Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gtxjoe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EFE113FF-585D-448D-9506-1C79CA929F7C (resized).png
    2017-12-09 18.23.16 (resized).jpg
    2017-12-09 18.23.25 (resized).jpg
    FB Example (resized).png
    Screenshot_20171120-103309 (resized).png
    FB_IMG_1511037840424 (resized).jpg
    20171119_204411 (resized).jpg
    BA09413F-C742-4451-8700-C9E1AA88411C (resized).png
    facebook-historical-user-count-graph (resized).png
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

Like some have said, it’s just another tool/way of finding a potential pin that u wouldn’t find on Craigslist or word of mouth..I found a pin that I was very interested in earlier this year;left a msg w the owner and purchased the game from him..I’m happy to have a Gottlieb quick draw in my garage..I doubt that I’d ever find/see another one within 700 miles for sale..

#52 6 years ago

so what is the best "group" to join for PA, Ohio, DC, etc? I don't use facebook at all so spoon feed me here.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

That sucks. I hope they don’t use it to show me ads for products I actually would buy.

Ads are a small fraction of what they are doing and plan on doing with the data users supply them. Recently they were trying to launch a competitor to FICO for credit scoring based on your circle of associates on FB. That has real world consequences, unlike an ad for something you want to buy.

#54 6 years ago

My FB Pinball Group is just a place where I can repost all the vintage pinball footage and documentaries I've found on the web over the past few years all in one place! Please join me on this archeological media quest... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1529515124038768/

#55 6 years ago

The best thing about Facebook (versus Craigslist) is I can take a look at the profile and see what I am dealing with, lol. If I get three people interested and I look at their profiles I can see how long each of them have been on facebook etc. A few times I have had mutual friends with someone and that gave me a little more piece of mind when having someone come into my house.

#56 6 years ago

I have sold quite a few pins (8) and vids (10) lately. I posted them on Facebook/Craigslist/Forums.

Most of them sold via Facebook. And the people on Facebook were much easier to deal with, didn't quibble about the price and came and picked them up or had them shipped.

Sorry but Facebook is the way to go for me.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

I have sold quite a few pins (8) and vids (10) lately. I posted them on Facebook/Craigslist/Forums.
    Most of them sold via Facebook. And the people on Facebook were much easier to deal with, didn't quibble about the price and came and picked them up or had them shipped.
    Sorry but Facebook is the way to go for me.

I've noticed stuff sells on Facebook FAST too, even non-game items. I've listed old baby stuff, household goods, etc. and usually have messages within the hour offering to come grab it for asking price. The same stuff on CL these days seems to sit and sit until someone sends a message asking if I'll take half the price. Another Facebook perk is you don't need to give away your phone number to call or text. I can send/receive FB calls/messages right from the app and not have to worry about my number floating around. Not trying to come off as "Facebook rules!" guy, but it has its upsides as well as the downsides to be sure.

#58 6 years ago

I don't think it is a matter of being a FB fan or anything like that, at least to me. What I always look for is this - what works? What is worthwhile? After reading these posts, I'm kind of surprised. It looks like FB is a pretty active area at least for buying and selling pinball machines. And probably as a place to buy other stuff as well. I never thought of it in that way before. Maybe I'll take spend some time there looking around. I'll figure out how to get around the clutter and the nonsense part of it.

#59 6 years ago

I've also joined three different FB EM closed groups so that's another option for FB users. For example EM Pinball Machines for sale has almost 10k members and there is a Williams "8Ball" for sale $700. I've never seen this game ever.

Bruce

#60 6 years ago

I would say at least half of the 21 machines I have sold in the last year have been via Facebook and often to first time / impulse buyers who would never join a pinball website.

#61 6 years ago

I've found buyers much quicker via Facebook over the last year. Pinside seemingly has a majority high-end collectors who want every aspect of a machine to be flawless, facebook I have found excited enthusiasts who want a working game or at least an honest description. I've also found some deals purchasing other things via facebooks marketplace like a Nintendo Switch with a few games for $250 last week. I would recommend it for sure.

#62 6 years ago

Just grabbed a working Flash for 400 bucks off FB tonight. The deals are real! Playfield looks good just need to clean her up and new rubbers.

20171119_204411 (resized).jpg20171119_204411 (resized).jpg

#63 6 years ago

Ebay given the associated fees is for advertising only. (I still use this for upper end/higher priced title advertising with the sale nearly always taking place offline).

Forums have entrenched politics and dogpile potential if a sale goes sour. (Eg: Local forums run with commercial interests at the forefront and see a new container importer reseller as a threat to their revenue stream).

Gumtree/craigslist is full of nutjobs or time wasters. (Which is in reality part and parcel of any free listing service with little to no checks and balances as to validity).

A dedicated facebook group run by impartial administrators offers a decent alternative for both buyer and seller. It's most likely the reason why the membership numbers of the local facebook group dedicated to Aussie pinball sales is booming and has far outstripped the active membership numbers of both of our local forums combined.

#64 6 years ago

Today's $300 fb grab

FB_IMG_1511037840424 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1511037840424 (resized).jpg

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Pinside seemingly has a majority high-end collectors who want every aspect of a machine to be flawless

They want it flawless but priced like a players condition. I think I've heard enough, gonna make a Facebook account just for pinball, seems like that's the place to be for hassle free sales and a price police free zone.

#66 6 years ago

I was browsing around in Facebook last night and saw lots of machines for sale. However they are sort of randomly piled up geography-wise in there and I couldn't figure out a way to look at them by geography so I could see the ones closest by. That's easy to do in Ebay, but if there is a way in Facebook I'm missing it.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I was browsing around in Facebook last night and saw lots of machines for sale. However they are sort of randomly piled up geography-wise in there and I couldn't figure out a way to look at them by geography so I could see the ones closest by. That's easy to do in Ebay, but if there is a way in Facebook I'm missing it.

You should be able to just adjust the filters once you're in the marketplace...i think...

Screenshot_20171120-103309 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171120-103309 (resized).png

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

What's the best way to use Facebook for pinball buying and selling? I don't really use Facebook so would appreciate the guidance.

Marketplace

#69 6 years ago

I'm assuming you need to join Facebook to search marketplace?

#70 6 years ago

Nope, I just checked it out this morning. I'm guessing you need to join to contact someone to complete the deal though.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I'm assuming you need to join Facebook to search marketplace?

That's a good question. I already have a facebook account. If you go on facebook, I think it wants you to setup an account before you can do anything else. Its been like 7 years ago so I really do not remember.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question 100%

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Nope, I just checked it out this morning. I'm guessing you need to join to contact someone to complete the deal though.

Here is a example of a ad.... You click message seller for questions and to make arrangements if you want to purchase.

FB Example (resized).pngFB Example (resized).png

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from HD_Fatboy:

Here is a example of a ad.... You click message seller for questions and to make arrangements if you want to purchase.

Thanks. Just despise Facebook but I'll check this out.

#74 6 years ago

I just purchased an Xbox One X. I am trying to sell my 1.5 year old 1TB Xbox One. I listed it on craigslist, crickets, except for a couple obvious scammers. Just listed it on facebook, I've had over 100 replies, most are garbage or scammers, constant low ballers and ultimately no real buyers. Very frustrating. 95% of the people I responded to didn't answer back, why did they even bother to contact me in the first place? I just deleted the ad on facebook, I am just sick of dealing with this, I just want to sell one simple item and sell it relatively cheap.

If anyone wants to buy a 1TB Xbox One with a Kinect I'll sell it for $110. No controller included. I've never had an issue with it. Any takers? Next stop will be eBay, I was trying to avoid that if possible but it looks like that'll be where I need to get rid of it.

I am about 40 minutes north of Madison/Milwaukee Wisconsin. PM me if anyone is interested.

#75 6 years ago

well while we're at it - I have a ps4 pro and 6 games (COD WW, Horizon, Wipeout, Uncharted 4, NHL 17, COD 4) for sale and controller. MINT condition PM me! ; ) $415 shipped.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Today's $300 fb grab

Does it work? Did you get the liquid refreshments along with it?

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I just purchased an Xbox One X. I am trying to sell my 1.5 year old 1TB Xbox One. I listed it on craigslist, crickets, except for a couple obvious scammers. Just listed it on facebook, I've had over 100 replies, most are garbage or scammers, constant low ballers and ultimately no real buyers. Very frustrating. 95% of the people I responded to didn't answer back, why did they even bother to contact me in the first place? I just deleted the ad on facebook, I am just sick of dealing with this, I just want to sell one simple item and sell it relatively cheap.
    If anyone wants to buy a 1TB Xbox One with a Kinect I'll sell it for $110. No controller included. I've never had an issue with it. Any takers? Next stop will be eBay, I was trying to avoid that if possible but it looks like that'll be where I need to get rid of it.
    I am about 40 minutes north of Madison/Milwaukee Wisconsin. PM me if anyone is interested.

I found a Bronco listed for 50 bucks, had a picture of the machine setting on a porch. I messaged about 10 times no response, clicked on there name, and saw they have not been active for 5 months, so had another one agree to a price, setup a time and date for pickup, then sold it and told me she changed there mind and was going to keep it, with that being said, and how huge Facebook has become you have to watch for all kinds.

#78 6 years ago

I hooked up with a long lost, former girlfriend through Facebook so it works for me. Maybe we need a Tinder or Bumble app for pinball.

Could someone post links to the better Facebook groups selling pinball please. Thanks

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I hooked up with a long lost, former girlfriend through Facebook so it works for me. Maybe we need a Tinder or Bumble app for pinball.
    Could someone post links to the better Facebook groups selling pinball please. Thanks

Type pinball in your facebook search bar.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

well while we're at it - I have a ps4 pro and 6 games (COD WW, Horizon, Wipeout, Uncharted 4, NHL 17, COD 4) for sale and controller. MINT condition PM me! ; ) $415 shipped.

I'll see you and raise an Mattel Intelivision with games and controllers for $100 shipped

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Does it work? Did you get the liquid refreshments along with it?

Yes it works 100% as far as I could tell and it came with some water,sodas,1 Mikes hard lemonade and 2 quarters.

#82 6 years ago

The Facebook market place is a pain for looking for machines for me .can't search newest listed ,people don't message back .Craigslist is still my favorite. The reason is accessibility Facebook is not just marketplace it's a social media app so tons of traffic .

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

But I have always said that Facebook did affect my daily life in a really positive way. Before Facebook rolled around, a large variety of family members, friends, and general acquaintances had a habit of sending me a barrage of emails every day with what they thought were funny jokes, hilarious pictures, stupid news stories, etc. That effectively went to zero now that they do all that on FB.
    So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

LOL. I had the same experience. FB brought me email peace and quiet

2 weeks later
    #84 6 years ago

Finding more real interest both buying and selling on Marketplace. Saw add for this Time Zone late Friday night, messaged the seller, he called back Saturday morning, picked it up for $400 just after noon. Back glass almost perfect, pf has a few worn places. Flippers a little soft, but otherwise in pretty good condition. But funny, second machine in a row where some idiot put posts, and this time home made, in the outlanes. And yes, posts already gone.

2017-12-09 18.23.25 (resized).jpg2017-12-09 18.23.25 (resized).jpg

2017-12-09 18.23.16 (resized).jpg2017-12-09 18.23.16 (resized).jpg

#85 6 years ago

Grabbed a $110 Spanish Eyes from FB a couple of months ago.

#86 6 years ago

I got more interest on my games from fb versus pinside or CL. Must be something.

#87 6 years ago

I think Facebook has become a little better for finding pins locally. When I list want ads on pinside I hear crickets.

#88 6 years ago

The 6 pins I've sold had the most responses from Craigslist.

#89 6 years ago

Hmm...

EFE113FF-585D-448D-9506-1C79CA929F7C (resized).pngEFE113FF-585D-448D-9506-1C79CA929F7C (resized).png

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/facebook-replacing-traditional-markets/page/2?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.