(Topic ID: 283657)

Facebook Marketplace- I hate it when....

By tcape61

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tcape61
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Somebody posts a machine for $$$ or best offer, you make an offer above their asking price, they agree to sell it to you. You tell them it's 140 mile drive and when you will be leaving the next morning in order to accomodate their time frame and they ask you to let them know late morning to verify your coming. You let them know you will get their address then. You wake up the next morning, message them and just when it's about 20 minutes before you are leaving after making sure your vehicle is gassed up, ready to roll and all the tools are in the truck for disassembly and the cart is loaded, they message you and they say they decided to hang onto it. You then thank them for not waiting till you have already left....(you knew the general vicinity and were going to start driving, and not get too far before getting their address or turn around). You also state they must have gotten a better offer. Nothing nasty, but boy is it ever disappointing. I should have but didn't add to my last statement to them "after you agreed to sell it to me".
    I don't feel much better now, but I'm a little leery of Marketplace, this is the second time I got burned. Last time I had something to sell,(holiday decorations) the other party agreed to meet me at a designated local location and then never showed up.

#2 3 years ago

Yeah it's a jungle out there right now. Prices are all over the place because when someone wants a game, well, they want it now and if there is nothing out there they pay handsomely for it. I was pretty nervous picking up two in the last couple of weeks. I haven't bought anything for awhile so I was a bit rusty on how to purchase in today's crazy market. I got pretty lucky and landed two really nice machines. The shipping was more expensive the yesteryear but the white glove shipping turned out to be just that not a scratch on either of them.

#3 3 years ago

One thing you have to do is to get the seller to mark it "pending" right away after the deal is made. This stops it from turning up in new peoples searches. Otherwise someone new will inevitably offer more over night. It doesn't 100% guarantee eliminating all troubles, but will help a lot.

My worst experience was driving about 90 miles and giving the guy "a heads up" call when I was ten miles away. He answered and said "sorry man, it's sold". What do you do?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from tcape61:

You tell them it's 140 mile drive and when you will be leaving the next morning

There's the problem. You need to be prepared to leave immediately.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from tcape61:

Somebody posts a machine for $$$ or best offer, you make an offer above their asking price, they agree to sell it to you. You tell them it's 140 mile drive and when you will be leaving the next morning in order to accomodate their time frame and they ask you to let them know late morning to verify your coming. You let them know you will get their address then. You wake up the next morning, message them and just when it's about 20 minutes before you are leaving after making sure your vehicle is gassed up, ready to roll and all the tools are in the truck for disassembly and the cart is loaded, they message you and they say they decided to hang onto it. You then thank them for not waiting till you have already left....(you knew the general vicinity and were going to start driving, and not get too far before getting their address or turn around). You also state they must have gotten a better offer. Nothing nasty, but boy is it ever disappointing. I should have but didn't add to my last statement to them "after you agreed to sell it to me".
    I don't feel much better now, but I'm a little leery of Marketplace, this is the second time I got burned. Last time I had something to sell,(holiday decorations) the other party agreed to meet me at a designated local location and then never showed up.

At least you didn't leave yet! Win some, lose some...

#6 3 years ago

Always send a deposit via PayPal, don’t care if it’s the next street over. I always politely ask them to mark it sold so I feel better about pulling up with a few hundred cash

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from dozer1:

One thing you have to do is to get the seller to mark it "pending" right away after the deal is made. This stops it from turning up in new peoples searches. Otherwise someone new will inevitably offer more over night. It doesn't 100% guarantee eliminating all troubles, but will help a lot.
    My worst experience was driving about 90 miles and giving the guy "a heads up" call when I was ten miles away. He answered and said "sorry man, it's sold". What do you do?

Good idea!

Thanks for the info...

I appreciate it....

Good thing is.... I still have my money!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/facebook-marketplace-i-hate-it-when and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.