responder right?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i have bsd but never played im. bsd is pretty hard, a bit harder than Shadow. neither compare in brutality to my Genesis. yeah off topic but what the hell I was the first responder right?

ok second responder...

#5 9 years ago

So it all depends on your definition of difficult. Strictly based on ball times? DMD game? Yeah, maybe IM fits the bill. More so than BSD at least.

#6 9 years ago

IM way harder with the newest code update! BSD is certainly difficult but IM is worse. I still love the pain of a good IM game though.

#7 9 years ago

I have both side by side, and if we are talking the most difficult to shop, BSD wins!!

Game play I would say I have longer games on IM than BSD.

#8 9 years ago

They are both similarly crazy. I think that IM is a shade tougher as every shot on it can be really dangerous if it isn't shot just right, while BSD has a few shots that aren't completely dangerous if you don't shoot them just right.

#9 9 years ago

I guess it depends on how you define difficulty, but if its keeping the ball in play, then I find BSD far harder than IM.

#10 9 years ago

Ball times don't necessarily tell you how difficult a game is. TSPP is one of the hardest games out there to finish but has ball times that are much longer than many easy games.

#11 9 years ago

I own an BSD and play IM on location all the time. IM has insanely hard rules. "Do or Die" and "Jericho" are amazingly difficult. BSD is a tough game to score but it doesn't have as clear goals as IM. In IM you can't get a decent score without completing a "do or die".

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Ball times don't necessarily tell you how difficult a game is. TSPP is one of the hardest games out there to finish but has ball times that are much longer than many easy games.

Well that is what I'm referring to here.....total game time (average).

That being said IM's ultimate wizard mode is probably also the hardest to get to in all of pinball....harder than Valinor or finishing TSPP.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

I have both side by side, and if we are talking the most difficult to shop, BSD wins!!
Game play I would say I have longer games on IM than BSD.

Can you check your audits for your average game times?

#14 9 years ago

Can we please add Avatar to this list. I have both IM and Avatar and the rulesets are almost identical. You must complete the modes in one ball or the insert goes back out. On Avatar has anyone ever got to Final Battle. I have gotten close but no cigar for Na'vi Multiball

#15 9 years ago

I've had 3 BSDs and 2 IMs. I love brutal, ball buster pins. I disagree with the guys here saying IM is harder. Based on what? Getting a decent score? Maybe, maybe not. I prefer to compare them based on objectives. Stacking all 3 multiballs on BSD is way harder that starting DOD or Jericho. There's way more strategy and risk required to get the triple stack on BSD. The Castle Lock targets are drain monsters like no other. "Thiiiiiirrrrty Miiiillion!"

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Neither of those....but IM is way tougher than BSD

I've owned both and definitely think that BSD is the tougher pin. Assuming lightning flippers of course.

But some people take to pins more than others. IM has always seemed to be a pin that I was decent at, from the first time I played it.

#17 9 years ago

I swapped in "regular" flipper bats on my BSD only because they were available in blood red.Bad idea.Makes the brutal game "faster" Swapped the lightnings back in.Ahhh better.

#18 9 years ago

Fish tales

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I've had 3 BSDs and 2 IMs. I love brutal, ball buster pins. I disagree with the guys here saying IM is harder. Based on what? Getting a decent score? Maybe, maybe not. I prefer to compare them based on objectives. Stacking all 3 multiballs on BSD is way harder that starting DOD or Jericho. There's way more strategy and risk required to get the triple stack on BSD. The Castle Lock targets are drain monsters like no other. "Thiiiiiirrrrty Miiiillion!"

Yeah, but considering the triple stack is the "wiz" mode for BSD...Do or Die multiball is leagues harder than that! Has anyone actually legitimately achieved it? Maybe Keith Elwin or Bowen...not sure if even they got it yet? If you base on objectives there is zero question that IM is harder.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah, but considering the triple stack is the "wiz" mode for BSD...Do or Die multiball is leagues harder than that! Has anyone actually legitimately achieved it? Maybe Keith Elwin or Bowen...not sure if even they got it yet? If you base on objectives there is zero question that IM is harder.

True, but that's a unicorn objective. Wasn't really counting that one.

#21 9 years ago

I would consider ball time the initial difficulty level and BSD to be shorter on average for me. IM is certainly deeper so to difficulty level of the wiz is considerably higher. Ball times are ridiculously short on both and I love both but cant understand why.

#22 9 years ago

It would be one short tournament if the pins were BSD and IM. That's for sure. With tears and cursing galore.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

I guess it depends on how you define difficulty, but if its keeping the ball in play, then I find BSD far harder than IM.

This.

#24 9 years ago

I agree, I have bsd and ft and find ft more difficult

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 24.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/faceoff-most-difficult-dmd-ever-im-vs-bsd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.