• Latest reply 4 years ago by jrivelli
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1sd5ph (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi all
Well I opened a Facebook account last Saturday and had to have my it guy help me as I was hacked. I only wanted in so that I would have access to Marketplace which seemed fantastic. I have heard that this is a very common thing to occur on Facebook. What does a guy do if he wants to have access to Marketplace but would prefer not to be hacked? Any other options? Thanks fellas

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi all
Well I opened a Facebook account last Saturday and had to have my it guy help me as I was hacked. I only wanted in so that I would have access to Marketplace which seemed fantastic. I have heard that this is a very common thing to occur on Facebook. What does a guy do if he wants to have access to Marketplace but would prefer not to be hacked? Any other options? Thanks fellas

Setup two factor authentication for facebook.

Rob

#3 4 years ago

You weren't hacked as much as you fell for something and gave up your details somewhere voluntarily. So, be more careful when browsing around, with browser plugins etc

#4 4 years ago

An you elaborate how and where this would be done. Sorry for being a noob but I’m not familiar I with where and how that would be done. How would that prevent someone from hacking me? I guess the question is how did I help to bring this situation to fruition or was it dumb luck

#5 4 years ago

It's not luck. You went off site somewhere and entered your FB details where you shouldn't have. And you don't need an IT guy to help with this, simply change your password. Go change your email password now as well. If you were giving out your FB details to the wrong places I assume that's compromised too. Then turn on 2 factor so you get a text etc to login.

Also, what makes you think you were "hacked" to begin with?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

You weren't hacked as much as you fell for something and gave up your details somewhere voluntarily. So, be more careful when browsing around, with browser plugins etc

Sorry but I am not sure where I gave up info. I was very careful about what I put out there. I did not post anything and only friended a couple folks. The only thing that I may have. Locked on we’re ads on Marketplace. My reason for asking these questions is I would like to have access to Marketplace but I do not want to get ha Jed again and if that is just part of Facebook than I’ll just do without

#7 4 years ago

Oh and by the way, I only used Facebook from my phone. No desktop or other use I phone x use only

#8 4 years ago

lol its not "part of facebook". I've had an account for 14 years, only changed my PW one-time, never been "hacked".

#9 4 years ago

It could very well be that the user name / password you used for Facebook was something you used for another app (like aol, amazon or anywhere) and that was hacked and they just tried it on your fb account.

#10 4 years ago

Look just admit you were drunk and talked a bunch of shit...no one believes the hacking thing anymore

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

It could very well be that the user name / password you used for Facebook was something you used for another app (like aol, amazon or anywhere) and that was hacked and they just tried it on your fb account.

Very possible!! Did not think of that. I have been going through and changing all my pass codes. Was kind of lazy in that dept. no more!!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Very possible!! Did not think of that. I have been going through and changing all my pass codes. Was kind of lazy in that dept. no more!!

So, what exactly happened with your account being 'hacked'?

Rob

#13 4 years ago

This is what occurred. After about three to four days of being if fb, I could no longer access Marketplace. This also happened to my fiancé though she could never access Marketplace for some reason in our desire to try and fix whatever was wrong we came across a phone number for “fb”. Well that turned out to be the hacker dept. at that point given that there is no help from fb, we both just removed the apps from our devices. Would be nice if fb had a public way of communicating a problem was happening so those who were looking for help from the real fb could get it. Oh well. Hate that frickers politics anyway so maybe it is better I don’t support his biz plan. I’ll miss all the neat stuff that apparently can be had via Marketplace but oh well. Also, a couple folks that I had friended. And there we’re only a couple as I have no friends, said they were getting messages that I was in the hospital and to send money. So there you go

#14 4 years ago

The best way to not get "hacked" on Facebook:

Don't use Facebook.

#15 4 years ago

You tried to call Facebook? hahah amazing

#16 4 years ago

Facebook blows , don’t use it . Unfortunately you signed up for an account, good luck getting rid of it if you decide to do so .

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

This is what occurred. After about three to four days of being if fb, I could no longer access Marketplace. This also happened to my fiancé though she could never access Marketplace for some reason in our desire to try and fix whatever was wrong we came across a phone number for “fb”. Well that turned out to be the hacker dept. at that point given that there is no help from fb, we both just removed the apps from our devices. Would be nice if fb had a public way of communicating a problem was happening so those who were looking for help from the real fb could get it. Oh well. Hate that frickers politics anyway so maybe it is better I don’t support his biz plan. I’ll miss all the neat stuff that apparently can be had via Marketplace but oh well. Also, a couple folks that I had friended. And there we’re only a couple as I have no friends, said they were getting messages that I was in the hospital and to send money. So there you go

I don't think you get any phone support from Facebook. I think that is where you got 'hacked'.

Rob

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I don't think you get any phone support from Facebook. I think that is where you got 'hacked'.
Rob

I am sure you’re right now in hind sight. Oh well protective measures have been implemented and another day dawns.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

The best way to not get "hacked" on Facebook:
Don't use Facebook.

Lesson learned

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

I work with network security for my employer and the best advice I can give you is don't use the same password on every site. You could even get a password manager and all you would have to remember is the master password. The manager does the rest for you. Use passwords that are at least 8 to 15 characters long. The longer the better.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

I work with network security for my employer and the best advice I can give you is don't use the same password on every site. You could even get a password manager and all you would have to remember is the master password. The manager does the rest for you. Use passwords that are at least 8 to 15 characters long. The longer the better.

Just don’t use one of the password managers that saves your information up to the cloud. I can’t think of a worse security idea in years.

Eventually we won’t be using passwords, but that will be quite some time.

Also: don’t ever post online know birthday or place of birth. Those two items can get your password reset in a split second

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

You tried to call Facebook? hahah amazing

1sd5ph (resized).jpg1sd5ph (resized).jpg
#23 4 years ago

Thank you for your reply. Thoughtful and helpful. I have gone about changing all to more of a hexadecimal type of format. Not impervious but better than what I was using. Thanks again

#24 4 years ago

And use two tier authentication whenever possible. Facebook has it. Use it for your email account, Amazon, everywhere possible.

#25 4 years ago

I almost signed up for Facebook once.

I had been looking for an old girlfriend I hadn't seen in years and a Google search found her on fb.

Then I saw her pics, so I passed.

#26 4 years ago

Story time: I have a Nest camera in my house. Woke up to dog barking and someone yelling through the camera in the middle of the night. They could see me and my living room. Freaked me out. I unplugged it, called tech support and they told me about two-tier authentication. It requires a text to my phone to be authenticated any time a new device accesses my account. Hasn't happened again.

I'm sure some day the scammers will figure a way past it but, for now, it's a great next level of security. Haven't had an email or fb hack ever since.

Also, on FB you can check your security settings and see all the devices attached to your account. Surprising the first time I saw unknown devices...

Good luck!

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had been looking for an old girlfriend I hadn't seen in years and a Google search found her on fb.

I'm sure she would have been equally horrified...

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I'm sure she would have been equally horrified...

Kinda funny, as I had a buddy over and he had fb, so we opened it up and in one pic she's sitting with a dude that kinda looks like me now.

So my buddy said "she found you". lol

#29 4 years ago

Recommending a password manager is an immediate fail.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

...two-tier authentication. It requires a text to my phone to be authenticated any time a new device accesses my account. Hasn't happened again.
I'm sure some day the scammers will figure a way past it but...

Amen for two factor authentication. It can be a wee bit annoying, but significantly better security.

That being said, hackers have figured out ways around it, especially if you use your phone as the second factor. It is more time consuming and more difficult than standard phishing type attacks but it is definitely possible. One method is they convince the phone carrier that they are you and they want to change the number/lost their phone. Boom, all two factor authentication is then routed their way.

Hence physical keys for two factor authentication are best because if done properly the hacker would have to break into your home and steal the physical key. If done properly. (Looking at you google and your Bluetooth hackable physical keys).

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

One method is they convince the phone carrier that they are you and they want to change

I ran into that awhile back. I wanted to change some of my phone services. The person I first spoke to asked for my security code number. I told them I didn't have one. They informed me that when I started service I was emailed a security code number. I said really ? I don't recall email in 1973. They couldn't give me the number. They couldn't reset it. I hung up.

I called back and got a different person. I asked if I could add a person to my account. No problem. So I added a friend. He then called up, and they let him make changes.

Great security. Anybody could call up, add someone, and they could make changes. But me, the guy paying for it all these years. Couldn't.

LTG : )

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Amen for two factor authentication. It can be a wee bit annoying, but significantly better security.
That being said, hackers have figured out ways around it, especially if you use your phone as the second factor. It is more time consuming and more difficult than standard phishing type attacks but it is definitely possible. One method is they convince the phone carrier that they are you and they want to change the number/lost their phone. Boom, all two factor authentication is then routed their way.
Hence physical keys for two factor authentication are best because if done properly the hacker would have to break into your home and steal the physical key. If done properly. (Looking at you google and your Bluetooth hackable physical keys).

Well, if anything, two tier authentication is more trouble for a thief and they may just move on to a different, easier victim.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Story time: I have a Nest camera in my house. Woke up to dog barking and someone yelling through the camera in the middle of the night. They could see me and my living room. Freaked me out. I unplugged it, called tech support and they told me about two-tier authentication. It requires a text to my phone to be authenticated any time a new device accesses my account. Hasn't happened again.
I'm sure some day the scammers will figure a way past it but, for now, it's a great next level of security. Haven't had an email or fb hack ever since.
Also, on FB you can check your security settings and see all the devices attached to your account. Surprising the first time I saw unknown devices...
Good luck!

« Some content hidden, only visible to registered Pinsiders »
#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Well, if anything, two tier authentication is more trouble for a thief and they may just move on to a different, easier victim.

Not only will it deny the perpetrator access, if you get text message or push notification based 2FA codes those will also alert you that someone logged in successfully with your password.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Similar situation, I used to know an attractive girl in high school. Years later I checked her Facebook photos and she had grown to the size of a hippo...

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Similar situation, I used to know an attractive girl in high school. Years later I checked her Facebook photos and she had grown to the size of a hippo...

This has been my favorite off topic read on here in a very long time. A whole bunch of pinsiders complaining about the internet, people in the pinball hobby poking fun at their ex-GF's because they are fat and old grumpy guys pointing their canes at facebook saying don't use the darn dagnabbit new fangled wubsite lol good stuff!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/facebookgetting-hacked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.