Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by the9gman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So Craigslist has sucked in terms of buyer interest for a long time. I think I just figured out why. I just started using Facebook Marketplace. I'm kinda amazed at how quickly I'm selling stuff. I've used Offerup for remote transactions, but why would you give them a cut for local stuff when Facebook is free? I'm guessing they will eventually start charging for it, but I will at least use it until then.

#2 3 years ago

I'll chat a bit about this, but from a Canadian buyer's side.
    Kijiji is basically Canada's version of craigslist. I have found one or two pinball machines from kijiji, but it seems that there's always way more wanted ads than actual selling ads, and anything decent that gets posted for sale gets snatched up quickly.
    This spring/summer I've turned more to facebook marketplace, and I've had way more luck. So far through facebook marketplace in 2020 I've found an escape from the lost world, a jokerz, a fish tales, and most recently a robocop. I also helped a friend find a data east tmnt through marketplace. I haven't tried selling any pins through marketplace, but other things like baby furniture, random household items, etc. always seem to sell quickly on there for us. So overall I feel facebook marketplace is definitely the way to go now.
    Also, I don't think facebook marketplace will eventually start charging to use it. For many people, including myself, facebook marketplace is the only real reason I'm on there, and facebook knows that. They make their money through all their ads, so the more eyes they get on those, the more they get. so in a way marketplace is already making them more money, even if not directly from the buyers and sellers.

#3 3 years ago

The new way to sell games is to post what you've got here, then put the real ads on other sites that don't charge fees. Like facebook or whatever.

Not me, but others are using this method very efficiently now.

#4 3 years ago

Further, far more people know of and use facebook daily, hell minutely, where Pinside is certainly a niche platform.

#5 3 years ago

Stuff on FB seems to sell ALOT faster than anywhere else. Instant/easy communication in the messaging platform (which offers instant picture and video sending in the app without saving files to your phone) and a much larger audience. If I sell a game I usually post it here, FB, Offer Up/Let Go, and CL and I think 4 of the last 5 sales/trades I have made come from FB. It seems to be a lot easier and less hassle for some reason.

#6 3 years ago

I recently sold 4 of my pinball machines. I used FB Marketplace, Craigslist, Pinside, and Mr Pinball. I had no interest from the last 2. I had lots of interest on FB but I never got a buyer that way. All of my sales came via Craigslist, including a machine that sold for 5 figures. That last one surprised me the most, I would have thought a high dollar pin would sell here but it did not, weird.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The new way to sell games is to post what you got here, then put the real ads on other sites that don't charge fees. Like facebook or whatever.
    Not me, but others are using this method very efficiently now.

I am one of those. Less abuse for "you priced it wrong and I am going to take up an entire thread to tell you why."

#8 3 years ago

WTH is the new one, Mercari?
    What is so different about it?

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

I am one of those. Less abuse for "you priced it wrong and I am going to take up an entire thread to tell you why."

Apparently, of all the rules pinside has put down that is not one of them.

So, the ideal way to do this is to start a thread on pinside just posting games you have and are excited about or just picked up, then have somebody else post the link to whatever website you have actually posted the for sale ads on.

This gets you around the pinside rule of not being able to start a for sale thread not linked to an ad in the marketplace. Obviously, pinside is OK with this. At least as of late.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Apparently, of all the rules pinside has put down that is not one of them.
    So, the ideal way to do this is to start a thread on pinside just posting games you have and are excited about or just picked up, then have somebody else post the link to whatever website you have actually posted the for sale ads on.
    This gets you around the pinside rule of not being able to start a for sale thread not linked to an ad in the marketplace. Obviously, pinside is OK with this. At least as of late.

This is the crap that makes me sick. People dodging a minimal fee. This stuff always comes back in the end.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

This is the crap that makes me sick. People dodging a minimal fee. This stuff always comes back in the end.

I guess getting away with it all comes down to the "presentation".

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/epic-haul-today

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess getting away with it all comes down to the "presentation".
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/epic-haul-today

But that was entertaining and resulted in lots of exta clicks for Pinside.

We need a good Legless Baywatch sort of for sale thread. That was fun!

#13 3 years ago

This is where Odin tell you he’s not on Facebook.

#14 3 years ago

Actually, I donated 10% of the money to Pinside after I sold one of those games. So my support is still there.

I started no thread for my specific game. I posted in California for sale and Northern California for sale without blasting the rest of the site.

The proof getting trolled is right above. I just don't need the extra crap in my life as I enjoy the site every day.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

This is where Odin tell you he’s not on Facebook.

Why bother when you just did that for me.

I looked an old girlfriend up on there once, and that was enough to tell me there was nothing there I needed.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I looked an old girlfriend up on there once, and that was enough to tell me there was nothing there I needed.

Her lucky day!

#17 3 years ago

I just carried on a conversation in Spanish and I don't speak Spanish. Thak you Google Translate.

1 week later
    #18 3 years ago

A little over a week of using Facebook Marketplace and I am sold. Most everything I own was bought on sale. I can sell for my purchase price or even a little better on a lot of this shi*. Not all, but a lot. You will not do that on CL.

3 years later
    #19 3 months ago

3 years later
    bought a few pins on pinside but never had any luck selling them ....Facebook used to be good but now is full of tire kickers and low ball flippers and total idiots .....I have had much more luck and better results on Craigs list lately with much better people selling machines

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/facebook-marketplace-vs-craigslist-vs-offerup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.